Australian International Summer (The Ashes) 2021/22

First Class Cricket Talk (International and State)

Re: Australian International Summer (The Ashes) 2021/22

Postby The Dark Knight » Tue Dec 28, 2021 8:29 pm

https://www.espncricinfo.com/story/ashe ... or-1294591

9 - Number of Test defeats for England in 2021, the joint-highest by a team in a calendar year. Bangladesh lost each of their nine Test matches in 2003.

13 - Consecutive Tests for England without a win in Australia. The streak began after the innings win at the Sydney Cricket Ground in 2011. It is the longest winless streak for England in Australia, surpassing the 12-game run between 1937 and 1951.

82 - Australia's first-innings lead in this match, the third-lowest for any men's team while winning a Test by an innings. New Zealand failed to overcome a 46-run deficit in 1955 against England and lost by an innings and 20 runs, while West Indies beat England by an innings and 23 runs in 2009 despite only a 74-run first-innings lead.

68 - England's total in the second innings, the lowest Ashes total in Australia since World War II. England's 68 is also their lowest total in Australia since their 61 all out in 1904, also in Melbourne.

27.4 - Overs batted by England during their 68 all out, their fifth shortest innings in the Ashes and their shortest innings since 1905. It is also the second-shortest innings when the team was all out in the Ashes since World War II, behind Australia's first-innings in Nottingham in 2015, which lasted only 18.3 overs.

267 - Australia's first-innings total in Melbourne. Only five teams have won by an innings margin in men's Tests with a lower total since 1900. It is also the second-lowest total to result in an innings win in the Ashes, behind the 172 all out by England in 1888 in Manchester.

19 - Balls taken by Scott Boland to complete his five-wicket haul. It is the joint-fastest in terms of balls taken in men's Tests. Ernie Toshack against India in 1947 and Stuart Broad against Australia in 2015 also bowled only 19 balls to claim the fifth wickets in their respective innings. Boland took his sixth wicket in the 21st ball he bowled, the quickest to a six-wicket haul, bettering Hugh Trumble, who had six wickets in 24 balls against England in 1904, also in Melbourne.

2 - Players with better bowling figures than Boland (six wickets for seven runs) while making their debut in men's Tests in Australia. Albert Trott took 8 for 43 at the Adelaide Oval in 1895, while Tom Kendall had figures of 7 for 55 in Melbourne in 1877, both against England. Boland's bowling figures are also the sixth-best on men's Test debut for Australia.

6 for 7 - Boland's bowling figures in the second innings. Only one bowler in men's Tests has conceded fewer runs while taking six or more wickets in an innings - three by Jermaine Lawson against Bangladesh in 2002. Boland's effort goes down as the cheapest five-plus wicket haul on Test debut as well.

32 years and 259 days - Boland's age at the start of this match, making him the oldest pacer with a five-wicket haul on men's Test debut since 1950. Only two bowlers - both spinners - were older than Boland when they took a five-wicket haul on Test debut since 1950 - Nauman Ali (34y 111d) against South Africa in 2021 and Bilal Asif (33y 13d) against Australia in 2018.

1084 - Number of balls bowled in the Melbourne Test, the sixth-lowest completed Test match hosted by Australia and the shortest since the Brisbane Test against England in 1950, which lasted 1034 balls. Only seven Ashes Tests were completed in fewer balls than in Melbourne, which is also the second-shortest Ashes Test in the last 70 years, behind the 1059 balls in the Nottingham Test in 2015.
The Dark Knight
Coach

Has liked: 10298 times
Been liked: 1516 times
Grassroots Team: North Haven

Postby DOC » Tue Dec 28, 2021 8:32 pm

That makes for some very grim reading.

For me it all started in Brisbane with not playing Broad and Anderson.
DOC
Coach

Has liked: 723 times
Been liked: 2076 times

Postby whufc » Tue Dec 28, 2021 8:37 pm

DOC wrote:That makes for some very grim reading.

And then compounded by not playing Wood and a spinner in Adelaide
RIP PH408 63notoutforever
whufc
Coach

Has liked: 5565 times
Been liked: 2519 times
Grassroots Team: BSR

Postby gadj1976 » Tue Dec 28, 2021 9:33 pm

gadj1976 wrote:
Brodlach wrote:Four changes to the Poms

England XI: Haseeb Hameed, Zac Crawley, Dawid Malan, Joe Root (c), Ben Stokes, Jonathan Bairstow, Jos Buttler (wk), Mark Wood, Ollie Robinson, Jack Leach, Jimmy Anderson

Out Broad, Pope, Burns and Woakes

In Bairstow, Crawley, Wood and Leach

In Bairstow (no good), Crawley (no good), Wood (good, should've played last test but obviously couldn't bowl part time offies so got left out) and Leach (no good)\

For us, Boland...no good but will be good enough to take 7fa in this game if given the chance. That's how badly I rate their batting line up.

I'm the prophet!
gadj1976
Coach

Has liked: 795 times
Been liked: 849 times

Postby Brodlach » Wed Dec 29, 2021 7:04 am

The Test finished well before the Sydney to Hobart yacht race :shock:
July 11th 2012....
Brodlach wrote:Rory Laird might end up the best IMO, he is an absolute jet. He has been in great form at the Bloods
Brodlach
Coach

Has liked: 72 times
Been liked: 4206 times
Grassroots Team: Colonel Light Gardens

Postby Lightning McQueen » Wed Dec 29, 2021 7:48 am

whufc wrote:
northerner wrote:
whufc wrote:another miss by Carey

Hasn’t taken a 50/50 chance yet

Yep... its as bad as a dropped catch.

Yeah we can all give Buttler shit and rightfully so too, his drop of Smith was absolute ridiculous stuff. BUT about 3 of his drop catches were real tough ones that he went for were equal if not tougher to two Carey didn’t even make an attempt.

I think you're both being very harsh, Carey was wrong footed with a 150KM bullet zipping in then catching the edge to force him to re-adjust his weight and inertia to dive across in about one tenth of a second, the ball landed a bit before Warner, diving forward in the slips to take a catch against genuine pace is as hard as it gets.

Comparing Buttler's drop catches is ludicrous, the dude needed a butterfly net.
HOGG SHIELD DIVISION V WINNER 2018.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Has liked: 4339 times
Been liked: 7902 times

Postby Lightning McQueen » Wed Dec 29, 2021 7:50 am

Brodlach wrote:Other than the romance, I’m not sure Boland should be MOTM

6/7??? That's dismissing 6 batsmen for an average of 1.6 (60 percent of the side), he couldn't NOT get the Norm Smith.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Postby Lightning McQueen » Wed Dec 29, 2021 7:51 am

Brodlach wrote:The Test finished well before the Sydney to Hobart yacht race :shock:

:lol: :lol:
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Postby Lightning McQueen » Wed Dec 29, 2021 7:54 am

daysofourlives wrote:Harris for me.

Does Boland get dropped for Sydney?
Hazelwood, Cummins, Green, two spinners? If only one spinner i think Richardson needs to play if Starc is rested.
If they stay in Melbourne then yes Boland stays in

Won't go with two spinners, the SCG isn't the same SCG we grew up loving.

I'd say they'll give Hazelwood another rest and have him cherry ripe for Tassie.

Starc is up and about, would be crazy to rest him now, you've gotta strike while the iron's hot with this fella.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Postby Brodlach » Wed Dec 29, 2021 8:01 am

Lightning McQueen wrote:

6/7??? That's dismissing 6 batsmen for an average of 1.6 (60 percent of the side), he couldn't NOT get the Norm Smith.

Thanks for the maths lesson :lol:

Harris’ first innings runs were gold IMO, scored twice as many as any other Australian batsman. I’ve always thought first innings runs and wickets are more important than second innings
July 11th 2012....
Brodlach wrote:Rory Laird might end up the best IMO, he is an absolute jet. He has been in great form at the Bloods
Brodlach
Coach

Has liked: 72 times
Been liked: 4206 times
Grassroots Team: Colonel Light Gardens

Postby Lightning McQueen » Wed Dec 29, 2021 8:03 am

jackpot jim wrote:Who gives a Flying F**K about meaningless MOM awards ?

Should be more worried about the pathetic MCG Curators over the decades>
The MCG is the most over rated cricket venue in the World
Back in the 80s the square was barren of grass and the ball didn't bounce
Then it turned into a road
Now we have 2 day tests because it's too much in the bowlers favour.

These curators have unlimited resources at their disposal and still cant come up with a half decent pitch that gives a fair contest at the so called "Home of cricket" :roll:

Pretty sure Scotty Boland would ATM, IIRC Pat Cummins got MOTM on debut in South Africa and then copped an injury that kept him out for a while.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Postby Lightning McQueen » Wed Dec 29, 2021 8:03 am

Brodlach wrote:
Lightning McQueen wrote:

Harris’ first innings runs were gold IMO, scored twice as many as any other Australian batsman. I’ve always thought first innings runs and wickets are more important than second innings

Not when there's a result IMO.

PS: I used to be a pace bowler so I may be a little bias ;)
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Postby RB » Wed Dec 29, 2021 11:54 am

Brodlach wrote:
Lightning McQueen wrote:

Regardless, four of those six 2nd innings wickets were in junk time when the game was over. A little bit too much being made of the six-fer IMO.
R.I.P. the SANFL 1877 - 2013
RB
Coach

Has liked: 759 times
Been liked: 1073 times

Postby amber_fluid » Wed Dec 29, 2021 12:48 pm

Starc could easily have been MOTM as well.
Took 5 wickets for the game and got the important wickets of the openers and Root and Stokes as well.
Made a handy 24 not out with the bat as well.
There are no stupid questions, just stupid people.
amber_fluid
Coach

Has liked: 2217 times
Been liked: 2508 times

Postby Lightning McQueen » Wed Dec 29, 2021 1:01 pm

DOC wrote:That makes for some very grim reading.

Wood gives them the required variation.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Postby Lightning McQueen » Wed Dec 29, 2021 1:05 pm

amber_fluid wrote:Starc could easily have been MOTM as well.
Took 5 wickets for the game and got the important wickets of the openers and Root and Stokes as well.
Made a handy 24 not out with the bat as well.

Subway Award: Boland
Maccas Voucher: Harris
Chips and Coke: Starc
Mars Bar: Cummins
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Postby Lightning McQueen » Wed Dec 29, 2021 1:08 pm

RB wrote:
Brodlach wrote:
Lightning McQueen wrote:

Regardless, four of those six 2nd innings wickets were in junk time when the game was over. A little bit too much being made of the six-fer IMO.

He dismissed a semi settled Hameed, tore their heart out by removing Root and then dismissed Bairstow, 6/7 are amazing figures for a test match.

Each to their own though, Harris anchored well and created his own luck.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Postby am Bays » Wed Dec 29, 2021 3:16 pm

Lightning McQueen wrote:
whufc wrote:
northerner wrote:
whufc wrote:another miss by Carey

Hasn’t taken a 50/50 chance yet

Yep... its as bad as a dropped catch.

Yeah we can all give Buttler shit and rightfully so too, his drop of Smith was absolute ridiculous stuff. BUT about 3 of his drop catches were real tough ones that he went for were equal if not tougher to two Carey didn’t even make an attempt.

I think you're both being very harsh, Carey was wrong footed with a 150KM bullet zipping in then catching the edge to force him to re-adjust his weight and inertia to dive across in about one tenth of a second, the ball landed a bit before Warner, diving forward in the slips to take a catch against genuine pace is as hard as it gets.

Comparing Buttler's drop catches is ludicrous, the dude needed a butterfly net.

Agreed.

Careys basic technique is far superior as exemplified how he watches the ball into his gloves. it's almost as if he has been focussing to much on his hands rather than his footwork to increase he range behind the stumps

However he does need to improv his range he did go for a half chance not long after his miss on day 2 where it bounced in front of first slip and he got a glove on it.

I think it has been a confidence thing for Alex, that last attempt at a half chance hopefully is a sign he now has the feel for what is his and what are first slips.
Let that be a lesson to you Port, no one beats the Bays five times in a row in a GF and gets away with it!!!
am Bays
Coach

Has liked: 162 times
Been liked: 1804 times

Postby whufc » Wed Dec 29, 2021 9:03 pm

Agree it was heartening to see Carey go after the next chance which ended up falling short but he had a real crack at it.

For mine Carey’s batting is never going to be test standard, would love to be wrong but I just can’t see him standing up when needed. No surprise is best innings came when were 5/290, every other innings he has failed.

I just feel if his going to average 25 (averaging 17 at the moment) with the bat his going to need to be seriously good with the gloves on which he hasn’t been so far.
RIP PH408 63notoutforever
whufc
Coach

Has liked: 5565 times
Been liked: 2519 times
Grassroots Team: BSR

Postby Spargo » Wed Dec 29, 2021 9:16 pm

whufc wrote:Agree it was heartening to see Carey go after the next chance which ended up falling short but he had a real crack at it.

For mine Carey’s batting is never going to be test standard, would love to be wrong but I just can’t see him standing up when needed. No surprise is best innings came when were 5/290, every other innings he has failed.

I just feel if his going to average 25 (averaging 17 at the moment) with the bat his going to need to be seriously good with the gloves on which he hasn’t been so far.

F#ck me, how many tests has he played again?
2017 safooty NFL tipping champ

Don’t lose your grip on the dreams of the past
You must fight just to keep them alive...
Spargo
Coach

Has liked: 5457 times
Been liked: 5089 times
Grassroots Team: Sacred Heart OC

PreviousNext

Board index   Other Sports  Cricket