Australian Domestic Season 2021/22

First Class Cricket Talk (International and State)

Re: Australian Domestic Season 2021/22

Postby whufc » Fri Nov 26, 2021 1:06 pm

RB wrote:
whufc wrote:I guess what im trying to say is yes his batting well but I don't think his fixed any of the deficiencies that failed him at test level.


Did he fail that badly though? I agree he had a bad habit of throwing his wicket away, but an average of 39.75 isn't terrible.

At the end of the day you pick the best team available. You can't exclude a bloke on the basis of his deficiencies if you don't have anyone better.


Yeah 40 for me is the pass mark so he didn’t fail over a long period. When he was dropped though I’m sure he wasn’t averaging 40, was well under.

I do think if he wants a long term test career he does have to improve on what he has produced so far. Like I said there are to many periods in a career where you get out to the unplayables/decent balls that you can’t get afford to get yourself out to often at test level. I don’t think it’s any surprise he has got out a lot between 20-40 a test level. Even when Head is settled in as a bowler you would feel you are still a big chance to get him any given delivery.

He will play the first test but do we think his on last chance saloon. How many times has been dropped and back in now…..3 gets dropped a fourth time at 27 years old and selected will most likely pigeon hole him
RIP PH408 63notoutforever
User avatar
whufc
Coach
 
 
Posts: 23742
Joined: Tue Aug 01, 2006 10:56 am
Location: Blakeview
Has liked: 4305 times
Been liked: 1909 times
Grassroots Team: BSR

Re: Australian Domestic Season 2021/22

Postby amber_fluid » Fri Nov 26, 2021 1:08 pm

20 years ago an average of 39 would have got you dropped from the state side.
Lehmann, Love, Siddons, Law etc would be laughing at his average.
There are no stupid questions, just stupid people.
User avatar
amber_fluid
Coach
 
 
Posts: 10615
Joined: Wed May 21, 2008 10:18 am
Has liked: 1864 times
Been liked: 2032 times

Re: Australian Domestic Season 2021/22

Postby RB » Fri Nov 26, 2021 1:12 pm

whufc wrote:He will play the first test but do we think his on last chance saloon. How many times has been dropped and back in now…..3 gets dropped a fourth time at 27 years old and selected will most likely pigeon hole him


If his surname was Marsh, he'd have about twenty more chances.
R.I.P. the SANFL 1877 - 2013
User avatar
RB
Assistant Coach
 
Posts: 4609
Joined: Fri Aug 26, 2011 3:45 pm
Has liked: 542 times
Been liked: 781 times

Re: Australian Domestic Season 2021/22

Postby RB » Fri Nov 26, 2021 1:13 pm

amber_fluid wrote:20 years ago an average of 39 would have got you dropped from the state side.
Lehmann, Love, Siddons, Law etc would be laughing at his average.
Agreed. Meanwhile, we're apparently set to pick Marcus Harris.
R.I.P. the SANFL 1877 - 2013
User avatar
RB
Assistant Coach
 
Posts: 4609
Joined: Fri Aug 26, 2011 3:45 pm
Has liked: 542 times
Been liked: 781 times

Re: Australian Domestic Season 2021/22

Postby The Bedge » Fri Nov 26, 2021 1:14 pm

whufc wrote:3 gets dropped a fourth time at 27 years old and selected will most likely pigeon hole him

Lol talking about debuting Carey @ 30 but pigeon holing Head @ 27.

Anyway, Head's test innings working backwards (thanks Cricinfo):

India
38 (second top score)
17 (fail, but more than Smith, Burns & Paine)
7 (Wade & Burns made 8, Smith 1, Green 11)

New Zealand
10
114
28 (2nd innings setting up a result - everyone got around 30)
56
5
Dolphin Treasure wrote:Your an attention seeking embarsement..
User avatar
The Bedge
Coach
 
 
Posts: 14318
Joined: Mon Apr 20, 2015 12:28 pm
Has liked: 3012 times
Been liked: 3436 times

Re: Australian Domestic Season 2021/22

Postby The Bedge » Fri Nov 26, 2021 1:14 pm

RB wrote:Agreed. Meanwhile, we're apparently set to pick Marcus Harris.

