BBL 21/22

First Class Cricket Talk (International and State)

Re: BBL 21/22

Postby mal » Tue Dec 14, 2021 12:00 pm

am Bays wrote:yes I'm a grumpy old b@st@rd who knows best about all things cricket and things were soooo much better in my day but how hard is it to get into the BBL this year?

over it all ready

Street
Hunt
Renshaw
Maddinson
Khawaja
Marsh
Inglis
Neser
Steketee
Swepson
Boland

Warner
Harris
Labuschagne
Smith
Head
Green
Carey
Cummins
STARc
Lyon
Hazelwood

In answer to your post
It would be much harder to make a BBL team if the Australia A team and the Australian Test team had players available
At least a few of the Aussie A team players are returning now

Theres a couple in the England Test team that have previously played in the BBL
Joe Root and Josh Butler

And did Covid/Delta/Omicron stop any Internationals coming over ?

Considering who is available in the BBL season it does well and its entertaining to enough people
mal
Coach

Has liked: 1138 times
Been liked: 892 times

Postby The Dark Knight » Tue Dec 14, 2021 9:58 pm

mal wrote:
am Bays wrote:yes I'm a grumpy old b@st@rd who knows best about all things cricket and things were soooo much better in my day but how hard is it to get into the BBL this year?

over it all ready

Street
Hunt
Renshaw
Maddinson
Khawaja
Marsh
Inglis
Neser
Steketee
Swepson
Boland

Warner
Harris
Labuschagne
Smith
Head
Green
Carey
Cummins
STARc
Lyon
Hazelwood

In answer to your post
It would be much harder to make a BBL team if the Australia A team and the Australian Test team had players available
At least a few of the Aussie A team players are returning now

Theres a couple in the England Test team that have previously played in the BBL
Joe Root and Josh Butler

And did Covid/Delta/Omicron stop any Internationals coming over ?

Considering who is available in the BBL season it does well and its entertaining to enough people
You are right in saying this Mal, without any of the Aus and Aus A squad members playing in the BBL there is more second tier Shield squad members and club cricketers playing at the start of the tournament.

With the most of the Aus A guys returning (For example Mitch Swepson for the Heat and Nic Maddinson for the Renegades last night) and the international imports coming in and playing more games I expect the competition to become stronger.

Look at the difference tonight with Perth getting some first choice players in the side, first game back in Mitch Marsh hits 100 and English import Tymal Mills has been outstanding with the ball taking 3/23 off his 4 overs.

A top 6 of Patterson, Munro, Marsh, Inglis, Turner and Evans is strong and then a bowling line up of Behrendorff, Mills, Agar and Tye is very strong too.
The Dark Knight
Coach

Has liked: 10298 times
Been liked: 1516 times
Grassroots Team: North Haven

Postby mighty_tiger_79 » Mon Dec 20, 2021 9:08 pm

Just watching a few minutes of the game tonight.
How that last one was ruled a fair delivery is a mystery...
Oh well bedtime now

Sent from my SM-G781B using Tapatalk
Matty Wade is a star and deserves more respect from the forum family!
mighty_tiger_79
Coach

Has liked: 11807 times
Been liked: 3582 times

Postby Armchair expert » Mon Dec 20, 2021 9:10 pm

The umpiring in the BBL has been questionable at best
Dave Warner will be missed!
Armchair expert
Coach

Has liked: 379 times
Been liked: 1414 times
Grassroots Team: Ports

Postby The Dark Knight » Mon Dec 20, 2021 9:10 pm

mighty_tiger_79 wrote:Just watching a few minutes of the game tonight.
How that last one was ruled a fair delivery is a mystery...
Oh well bedtime now

Sent from my SM-G781B using Tapatalk
I saw that mate, surely a no ball!
The Dark Knight
Coach

Postby Eagles2014 » Tue Dec 21, 2021 11:08 pm

Harsh call, but reckon the Strikers are really missing the Siddle we had the last few years. Would regularly bowl his 4 overs, get 2/20, bowl the tough overs at the death. Been bowling terribly and going for plenty at crucial times :shock:

All credit to him though taking full responsibility after the game, struggling with having the captaincy as well.
Eagles2014
Veteran

Has liked: 124 times
Been liked: 524 times

Postby The Bedge » Wed Dec 22, 2021 5:53 am

Eagles2014 wrote:Harsh call, but reckon the Strikers are really missing the Siddle we had the last few years. Would regularly bowl his 4 overs, get 2/20, bowl the tough overs at the death. Been bowling terribly and going for plenty at crucial times :shock:

All credit to him though taking full responsibility after the game, struggling with having the captaincy as well.

I thought last night they should've bowled Worrall 3 up front while the ball was swinging - aside from the 5 wides, he was hard to get away.

I also don't know why the chopping/changing of bowlers - Ahmed and Khan looked good and tied them down, I would've bowled them 4 straight up front and pushed the run rate through the roof instead of giving them 1/2 and then bowling Garton pies.

Also thought the quicks looked vulnerable, probably could've squeezed an extra over out of Matt Short.

Very sloppy bowling and fielding performance, but remained in the game and really with them needed 10 RPO the last 3 overs, should've been about to get a couple of dots or singles and win the game. Ordinary execution.

Nielsen is a terrible bat and Weatherald looks disinterested.

On the upside, Kelly looks the goods. I also liked Drew the first couple of games.
Dolphin Treasure wrote:Your an attention seeking embarsement..
The Bedge
Coach

Has liked: 3188 times
Been liked: 3989 times

Postby Lightning McQueen » Wed Dec 22, 2021 9:02 am

The Bedge wrote:
Eagles2014 wrote:Harsh call, but reckon the Strikers are really missing the Siddle we had the last few years. Would regularly bowl his 4 overs, get 2/20, bowl the tough overs at the death. Been bowling terribly and going for plenty at crucial times :shock:

I thought last night they should've bowled Worrall 3 up front while the ball was swinging - aside from the 5 wides, he was hard to get away.

I also don't know why the chopping/changing of bowlers - Ahmed and Khan looked good and tied them down, I would've bowled them 4 straight up front and pushed the run rate through the roof instead of giving them 1/2 and then bowling Garton pies.

Also thought the quicks looked vulnerable, probably could've squeezed an extra over out of Matt Short.

Very sloppy bowling and fielding performance, but remained in the game and really with them needed 10 RPO the last 3 overs, should've been about to get a couple of dots or singles and win the game. Ordinary execution.

Nielsen is a terrible bat and Weatherald looks disinterested.

On the upside, Kelly looks the goods. I also liked Drew the first couple of games.

I think with the team we're putting on the park an honourable loss is about all we can expect, especially on the road.

I'm not gonna criticize or bag them, they're doing their best and I don't expect them to be world beaters this season, we are without our two most influential players.

I'm hosting our box for three games coming up so I just hope we take them games to the wire.

Our recruiting strategy needs reviewing if anything, we banked on Head and Carey being available for the comp and we lacked a plan B, we need to push Rashid up the order because I feel as though we're going to lose him when his contract is up.

I've always been critical of Short, I'm glad he's shut me up and displaying the potential he has, I couldn't give two shits in a rain barrel about Renshaw, no wonder Weatherald shows little interest, to actually recruit a flogger like Renshaw must be a kick in the guts for him.
HOGG SHIELD DIVISION V WINNER 2018.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Has liked: 4339 times
Been liked: 7902 times

Postby The Bedge » Wed Dec 22, 2021 9:47 am

I agree with the strength of the side being questionable, but there are things that are within control - execution for starters with bowlers, especially experienced campaigners like Siddle.

Despite the results, I don't actually think it's the worst side - and it's certainly one of the better bowling units, over 4 games have had to defend sub 150 scores and done a very good job in taking the games deep.

Get yourself into positions to win, then you should win.
The Bedge
Coach

Postby amber_fluid » Wed Dec 22, 2021 10:01 am

Siddle has been a great addition to the side but he looks cooked.
Lost a yard of pace as well which doesn’t help.
There are no stupid questions, just stupid people.
amber_fluid
Coach

Has liked: 2217 times
Been liked: 2508 times

Postby shoe boy » Wed Dec 22, 2021 10:11 am

Armchair expert wrote:The umpiring in the BBL has been questionable at best

Thoughts on umpires shield?
shoe boy
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 488 times
Been liked: 209 times

Postby The Bedge » Wed Dec 22, 2021 10:17 am

shoe boy wrote:
Armchair expert wrote:The umpiring in the BBL has been questionable at best

Thoughts on umpires shield?

Jono Wells smashing one last night - not out.
The Bedge
Coach

Postby Lightning McQueen » Wed Dec 22, 2021 10:20 am

amber_fluid wrote:Siddle has been a great addition to the side but he looks cooked.

Hopefully he relinquishes the captaincy next season and gets back to what he does best, you don't need to be express in the short game.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Postby amber_fluid » Wed Dec 22, 2021 10:26 am

Lightning McQueen wrote:
amber_fluid wrote:Siddle has been a great addition to the side but he looks cooked.

Hopefully he relinquishes the captaincy next season and gets back to what he does best, you don't need to be express in the short game.

He has the smarts still to play on but having that change of pace is still a bonus if you’ve got it, a bit like Dan Christian
There are no stupid questions, just stupid people.
amber_fluid
Coach

Has liked: 2217 times
Been liked: 2508 times

Postby mal » Thu Dec 23, 2021 11:46 am

Mitchell Marsh the next Shane Watson
Not anymore
He is Mitchell Marsh
His 20/20 batting this season is as good as any player Ive seen in this competition

Somehow Im hoping it will help him at First Class level, or even Test cricket
I say this as he is such a great player to watch when he is firing
mal
Coach

Has liked: 1138 times
Been liked: 892 times

Postby Lightning McQueen » Thu Dec 23, 2021 12:50 pm

mal wrote:Mitchell Marsh the next Shane Watson
Not anymore
He is Mitchell Marsh
His 20/20 batting this season is as good as any player Ive seen in this competition

Watto could do it at the next level too on a consistent basis, Mitch aint there yet.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Postby whufc » Thu Dec 23, 2021 1:25 pm

Lightning McQueen wrote:
Not anymore
He is Mitchell Marsh

Watto could do it at the next level too on a consistent basis, Mitch aint there yet.

Shane Watson still so underrated as a test cricketer. What Australia would give for a 30/30 all rounder. Especially one that could bat anywhere in the order.

Funnily enough we have found it easier to replace Warne......with Lyon than it has been to replace Watson. Potentially Green is that man and maybe could even surpass Watson.

Its funny what his inability to turn 50's into 100's and his constant reviewing decisions have done to his reputation....his almost mock material.
RIP PH408 63notoutforever
whufc
Coach

Has liked: 5565 times
Been liked: 2519 times
Grassroots Team: BSR

Postby Lightning McQueen » Thu Dec 23, 2021 1:33 pm

whufc wrote:
Lightning McQueen wrote:
Not anymore
He is Mitchell Marsh

Shane Watson still so underrated as a test cricketer. What Australia would give for a 30/30 all rounder. Especially one that could bat anywhere in the order.

Funnily enough we have found it easier to replace Warne......with Lyon than it has been to replace Watson. Potentially Green is that man and maybe could even surpass Watson.

Its funny what his inability to turn 50's into 100's and his constant reviewing decisions have done to his reputation....his almost mock material.

Lyon isn't even in the same library as Warne.

Warne could change a game with his magic and ability to bamboozle batsmen where Lyon gets his wickets by bowling shitloads of overs and waiting for an error.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Postby whufc » Thu Dec 23, 2021 1:36 pm

Lightning McQueen wrote:
whufc wrote:
Lightning McQueen wrote:
Not anymore
He is Mitchell Marsh

Lyon isn't even in the same library as Warne.

Warne could change a game with his magic and ability to bamboozle batsmen where Lyon gets his wickets by bowling shitloads of overs and waiting for an error.

Yeah no where near as good as Warne but I guess I meant more we found a test quality 'spinner' after trial of error of many including Cullen, O'Keefe etc etc. We are still searching for that all rounder.
RIP PH408 63notoutforever
whufc
Coach

Has liked: 5565 times
Been liked: 2519 times
Grassroots Team: BSR

Postby The Dark Knight » Thu Dec 23, 2021 1:46 pm

Not anymore
He is Mitchell Marsh

Marsh is in the form of his life at the moment and played superbly last night, just muscles the ball into gaps so easily now.

The Renegades were going well until Finch and Maddinson got out. Finch played really well in his first game back since the WC Final. He went past 10,000 T20 runs last night, now the 6th player behind Gayle, Pollard, Malik, Warner and Kohli to achieve the milestone.
The Dark Knight
Coach

PreviousNext

Board index   Other Sports  Cricket