T20 World Cup 2021

First Class Cricket Talk (International and State)

Re: T20 World Cup 2021

Postby amber_fluid » Wed Oct 27, 2021 7:28 pm

Rik E Boy wrote:
amber_fluid wrote:
mighty_tiger_79 wrote:So why does Cricket South Africa direct players to do this, but other South African national teams don't??


Why should any team direct their players to do it?

What happen to freedom of speech and personal choice?


You can elect do say what you want but there are consequences. You have the right to not take the knee but you aren't immune from the criticism that act will draw.

regards,

REB



That’s fine but excluding him from his employment is then denying his personal choices.
There are no stupid questions, just stupid people.
User avatar
amber_fluid
Coach
 
 
Posts: 11149
Joined: Wed May 21, 2008 10:18 am
Has liked: 1932 times
Been liked: 2124 times

Re: T20 World Cup 2021

Postby Dutchy » Wed Oct 27, 2021 7:55 pm

RB wrote:
Dutchy wrote:however he was clearly prevented from exercising his personal choice.


Was he? Seems to me that he did exercise his personal choice (that is, to sit out rather than take the knee).


Is taking a knee now an official part of being a cricketer and the World Cup process? Like the national anthems?

Australian & NZ chose to not to take a knee in their recent ODI series, where is the outrage for that?
User avatar
Dutchy
Site Admin
 
 
Posts: 42552
Joined: Sat Nov 05, 2005 8:24 am
Location: Location, Location
Has liked: 1875 times
Been liked: 2856 times

Re: T20 World Cup 2021

Postby mighty_tiger_79 » Wed Oct 27, 2021 7:57 pm

Dutchy wrote:
RB wrote:
Dutchy wrote:however he was clearly prevented from exercising his personal choice.


Was he? Seems to me that he did exercise his personal choice (that is, to sit out rather than take the knee).


Is taking a knee now an official part of being a cricketer and the World Cup process? Like the national anthems?

Australian & NZ chose to not to take a knee in their recent ODI series, where is the outrage for that?
Pakistan didn't take a knee

Sent from my SM-G781B using Tapatalk
Matty Wade is a star and deserves more respect from the forum family!
User avatar
mighty_tiger_79
Coach
 
Posts: 52227
Joined: Tue Jan 03, 2006 7:29 pm
Location: at the TAB
Has liked: 10405 times
Been liked: 2939 times

Re: T20 World Cup 2021

Postby The Dark Knight » Wed Oct 27, 2021 8:13 pm

amber_fluid wrote:
Rik E Boy wrote:
amber_fluid wrote:
mighty_tiger_79 wrote:So why does Cricket South Africa direct players to do this, but other South African national teams don't??


Why should any team direct their players to do it?

What happen to freedom of speech and personal choice?


You can elect do say what you want but there are consequences. You have the right to not take the knee but you aren't immune from the criticism that act will draw.

regards,

REB

That’s fine but excluding him from his employment is then denying his personal choices.

What?

He excluded himself from his employment by pulling out of yesterday match due to 'personal reasons' which was his personal choice.
User avatar
The Dark Knight
Coach
 
Posts: 31404
Joined: Sat Mar 06, 2010 12:32 pm
Location: Gotham City
Has liked: 8002 times
Been liked: 1214 times
Grassroots Team: North Haven

Re: T20 World Cup 2021

Postby amber_fluid » Wed Oct 27, 2021 8:19 pm

Coz he wasn’t prepared to take a knee.
He was obviously told he had to do it which is wrong.

He should be able to choose don’t you think?
There are no stupid questions, just stupid people.
User avatar
amber_fluid
Coach
 
 
Posts: 11149
Joined: Wed May 21, 2008 10:18 am
Has liked: 1932 times
Been liked: 2124 times

Re: T20 World Cup 2021

Postby amber_fluid » Wed Oct 27, 2021 8:26 pm

Dutchy wrote:
RB wrote:
Dutchy wrote:however he was clearly prevented from exercising his personal choice.


Was he? Seems to me that he did exercise his personal choice (that is, to sit out rather than take the knee).


Is taking a knee now an official part of being a cricketer and the World Cup process? Like the national anthems?

Australian & NZ chose to not to take a knee in their recent ODI series, where is the outrage for that?


Keep sport and politics separate
There are no stupid questions, just stupid people.
User avatar
amber_fluid
Coach
 
 
Posts: 11149
Joined: Wed May 21, 2008 10:18 am
Has liked: 1932 times
Been liked: 2124 times

Re: T20 World Cup 2021

Postby RB » Wed Oct 27, 2021 9:02 pm

Dutchy wrote:
RB wrote:
Dutchy wrote:however he was clearly prevented from exercising his personal choice.


Was he? Seems to me that he did exercise his personal choice (that is, to sit out rather than take the knee).


Is taking a knee now an official part of being a cricketer and the World Cup process? Like the national anthems?


