Season 2022 Player Movements

All discussions to do with the SANFL

Re: Season 2022 Player Movements

Postby Al4 » Sun Dec 12, 2021 2:34 pm

I agree with gazzamagoo - I think we have done pretty well with our recruits and we have quite a few very promising youngsters coming through - we have now become a very young side. Keeping Shay Linke for next season is an unexpected bonus, Rhett Montgomerie will be back, and Isiah Dudley could be a very exciting player. I'm really interested to see if Jakob Thomson can make it at league level - he has the skills, has a bit of aggro and uses his body well. He lacks leg speed but he's the same size as Buckets McKenzie - who did pretty well for us!
Al4

Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 10 times

Postby southernbulldog » Sun Dec 12, 2021 3:12 pm

For a ruckman leg speed may not be a major issue .There a few ruckman in our comp that dont have it .Would be great if Jakob could get some coaching from some one like Buckets.
southernbulldog
Reserves

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 237 times
Grassroots Team: Brighton District & OS

Postby gazzamagoo » Mon Dec 13, 2021 6:57 am

Might have to give Trent Ormond Allen a ring :D

Sam Frost was coming but has decided to stay in NSW,
the club has a new signing but isn't ready to reveal the name yet.
gazzamagoo
League - Top 5

Has liked: 1656 times
Been liked: 643 times
Grassroots Team: Salisbury

Postby Spargo » Mon Dec 13, 2021 7:13 am

gazzamagoo wrote:the club has a new signing but isn't ready to reveal the name yet.

Why?
2017 safooty NFL tipping champ

Don’t lose your grip on the dreams of the past
You must fight just to keep them alive...
Spargo
Coach

Has liked: 5457 times
Been liked: 5089 times
Grassroots Team: Sacred Heart OC

Postby Brodlach » Mon Dec 13, 2021 7:18 am

gazzamagoo wrote:Might have to give Trent Ormond Allen a ring :D

Frost was never going to the Dogs
July 11th 2012....
Brodlach wrote:Rory Laird might end up the best IMO, he is an absolute jet. He has been in great form at the Bloods
Brodlach
Coach

Has liked: 72 times
Been liked: 4206 times
Grassroots Team: Colonel Light Gardens

Postby beef » Mon Dec 13, 2021 7:35 am

Al4 wrote:I agree with gazzamagoo - I think we have done pretty well with our recruits and we have quite a few very promising youngsters coming through - we have now become a very young side. Keeping Shay Linke for next season is an unexpected bonus, Rhett Montgomerie will be back, and Isiah Dudley could be a very exciting player. I'm really interested to see if Jakob Thomson can make it at league level - he has the skills, has a bit of aggro and uses his body well. He lacks leg speed but he's the same size as Buckets McKenzie - who did pretty well for us!

Shay Linke would be one of the unluckiest guys going around. Should've 100% been drafted but had a boating accident and last year spent half the season on side lines due to severe burns and was in RAH burns unit for a couple weeks.
Agree with Dudley but i feel unfortunately we will never see the best of him under a Paul Thomas coaching style. More natural talent than any kid ive seen in the last 10 years. Disgraceful how he is treated by senior people at that club
beef
League - Best 21

Has liked: 7 times
Been liked: 253 times

Postby southernbulldog » Mon Dec 13, 2021 9:57 am

Do you want to elaborate ?
southernbulldog
Reserves

Postby Hazydog » Mon Dec 13, 2021 9:57 am

Admittedly not remotely close to the Dudley situation but we all know natural talent will only take you so far in footy. In the lead up to the draft I heard numerous comments around questionable work rate which was coming from wider sources than the club. The ball kid very much in the kid’s court I would suggest and if he really wants success it is there for the taking regardless of a coaching style (which is likely of an AFL type anyway)

Also have similar hopes for Thomson… no doubt the kid has natural footy smarts and ability, it’s more a matter of how much he wants it and how fit he is prepared to get….
Players win touches, Teams win matches, Clubs win Premierships.
Hazydog
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 115 times
Been liked: 190 times

Postby gazzamagoo » Mon Dec 13, 2021 10:08 am

Brodlach wrote:

yep, even though people on here still don't believe it, but he didn't want to "play out there"
gazzamagoo
League - Top 5

Postby gazzamagoo » Mon Dec 13, 2021 10:09 am

Hazydog wrote:Admittedly not remotely close to the Dudley situation but we all know natural talent will only take you so far in footy. In the lead up to the draft I heard numerous comments around questionable work rate which was coming from wider sources than the club. The ball kid very much in the kid’s court I would suggest and if he really wants success it is there for the taking regardless of a coaching style (which is likely of an AFL type anyway)

Also have similar hopes for Thomson… no doubt the kid has natural footy smarts and ability, it’s more a matter of how much he wants it and how fit he is prepared to get….