When Harris fails, whose next to come in?
Dolphin Treasure wrote:Your an attention seeking embarsement..
User avatar
The Bedge
Coach
 
 
Posts: 14318
Joined: Mon Apr 20, 2015 12:28 pm
Has liked: 3012 times
Been liked: 3436 times

Re: Australian Domestic Season 2021/22

Postby Lightning McQueen » Fri Nov 26, 2021 1:15 pm

RB wrote:
whufc wrote:I guess what im trying to say is yes his batting well but I don't think his fixed any of the deficiencies that failed him at test level.


Did he fail that badly though? I agree he had a bad habit of throwing his wicket away, but an average of 39.75 isn't terrible.

At the end of the day you pick the best team available. You can't exclude a bloke on the basis of his deficiencies if you don't have anyone better.

To his defence he needs to play rash shots playing for the Backs as he'll be left stranded on f*** all while everyone around him falls over.
HOGG SHIELD DIVISION V WINNER 2018.
User avatar
Lightning McQueen
Coach
 
Posts: 46507
Joined: Mon Mar 03, 2008 9:43 am
Location: Radiator Springs
Has liked: 3747 times
Been liked: 6567 times

Re: Australian Domestic Season 2021/22

Postby Lightning McQueen » Fri Nov 26, 2021 1:15 pm

The Bedge wrote:
RB wrote:Agreed. Meanwhile, we're apparently set to pick Marcus Harris.

When Harris fails, whose next to come in?

I would've gone Usi from the get go.
HOGG SHIELD DIVISION V WINNER 2018.
User avatar
Lightning McQueen
Coach
 
Posts: 46507
Joined: Mon Mar 03, 2008 9:43 am
Location: Radiator Springs
Has liked: 3747 times
Been liked: 6567 times

Re: Australian Domestic Season 2021/22

Postby amber_fluid » Fri Nov 26, 2021 1:16 pm

RB wrote:
amber_fluid wrote:20 years ago an average of 39 would have got you dropped from the state side.
Lehmann, Love, Siddons, Law etc would be laughing at his average.
Agreed. Meanwhile, we're apparently set to pick Marcus Harris.


I don’t get the love for Harris.
He just doesn’t look up to the standard.

His numbers just don’t stack up.

At least Burns and even Renshaw showed a bit when playing.
There are no stupid questions, just stupid people.
User avatar
amber_fluid
Coach
 
 
Posts: 10615
Joined: Wed May 21, 2008 10:18 am
Has liked: 1864 times
Been liked: 2032 times

Re: Australian Domestic Season 2021/22

Postby Robran » Fri Nov 26, 2021 1:17 pm

The Bedge wrote:
RB wrote:Agreed. Meanwhile, we're apparently set to pick Marcus Harris.

When Harris fails, whose next to come in?

Langer or Hayden
GO THE COCKS
The mighty cocks 2018 premiers
User avatar
Robran
League - Best 21
 
 
Posts: 1534
Joined: Mon Jul 28, 2008 12:31 pm
Has liked: 205 times
Been liked: 183 times

Re: Australian Domestic Season 2021/22

Postby amber_fluid » Fri Nov 26, 2021 1:17 pm

Lightning McQueen wrote:
The Bedge wrote:
RB wrote:Agreed. Meanwhile, we're apparently set to pick Marcus Harris.

When Harris fails, whose next to come in?

I would've gone Usi from the get go.


Agree
Usi opens and Head plays at 6
There are no stupid questions, just stupid people.
User avatar
amber_fluid
Coach
 
 
Posts: 10615
Joined: Wed May 21, 2008 10:18 am
Has liked: 1864 times
Been liked: 2032 times

Re: Australian Domestic Season 2021/22

Postby Lightning McQueen » Fri Nov 26, 2021 1:18 pm

amber_fluid wrote:
RB wrote:
amber_fluid wrote:20 years ago an average of 39 would have got you dropped from the state side.
Lehmann, Love, Siddons, Law etc would be laughing at his average.
Agreed. Meanwhile, we're apparently set to pick Marcus Harris.


I don’t get the love for Harris.
He just doesn’t look up to the standard.