In the South African team, it apparently is. To be clear, I wouldn't necessarily be supportive of the Australian team introducing such a mandate. And perhaps if I were South African, I wouldn't favour the South Africans all having to do it.

The way I see it, de Kock was given a choice - take the knee if you want to play, or if you don't want to play, please yourself. He decided for personal reasons not to play. That's his choice. Presumably, he exercised his personal choice by not kneeing during the anthem (wherever he was).

I could say that it's my choice to open the batting against the Poms this summer. By not picking me, does that mean that ACB are preventing me from exercising my choice?

Dutchy wrote:Australian & NZ chose to not to take a knee in their recent ODI series, where is the outrage for that?


No outrage here. As I said, I don't have strong views either way on the knee gesture. Perhaps your argument is actually that you don't think mandating it is a good idea - in which case I'd understand your point of view. But I'm not convinced that having to abide by certain team policies to get picked denies you freedom of choice.
R.I.P. the SANFL 1877 - 2013
User avatar
RB
Assistant Coach
 
Posts: 4807
Joined: Fri Aug 26, 2011 3:45 pm
Has liked: 582 times
Been liked: 830 times

Re: T20 World Cup 2021

Postby The Dark Knight » Wed Oct 27, 2021 9:15 pm

amber_fluid wrote:Coz he wasn’t prepared to take a knee.
He was obviously told he had to do it which is wrong.

He should be able to choose don’t you think?

Where has it been mentioned that he was told he had to do it?

I agree he should be able to choose but I thought being a senior, long term South African player he would be someone who supported his team mates of colour on a matter that has infamously been part of South African sport for a very long time.

Will be interesting to see if we hear from de Kock about the situation.
Last edited by The Dark Knight on Wed Oct 27, 2021 9:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
The Dark Knight
Coach
 
Posts: 31404
Joined: Sat Mar 06, 2010 12:32 pm
Location: Gotham City
Has liked: 8002 times
Been liked: 1214 times
Grassroots Team: North Haven

Re: T20 World Cup 2021

Postby Dutchy » Wed Oct 27, 2021 9:38 pm

RB wrote:
In the South African team, it apparently is. To be clear, I wouldn't necessarily be supportive of the Australian team introducing such a mandate. And perhaps if I were South African, I wouldn't favour the South Africans all having to do it.

The way I see it, de Kock was given a choice - take the knee if you want to play, or if you don't want to play, please yourself. He decided for personal reasons not to play. That's his choice. Presumably, he exercised his personal choice by not kneeing during the anthem (wherever he was).

I could say that it's my choice to open the batting against the Poms this summer. By not picking me, does that mean that ACB are preventing me from exercising my choice?

Dutchy wrote:Australian & NZ chose to not to take a knee in their recent ODI series, where is the outrage for that?


No outrage here. As I said, I don't have strong views either way on the knee gesture. Perhaps your argument is actually that you don't think mandating it is a good idea - in which case I'd understand your point of view. But I'm not convinced that having to abide by certain team policies to get picked denies you freedom of choice.


Wearing the right uniform, respecting the rules of cricket, abiding by COVID bubble - all these things are required to play in the world cup, is taking a knee part of this? No. It is something that is unofficial and should be a personal choice.

User avatar
Dutchy
Site Admin
 
 
Posts: 42552
Joined: Sat Nov 05, 2005 8:24 am
Location: Location, Location
Has liked: 1875 times
Been liked: 2856 times

Re: T20 World Cup 2021

Postby locky801 » Thu Oct 28, 2021 12:40 am

Fait to say after 4 balls Scotland in a tad bit of trouble at 3/2 and thats the Australian way of saying it
my team stagnant and on the road to nowhere
User avatar
locky801
Coach
 
Posts: 49842
Joined: Tue Aug 15, 2006 5:11 pm
Location: working all around Australia and loving it
Has liked: 2478 times
Been liked: 796 times

Re: T20 World Cup 2021

Postby The Dark Knight » Thu Oct 28, 2021 7:20 pm

Quinton de Kock has spoken and apologised-
https://www.espncricinfo.com/story/sout ... ee-1285649
User avatar
The Dark Knight
Coach
 
Posts: 31404
Joined: Sat Mar 06, 2010 12:32 pm
Location: Gotham City
Has liked: 8002 times
Been liked: 1214 times
Grassroots Team: North Haven

Re: T20 World Cup 2021

Postby The Dark Knight » Thu Oct 28, 2021 10:27 pm

Australia play Sri Lanka tonight at 12.30am.

Earlier I was watching some of the highlights of England v Bangladesh and I saw English left arm quick Tymal Mills run out Bangladeshi batsman Afif Hossain. Hossain and Mahmudullah got in a terrible mix up and Mills threw the ball RIGHT handed to Buttler who took the bails off.