That's right, there's always 2 sides to the story,
just look at Grubb for instance.
And Kennedy
gazzamagoo
League - Top 5

Postby beef » Mon Dec 13, 2021 12:07 pm

Hazydog wrote:Admittedly not remotely close to the Dudley situation but we all know natural talent will only take you so far in footy. In the lead up to the draft I heard numerous comments around questionable work rate which was coming from wider sources than the club. The ball kid very much in the kid’s court I would suggest and if he really wants success it is there for the taking regardless of a coaching style (which is likely of an AFL type anyway)

All know he needs to work harder. How about someone at the club actually taking him under their wing and actually trying to mentor him / teach him whats required. No instead thommo just says this kid is lazy and doesnt talk so he can go play 18s instead and train with them. If it wasnt for certain people in the underage program (who have since moved on) he probably would've walked out last year.
beef
League - Best 21

Has liked: 7 times
Been liked: 253 times

Postby whufc » Mon Dec 13, 2021 12:16 pm

gazzamagoo wrote:
Brodlach wrote:

yep, even though people on here still don't believe it, but he didn't want to "play out there"

I'm not saying potential players aren't saying that to the club.

What I am saying is watch how quick that excuse goes away if we start to win more games of football.

I mean only in 2017 when we last played finals we managed to get......Fort x 2, Jansen, Stephenson, Butcher, Holman, Milne to all play 'out there'. That's a third of the team willing to.
RIP PH408 63notoutforever
whufc
Coach

Has liked: 5565 times
Been liked: 2519 times
Grassroots Team: BSR

Postby cracka » Mon Dec 13, 2021 7:41 pm

Jordan Houlihan & Malachi Lines apparently playing for Mount Barker next year
cracka
Veteran

Has liked: 458 times
Been liked: 560 times
Grassroots Team: Onkaparinga Valley

Postby arcadefire » Mon Dec 13, 2021 8:57 pm

arcadefire
Rookie

Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 33 times

Postby Big Phil » Mon Dec 13, 2021 11:38 pm

arcadefire wrote:Jack Hayes to St Kilda

https://www.codesports.com.au/afl/st-ki ... 61e052e469

For a training invite, at this stage.
Big Phil
Coach

Has liked: 120 times
Been liked: 271 times

Postby southernbulldog » Mon Dec 13, 2021 11:41 pm

The best player in the comp massive out if St Kilda take him.
southernbulldog
Reserves

Postby Mr Fuller » Tue Dec 14, 2021 9:26 am

southernbulldog wrote:The best player in the comp massive out if St Kilda take him.

He'd be a huge loss for us. Glad he is finally getting an opportunity even if it is simply training a this stage.

I do have questions on where St Kilda see his position though. He has dominated the SANFL for past two years as a mobile ruckman with smaller stints up forward.

If he is viewed as being recruited as a key forward then ironically he may be competing with another former Eagle Cooper Sharman.
Mr Fuller
Reserves

Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 123 times

Postby whybother » Tue Dec 14, 2021 9:40 am

"The best player in the comp massive out if St Kilda take him (JH)."

This was not the news I wanted for Xmas. Good luck to JH if that's what he wants, I suppose, but it would be a terrible waste if he ends up being a backup to a backup in the St Kilda VFL side. I hope his brother can talk to him about being a fringe AFL player.
whybother
Under 16s

Has liked: 108 times
Been liked: 97 times

Postby Aerie » Tue Dec 14, 2021 10:08 am

I hope Jack Hayes gets his chance in the AFL. Can't believe he is not on a list. His work as a mobile ruck over the last couple of years adds to his credentials to be capable of being a roaming forward at AFL level who can work up the ground and deliver inside 50 or a key forward who can take a good mark either in a pack or on the lead. Still only 24. Obviously would be a huge loss to the Eagles if he gets listed!
Aerie
Coach

Has liked: 147 times
Been liked: 503 times

Postby Eagles Nest » Tue Dec 14, 2021 10:56 am

Aerie wrote:I hope Jack Hayes gets his chance in the AFL. Can't believe he is not on a list. His work as a mobile ruck over the last couple of years adds to his credentials to be capable of being a roaming forward at AFL level who can work up the ground and deliver inside 50 or a key forward who can take a good mark either in a pack or on the lead. Still only 24. Obviously would be a huge loss to the Eagles if he gets listed!

I'd suggest Sheedy knew that this might happen and why we went so hard for Ballenden.
Eagles Nest
Rookie

Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 30 times
Grassroots Team: Flinders Park

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  SANFL