Australian International Summer (The Ashes) 2021/22

First Class Cricket Talk (International and State)

Re: Australian International Summer (The Ashes) 2021/22

Postby Brodlach » Fri Dec 10, 2021 9:04 am

Do we bat out our innings or just fit 30 minutes to put them off ?
July 11th 2012....
Brodlach wrote:Rory Laird might end up the best IMO, he is an absolute jet. He has been in great form at the Bloods
Brodlach
Coach

Has liked: 72 times
Been liked: 4207 times
Grassroots Team: Colonel Light Gardens

Postby Lightning McQueen » Fri Dec 10, 2021 9:08 am

Brodlach wrote:Do we bat out our innings or just fit 30 minutes to put them off ?

May aswell bat out now, 20 minutes to get the eye in and then tee off a little to demoralise them.

We have 5 tests in 6 weeks so it would be best to get games over with as quick as we can when we are in the box seat.
HOGG SHIELD DIVISION V WINNER 2018.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Has liked: 4339 times
Been liked: 7902 times

Postby FlyingHigh » Fri Dec 10, 2021 9:19 am

stan wrote:
RB wrote:
Jim05 wrote:84 overs in a day with extended time is absolutely disgusting
Am I correct in saying they played an extra hour all up?

Should be getting through at least 100 overs if that's the case.

Absolutely disgusting for the paying spectators to be swindled like that.

Typical English cheats.
With 4 Quicks part of there attack it was always going to be hard. Plus there spinner. Was getting sent over the fence. All take time.

Sorry, but that is complete cop-out crap.
84 over in 7 hours?
My formula, with the amount of runs and wickets yesterday, would have given England 10-12 minutes grace plus any genuine breaks for injury eg Head, should have seen then bowl 90 overs in about 6 hours 20 minutes.
FlyingHigh
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 81 times
Been liked: 173 times

Postby stan » Fri Dec 10, 2021 9:20 am

FlyingHigh wrote:
stan wrote:
RB wrote:

Typical English cheats.
With 4 Quicks part of there attack it was always going to be hard. Plus there spinner. Was getting sent over the fence. All take time.

84 over in 7 hours?
My formula, with the amount of runs and wickets yesterday, would have given England 10-12 minutes grace plus any genuine breaks for injury eg Head, should have seen then bowl 90 overs in about 6 hours 20 minutes.
Yeah true, they were pretty slow and average out there.
Read my reply. It is directed at you because you have double standards
stan
Coach

Has liked: 88 times
Been liked: 1253 times
Grassroots Team: Goodwood Saints

Postby stan » Fri Dec 10, 2021 9:21 am

Need to bat it out I would think. The 2nd innings will be a hard slog for the bowlers as England surely will bat better than the 1st dig.
Read my reply. It is directed at you because you have double standards
stan
Coach

Has liked: 88 times
Been liked: 1253 times
Grassroots Team: Goodwood Saints

Postby gadj1976 » Fri Dec 10, 2021 9:23 am

FlyingHigh wrote:
stan wrote:
RB wrote:

Typical English cheats.

84 over in 7 hours?

Here here. And we wonder why test cricket is dying overseas. Make it a minimum of 90 overs or penalise teams accordingly. That will hurry them up.

Yesterday, should've been 98 overs. If the day was played accordingly, we could've declared and sent them back in. That to me is gamesmanship by the Poms and whilst they can get away with it, they and every other playing nation will keep doing it. I heard that they get penalised World Championship points. WHOOP DE DOO! At the end of the day it's not going to save the sport.
gadj1976
Coach

Has liked: 795 times
Been liked: 849 times

Postby gadj1976 » Fri Dec 10, 2021 9:26 am

stan wrote:Need to bat it out I would think. The 2nd innings will be a hard slog for the bowlers as England surely will bat better than the 1st dig.

I'm a bit torn. I'd declare but only on the basis I wouldn't like to have to chase a heap on a last day pitch. If you bat for 45 mins this morning and make 25/30 (against a new ball remembering) that takes 55 mins away from you bowling them out and chasing the runs (if any!)

It doesn't look like the weather will play a part which is one blessing.
gadj1976
Coach

Has liked: 795 times
Been liked: 849 times

Postby whufc » Fri Dec 10, 2021 9:31 am

Brodlach wrote:Do we bat out our innings or just fit 30 minutes to put them off ?

Why the rush to declare...….we are at the beginning day 3!!!! Still at least 240 overs left in the game even if we only bowl 80 a day.

If we hit another 50 odd runs we pretty much cant lose the match, that would give us a 250 run lead and England would need to hit 400 minimum-450 to even make a game of it.

Have to play the long game, grind the England bowlers into the ground when the oppurtunity presents, hurt the rest of their series. If we can make them bowl until mid second session we will have a lead of 350-400. Will then be able to put all our eggs into taking 10 wickets and not having to bat again.

It's not like time is going to play a role in this test so need to give them a 'sniff' so they play more shots etc.
RIP PH408 63notoutforever
whufc
Coach

Has liked: 5566 times
Been liked: 2519 times
Grassroots Team: BSR

Postby FlyingHigh » Fri Dec 10, 2021 9:36 am

gadj1976 wrote:
Here here. And we wonder why test cricket is dying overseas. Make it a minimum of 90 overs or penalise teams accordingly. That will hurry them up.

Yesterday, should've been 98 overs. If the day was played accordingly, we could've declared and sent them back in. That to me is gamesmanship by the Poms and whilst they can get away with it, they and every other playing nation will keep doing it. I heard that they get penalised World Championship points. WHOOP DE DOO! At the end of the day it's not going to save the sport.

Yeah, I was thinking of a normal day, and absolutely it should have been 98 overs minimum, and you could make the argument it should have 103-105 overs based in 15 an hour.
What I don't get is why, early on, they didn't try to get through their overs quicker, put more pressure on the batsmen by hurrying them up a little, get more balls in when the conditions were in the bowlers favour.

And fully agree about the players and administrators being culpable in not doing their best for the sport.
FlyingHigh
Assistant Coach

Postby FlyingHigh » Fri Dec 10, 2021 9:38 am

whufc wrote:

Why the rush to declare...….we are at the beginning day 3!!!! Still at least 240 overs left in the game even if we only bowl 80 a day.

If we hit another 50 odd runs we pretty much cant lose the match, that would give us a 250 run lead and England would need to hit 400 minimum-450 to even make a game of it.

Have to play the long game, grind the England bowlers into the ground when the oppurtunity presents, hurt the rest of their series. If we can make them bowl until mid second session we will have a lead of 350-400. Will then be able to put all our eggs into taking 10 wickets and not having to bat again.

It's not like time is going to play a role in this test so need to give them a 'sniff' so they play more shots etc.

Agree, let the innings take it's natural course, which more than likely means we have 1/2 hour at them before lunch.
FlyingHigh
Assistant Coach

Postby Lightning McQueen » Fri Dec 10, 2021 9:41 am

FlyingHigh wrote:
whufc wrote:

Agree, let the innings take it's natural course, which more than likely means we have 1/2 hour at them before lunch.

I'd like to see Head and Starc open up after the first half an hour if we get through it, most wickets for the match have been from defensive shots, the zip around can get the batter in to too much of a defensive mind frame.

We have enough runs in front and if we're bowling early enough there will still be plenty of movement for our seamers.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Postby The Dark Knight » Fri Dec 10, 2021 9:43 am

Brodlach wrote:
The Dark Knight wrote:Afternoon rain/possible storm forecast in Brisbane today then overnight leading into tomorrow. Hopefully it's not as bad as predicted.

It’s always as bad as predicted in Queensland

Well it wasn't as bad as predicted and there was no rain that effected play yesterday.
A chance of showers forecast today.
The Dark Knight
Coach

Has liked: 10299 times
Been liked: 1517 times
Grassroots Team: North Haven

Postby FlyingHigh » Fri Dec 10, 2021 9:45 am

Lightning McQueen wrote:
FlyingHigh wrote:
whufc wrote:

I'd like to see Head and Starc open up after the first half an hour if we get through it, most wickets for the match have been from defensive shots, the zip around can get the batter in to too much of a defensive mind frame.

We have enough runs in front and if we're bowling early enough there will still be plenty of movement for our seamers.

True, the pitch could start to flatten out later in the day, meaning an extra half-hour bowling early on could be useful.
FlyingHigh
Assistant Coach

Postby Brodlach » Fri Dec 10, 2021 9:46 am

The Dark Knight wrote:
Brodlach wrote:
The Dark Knight wrote:Afternoon rain/possible storm forecast in Brisbane today then overnight leading into tomorrow. Hopefully it's not as bad as predicted.

It’s always as bad as predicted in Queensland

Well it wasn't as bad as predicted and there was no rain that effected play yesterday.
A chance of showers forecast today.

True TDK :prayer: :prayer:

It was 15 minutes after play finished
July 11th 2012....
Brodlach wrote:Rory Laird might end up the best IMO, he is an absolute jet. He has been in great form at the Bloods
Brodlach
Coach

Has liked: 72 times
Been liked: 4207 times
Grassroots Team: Colonel Light Gardens

Postby FlyingHigh » Fri Dec 10, 2021 10:01 am

stan wrote:
FlyingHigh wrote:
stan wrote: With 4 Quicks part of there attack it was always going to be hard. Plus there spinner. Was getting sent over the fence. All take time.

84 over in 7 hours?
Yeah true, they were pretty slow and average out there.

Or were you taking the piss and I missed the humour and took the bait?
FlyingHigh
Assistant Coach

Postby whufc » Fri Dec 10, 2021 10:08 am

Lightning McQueen wrote:
FlyingHigh wrote:
whufc wrote:

Yeah absolutely be positive, play some shots and lets see if we can get another 100 on the board in a session.
RIP PH408 63notoutforever
whufc
Coach

Has liked: 5566 times
Been liked: 2519 times
Grassroots Team: BSR

Postby shoe boy » Fri Dec 10, 2021 10:24 am

Bat as long as you can, and grind the bowlers .
shoe boy
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 488 times
Been liked: 209 times

Postby Dinglinga75 » Fri Dec 10, 2021 10:42 am

shoe boy wrote:Bat as long as you can, and grind the bowlers .

Mental Disintegration

If they want to REST their best 2 bowlers then lets burn out the other bowlers.......
Dinglinga75
Under 16s

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 65 times
Grassroots Team: Salisbury

Postby Lightning McQueen » Fri Dec 10, 2021 10:47 am

Dinglinga75 wrote:
shoe boy wrote:Bat as long as you can, and grind the bowlers .

Mental Disintegration

If they want to REST their best 2 bowlers then lets burn out the other bowlers.......

Here's Starc's golden opportunity to reach those 3 figures.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Postby The Bedge » Fri Dec 10, 2021 10:50 am

Lightning McQueen wrote:Here's Starc's golden opportunity to reach those 3 figures.

Lol let him get to 50 first. :lol:
Dolphin Treasure wrote:Your an attention seeking embarsement..
The Bedge
Coach

Has liked: 3188 times
Been liked: 3989 times

PreviousNext

Board index   Other Sports  Cricket