Turns out like Jack Leach Mills bowls left handed and throws with his right arm. It always weirds me out when I see this kind of thing happen and I had to rewind the video to make sure it was Mills who was throwing the ball.
User avatar
The Dark Knight
Coach
 
Posts: 31404
Joined: Sat Mar 06, 2010 12:32 pm
Location: Gotham City
Has liked: 8002 times
Been liked: 1214 times
Grassroots Team: North Haven

Re: T20 World Cup 2021

Postby Armchair expert » Fri Oct 29, 2021 12:51 am

Be chasing a big Total after this Start
User avatar
Armchair expert
Coach
 
 
Posts: 6444
Joined: Tue May 15, 2018 9:18 am
Has liked: 303 times
Been liked: 793 times
Grassroots Team: Ports

Re: T20 World Cup 2021

Postby The Dark Knight » Fri Oct 29, 2021 6:23 am

Australia beat Sri Lanka by 7 wickets
Sri Lanka 6/154
Zampa 2/12
Starc 2/27
Cummins 2/34

Australia 3/155
Warner 65 (42)- That's for all his SA Footy fans haha.
Finch 37 (23)- Now has 2500 runs in 78 T20I's, the fifth most behind Kohli, Guptill, Sharma and Stirling. Finch the highest strike rate of the top five.
Smith 28* (26)
User avatar
The Dark Knight
Coach
 
Posts: 31404
Joined: Sat Mar 06, 2010 12:32 pm
Location: Gotham City
Has liked: 8002 times
Been liked: 1214 times
Grassroots Team: North Haven

Re: T20 World Cup 2021

Postby whufc » Fri Oct 29, 2021 10:41 am

We will win this thing.
RIP PH408 63notoutforever
User avatar
whufc
Coach
 
 
Posts: 24709
Joined: Tue Aug 01, 2006 10:56 am
Location: Blakeview
Has liked: 4619 times
Been liked: 2032 times
Grassroots Team: BSR

Re: T20 World Cup 2021

Postby Lightning McQueen » Fri Oct 29, 2021 10:42 am

whufc wrote:We will win this thing.

We? WI or AUS?
HOGG SHIELD DIVISION V WINNER 2018.
User avatar
Lightning McQueen
Coach
 
Posts: 47773
Joined: Mon Mar 03, 2008 9:43 am
Location: Radiator Springs
Has liked: 3903 times
Been liked: 6873 times

Re: T20 World Cup 2021

Postby Lightning McQueen » Fri Oct 29, 2021 10:51 am

How the hell is the MOTM worked out, there have been some baffling ones, Zampa's 2/12(4) trumps Warner's 65(42) for instance.

Nortje's 1/14(4) trumped Markham's 61*(26)

Moen Ali took the honours against the Windies with 2/17(4) While Rashid collected 4/2(2.2)
HOGG SHIELD DIVISION V WINNER 2018.
User avatar
Lightning McQueen
Coach
 
Posts: 47773
Joined: Mon Mar 03, 2008 9:43 am
Location: Radiator Springs
Has liked: 3903 times
Been liked: 6873 times

Re: T20 World Cup 2021

Postby whufc » Fri Oct 29, 2021 10:55 am

Lightning McQueen wrote:
whufc wrote:We will win this thing.

We? WI or AUS?


Yeah I have two We's :)

In this case Aus......world cup specialists, finally putting our best side on the park.
RIP PH408 63notoutforever
User avatar
whufc
Coach
 
 
Posts: 24709
Joined: Tue Aug 01, 2006 10:56 am
Location: Blakeview
Has liked: 4619 times
Been liked: 2032 times
Grassroots Team: BSR

Re: T20 World Cup 2021

Postby Armchair expert » Fri Oct 29, 2021 11:02 am

Lightning McQueen wrote:How the hell is the MOTM worked out, there have been some baffling ones, Zampa's 2/12(4) trumps Warner's 65(42) for instance.


They got that one right, Lankans were 40 off 4 overs, Zampa came and got out the danger man Asalanka..going at 3 an over in t20 is insane.
User avatar
Armchair expert
Coach
 
 
Posts: 6444
Joined: Tue May 15, 2018 9:18 am
Has liked: 303 times
Been liked: 793 times
Grassroots Team: Ports

Re: T20 World Cup 2021

Postby Lightning McQueen » Fri Oct 29, 2021 11:25 am

Armchair expert wrote:
Lightning McQueen wrote:How the hell is the MOTM worked out, there have been some baffling ones, Zampa's 2/12(4) trumps Warner's 65(42) for instance.


They got that one right, Lankans were 40 off 4 overs, Zampa came and got out the danger man Asalanka..going at 3 an over in t20 is insane.

Yeah, I thought it was a 50/50 (or a T20 in this case), not watching the game I wasn't going to be the most accurate judge.
HOGG SHIELD DIVISION V WINNER 2018.
User avatar
Lightning McQueen
Coach
 
Posts: 47773
Joined: Mon Mar 03, 2008 9:43 am
Location: Radiator Springs
Has liked: 3903 times
Been liked: 6873 times

PreviousNext

Board index   Other Sports  Cricket

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest