Australian International Summer (The Ashes) 2021/22

First Class Cricket Talk (International and State)

Re: Australian International Summer (The Ashes) 2021/22

Postby DOC » Mon Dec 06, 2021 9:15 pm

Hobart for me.

It is a proper first class venue.
User avatar
DOC
Coach
 
 
Posts: 13295
Joined: Wed May 16, 2007 7:15 pm
Has liked: 418 times
Been liked: 1404 times

Re: Australian International Summer (The Ashes) 2021/22

Postby The Dark Knight » Mon Dec 06, 2021 9:32 pm

am Bays wrote:Last time was in 03-04 Zim and India (SCG) before that 85-86 NZ And India (SCG) and the last time the MCG had two tests was 81-82 Pak and WI.

Used to be stock standard Sydney and Melb alternating having two tests every 2nd year.
What about 2 tests against the same opposition in the same series? How long ago did that happen?
That's what I ment by not wanting one city getting two test matches in a summer.
User avatar
The Dark Knight
Coach
 
Posts: 30897
Joined: Sat Mar 06, 2010 12:32 pm
Location: Gotham City
Has liked: 7658 times
Been liked: 1148 times
Grassroots Team: North Haven

Re: Australian International Summer (The Ashes) 2021/22

Postby Aerie » Mon Dec 06, 2021 10:29 pm

They should just swap the Adelaide and Perth Test for this summer. WA borders are still open to those in QLD and having an Adelaide Test in January will be like the good old days.
User avatar
Aerie
Coach
 
 
Posts: 5201
Joined: Wed Nov 16, 2005 1:05 am
Has liked: 92 times
Been liked: 361 times

Re: Australian International Summer (The Ashes) 2021/22

Postby am Bays » Tue Dec 07, 2021 7:26 am

The Dark Knight wrote:
am Bays wrote:Last time was in 03-04 Zim and India (SCG) before that 85-86 NZ And India (SCG) and the last time the MCG had two tests was 81-82 Pak and WI.

Used to be stock standard Sydney and Melb alternating having two tests every 2nd year.
What about 2 tests against the same opposition in the same series? How long ago did that happen?
That's what I ment by not wanting one city getting two test matches in a summer.

February 1979 vs 6th test v England in Sydney 4th was played in January

There we’re actually 8 test that summer. Perth and Melbourne also got two when Pakistan toured in Feb/Mar
Let that be a lesson to you Port, no one beats the Bays five times in a row in a GF and gets away with it!!!
User avatar
am Bays
Coach
 
 
Posts: 16510
Joined: Sat Dec 17, 2005 11:04 pm
Location: The back bar at Lennies
Has liked: 119 times
Been liked: 1308 times

Re: Australian International Summer (The Ashes) 2021/22

Postby The Bedge » Tue Dec 07, 2021 8:37 am

The Dark Knight wrote:Hopefully Hobart gets it, Canberra the next option. I don't like the idea of cities getting two test matches in a summer (if it can be avoided with COVID restrictions of course).

Agree.. give it to Tassie, it’ll be good for cricket.
Dolphin Treasure wrote:Your an attention seeking embarsement..
User avatar
The Bedge
Coach
 
 
Posts: 14318
Joined: Mon Apr 20, 2015 12:28 pm
Has liked: 3012 times
Been liked: 3436 times

Re: Australian International Summer (The Ashes) 2021/22

Postby RB » Tue Dec 07, 2021 9:35 am

Canberra for mine. Hobart test crowds have been abysmal in recent seasons.
R.I.P. the SANFL 1877 - 2013
User avatar
RB
Assistant Coach
 
Posts: 4609
Joined: Fri Aug 26, 2011 3:45 pm
Has liked: 542 times
Been liked: 781 times

Re: Australian International Summer (The Ashes) 2021/22

Postby Lightning McQueen » Tue Dec 07, 2021 9:37 am

RB wrote:Hobart test crowds have been abysmal in recent seasons.

