Season 2022 Player Movements

All discussions to do with the SANFL

Re: Season 2022 Player Movements

Postby goddy11 » Mon Oct 11, 2021 3:32 pm

Tyson Stengle has signed with Geelong on a two-year deal.
goddy11
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 559 times
Been liked: 211 times
Grassroots Team: Myponga-Sellicks

Postby Pokitren » Mon Oct 11, 2021 4:38 pm

Mr Fuller wrote:
MJP1993 wrote:Any truth in Rucci’s comments on Sen that Gray if he’s not picked up in the draft will go to the eagles

Not sure what Rucci said but I think we had signed up Sam Gray following the collapse of the Maggies which also saw Kirkwood go to Sturt. Unfortunately shortly after the Power drafted him so we never saw him in eagles colours.

He'd be a good replacement for Stengle.

You're telling the truth. It would be a good replacement for Stengle. I noticed that too.
Pokitren
Mini-League

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 0 time
Grassroots Team: Virginia

Postby Jim05 » Mon Oct 11, 2021 4:41 pm

Pokitren wrote:
Mr Fuller wrote:
MJP1993 wrote:Any truth in Rucci’s comments on Sen that Gray if he’s not picked up in the draft will go to the eagles

Not sure what Rucci said but I think we had signed up Sam Gray following the collapse of the Maggies which also saw Kirkwood go to Sturt. Unfortunately shortly after the Power drafted him so we never saw him in eagles colours.

He'd be a good replacement for Stengle.

You're telling the truth. It would be a good replacement for Stengle. I noticed that too.
He has signed at Port Districts. Won’t be playing SANFL
Jim05
Coach

Has liked: 1125 times
Been liked: 3534 times
Grassroots Team: South Gawler

Postby northerner » Tue Oct 12, 2021 12:03 pm

Last one out, turn off the lights... so much top tier talent not interested in continuing in the SANFL.
28yo elite stars just dont see the comp as being worth the extra commitment.
If we cant get local guys like Gray, Stevens and Grigg to play SANFL, how can we encourage talent from interstate?
northerner
Reserves

Has liked: 206 times
Been liked: 429 times
Grassroots Team: Eastern Park

Postby whufc » Tue Oct 12, 2021 12:11 pm

northerner wrote:Last one out, turn off the lights... so much top tier talent not interested in continuing in the SANFL.
If we cant get local guys like Gray, Stevens and Grigg to play SANFL, how can we encourage talent from interstate?

Agree.

SANFL clubs need to somehow and i don't have the answer get themselves into a financial position so they can increase the salary cap and make a real clear gap between AFL to SANFL and then SANFL to Ammo/Country. At the moment that lower tier pay gap is not enough to justify the increased demands. If the SANFL clubs cant get themselves in a position to increase the salary cap then they need to seriously consider reducing the demand on players.

Look at players like Mitch Grigg.he now has the chance to reduce his commitment both mentally and physically, in turn somewhat increasing his length of career whilst getting to earn a similar amount playing for a longer time at country/ammo level.

He could now play another 10 years at ammo level earning $1k a week.
RIP PH408 63notoutforever
whufc
Coach

Has liked: 5565 times
Been liked: 2519 times
Grassroots Team: BSR

Postby Booney » Tue Oct 12, 2021 12:18 pm

whufc wrote:
northerner wrote:Last one out, turn off the lights... so much top tier talent not interested in continuing in the SANFL.

Agree.

SANFL clubs need to somehow and i don't have the answer get themselves into a financial position so they can increase the salary cap and make a real clear gap between AFL to SANFL and then SANFL to Ammo/Country. At the moment that lower tier pay gap is not enough to justify the increased demands. If the SANFL clubs cant get themselves in a position to increase the salary cap then they need to seriously consider reducing the demand on players.

Look at players like Mitch Grigg.he now has the chance to reduce his commitment both mentally and physically, in turn somewhat increasing his length of career whilst getting to earn a similar amount playing for a longer time at country/ammo level.

For those of us not lucky enough to play at the top level (AFL) we really don't appreciate the demanding nature of the business, I reckon we'll be finding more players going from AFL level to grass roots ranks simply to enjoy the game again, to fall in love with the game again. Particularly those who have been in an all consuming environment like Gray has for 8 years whereas Grigg had 4 years at AFL level and came back to the SANFL aged 23.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7467 times
Been liked: 10755 times

Postby Mr Fuller » Tue Oct 12, 2021 12:24 pm

whufc wrote:

Agree.

Last year we had Gibbs and Puopolo return and before that Menzel so they do come back to play for the SANFL but perhaps not in the same numbers as they did 10-15 years ago.

Not surprising really given clubs can't pay big $$ for their service like they used to. So the financial incentive is off the table. And returning AFL players at that age know they aren't going to get another crack so the ambition isn't there. The only reason left that they would go around in the SANFL is for enjoyment but a player in their late 20s/early 30s can easily be weighed down by work and family commitments.

That said there I haven't seen any slowdown of talent in their early 20s seeking to play in the SANFL. If anything this has been increased by Covid and the uncertainty of interstate leagues being disrupted. Its blokes in their early to mid 20s that clubs should be targeting anyway.
Mr Fuller
Reserves

Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 123 times

Postby whufc » Tue Oct 12, 2021 12:28 pm

Booney wrote:
whufc wrote:

Agree.

For those of us not lucky enough to play at the top level (AFL) we really don't appreciate the demanding nature of the business, I reckon we'll be finding more players going from AFL level to grass roots ranks simply to enjoy the game again, to fall in love with the game again. Particularly those who have been in an all consuming environment like Gray has for 8 years whereas Grigg had 4 years at AFL level and came back to the SANFL aged 23.

Yep, you do think then the SANFL needs to seriously consider the level of commitment they require. Obviously all clubs would need to be on the same page.

Is there also a case for many (not Grigg though) that they are playing from potentially 5 years old - 15 year old's at their junior club and then go and have 3-4 years at most at SANFL junior level. They go on to the AFL get delisted and have more of an emotional affiliation with their original club due to longer time spent there.
RIP PH408 63notoutforever
whufc
Coach

Has liked: 5565 times
Been liked: 2519 times
Grassroots Team: BSR

Postby Jimmy_041 » Tue Oct 12, 2021 1:22 pm

whufc wrote:

Agree.

He wont get $1,000 pw at Ch9AdFL level as a player

But you are right about commitment at SANFL level

Former AFL midfielder Jack Trengove has revealed he now cherishes every moment on the field after claiming the Adelaide Footy League’s top individual honour last night.

Jack Trengove says the 2021 season is the most enjoyable he’s ever had after claiming the Adelaide Footy League’s top individual honour on Thursday night.

The former Port Adelaide and Melbourne polled 17 votes to win the Keith Sims OAM Medal for division one’s best and fairest.

Trengove entered the count as the hot favourite but it was a tighter than expected race with Tea Tree Gully’s Chad Schoenmakers and Port District’s ineligible Louis Sharrad finishing just three votes behind.

It capped off a brilliant individual year for the 30-year-old 89-game ex-AFL player, who revealed he was reinvigorated this season by the passion to play with mates at PAOC.

“To be honest this year’s been the most enjoyable year of footy I’ve ever had,” Trengove said after accepting the award following Thursday night’s virtual count.

“It’s an absolute dream to finish off and play some footy at Prince Alfred Old Collegians with a lot of old school mates.

“There’s no better club to be at at the moment.

“There were moments there I didn’t think I was going to play footy again so I just cherish every moment that I’m out there now.”

After his first season at the club last year was curtailed by injury, Trengove returned to play every game so far this season for the grand final-bound Old Reds.

The gun onballer’s stellar performances have been a key part in their charge to the minor premiership with 15 wins over the regular season.

PAOC then booked its spot in the division one decider against Payneham Norwood Union this Saturday by beating arch rival St Peter’s Old Collegians in the preliminary final.

“The big focus for us is to finish off really well this Saturday,” Trengove said.

“I really hope that we can do everyone proud this weekend because I believe a lot of people in these four walls deserve some success.

“I know I’ll be doing everything in my power to make sure we have a smile on our face when the final siren goes on Saturday.”
Jimmy_041
Coach

Has liked: 718 times
Been liked: 1071 times
Grassroots Team: Prince Alfred OC

Postby Eagles2014 » Tue Oct 12, 2021 1:38 pm

The fact Eagles alone have over 50 applications of players wanting to come here says something. Although the ex AFL players in their late 20's will go to country for money, the 21-25 year olds will be coming here in large numbers. Especially in Victoria, they are all sick of the Reserves comp over there, about 22 teams, don't play each other once, called off all the time. They all want to play SANFL as see it as their best chance to get to AFL playing in the best local comp by a mile.
Eagles2014
Veteran

Has liked: 124 times
Been liked: 524 times

Postby jo172 » Tue Oct 12, 2021 1:56 pm

Anecdotally there are two issues.

