Australian International Summer (The Ashes) 2021/22

First Class Cricket Talk (International and State)

Re: Australian International Summer (The Ashes) 2021/22

Postby whufc » Tue Dec 21, 2021 8:50 am

The Bedge wrote:
whufc wrote:in Sydney they might plan on playing two spinners.

You hear this every year since the Warne/MacGill days - without looking though, when was the last time Australia played two specialist spinners in Sydney?

Genuine question, I cant recall the last time Aussies had a spin duo working in tandem.


Yeah got not idea but like you said it get sprouted a lot but rarely happens. Only reason that might tempt them to have a look is our next three test series are on the sub continent.
RIP PH408 63notoutforever
User avatar
whufc
Coach
 
 
Posts: 23742
Joined: Tue Aug 01, 2006 10:56 am
Location: Blakeview
Has liked: 4305 times
Been liked: 1909 times
Grassroots Team: BSR

Re: Australian International Summer (The Ashes) 2021/22

Postby The Bedge » Tue Dec 21, 2021 8:52 am

Lightning McQueen wrote:I miss that aspect with today's drop-in pitches, years ago we'd have the GABBA to look forward to as it was the first test and would seam, the WACA would provide bounce and carnage, AO would see high scores then it would break up on day 4-5 to create a dour contest and the SCG for a spin off.

Everything is the same today, pitches lack character - even the AO pitch this test was pretty lame.
Dolphin Treasure wrote:Your an attention seeking embarsement..
User avatar
The Bedge
Coach
 
 
Posts: 14318
Joined: Mon Apr 20, 2015 12:28 pm
Has liked: 3012 times
Been liked: 3436 times

Re: Australian International Summer (The Ashes) 2021/22

Postby Lightning McQueen » Tue Dec 21, 2021 8:53 am

The Bedge wrote:
Lightning McQueen wrote:I miss that aspect with today's drop-in pitches, years ago we'd have the GABBA to look forward to as it was the first test and would seam, the WACA would provide bounce and carnage, AO would see high scores then it would break up on day 4-5 to create a dour contest and the SCG for a spin off.

Everything is the same today, pitches lack character - even the AO pitch this test was pretty lame.

Exactly, the Shane Warne 2004 was the best PS game as it used these characteristics.
HOGG SHIELD DIVISION V WINNER 2018.
User avatar
Lightning McQueen
Coach
 
Posts: 46507
Joined: Mon Mar 03, 2008 9:43 am
Location: Radiator Springs
Has liked: 3747 times
Been liked: 6567 times

Re: Australian International Summer (The Ashes) 2021/22

Postby shoe boy » Tue Dec 21, 2021 8:54 am

Lets be honest this English side is one of the worst ever seen.

With 68 million to choose from including ring ins this is the best they can put on the park wow
User avatar
shoe boy
Assistant Coach
 
 
Posts: 4331
Joined: Tue Jul 01, 2008 12:58 pm
Has liked: 397 times
Been liked: 193 times

Re: Australian International Summer (The Ashes) 2021/22

Postby MW » Tue Dec 21, 2021 8:55 am

whufc wrote:
The Bedge wrote:
whufc wrote:in Sydney they might plan on playing two spinners.

You hear this every year since the Warne/MacGill days - without looking though, when was the last time Australia played two specialist spinners in Sydney?

Genuine question, I cant recall the last time Aussies had a spin duo working in tandem.


Yeah got not idea but like you said it get sprouted a lot but rarely happens. Only reason that might tempt them to have a look is our next three test series are on the sub continent.


Head can bowl some semi-nude offies if they need too
MW
Coach
 
 
Posts: 11273
Joined: Wed Nov 30, 2005 8:55 pm
Has liked: 1995 times
Been liked: 1483 times

Re: Australian International Summer (The Ashes) 2021/22

Postby whufc » Tue Dec 21, 2021 9:48 am

MW wrote:
whufc wrote:
The Bedge wrote:
whufc wrote:in Sydney they might plan on playing two spinners.

You hear this every year since the Warne/MacGill days - without looking though, when was the last time Australia played two specialist spinners in Sydney?

Genuine question, I cant recall the last time Aussies had a spin duo working in tandem.