And they all get in on a family pass.
HOGG SHIELD DIVISION V WINNER 2018.
User avatar
Lightning McQueen
Coach
 
Posts: 46507
Joined: Mon Mar 03, 2008 9:43 am
Location: Radiator Springs
Has liked: 3747 times
Been liked: 6567 times

Re: Australian International Summer (The Ashes) 2021/22

Postby The Dark Knight » Tue Dec 07, 2021 9:49 am

There's news this morning that Jimmy Anderson has been ruled out of the first test due to a calf injury.
User avatar
The Dark Knight
Coach
 
Posts: 30897
Joined: Sat Mar 06, 2010 12:32 pm
Location: Gotham City
Has liked: 7658 times
Been liked: 1148 times
Grassroots Team: North Haven

Re: Australian International Summer (The Ashes) 2021/22

Postby am Bays » Tue Dec 07, 2021 9:51 am

It'll be Melbourne

$$$$ for CA
Let that be a lesson to you Port, no one beats the Bays five times in a row in a GF and gets away with it!!!
User avatar
am Bays
Coach
 
 
Posts: 16510
Joined: Sat Dec 17, 2005 11:04 pm
Location: The back bar at Lennies
Has liked: 119 times
Been liked: 1308 times

Re: Australian International Summer (The Ashes) 2021/22

Postby The Bedge » Tue Dec 07, 2021 9:59 am

RB wrote:Canberra for mine. Hobart test crowds have been abysmal in recent seasons.

Doens't help when they generally get shit tests

2016 vs South Africa
2015 vs West Indies
2012 vs Sri Lanka

Real blockbuster stuff
Dolphin Treasure wrote:Your an attention seeking embarsement..
User avatar
The Bedge
Coach
 
 
Posts: 14318
Joined: Mon Apr 20, 2015 12:28 pm
Has liked: 3012 times
Been liked: 3436 times

Re: Australian International Summer (The Ashes) 2021/22

Postby Lightning McQueen » Tue Dec 07, 2021 10:03 am

The Dark Knight wrote:There's news this morning that Jimmy Anderson has been ruled out of the first test due to a calf injury.

Drats, he suits the GABBA.
HOGG SHIELD DIVISION V WINNER 2018.
User avatar
Lightning McQueen
Coach
 
Posts: 46507
Joined: Mon Mar 03, 2008 9:43 am
Location: Radiator Springs
Has liked: 3747 times
Been liked: 6567 times

Re: Australian International Summer (The Ashes) 2021/22

Postby Jim05 » Tue Dec 07, 2021 10:45 am

Lightning McQueen wrote:
The Dark Knight wrote:There's news this morning that Jimmy Anderson has been ruled out of the first test due to a calf injury.

Drats, he suits the GABBA.
Most likely misses the Adelaide test too.
Jimmy with a pink ball under lights would scare our batsman far more than the other trundlers they have
Jim05
Coach
 
 
Posts: 44560
Joined: Wed Sep 22, 2010 9:03 pm
Has liked: 1115 times
Been liked: 3049 times
Grassroots Team: South Gawler

Re: Australian International Summer (The Ashes) 2021/22

Postby am Bays » Tue Dec 07, 2021 11:19 am

Jim05 wrote:
Lightning McQueen wrote:
The Dark Knight wrote:There's news this morning that Jimmy Anderson has been ruled out of the first test due to a calf injury.

Drats, he suits the GABBA.
Most likely misses the Adelaide test too.
Jimmy with a pink ball under lights would scare our batsman far more than the other trundlers they have

May as well send him home. These were the only two tests that he made me somewhat nervous

After this he goes on the team sheet as B Machine based on his past record in Australia (apart from 2010-11) when we were pooh
Let that be a lesson to you Port, no one beats the Bays five times in a row in a GF and gets away with it!!!
User avatar
am Bays
Coach
 
 
Posts: 16510
Joined: Sat Dec 17, 2005 11:04 pm
Location: The back bar at Lennies
Has liked: 119 times
Been liked: 1308 times

Re: Australian International Summer (The Ashes) 2021/22

Postby Eagles2014 » Tue Dec 07, 2021 11:44 am

Will Swanton (cricket journalist) has gone BANG in his article in Advertiser this morning, absolutely given it to Nathan Lyon. Don't see that sort of article very often these days :shock:
Eagles2014
League - Top 5
 
Posts: 2576
Joined: Fri Aug 15, 2014 1:56 pm
Has liked: 9 times
Been liked: 348 times

Re: Australian International Summer (The Ashes) 2021/22

Postby tigerpie » Tue Dec 07, 2021 2:44 pm

How close is Bye Richardson?
I reckon he's closing in on Starc.

