Vale Bob Tregenza

Anything to do with the history of the SANFL

Vale Bob Tregenza

Postby DOC » Sun Dec 19, 2021 10:28 am

From Graham Cornes. Was surprised to read he played only 55 games.

BOB Tregenza was never the most talented Glenelg footballer but there is no Glenelg
player more respected by his team-mates than big ‘Trigger’.
His heroics in the 1973 grand final when he rucked all day after a first-quarter injury to
our lead ruckman, Bob Tardif, are enshrined in the legends and mythology of the Bay
Oval. Big, square-shouldered and raw-boned, he was never the classical footballer, but
if ability could be measured by the size of his heart and the extent of his endeavour, he
would be in any of football’s Halls of Fame. Sadly, despite the support of many past
players, that honour has not been accorded him at Glenelg. Fifty- Five games and three
goals were never considered enough. But that one game, which gave the club one of its
greatest moments, should be enough.
My enduring memory of Trigger has nothing to do with anything that happened on the
footy field, although the day he ran through ‘Rooster’ Wallace, who was as tough as
anyone who played the game, is still pretty vivid.
No, the image of him sitting outside in the gutter, dehydrated and completely
exhausted as celebrations of the ’73 triumph raged inside, will linger forever. He had
played his heart out and required medical treatment.
He faced his battle with cancer with the same courage and determination and kept it at
bay for several years – never once complaining.
Sometimes heart is not enough. Bob Tregenza passed away last Thursday. His absence
of self-indulgent ego would not allow him to contemplate it but I hope he knew. To his
old team-mates he is one of the greats.
DOC
Coach

Has liked: 723 times
Been liked: 2076 times

Re: Vale Bob Tregenza

Postby am Bays » Sun Dec 19, 2021 9:19 pm

Bob Tregenza maybe gone but he’ll never be forgotten at Brighton Rd

His performance that day will live kind in annals of the Glenelg Footy Club
Let that be a lesson to you Port, no one beats the Bays five times in a row in a GF and gets away with it!!!
am Bays
Coach

Has liked: 162 times
Been liked: 1804 times

Postby Spargo » Mon Dec 20, 2021 12:10 pm

I’ve heard countless recollections of his heroics in the ‘73 GF.
RIP Trigger.
2017 safooty NFL tipping champ

Don’t lose your grip on the dreams of the past
You must fight just to keep them alive...
Spargo
Coach

Has liked: 5456 times
Been liked: 5089 times
Grassroots Team: Sacred Heart OC

Postby Magellan » Mon Dec 20, 2021 4:39 pm

Rest in peace, condolences to those at the Bay.

A reminder of a time when a 'big, square-shouldered and raw-boned' player who wasn't built like a 'classical footballer' could still find a place in a footy team (and the Bay '73 side was a very, very impressive side).

Was Bob any relation to Simon Tregenza? My understanding is Simon played juniors at the Bay before heading over to Alberton.
"Religion is like a blind man looking in a black room for a black cat that isn't there...and finding it." - Oscar Wilde
Magellan
Coach

Has liked: 757 times
Been liked: 1517 times

Postby Wedgie » Mon Dec 20, 2021 5:00 pm

I'm only guessing but Bob was recruited from Fitzroy in Adelaide and Simon was born at Penola and then moved to Port Lincoln before coming to Adelaide (and playing juniors as you mentioned at Glenelg as he went to Sacred Heart) so it seems unlikely. Stranger things have happened though.

Vale Bob Tregenza, even amongst North fans/historians he holds a legendary status for the deeds he committed in 1973.
Wedgie
Site Admin

Has liked: 2020 times
Been liked: 3862 times
Grassroots Team: Noarlunga

Postby Magellan » Mon Dec 20, 2021 5:04 pm

Wedgie wrote:I'm only guessing but Bob was recruited from Fitzroy in Adelaide and Simon was born at Penola and then moved to Port Lincoln before coming to Adelaide (and playing juniors as you mentioned at Glenelg as he went to Sacred Heart) so it seems unlikely. Stranger things have happened though.

Vale Bob Tregenza, even amongst North fans/historians he holds a legendary status for the deeds he committed in 1973.

Cheers Wedgie, didn't know that about Bob's background. Tregenza's not necessarily a common name, and given the Bay connection I'd always wondered if the two were related.
"Religion is like a blind man looking in a black room for a black cat that isn't there...and finding it." - Oscar Wilde
Magellan
Coach

Has liked: 757 times
Been liked: 1517 times

Board index   Football  SANFL History Forum