Yeah got not idea but like you said it get sprouted a lot but rarely happens. Only reason that might tempt them to have a look is our next three test series are on the sub continent.


Head can bowl some semi-nude offies if they need too


Not sure his in their plans given Labuschagne and Smith himself bowled before Head in Adelaide
RIP PH408 63notoutforever
User avatar
whufc
Coach
 
 
Posts: 23742
Joined: Tue Aug 01, 2006 10:56 am
Location: Blakeview
Has liked: 4305 times
Been liked: 1909 times
Grassroots Team: BSR

Re: Australian International Summer (The Ashes) 2021/22

Postby Lightning McQueen » Tue Dec 21, 2021 9:58 am

whufc wrote:
MW wrote:
Head can bowl some semi-nude offies if they need too


Not sure his in their plans given Labuschagne and Smith himself bowled before Head in Adelaide

Did they really bowl though? Marnus bowled to soak up some overs before the new ball, he is more of an opportunist on a turning deck, Smith bowled so Lyon could change ends.

I'm sure if they felt a strong enough need for someone to bowl a spell to aid an injury to a frontline bowler then Head would get the nod over the other two.

I was surprised by how much respect our pace attack has for Lyon, he is the glue that holds them together apparently, it all makes sense now.

They do have a luxury with him out there toiling away not going for a lot, having Green out there enables them a heap more flexibility.
HOGG SHIELD DIVISION V WINNER 2018.
User avatar
Lightning McQueen
Coach
 
Posts: 46507
Joined: Mon Mar 03, 2008 9:43 am
Location: Radiator Springs
Has liked: 3747 times
Been liked: 6567 times

Re: Australian International Summer (The Ashes) 2021/22

Postby The Dark Knight » Tue Dec 21, 2021 9:59 am

batmanbegins wrote:
Corona Man wrote:
The Bedge wrote:With the Aussies 2-0, I'd like to see Neser given one more game, and rest Starc ahead of the remaining two tests.

Cummins in, Starc out.

I think Harris plays the whole series - if they were going to consider Khawaja for an opening spot, he would've started the series given he was one of the inform bats in the country.

Unfortunately for Hunt and Street there is no red ball cricket at the moment to help push claims, and they're quite young still so cant see them being thrown in the deep end. Would've been good to see England A stick around and play more tour matches against Australia A during the Ashes.

For England you'd think Wood comes in, and I would look at maybe Lawrence as the spinner to spin away from the lefties. Whilst most senior, you'd have to consider Anderson being left out, he just didn't look like his former self in this test.

How Bairstow is watching from the sidelines is beyond me.. and Crawley probably should be added. I'm dropping Pope and Hameed for Bairstow and Crawley


Hard to argue any of those calls Bedge. Good work.


Lawrence is a batter that's a decent back up spinner, similar to root. Bess will come in as the main offie would be my guess. I agree with the batting switches, although if you have seen Bairstow the last few years in tests you would know why he ain't playing, has a huge gaping hole through bat and pad and continuously gets bowled. I'd rather Bess comes in for Woakes then Jimmy, Woakes the bowler is just not good enough in Australia. Wood will come in for Jimmy or Broady, really don't mind either way but Wood just needs to play.

Will be interesting to see if Buttler retains his spot in the team? I guess after his innings yesterday he probably will now but Bairstow is a chance to come in to take the gloves.
I can understand why England have gone with Pope ahead of Bairstow but now Pope is the most likely guy to be dropped, perhaps for Lawrence.
Zac Crawley has made 156 runs in 14 innings this year averaging 11.14, will be tough for him coming into the team to open the batting on the back of no match practice.
Wood should come back in and will be interesting to see if Bess comes in or they give Leach another go.
There's just so much not working for England it must be hard to pick an 11 that has any stability at the moment.

For the Aussies, Cummins in for Neser and I expect Hazlewood to play so maybe Starc will be rested like others have mentioned above.
User avatar
The Dark Knight
Coach
 
Posts: 30897
Joined: Sat Mar 06, 2010 12:32 pm
Location: Gotham City
Has liked: 7658 times
Been liked: 1148 times
Grassroots Team: North Haven

Re: Australian International Summer (The Ashes) 2021/22

Postby The Bedge » Tue Dec 21, 2021 10:01 am

The Dark Knight wrote:Zac Crawley has made 156 runs in 14 innings this year averaging 11.14, will be tough for him coming into the team to open the batting on the back of no match practice.

Why the **** bring him over on those stats, especially if there is no trust to bring him in?
Dolphin Treasure wrote:Your an attention seeking embarsement..
User avatar
The Bedge
Coach
 
 
Posts: 14318
Joined: Mon Apr 20, 2015 12:28 pm
Has liked: 3012 times
Been liked: 3436 times

Re: Australian International Summer (The Ashes) 2021/22

Postby The Dark Knight » Tue Dec 21, 2021 10:03 am

The Bedge wrote:
The Dark Knight wrote:Zac Crawley has made 156 runs in 14 innings this year averaging 11.14, will be tough for him coming into the team to open the batting on the back of no match practice.

Why the **** bring him over on those stats, especially if there is no trust to bring him in?
Picking him on potential and because he looks good apparently.
User avatar
The Dark Knight
Coach
 
Posts: 30897
Joined: Sat Mar 06, 2010 12:32 pm
Location: Gotham City
Has liked: 7658 times
Been liked: 1148 times
Grassroots Team: North Haven

Re: Australian International Summer (The Ashes) 2021/22

Postby Lightning McQueen » Tue Dec 21, 2021 10:10 am

The Dark Knight wrote:
The Bedge wrote:
The Dark Knight wrote:Zac Crawley has made 156 runs in 14 innings this year averaging 11.14, will be tough for him coming into the team to open the batting on the back of no match practice.

Why the **** bring him over on those stats, especially if there is no trust to bring him in?
Picking him on potential and because he looks good apparently.

Bring Flintoff back then, he's a good looking rooster.
HOGG SHIELD DIVISION V WINNER 2018.
User avatar
Lightning McQueen
Coach
 
Posts: 46507
Joined: Mon Mar 03, 2008 9:43 am
Location: Radiator Springs
Has liked: 3747 times
Been liked: 6567 times

Re: Australian International Summer (The Ashes) 2021/22

Postby mal » Tue Dec 21, 2021 11:25 am

I think Ollie Pope will end up a decent Test batsman , subject to WHUFC agreeing with me
mal
Coach
 
Posts: 23521
Joined: Tue Apr 04, 2006 11:45 pm
Has liked: 613 times
Been liked: 454 times

Re: Australian International Summer (The Ashes) 2021/22

Postby Corona Man » Tue Dec 21, 2021 11:28 am

mal wrote:I think Ollie Pope will end up a decent Test batsman , subject to WHUFC agreeing with me


Had a discussion yesterday with a few mates on this topic.

Who is the best batsmen on this list.

1. Ollie Pope
2. Lloyd Pope
3. The actual Pope.


The consensus was...… The actual Pope
1961, 1971, 1976, 1978, 1983, 1986, 1988, 1989, 1991, 2008, 2013, 2014, 2015.... And don't you forget it!
User avatar
Corona Man
Coach
 
 
Posts: 11185
Joined: Thu Oct 02, 2014 2:28 pm
Location: Near the Beer Fridge
Has liked: 1135 times
Been liked: 2992 times
Grassroots Team: Echunga

Re: Australian International Summer (The Ashes) 2021/22

Postby am Bays » Tue Dec 21, 2021 11:38 am

Corona Man wrote:
mal wrote:I think Ollie Pope will end up a decent Test batsman , subject to WHUFC agreeing with me


Had a discussion yesterday with a few mates on this topic.

Who is the best batsmen on this list.

1. Ollie Pope
2. Lloyd Pope
3. The actual Pope.


The consensus was...… The actual Pope


Nylex Pope??
Let that be a lesson to you Port, no one beats the Bays five times in a row in a GF and gets away with it!!!
User avatar
am Bays
Coach
 
 
Posts: 16510
Joined: Sat Dec 17, 2005 11:04 pm
Location: The back bar at Lennies
Has liked: 119 times
Been liked: 1308 times

Re: Australian International Summer (The Ashes) 2021/22

Postby whufc » Tue Dec 21, 2021 11:41 am

mal wrote:I think Ollie Pope will end up a decent Test batsman , subject to WHUFC agreeing with me


:lol: :lol: :lol:

Jury still out on him imo.

Averages 51 at county level which I believe was the highest 'active' county average for any player playing over there including the aussie such as Labuschagne, Head and Harris. That would suggest there is a decent batsmen in there.

In saying that averages 29 at test level and that is inflated with a quarter of his test runs coming against SAF at an average of 88. Averages 12 against Australia and 22 against India

Given his only 23 and there is plenty of upside he has to stay in the side for mine. England haven't got a lot coming through proven by the fact Zak Crawley averaging 11 is on tour with them. With that in mind they need to give Pope every chance to succeed.
RIP PH408 63notoutforever
User avatar
whufc
Coach
 
 
Posts: 23742
Joined: Tue Aug 01, 2006 10:56 am
Location: Blakeview
Has liked: 4305 times
Been liked: 1909 times
Grassroots Team: BSR

Re: Australian International Summer (The Ashes) 2021/22

Postby Lightning McQueen » Tue Dec 21, 2021 11:45 am

mal wrote:I think Ollie Pope will end up a decent Test batsman , subject to WHUFC agreeing with me


Providing they play minnows for the next decade.

Twice he has gone in after a lengthy partnership and with the old ball and he failed both times, they were both perfect opportunities to get himself in.
HOGG SHIELD DIVISION V WINNER 2018.
User avatar
Lightning McQueen
Coach
 
Posts: 46507
Joined: Mon Mar 03, 2008 9:43 am
Location: Radiator Springs
Has liked: 3747 times
Been liked: 6567 times

Re: Australian International Summer (The Ashes) 2021/22

Postby Booney » Tue Dec 21, 2021 12:36 pm

2 people who attended the AO Test are COVID positive, SA Health have yet to confirm what days they were there and where they sat.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
User avatar
Booney
Coach
 
 
Posts: 52946
Joined: Thu Oct 27, 2005 1:47 pm
Location: Alberton proud
Has liked: 6190 times
Been liked: 9149 times

Re: Australian International Summer (The Ashes) 2021/22

Postby Trader » Tue Dec 21, 2021 1:57 pm

Booney wrote:2 people who attended the AO Test are COVID positive, SA Health have yet to confirm what days they were there and where they sat.


Only 2? lol
Danny Southern telling Plugga he's fat, I'd like to see that!
User avatar
Trader
Veteran
 
Posts: 3750
Joined: Mon May 24, 2010 1:19 pm
Has liked: 44 times
Been liked: 655 times

Re: Australian International Summer (The Ashes) 2021/22

Postby Corona Man » Tue Dec 21, 2021 2:03 pm

Booney wrote:2 people who attended the AO Test are COVID positive, SA Health have yet to confirm what days they were there and where they sat.

Any chance they were in the pommie change rooms?
1961, 1971, 1976, 1978, 1983, 1986, 1988, 1989, 1991, 2008, 2013, 2014, 2015.... And don't you forget it!
User avatar
Corona Man
Coach
 
 
Posts: 11185
Joined: Thu Oct 02, 2014 2:28 pm
Location: Near the Beer Fridge
Has liked: 1135 times
Been liked: 2992 times
Grassroots Team: Echunga

Re: Australian International Summer (The Ashes) 2021/22

Postby Lightning McQueen » Tue Dec 21, 2021 2:37 pm

Corona Man wrote:
Booney wrote:2 people who attended the AO Test are COVID positive, SA Health have yet to confirm what days they were there and where they sat.

Any chance they were in the pommie change rooms?

I know two were in the BBC media room, I wonder if there has been an additional two.
HOGG SHIELD DIVISION V WINNER 2018.
User avatar
Lightning McQueen
Coach
 
Posts: 46507
Joined: Mon Mar 03, 2008 9:43 am
Location: Radiator Springs
Has liked: 3747 times
Been liked: 6567 times

PreviousNext

Board index   Other Sports  Cricket

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bombers4EVA and 0 guests