I know they love the lefties but if he bowls pies in Brisbane then what?
Give him another test and hope and pray he comes good in Adelaide?

If not, and barring injury to Hazelwood or God forbid Cummins, Richoman will play at the G on boxing day.
tigerpie
League - Top 5
 
 
Posts: 3184
Joined: Mon Mar 07, 2011 1:00 pm
Has liked: 329 times
Been liked: 280 times

Re: Australian International Summer (The Ashes) 2021/22

Postby Lightning McQueen » Tue Dec 07, 2021 3:13 pm

tigerpie wrote:How close is Bye Richardson?
I reckon he's closing in on Starc.

I know they love the lefties but if he bowls pies in Brisbane then what?
Give him another test and hope and pray he comes good in Adelaide?

If not, and barring injury to Hazelwood or God forbid Cummins, Richoman will play at the G on boxing day.

Mitch is safe until the completion of the Adelaide test, he'll get a 5fa there and buy himself the rest of the series.
HOGG SHIELD DIVISION V WINNER 2018.
User avatar
Lightning McQueen
Coach
 
Posts: 46507
Joined: Mon Mar 03, 2008 9:43 am
Location: Radiator Springs
Has liked: 3747 times
Been liked: 6567 times

Re: Australian International Summer (The Ashes) 2021/22

Postby The Dark Knight » Tue Dec 07, 2021 9:41 pm

am Bays wrote:
Jim05 wrote:
Lightning McQueen wrote:
The Dark Knight wrote:There's news this morning that Jimmy Anderson has been ruled out of the first test due to a calf injury.

Drats, he suits the GABBA.
Most likely misses the Adelaide test too.
Jimmy with a pink ball under lights would scare our batsman far more than the other trundlers they have

May as well send him home. These were the only two tests that he made me somewhat nervous

After this he goes on the team sheet as B Machine based on his past record in Australia (apart from 2010-11) when we were pooh
Well guys England have insisted that there is no injury concerns around Jimmy, he will be rested for the first test to be ready to play in Adelaide.
https://www.espncricinfo.com/story/aus- ... st-1292590

England have named their 12 for tomorrow-
Joe Root (c), Stuart Broad, Rory Burns, Jos Buttler (wk), Haseeb Hameed, Jack Leach, Dawid Malan, Ollie Pope, Ollie Robinson, Ben Stokes, Chris Woakes, Mark Wood.

One sleep to go!
Last edited by The Dark Knight on Tue Dec 07, 2021 10:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
The Dark Knight
Coach
 
Posts: 30897
Joined: Sat Mar 06, 2010 12:32 pm
Location: Gotham City
Has liked: 7658 times
Been liked: 1148 times
Grassroots Team: North Haven

Re: Australian International Summer (The Ashes) 2021/22

Postby DOC » Tue Dec 07, 2021 9:56 pm

Eagles2014 wrote:Will Swanton (cricket journalist) has gone BANG in his article in Advertiser this morning, absolutely given it to Nathan Lyon. Don't see that sort of article very often these days :shock:


Just read it after reading your post. Top class article. Loved the bit about how insulting it is to call him a GOAT when you consider Shane Warne etc.
User avatar
DOC
Coach
 
 
Posts: 13295
Joined: Wed May 16, 2007 7:15 pm
Has liked: 418 times
Been liked: 1404 times

Re: Australian International Summer (The Ashes) 2021/22

Postby shoe boy » Wed Dec 08, 2021 6:59 am

Is it norm to start a Test on Wednesday?
User avatar
shoe boy
Assistant Coach
 
 
Posts: 4331
Joined: Tue Jul 01, 2008 12:58 pm
Has liked: 397 times
Been liked: 193 times

Re: Australian International Summer (The Ashes) 2021/22

Postby Down the Hill » Wed Dec 08, 2021 7:23 am

No - not for the pre Boxing Day and New Years Test. But I think this is the shortest period that a 5 test series has ever been played so the normal structure has gone out the window somewhat.
User avatar
Down the Hill
League Bench Warmer
 
 
Posts: 1321
Joined: Tue May 20, 2008 3:36 pm
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 232 times
Grassroots Team: Brighton District & OS

PreviousNext

Board index   Other Sports  Cricket

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests