Woodville South
5%

Total votes : 41

Re: 2022 Adelaide Footy League - Division 4

Postby The Insider » Mon Nov 08, 2021 9:42 pm

JesseWhite wrote:
redyellow&blue wrote:
The Bedge wrote:
redyellow&blue wrote:Would not be surprised if a number of clubs are investigated from D1 through to D6, inc SANFL with some of the signings and $$ being bandied around atm.

the SACFL would be fielding quite a few calls right about now..

Plenty of ways around money issues ie jobs or coaching roles

True, but the league squashed the whole co-coaches/big coin thing the other year so trying that won't work, and i doubt you could sell the "oh he works the bar for 2 hours every Thursday for $150 an hour" contract either...

and i doubt they are finding 4/5/6 jobs for the 4/5/6 players coming into a team.

Love/family/ i know the bloke he's my mate might get you a discount on a brand player... but still gonna cost regardless.

Old Scholars clubs can easily find small jobs outside of the direct club association to make it worthwhile to players, it won't surprise me if we end up with 7 or 8 Old Scholars in Div 1 at some point in the next decade.

Agree with the above and particularly the last part. Have known players this off season personally who have left community clubs for Old Collegian teams due to being offered jobs, that had fairly decent terms attached.. Not that the league can necessarily regulate that tightly. Obviously the old scholar connection and playing with school friends is a big incentive in itself and community clubs might do similar at times too. But it’s becoming more commonplace imo.
But yes, wouldn’t be surprised if SHOC replace a Brighton, Glenunga or Pnu in Div 1 next season and teams like Westminster, Pembroke and the like continue to push up the grades.
The Insider
Mini-League

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 0 time

Postby beef » Tue Nov 09, 2021 6:53 am

That was always Kernanhan's goal when he started. Div 1 full of old scholar teams. Points & salary cap is purely for their benefit
beef
League - Best 21

Has liked: 7 times
Been liked: 255 times

Postby LaughingKookaburra » Tue Nov 09, 2021 7:31 am

Saying that it was his goal is a ridiculous statement. The overall standard of comps from D1-5 has improved substantially especially in the last 4-5 years. Clubs with a continuous flow of quality juniors whether it be through a junior program or through schools are the ones filling the very large majority of the top 3 comps. That’s the real factor imo.
Can you bring a man to his feet when defeat is on repeat?
LaughingKookaburra
Coach

Has liked: 72 times
Been liked: 740 times
Grassroots Team: Kenilworth

Postby Executive Member » Tue Nov 09, 2021 7:52 am

beef wrote:That was always Kernanhan's goal when he started. Div 1 full of old scholar teams. Points & salary cap is purely for their benefit

=))
Executive Member
Veteran

Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 140 times

Postby The Bedge » Tue Nov 09, 2021 7:55 am

Executive Member wrote:
beef wrote:That was always Kernanhan's goal when he started. Div 1 full of old scholar teams. Points & salary cap is purely for their benefit

=))

Sad part is there are spastics out there that would actually believe this… particularly in the lower grades - another excuse for their poor grading, it’s never the clubs fault.
Dolphin Treasure wrote:Your an attention seeking embarsement..
The Bedge
Coach

Has liked: 3192 times
Been liked: 3996 times

Postby jo172 » Tue Nov 09, 2021 8:42 am

Except that was the Community Football League.

It is an interesting result that measures brought in by the CFL to save country leagues from themselves are having this by-product though.
jo172
League - Top 5

Has liked: 1198 times
Been liked: 724 times

Postby Sass! » Tue Nov 09, 2021 8:52 am

jo172 wrote:

It is an interesting result that measures brought in by the CFL to save country leagues from themselves are having this by-product though.

Yeah, its a fair point. i was chatting to the footy director of Kersbrook over the weekend and he was saying that he cant remember it ever being this difficult to recruit players to country footy and that is being felt by alot of clubs in their league. Those that are holding to the cap are often losing players to metro clubs who can offer similar coin and far less travel.
Sass!
Under 16s

Has liked: 9 times
Been liked: 47 times
Grassroots Team: Modbury

Postby jo172 » Tue Nov 09, 2021 9:31 am

Sass! wrote:
jo172 wrote:

Yeah, its a fair point. i was chatting to the footy director of Kersbrook over the weekend and he was saying that he cant remember it ever being this difficult to recruit players to country footy and that is being felt by alot of clubs in their league. Those that are holding to the cap are often losing players to metro clubs who can offer similar coin and far less travel.

Given how long we're into APPS/TPPS it's probably worthwhile the SANFL and CFL taking time to zoom out a bit and examine whether they are working as intended.

Feels as if a great degree of effort has gone into tinkering with the edges to try and achieve the perceived purpose of each, but a deeper philosophical review of, what are we trying to achieve, and is this the way to achieve it might be due.
jo172
League - Top 5

Postby gadj1976 » Tue Nov 09, 2021 10:27 am

jo172 wrote:
Sass! wrote:
jo172 wrote:

Given how long we're into APPS/TPPS it's probably worthwhile the SANFL and CFL taking time to zoom out a bit and examine whether they are working as intended.

Feels as if a great degree of effort has gone into tinkering with the edges to try and achieve the perceived purpose of each, but a deeper philosophical review of, what are we trying to achieve, and is this the way to achieve it might be due.

What's this? Someone asking for a holistic view of how things are run in the state? Poppyc*ck!

Na, I'm with ya Jo. In all seriousness, these decisions are made in isolation without any thought of the after, or flow on effects. The SANFL league can't survive being a second tier comp to the AFL with the current rules in play. We've seen many teams lose players to Ammo's and country because of the reasons stated here and elsewhere. Till someone lifts their glasses and views beyond the horizon, the SANFL will be stuffed.