His numbers just don’t stack up.

At least Burns and even Renshaw showed a bit when playing.

I'll remove half of my like because of your Renshaw reference.
HOGG SHIELD DIVISION V WINNER 2018.
User avatar
Lightning McQueen
Coach
 
Posts: 46507
Joined: Mon Mar 03, 2008 9:43 am
Location: Radiator Springs
Has liked: 3747 times
Been liked: 6567 times

Re: Australian Domestic Season 2021/22

Postby Lightning McQueen » Fri Nov 26, 2021 1:19 pm

amber_fluid wrote:
Lightning McQueen wrote:
The Bedge wrote:
RB wrote:Agreed. Meanwhile, we're apparently set to pick Marcus Harris.

When Harris fails, whose next to come in?

I would've gone Usi from the get go.


Agree
Usi opens and Head plays at 6

You just gotta be difficult dont cha?
HOGG SHIELD DIVISION V WINNER 2018.
User avatar
Lightning McQueen
Coach
 
Posts: 46507
Joined: Mon Mar 03, 2008 9:43 am
Location: Radiator Springs
Has liked: 3747 times
Been liked: 6567 times

Re: Australian Domestic Season 2021/22

Postby whufc » Fri Nov 26, 2021 2:29 pm

The Bedge wrote:
whufc wrote:3 gets dropped a fourth time at 27 years old and selected will most likely pigeon hole him

Lol talking about debuting Carey @ 30 but pigeon holing Head @ 27.

Anyway, Head's test innings working backwards (thanks Cricinfo):

India
38 (second top score)
17 (fail, but more than Smith, Burns & Paine)
7 (Wade & Burns made 8, Smith 1, Green 11)

New Zealand
10
114
28 (2nd innings setting up a result - everyone got around 30)
56
5


So dropped averaging 35 over a two series period is not completely unreasonable whilst still being in the unlucky category. I also think the selectors decided to forget the NZ series and look purely his performances against that Indian attack was the standard he was going to continue to produce against them. Was some very very soft dismissals against India as well, does that count and should it….??

Was theee an England series before the NZ one where he failed badly and then the NZ series kind of resurrected him or am I making that up.
RIP PH408 63notoutforever
User avatar
whufc
Coach
 
 
Posts: 23742
Joined: Tue Aug 01, 2006 10:56 am
Location: Blakeview
Has liked: 4305 times
Been liked: 1909 times
Grassroots Team: BSR

Re: Australian Domestic Season 2021/22

Postby The Bedge » Fri Nov 26, 2021 2:41 pm

whufc wrote:So dropped averaging 35 over a two series period is not completely unreasonable whilst still being in the unlucky category. I also think the selectors decided to forget the NZ series and look purely his performances against that Indian attack was the standard he was going to continue to produce against them. Was some very very soft dismissals against India as well, does that count and should it….??

Was theee an England series before the NZ one where he failed badly and then the NZ series kind of resurrected him or am I making that up.

Testing my memory, but I recall Wade opening the batting because Warner(?) was injured early in the series against India. When he was available there was a lot of chat between who out of Wade or Head made way for him, given their numbers were similar and they were viewed as the two that weren't locked away.

Wade had a couple of innings that showed "ticker" and he was given the nod for the remainder of the series at the expense of Head.

Can't recall if his dismissals were soft against India, but again from memory he was one of the few that batted reasonable time.

England in England is the series you're thinking of I believe back in 2019
Dolphin Treasure wrote:Your an attention seeking embarsement..
User avatar
The Bedge
Coach
 
 
Posts: 14318
Joined: Mon Apr 20, 2015 12:28 pm
Has liked: 3012 times
Been liked: 3436 times

Re: Australian Domestic Season 2021/22

Postby whufc » Fri Nov 26, 2021 2:46 pm

The Bedge wrote:
whufc wrote:So dropped averaging 35 over a two series period is not completely unreasonable whilst still being in the unlucky category. I also think the selectors decided to forget the NZ series and look purely his performances against that Indian attack was the standard he was going to continue to produce against them. Was some very very soft dismissals against India as well, does that count and should it….??

Was theee an England series before the NZ one where he failed badly and then the NZ series kind of resurrected him or am I making that up.

Testing my memory, but I recall Wade opening the batting because Warner(?) was injured early in the series against India. When he was available there was a lot of chat between who out of Wade or Head made way for him, given their numbers were similar and they were viewed as the two that weren't locked away.

Wade had a couple of innings that showed "ticker" and he was given the nod for the remainder of the series at the expense of Head.

Can't recall if his dismissals were soft against India, but again from memory he was one of the few that batted reasonable time.


I remember the Wade ticker call getting him the nod then following up with getting caught off the spinner skied at mid wicket with sun burn to his retinas. I also recall there being an ashes amongst all that which Wade did actually do well, maybe as a replacement for Head iirc
RIP PH408 63notoutforever
User avatar
whufc
Coach
 
 
Posts: 23742
Joined: Tue Aug 01, 2006 10:56 am
Location: Blakeview
Has liked: 4305 times
Been liked: 1909 times
Grassroots Team: BSR

Re: Australian Domestic Season 2021/22

Postby RB » Fri Nov 26, 2021 6:44 pm

whufc wrote:I also recall there being an ashes amongst all that which Wade did actually do well, maybe as a replacement for Head iirc


Wade had a couple of brilliant innings in England in 2019. I don't recall any Australians other than him and Smith hitting centuries.

That series deservedly bought him a couple more series, but he's been junk since Pakistan in Australia 2019-20.
R.I.P. the SANFL 1877 - 2013
User avatar
RB
Assistant Coach
 
Posts: 4609
Joined: Fri Aug 26, 2011 3:45 pm
Has liked: 542 times
Been liked: 781 times

Re: Australian Domestic Season 2021/22

Postby The Dark Knight » Fri Nov 26, 2021 10:39 pm

RB wrote:
whufc wrote:I also recall there being an ashes amongst all that which Wade did actually do well, maybe as a replacement for Head iirc


Wade had a couple of brilliant innings in England in 2019. I don't recall any Australians other than him and Smith hitting centuries.

That series deservedly bought him a couple more series, but he's been junk since Pakistan in Australia 2019-20.

Yes, they were the only 2 Aussies to score hundreds in the 2019 Ashes. Smith made 3 hundreds and Wade made 2.

I'm not sure what Whufc is on about, maybe it's worth actually looking it up and doing some reading rather than just guessing. Wade never replaced Head in the team in that series, Mitch Marsh did in the 5th test. Head batted 5 and Wade batted 6 in the first 4 tests until Head was dropped for the 5th test and Wade batted 5 and Marsh 6.
User avatar
The Dark Knight
Coach
 
Posts: 30897
Joined: Sat Mar 06, 2010 12:32 pm
Location: Gotham City
Has liked: 7658 times
Been liked: 1148 times
Grassroots Team: North Haven

Re: Australian Domestic Season 2021/22

Postby Brodlach » Sun Nov 28, 2021 10:13 am

Both Kelly boys named to play in today’s one day game
July 11th 2012....
Brodlach wrote:Rory Laird might end up the best IMO, he is an absolute jet. He has been in great form at the Bloods
User avatar
Brodlach
Coach
 
 
Posts: 39941
Joined: Mon Jan 15, 2007 1:18 pm
Location: Unley
Has liked: 71 times
Been liked: 3086 times
Grassroots Team: Colonel Light Gardens

Re: Australian Domestic Season 2021/22

Postby Brodlach » Sun Nov 28, 2021 10:14 am

South Australia XI: Henry Hunt, Alex Carey (wk), Travis Head (c), Jake Lehmann, Nathan McSweeney, Thomas Kelly, Nathan McAndrew, Corey Kelly, Daniel Worrall, Wes Agar, Lloyd Pope
July 11th 2012....
Brodlach wrote:Rory Laird might end up the best IMO, he is an absolute jet. He has been in great form at the Bloods
User avatar
Brodlach
Coach
 
 
Posts: 39941
Joined: Mon Jan 15, 2007 1:18 pm
Location: Unley
Has liked: 71 times
Been liked: 3086 times
Grassroots Team: Colonel Light Gardens

PreviousNext

Board index   Other Sports  Cricket

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests