Australian International Summer (The Ashes) 2021/22

First Class Cricket Talk (International and State)

Re: Australian International Summer (The Ashes) 2021/22

Postby Corona Man » Thu Dec 23, 2021 5:14 pm

The Bedge wrote:Go home Mal, you’re drunk.

England are shit.

Go drunk Mal, you’re home.
1961, 1971, 1976, 1978, 1983, 1986, 1988, 1989, 1991, 2008, 2013, 2014, 2015.... And don't you forget it!
Corona Man
Coach

Has liked: 1270 times
Been liked: 3454 times
Grassroots Team: Echunga

Postby Jim05 » Fri Dec 24, 2021 10:42 am

Hazlewood out.
Only change is Neser for Cummins
Jim05
Coach

Has liked: 1125 times
Been liked: 3533 times
Grassroots Team: South Gawler

Postby whufc » Fri Dec 24, 2021 11:18 am

am Bays wrote:
whufc wrote:
You honestly don’t believe Chappell is the best commentator

Deadset spends every broadcast whinging about modern cricket and how he was around in the good old days.

Adds no value whatsoever.

Spent most last test saying how bill Lawry once told him bowing around the wicket to left handers never worked. Spent the whole shift critiquing the English about it. when the statistician told him how many wickets broad had around the wicket to lefties his reply was that’s not what bill lawry reckons though.

Yup which says a lot about the others IMO

I will admit to getting tired about him going on about administrators.

And yeah I heard that Bill Lawry comment I thought he said with a bit levity as if to say oh well Bill may not be right.

Why I think Chappell is the best along with Maxwell and to lesser extent Gilchrist, Lane and Ponting is they make their commentary about the cricket and keep their tone even. They do start yelling and trying to create false ion and drama.

All IMO of course.

yeah agree about many bringing that false sense of intensity for sure. That's why I think Maxwell is still my favourite.

I'm a big fan of Dirk Nannes. I also liked Mark Nicholson and Bumble because they used emotive words rather than just a volume of noise to express the action.
RIP PH408 63notoutforever
whufc
Coach

Has liked: 5551 times
Been liked: 2513 times
Grassroots Team: BSR

Postby whufc » Fri Dec 24, 2021 11:20 am

Is there any point in replacing Khawaja for Harris.

We are not going to lose the series, Khawaja is 36 and is barely going around another year. Might as well stick with Harris and give him every single oppurtunity before he is inevitably dropped.
whufc
Coach

Postby Spargo » Fri Dec 24, 2021 11:24 am

whufc wrote:Is there any point in replacing Khawaja for Harris.

We are not going to lose the series, Khawaja is 36 and is barely going around another year. Might as well stick with Harris and give him every single oppurtunity before he is inevitably dropped.

Langer said yesterday they’re sticking with Harris.
2017 safooty NFL tipping champ

Don’t lose your grip on the dreams of the past
You must fight just to keep them alive...
Spargo
Coach

Has liked: 5440 times
Been liked: 5079 times
Grassroots Team: Sacred Heart OC

Postby The Dark Knight » Fri Dec 24, 2021 11:36 am

whufc wrote:
am Bays wrote:
whufc wrote:

Deadset spends every broadcast whinging about modern cricket and how he was around in the good old days.

Spent most last test saying how bill Lawry once told him bowing around the wicket to left handers never worked. Spent the whole shift critiquing the English about it. when the statistician told him how many wickets broad had around the wicket to lefties his reply was that’s not what bill lawry reckons though.

And yeah I heard that Bill Lawry comment I thought he said with a bit levity as if to say oh well Bill may not be right.

Why I think Chappell is the best along with Maxwell and to lesser extent Gilchrist, Lane and Ponting is they make their commentary about the cricket and keep their tone even. They do start yelling and trying to create false ion and drama.

All IMO of course.

yeah agree about many bringing that false sense of intensity for sure. That's why I think Maxwell is still my favourite.

I'm a big fan of Dirk Nannes. I also liked Mark Nicholson and Bumble because they used emotive words rather than just a volume of noise to express the action.

I've enjoyed listening to Dirk Nannes aswell and in the past I've like Simon Katich on ABC, obviously now he's on 7 and I like him and Ponting together and Greg Blewett is good too IMO. All those guys have played recent enough to understand the modern game, they call it as they see it, never come with ridiculous calls that will ever happen, never go over the top when calling and never go on and on about something relatively minor.

Chappell has become an absolute f**king pain to listen to, constantly negative and raves on about the same minor thing for an extended period of time.

He's a real 'back in my day' type operator and your post about his Bill Lawry story is a perfect example.
The Dark Knight
Coach

Has liked: 10268 times
Been liked: 1496 times
Grassroots Team: North Haven

Postby Down the Hill » Fri Dec 24, 2021 2:43 pm

Ian Chappell is 78 years of age. People receive a pension and don't work at that age because their physical and mental state is in decline. Not to mention someone who has spent the majority of his life on planes and sleeping in hotel beds. Surely that adds a few more years.

He went on for too long with Channel 9 so shouldn't be anywhere near a microphone with the ABC. Just a grumpy old man these days and sad that his status and brand as a great Australian Captain and batter is being damaged.

Jim Maxwell is 71 and whilst he still has a great voice and manner with his commentary he is also seriously losing the plot with some of his comments and memory lapses.
Down the Hill
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 275 times
Grassroots Team: Brighton District & OS

Postby DOC » Fri Dec 24, 2021 3:49 pm

Whilst I liked Chappeli as a player, he is an obnoxious bore.

Never a more fitting initial than I. It's all you ever hear. I.I,I.

And Greg could bore for Australia.

I couldn't agree more with DTH's assessment above.
DOC
Coach

Has liked: 720 times
Been liked: 2071 times

Postby Jim05 » Sat Dec 25, 2021 9:24 am

Richardson sore and is out.
Boland to debut
Jim05
Coach

Has liked: 1125 times
Been liked: 3533 times
Grassroots Team: South Gawler

Postby amber_fluid » Sat Dec 25, 2021 10:15 am

Jim05 wrote:Richardson sore and is out.
Boland to debut

After one game?
There are no stupid questions, just stupid people.
amber_fluid
Coach

Has liked: 2214 times
Been liked: 2505 times

Postby The Dark Knight » Sat Dec 25, 2021 10:16 am

Boland to debut
Cummins back in for Neser too.
Neser unlucky to be dropped for Boland after just one test match (even if he was essentially a COVID replacement). Interesting selection picking Boland, has an excellent Shield record and this test is obviously home ground advantage for him (91 wickets @25.71 in 26 matches at the MCG), a real horses for courses selection.
The Dark Knight
Coach

Postby The Dark Knight » Sat Dec 25, 2021 10:19 am

amber_fluid wrote:
Boland to debut

After one game?
Cummins said he was sore and that he has a small leg injury, nothing major though. They want to give him a full week off to get ready for the 4th test.
The Dark Knight
Coach

Postby Armchair expert » Sat Dec 25, 2021 10:34 am

Boland is terrible

Neser should be rightly pissed
Dave Warner will be missed!
Armchair expert
Coach

Has liked: 379 times
Been liked: 1407 times
Grassroots Team: Ports

Postby locky801 » Sat Dec 25, 2021 10:39 am

i remember when bowlers played through the pain barrier, imagine Dennis Lillee dropping out of a Ashes test because he is "sore"

Not Richardsons fault, just the system these days :roll:
if we dont believe in tomorrow where do we go
locky801
Coach

Has liked: 3615 times
Been liked: 1155 times

Postby Brodlach » Sat Dec 25, 2021 10:43 am

Four changes to the Poms

England XI: Haseeb Hameed, Zac Crawley, Dawid Malan, Joe Root (c), Ben Stokes, Jonathan Bairstow, Jos Buttler (wk), Mark Wood, Ollie Robinson, Jack Leach, Jimmy Anderson

Out Broad, Pope, Burns and Woakes

In Bairstow, Crawley, Wood and Leach
July 11th 2012....
Brodlach wrote:Rory Laird might end up the best IMO, he is an absolute jet. He has been in great form at the Bloods
Brodlach
Coach

Has liked: 72 times
Been liked: 4189 times
Grassroots Team: Colonel Light Gardens

Postby RB » Sat Dec 25, 2021 10:52 am

Armchair expert wrote:Boland is terrible

Neser should be rightly pissed
Amazingly, Boland's a downgrade even on Neser.

If only the Chadd had been 5-10 years younger.
R.I.P. the SANFL 1877 - 2013
RB
Coach

Has liked: 758 times
Been liked: 1068 times

Postby gadj1976 » Sat Dec 25, 2021 10:55 am

Brodlach wrote:Four changes to the Poms

England XI: Haseeb Hameed, Zac Crawley, Dawid Malan, Joe Root (c), Ben Stokes, Jonathan Bairstow, Jos Buttler (wk), Mark Wood, Ollie Robinson, Jack Leach, Jimmy Anderson

Out Broad, Pope, Burns and Woakes

In Bairstow, Crawley, Wood and Leach

In Bairstow (no good), Crawley (no good), Wood (good, should've played last test but obviously couldn't bowl part time offies so got left out) and Leach (no good)\

For us, Boland...no good but will be good enough to take 7fa in this game if given the chance. That's how badly I rate their batting line up.
gadj1976
Coach

Has liked: 792 times
Been liked: 841 times

Postby whufc » Sat Dec 25, 2021 5:39 pm

Is Boland that bad.

257 wickets at 25 is a pretty decent record
whufc
Coach

Postby FlyingHigh » Sat Dec 25, 2021 8:34 pm

The Dark Knight wrote:
whufc wrote:
am Bays wrote:
whufc wrote:

All IMO of course.

I've enjoyed listening to Dirk Nannes aswell and in the past I've like Simon Katich on ABC, obviously now he's on 7 and I like him and Ponting together and Greg Blewett is good too IMO. All those guys have played recent enough to understand the modern game, they call it as they see it, never come with ridiculous calls that will ever happen, never go over the top when calling and never go on and on about something relatively minor.

Chappell has become an absolute f**king pain to listen to, constantly negative and raves on about the same minor thing for an extended period of time.

He's a real 'back in my day' type operator and your post about his Bill Lawry story is a perfect example.

Agree with most of this.

Unfortunately have to agree about Chappelli from what I've heard from him this year. Used to be must-listen-to thoughts on cricket, even though his delivery wasn't the greatest.

Greg Blewett is under-rated IMO. Keeps his words and manner simple and clear, whilst still insightful enough.
Nannes is good, Andrew Moore is pretty good, sounds like a Jim Maxwell clone to me but pulls it off.
Still rate Alison Mitchell really highly.
James Brayshaw still makes me want to punch the telly. In Adelaide was going on about how we might see Green's real talent like Sydney this year when we went for the tonk and got some cheap runs. No Green's real talent is he can bat sensibly/normally for long periods and make big scores like in the Shield, and has shown potential to do at Test level.
FlyingHigh
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 81 times
Been liked: 173 times

Postby The Dark Knight » Sat Dec 25, 2021 9:43 pm

FlyingHigh wrote:
The Dark Knight wrote:
whufc wrote:
am Bays wrote:[quote="whufc"]

All IMO of course.

Agree with most of this.

Unfortunately have to agree about Chappelli from what I've heard from him this year. Used to be must-listen-to thoughts on cricket, even though his delivery wasn't the greatest.

Greg Blewett is under-rated IMO. Keeps his words and manner simple and clear, whilst still insightful enough.
Nannes is good, Andrew Moore is pretty good, sounds like a Jim Maxwell clone to me but pulls it off.
Still rate Alison Mitchell really highly.
James Brayshaw still makes me want to punch the telly. In Adelaide was going on about how we might see Green's real talent like Sydney this year when we went for the tonk and got some cheap runs. No Green's real talent is he can bat sensibly/normally for long periods and make big scores like in the Shield, and has shown potential to do at Test level.[/quote]
Whether it be footy or cricket James Brayshaw is a commentator that continually makes ridiculous calls that will never happen and loves going over the top in the name of entertainment. Your point about him talking about Green is a perfect example.
The Dark Knight
Coach

PreviousNext

Board index   Other Sports  Cricket