I see the SANFL as a fork in the road for players of the calibre who would normally be good enough to play SANFL but not AFL standard. Should I stick around with my SANFL club and ply my trade, getting mediocre money, having to work full time (and possibly jepoardising my living by playing footy) and train several times a week or should I go and play a lower level, train twice to three times a week and have a successful career? Most are sticking with the SANFL, but for how long?

Those that see the SANFL as a stepping stone for AFL will definitely stay but all it will take is some players to be taken from Hope Valley (for instance) straight to the AFL and players will realise you don't need to play for the SANFL clubs to get drafted. That could start the exodus. I hope I'm wrong.
gadj1976
Coach

Has liked: 796 times
Been liked: 850 times

Postby jo172 » Tue Nov 09, 2021 11:54 am

Equally the current state of community footy in terms of the divergence of responsibility between the SANFL, CFL and each affiliated league, the make up of the respective leagues, the operation of junior footy (particularly with respect to SANFL Juniors) appears to have happened, over the last decade at least, with a series of well meaning intentional decisions that each make perfect sense in isolation, but without the whole structure being considered.

This has happened at the same time as the women's footy explosion which has exacerbated a number of structural issues in the sport and at a community level.

Just strikes me that it might be worthwhile doing a pretty high level re-think as to football in this state below the AFL as a whole as where we are now seems largely a product of a series of smaller decisions caused by immediate circumstances rather than a broad strategy.
jo172
League - Top 5

Postby harambe1 » Tue Nov 09, 2021 3:08 pm

massive signing for mitcham with josh watt from brighton making his away across
harambe1
Mini-League

Been liked: 2 times

Postby gadj1976 » Tue Nov 09, 2021 3:37 pm

jo172 wrote:Equally the current state of community footy in terms of the divergence of responsibility between the SANFL, CFL and each affiliated league, the make up of the respective leagues, the operation of junior footy (particularly with respect to SANFL Juniors) appears to have happened, over the last decade at least, with a series of well meaning intentional decisions that each make perfect sense in isolation, but without the whole structure being considered.

This has happened at the same time as the women's footy explosion which has exacerbated a number of structural issues in the sport and at a community level.

Just strikes me that it might be worthwhile doing a pretty high level re-think as to football in this state below the AFL as a whole as where we are now seems largely a product of a series of smaller decisions caused by immediate circumstances rather than a broad strategy.

I think you and I, and most agree. Problem is, for anything to be fixed, it needs to be recognised first. Is there anyway to communicate these issues to this group? Will they listen, or are they happy to just keep on looking at the 'now'?
gadj1976
Coach

Has liked: 796 times
Been liked: 850 times

Postby Sticks28 » Tue Nov 09, 2021 6:25 pm

harambe1 wrote:massive signing for mitcham with josh watt from brighton making his away across

Haven’t heard his name before? Handy player is he? Would like to know who Justin calderbank can get at the hawks seeing as though his reputation isn’t the greatest from what I have heard.
Sticks28
Under 16s

Has liked: 25 times
Been liked: 19 times

Postby Yank Man » Tue Nov 09, 2021 8:51 pm

Sticks28 wrote:
harambe1 wrote:massive signing for mitcham with josh watt from brighton making his away across

Haven’t heard his name before? Handy player is he? Would like to know who Justin calderbank can get at the hawks seeing as though his reputation isn’t the greatest from what I have heard.

You might be very surprised Sticks28 as to what Calderbank can recruit to Mitcham and in fact even more surprised as to the quality person and coach he is. Maybe you are listening to the wrong people. Phone someone from Brighton, they could tell you.
Yank Man
League - Top 5

Has liked: 57 times
Been liked: 317 times
Grassroots Team: Edwardstown

Postby jake the snake » Wed Nov 10, 2021 10:07 am

Ask anyone at Edwardstown about him…

Okay in the first year but after that…
jake the snake
Under 16s

Been liked: 12 times

Postby Sticks28 » Wed Nov 10, 2021 11:15 am

jake the snake wrote:Ask anyone at Edwardstown about him…

Okay in the first year but after that…

Yeah that's what i've heard - not a lot of positive things said about him. Heard he's got a big FIGJAM personality and it's backfired at alot of clubs
Sticks28
Under 16s

Postby hollywood7477 » Wed Nov 10, 2021 12:14 pm

16 games got in the best 6 times and kicked 7 goals in the magoos!!! Not sure that is a massive signing
hollywood7477
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 56 times
Been liked: 72 times

Postby Brodlach » Wed Nov 10, 2021 12:15 pm

hollywood7477 wrote:

16 games got in the best 6 times and kicked 7 goals in the magoos!!! Not sure that is a massive signing

What position does he play?
July 11th 2012....
Brodlach wrote:Rory Laird might end up the best IMO, he is an absolute jet. He has been in great form at the Bloods
Brodlach
Coach

Has liked: 72 times
Been liked: 4216 times
Grassroots Team: Colonel Light Gardens

Postby Yank Man » Sat Nov 13, 2021 5:47 pm

Brodlach wrote:
hollywood7477 wrote:

What position does he play?

I think harambe1 might be taking the pi55 and probably one of his mates. That said Watt will be a good fit at Hawkland as he wants to play with some mates. He is a tall who plays ruck, CHB and rests forward at times and can kick goals, plus he’s a dedicated and disciplined player.
Yank Man
League - Top 5

Has liked: 57 times
Been liked: 317 times
Grassroots Team: Edwardstown

Postby Sticks28 » Mon Nov 15, 2021 7:01 pm

When’s most clubs starting pre season? Heard a fair few clubs starting next week and week after - what’s everyone’s opinions on when pre season should start?
Sticks28
Under 16s

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  Other Footy Leagues  Adelaide Footy League