Season 2022 Player Movements

All discussions to do with the SANFL

Re: Season 2022 Player Movements

Postby blueandwhite » Tue Dec 14, 2021 10:59 am

Eagles Nest wrote:
Aerie wrote:I hope Jack Hayes gets his chance in the AFL. Can't believe he is not on a list. His work as a mobile ruck over the last couple of years adds to his credentials to be capable of being a roaming forward at AFL level who can work up the ground and deliver inside 50 or a key forward who can take a good mark either in a pack or on the lead. Still only 24. Obviously would be a huge loss to the Eagles if he gets listed!

I'd suggest Sheedy knew that this might happen and why we went so hard for Ballenden.

went extremely hard at Ballenden!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :roll:
Tiocfaidh ár Lá
blueandwhite
League - Best 21

Has liked: 25 times
Been liked: 218 times
Grassroots Team: Jamestown-Peterborough

Postby JK » Tue Dec 14, 2021 11:04 am

whybother wrote:"The best player in the comp massive out if St Kilda take him (JH)."

This was not the news I wanted for Xmas. Good luck to JH if that's what he wants, I suppose, but it would be a terrible waste if he ends up being a backup to a backup in the St Kilda VFL side. I hope his brother can talk to him about being a fringe AFL player.

Yep it stings mate, watching your boys clamp us in the Quali where we were crying out for a key forward who can take a contested mark, and knowing Jackson Callow taken in the MSD was just sitting around in Melbourne gathering dust, wasn't an easy pill to swallow. Rivalries aside I hope JH gets a (decent) crack at AFL because I've always rated him and enjoyed watching him play. But if an AFL club isn't going to give him a genuine opportunity then I hope he stays here and we can see him perform on a weekly basis.
FUSC
JK
Coach

Has liked: 4438 times
Been liked: 2985 times
Grassroots Team: SMOSH West Lakes

Postby goddy11 » Tue Dec 14, 2021 11:32 am

JK wrote:
whybother wrote:"The best player in the comp massive out if St Kilda take him (JH)."

This was not the news I wanted for Xmas. Good luck to JH if that's what he wants, I suppose, but it would be a terrible waste if he ends up being a backup to a backup in the St Kilda VFL side. I hope his brother can talk to him about being a fringe AFL player.

Yep it stings mate, watching your boys clamp us in the Quali where we were crying out for a key forward who can take a contested mark, and knowing Jackson Callow taken in the MSD was just sitting around in Melbourne gathering dust, wasn't an easy pill to swallow. Rivalries aside I hope JH gets a (decent) crack at AFL because I've always rated him and enjoyed watching him play. But if an AFL club isn't going to give him a genuine opportunity then I hope he stays here and we can see him perform on a weekly basis.

He is still only 24. I don't know who he will be competing with at St Kilda but I'm sure he will more than perform. Not too many players that can perform in the forwards, defense and ruck. His set shots have improved. Was a weakness earlier but one on one in a marking contest is his strength.
goddy11
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 559 times
Been liked: 211 times
Grassroots Team: Myponga-Sellicks

Postby Ronnie » Tue Dec 14, 2021 11:49 am

Hayes should've gone in the regular draft. Bus as I've said before, all AFL clubs have a bias or blind spot when it comes to mature agers like Hayes. Instead, a speculative pick on some kid is deemed somehow the more sensible use. Hayes is speculative too to some degree but is proven at a senior level. no way known given professional training he wouldn't be better than a number already on AFL lists.
Ronnie
Reserves

Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 84 times

Postby ferret » Tue Dec 14, 2021 2:27 pm

goddy11 wrote:
JK wrote:

He is still only 24. I don't know who he will be competing with at St Kilda but I'm sure he will more than perform. Not too many players that can perform in the forwards, defense and ruck. His set shots have improved. Was a weakness earlier but one on one in a marking contest is his strength.

25 y.o. (D o B 6/3/1996). Will be 26 at start of next season.
ferret
Reserves

Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 136 times

Postby northerner » Tue Dec 14, 2021 3:40 pm

ferret wrote:
goddy11 wrote:
JK wrote:

Genuine late-bloomer. Much better footballer now than he was 2 years ago. Reckon Callinan was about that age when he finally played an AFL game.

25 y.o. (D o B 6/3/1996). Will be 26 at start of next season.
northerner
Reserves

Has liked: 206 times
Been liked: 429 times
Grassroots Team: Eastern Park

Postby Brodlach » Tue Dec 14, 2021 4:12 pm

JPod was 27 and he had a decent career
July 11th 2012....
Brodlach wrote:Rory Laird might end up the best IMO, he is an absolute jet. He has been in great form at the Bloods
Brodlach
Coach

Has liked: 72 times
Been liked: 4206 times
Grassroots Team: Colonel Light Gardens

Postby Spargo » Tue Dec 14, 2021 5:36 pm

Dylan Landt & Brodie Newman have left Glenelg, heading interstate.
2017 safooty NFL tipping champ

Don’t lose your grip on the dreams of the past
You must fight just to keep them alive...
Spargo
Coach

Has liked: 5457 times
Been liked: 5089 times
Grassroots Team: Sacred Heart OC

Postby Jim05 » Tue Dec 14, 2021 5:45 pm

Spargo wrote:Dylan Landt & Brodie Newman have left Glenelg, heading interstate.
Where is Dylan off to?
Jim05
Coach

Has liked: 1125 times
Been liked: 3534 times
Grassroots Team: South Gawler

Postby MJP1993 » Tue Dec 14, 2021 6:07 pm

Eagles Nest wrote:
Aerie wrote:I hope Jack Hayes gets his chance in the AFL. Can't believe he is not on a list. His work as a mobile ruck over the last couple of years adds to his credentials to be capable of being a roaming forward at AFL level who can work up the ground and deliver inside 50 or a key forward who can take a good mark either in a pack or on the lead. Still only 24. Obviously would be a huge loss to the Eagles if he gets listed!

I'd suggest Sheedy knew that this might happen and why we went so hard for Ballenden.

My thoughts as well Eagles Nest
MJP1993
Under 18s

Has liked: 394 times
Been liked: 46 times

Postby Hopeful Jelly » Tue Dec 14, 2021 8:56 pm

The Advertiser are reporting that James Tsitas has been invited to train with Gold Coast, although the AFL website and Eagles have only mentioned about Hayes so far.
Hopeful Jelly
Under 16s

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 11 times

Postby goddy11 » Tue Dec 14, 2021 9:11 pm

Hopeful Jelly wrote:The Advertiser are reporting that James Tsitas has been invited to train with Gold Coast, although the AFL website and Eagles have only mentioned about Hayes so far.

Its happening. You can read it here but may be paywalled

https://www.couriermail.com.au/sport/af ... 4f67d3c9a5

The Suns have one spot available on their list after losing hard nut Hugh Greenwood to North Melbourne and are also looking at former Magpie and Saints’ midfielder Nathan Freeman.

Tsitas, 26, was a key player in Woodville West Torrens back-to-back premiership win this year, averaging 29 possessions and five clearances.

The train-on invite is a great reward for Tsitas’ determination and resilience as the popular onballer has searched for an AFL opportunity since his draft class in 2013.

Previously, Tsitas, who is highly-rated for his character and work ethic, starred for the Geelong VFL team before making the switch to South Australia.

The ready-made onballer was twice named in the VFL team of the year and won the Cats’ VFL best and fairest award in 2017.
goddy11
League Bench Warmer

Postby Mr Fuller » Wed Dec 15, 2021 8:13 am

I had thought that the Eagles were in a very strong position only losing Stengle and Burgoyne in the draft.

I didn't think we needed to do much recruiting but now we could potentially lose our two best players - Tsitas and Hayes! Powell may have to dust off those '50 applications' and review who may still be available!

The fact that AFL clubs can still sign up players following the wrap up of two drafts in December is ridiculous. If St Kilda & Gold Coast were going to sign up Hayes and Tsitas you'd think they would be doing so based on what they have done in their most recent seasons in the SANFL not based on 7-8 weeks of running and footy drills over Summer. This really mucks the Eagles up because we are unlikely to seek to replace them until such time as the AFL clubs make a decision and by then it will be too late.
Mr Fuller
Reserves

Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 123 times

Postby goddy11 » Wed Dec 15, 2021 8:29 am

Mr Fuller wrote:I had thought that the Eagles were in a very strong position only losing Stengle and Burgoyne in the draft.

I didn't think we needed to do much recruiting but now we could potentially lose our two best players - Tsitas and Hayes! Powell may have to dust off those '50 applications' and review who may still be available!

The fact that AFL clubs can still sign up players following the wrap up of two drafts in December is ridiculous. If St Kilda & Gold Coast were going to sign up Hayes and Tsitas you'd think they would be doing so based on what they have done in their most recent seasons in the SANFL not based on 7-8 weeks of running and footy drills over Summer. This really mucks the Eagles up because we are unlikely to seek to replace them until such time as the AFL clubs make a decision and by then it will be too late.

With Hayes and Tsitas gone, that's a 1/4 of our GF side out. 3 good replacements coming in. Sheedy must know the strength of the kids coming up.
goddy11
League Bench Warmer

Postby Mr Fuller » Wed Dec 15, 2021 9:06 am

goddy11 wrote:
Mr Fuller wrote:I had thought that the Eagles were in a very strong position only losing Stengle and Burgoyne in the draft.

With Hayes and Tsitas gone, that's a 1/4 of our GF side out. 3 good replacements coming in. Sheedy must know the strength of the kids coming up.

The young kids on our list are extremely talented and am really keen to see how they go. If Hayes is drafted this will present an opportunity for some the talented key forwards in our U18s like Lukac and Cooke to press a claim for a spot.
Mr Fuller
Reserves

Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 123 times

Postby whybother » Wed Dec 15, 2021 9:35 am

What odds a triple now?
whybother
Under 16s

Has liked: 108 times
Been liked: 97 times

Postby whybother » Wed Dec 15, 2021 9:39 am

Exactly what does an "invite to train" mean anyway ? I thought all AFL recruiting was meant to be through the draft.
whybother
Under 16s

Has liked: 108 times
Been liked: 97 times

Postby Spargo » Wed Dec 15, 2021 10:01 am

Jim05 wrote:
Where is Dylan off to?

Playing in Darwin this weekend.
2017 safooty NFL tipping champ

Don’t lose your grip on the dreams of the past
You must fight just to keep them alive...
Spargo
Coach

Has liked: 5457 times
Been liked: 5089 times
Grassroots Team: Sacred Heart OC

Postby am Bays » Wed Dec 15, 2021 10:03 am

Spargo wrote:
Jim05 wrote:
Where is Dylan off to?

Playing in Darwin this weekend.

he may or may not get a good go from one of the umpires this weekend.... ;)
Last edited by am Bays on Wed Dec 15, 2021 10:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
Let that be a lesson to you Port, no one beats the Bays five times in a row in a GF and gets away with it!!!
am Bays
Coach

Has liked: 162 times
Been liked: 1804 times

Postby Jim05 » Wed Dec 15, 2021 10:06 am

whybother wrote:Exactly what does an "invite to train" mean anyway ? I thought all AFL recruiting was meant to be through the draft.
Clubs can pick players up in the SSP which is Pre season or the mid season draft if they have spots
Jim05
Coach

Has liked: 1125 times
Been liked: 3534 times
Grassroots Team: South Gawler

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  SANFL