2020-21 NBL Season + Off-season news

Re: 2020-21 NBL Season + Off-season news

Postby Gozu » Thu Sep 23, 2021 10:36 pm

The NZ Breakers have announced the signing of their second import Hugo Besson to a one-year deal. The 20 year old is a 6'3" guard considered a possible first-round pick in next year's NBA Draft and has been playing in his native France.

https://nbl.com.au/news/breakers-add-fr ... ugo-besson
"The factory of the future will have only two employees, a man and a dog. The man will be there to feed the dog. The dog will be there to keep the man from touching the equipment" – Warren Bennis
Gozu
Coach

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 659 times

Postby Gozu » Mon Sep 27, 2021 10:29 pm

Some bad news for Illawarra Hawks swingman Daniel Grida he's done his ACL in pre-season training and has been ruled out for the 21-22 season. It's the same knee he did 18 months ago that caused him to miss the first half of last season.

https://nbl.com.au/news/hawks-daniel-gr ... nee-injury
"The factory of the future will have only two employees, a man and a dog. The man will be there to feed the dog. The dog will be there to keep the man from touching the equipment" – Warren Bennis
Gozu
Coach

Postby Gozu » Sun Oct 03, 2021 10:24 pm

And now the NZ Breakers have signed their third import Jeremiah Martin to a one-year deal. The 6'2" guard played in the NBA the past couple of seasons with the Brooklyn Nets and then Cleveland Cavaliers last season.

https://nbl.com.au/news/breakers-sign-f ... iah-martin
Gozu
Coach

Postby Gozu » Tue Oct 12, 2021 8:58 pm

The NBL have announced the start of the season has been pushed back to December 3 when the 36ers play Tasmania in the JackJumpers inaugural game and have released the 2021-22 season schedule which will see every game live on ESPN and Kayo and two Sunday afternoon games each week also live on 10 Peach.

https://nbl.com.au/news/nbl-season-sche ... fans-first
Gozu
Coach

Postby Brodlach » Wed Oct 13, 2021 8:20 am

Is it just me or do we always seem to get the new franchises first up?
July 11th 2012....
Brodlach wrote:Rory Laird might end up the best IMO, he is an absolute jet. He has been in great form at the Bloods
Brodlach
Coach

Has liked: 72 times
Been liked: 4189 times
Grassroots Team: Colonel Light Gardens

Postby Gozu » Wed Oct 13, 2021 2:29 pm

Brodlach wrote:Is it just me or do we always seem to get the new franchises first up?

Did we play SEM Phoenix in their first game? I vividly remember us losing to the Breakers in their first game in 2003.
Gozu
Coach

Postby DOC » Wed Oct 13, 2021 2:42 pm

No they played Melb. United
DOC
Coach

Has liked: 720 times
Been liked: 2071 times

Postby Gozu » Thu Oct 14, 2021 7:39 pm

The NBL have announced the Blitz pre-season tournament will be returning next month with the JackJumpers, Bullets, Breakers, 36ers, Wildcats and Taipans to play games in Tasmania starting November 14 and United, Phoenix, Kings and Hawks to play games in NSW and Victoria beginning November 13 over the same two-week period.

https://nbl.com.au/news/nbl-to-blitz-ta ... outh-wales

Teams will play at least four games each and every game will be live streamed with the Blitz schedule to be announced soon.
Gozu
Coach

Postby mighty hounds » Fri Oct 15, 2021 8:11 am

Gozu wrote:
Brodlach wrote:Is it just me or do we always seem to get the new franchises first up?

Did we play SEM Phoenix in their first game? I vividly remember us losing to the Breakers in their first game in 2003.

We were the first club to play against the Singapore Slingers as well I reckon?
mighty hounds
Coach

Has liked: 89 times
Been liked: 285 times

Postby Gozu » Fri Oct 15, 2021 3:04 pm

mighty hounds wrote:
Gozu wrote:

Correct you are! That one had certainly escaped my memory.

We lost to the Slingers 98-91 in their first NBL game which was at Singapore Indoor Stadium in 2006-07.

They play in the ASEAN league now.
Gozu
Coach

Postby king neptune » Fri Oct 15, 2021 4:42 pm

Gozu wrote:
mighty hounds wrote:
Gozu wrote:

Correct you are! That one had certainly escaped my memory.

We lost to the Slingers 98-91 in their first NBL game which was at Singapore Indoor Stadium in 2006-07.

They play in the ASEAN league now.

Not sure if we were the first team to play Townsville Suns but think we may have been the first team to lose to them.
NO AMOUNT OF PSYCHOLOGICAL MANIPULATION, HORMONAL OR SURGICAL MUTILATION WILL EVER CHANGE A PERSON'S GENDER
king neptune
Rookie

Been liked: 26 times
Grassroots Team: Kilburn

Postby Gozu » Fri Oct 15, 2021 7:19 pm

king neptune wrote:[Not sure if we were the first team to play Townsville Suns but think we may have been the first team to lose to them.

I do remember going to my first 36ers game in 1993 to see the Townsville Suns and knew we lost but had to look this up and nah their first game was a 110-106 loss to Newcastle and then their first win came in Round 5 against Newcastle 98-89.

I reckon my first game was in Round 11 we lost to them 105-103 in Adelaide on my birthday, so that was probably the reason my dad took me and my brother to the game. I just always remembered being so disappointed we lost.
Gozu
Coach

Postby Gozu » Fri Oct 15, 2021 9:34 pm

The Perth Wildcats have announced the signing of their third import Michael Frazier to a one-year deal. The 6'4" SG has previously played in the NBA with the Houston Rockets and played last season in the G-League.

https://nbl.com.au/news/wildcats-add-mi ... ird-import

The Wildcats also announced they've completed their roster with the signing of ex-36ers and Bullets centre Matt Hodgson to a one-year deal.

https://nbl.com.au/news/perth-complete- ... tt-hodgson

In other news ex-United and Breakers import Scotty Hopson has signed with the Oklahoma City Thunder and ex-Bullets import BJ Johnson has signed with the Orlando Magic too.
Gozu
Coach

Postby Gozu » Mon Oct 18, 2021 10:15 pm

The Illawarra Hawks have announced the signing of their third import Xavier Rathan-Mayes to a one-year deal. The 6'4" guard is from Canada, has previously had a brief stint in the NBA with the Memphis Grizzlies and played last season in Romania.

https://nbl.com.au/news/hawks-complete- ... than-mayes

Also not quite NBL news but SEM Phoenix part-owner Dante Exum has been waived by the Houston Rockets.
Gozu
Coach

Postby Gozu » Wed Oct 27, 2021 2:25 pm

The 36ers have announced the signing of Zac Gattorna as a development player for this season. He's a 6'7" forward from WA and played for the Perth Redbacks in the NBL1 West during the off-season.

https://www.adelaide36ers.com/news/adel ... ayer-ranks

Also Australian basketball legend David Andersen has announced his retirement. His pro-career lasted 23 years beginning back in 1998 with the then Wollongong Hawks and he won an incredible 12 championships during his career including three EuroLeague championships and two in the NBL with Melbourne United. He also played a couple of years in the NBA and was a four-time Olympian with the Boomers.

https://nbl.com.au/news/andersen-calls-final-time-out

Andersen will move into an off-court role working for the NBL in a player liaison and special projects role.
Gozu
Coach

Postby DOC » Wed Oct 27, 2021 2:52 pm

Very impressive record Anderson has. Anyone who is a 4 time Olympian has had a great career.
DOC
Coach

Has liked: 720 times
Been liked: 2071 times

Postby Gozu » Wed Oct 27, 2021 3:11 pm

DOC wrote:Very impressive record Anderson has. Anyone who is a 4 time Olympian has had a great career.

Even more impressive IMO is that he won more championship rings than fingers!

Supposedly he's always been a pretty astute fellow and when he was making millions in Europe in the prime of his career he pumped a lot of it into real estate all over the world and people joke that he owns half of Frankston in Melbourne where he's from.

I always had a lot of respect and appreciation for how committed he always was to the Boomers other name players would pull out of tournaments with injuries real or imagined but Andersen was there with the Boomers virtually every off-season.
Gozu
Coach

Postby Gozu » Fri Oct 29, 2021 4:43 pm

The NZ Breakers have completed their roster by elevating development player Isaac Davidson to the full roster and re-signing him to a one-year deal with an option for the following season. The 6'7" Kiwi played in 11 games last season.

https://nbl.com.au/news/breakers-reward ... oster-spot

The Breakers fly out to Australia on Monday and will temporarily relocate to Melbourne ahead of the start of pre-season games.
Gozu
Coach

Postby Gozu » Thu Nov 04, 2021 8:40 pm

Yesterday the 36ers announced they've signed Kiwi Hyrum Harris to a one-year deal. The 6'6" forward played for the Illawarra Hawks in the 2019-20 season and last season spent some time with the Cairns Taipans as an injury replacement player and played in the NZ league during the off-season.

https://nbl.com.au/news/hyrum-harris-si ... aide-36ers
Gozu
Coach

Postby Brodlach » Thu Nov 04, 2021 8:58 pm

Cam Bairstow is going to sign with the 36ers
July 11th 2012....
Brodlach wrote:Rory Laird might end up the best IMO, he is an absolute jet. He has been in great form at the Bloods
Brodlach
Coach

Has liked: 72 times
Been liked: 4189 times
Grassroots Team: Colonel Light Gardens

PreviousNext

Board index   Other Sports  Other Sports  Basketball