The first is commitment. Playing league requires almost as much commitment as playing AFL for a fraction of the reward (and not just income, status and otherwise). The commitment would need to have or the remuneration would need to increase.

The more fundamental issue is that the SANFL hasn't been the main game for anyone when they were a child still capable of playing. Everyone who is capable of playing wanted to play AFL. You will only get so far as blokes fall back option.

I don't think by any means it's drastic or terminal. Likely a long gradual decline.
jo172
League - Top 5

Has liked: 1198 times
Been liked: 724 times

Postby Mr Fuller » Tue Oct 12, 2021 2:11 pm

Any stats available on the average age of SANFL player across the years?

I'd imagine it's come down dramatically over the years but has stabilised around age 23-24
Mr Fuller
Reserves

Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 123 times

Postby Sticks28 » Tue Oct 12, 2021 2:21 pm

Grigg would definitely be on 1k a game in the hills - you'd be dreaming to think he's on less then that - I know there is a salary cap rule but 95% of clubs know how to get around that.
Sticks28
Under 16s

Has liked: 25 times
Been liked: 19 times

Postby Sticks28 » Tue Oct 12, 2021 2:22 pm

Alex barns to morphy park aswell
Sticks28
Under 16s

Has liked: 25 times
Been liked: 19 times

Postby FlyingHigh » Tue Oct 12, 2021 4:05 pm

Definitely the commitment is part of the puzzle. Said before I'd like to see training not start until the start of December to give players two month break to travel, finish uni for the year etc etc.

The AFL shouldn't get out of this either.
Firstly, the SANFL still provides a fallback for those who may have lost their way, ie Stengle.
Secondly, if they truly wanted Aussie Rules to be the number one sport they'd be assisting in getting average SANFL and WAFL crowds to around 5000 and make that second tier like whuffer said. But the AFL don't want Aussie Rules to dominate the sporting landscape, the AFL want the AFL to dominate it.

Also think changes to the labour market have an influence. Kids who maybe became bank tellers or clerks now go to uni because that is pushed and there are fewer jobs in banks, especially at entry level. Previously they were earning a full time wage and had paths within the bank or wherever available to them by their mid-20's. Now they're at Uni not earning much and starting their careers 3-5 years later. Similarly, for the blue-collar, there are not the manufacturing jobs there once was.
Last edited by FlyingHigh on Tue Oct 12, 2021 4:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
FlyingHigh
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 81 times
Been liked: 173 times

Postby gazzamagoo » Tue Oct 12, 2021 4:07 pm

Joey Brown at Central told thanks & good luck.
gazzamagoo
League - Top 5

Has liked: 1656 times
Been liked: 643 times
Grassroots Team: Salisbury

Postby Aerie » Tue Oct 12, 2021 4:24 pm

Can and will the SANFL salary cap be increased after being severely cut for this season? Note the AFL players salaries were not effected any where near as much.
Aerie
Coach

Has liked: 147 times
Been liked: 503 times

Postby gazzamagoo » Tue Oct 12, 2021 4:43 pm

Aerie wrote:Can and will the SANFL salary cap be increased after being severely cut for this season? Note the AFL players salaries were not effected any where near as much.

No
gazzamagoo
League - Top 5

Has liked: 1656 times
Been liked: 643 times
Grassroots Team: Salisbury

Postby southee » Tue Oct 12, 2021 5:31 pm

Agree 100%
Is out of change.....thanks Cambridge Clarrie!!!
southee
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 858 times
Been liked: 122 times

Postby gadj1976 » Tue Oct 12, 2021 7:45 pm

whufc wrote:

Agree.

I tend to agree.

I don't think the SANFL is in any position to increase salary caps, given they would be on the verge of going broke if they were to do so.

I think decreasing the time the players need to spend at the club and at trainings could be the key. When you consider how much time they spend at training and the money they get and could get elsewhere, it doesn't make sense to hang around at SANFL level. Even less as a reserves player.

Starting pre season later, having training and contact hours 'less' per week (don't know the full numbers), I don't know the exact answer but the days of the SANFL being a format for returned players, are numbered.
gadj1976
Coach

Has liked: 795 times
Been liked: 849 times

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  SANFL