Australian International Summer (The Ashes) 2021/22

First Class Cricket Talk (International and State)

Re: Australian International Summer (The Ashes) 2021/22

Postby RB » Fri Jan 07, 2022 12:00 pm

Could've driven a truck between bat and pad there.
R.I.P. the SANFL 1877 - 2013
RB
Coach

Has liked: 759 times
Been liked: 1073 times

Postby whufc » Fri Jan 07, 2022 12:01 pm

am Bays wrote:
whufc wrote:deadset!!!

His a cardboard cut out

I'll take Chappell's opinions over yours just now on ABC.

Still got less misses than Healy and Marsh in their first four test.

He's got the rest of the series and the next tour.

I'm encouraged that he is going for them after the last two tests.

His foundations of keeping a very good, now it's about mindset confidence in both his batting and 'keeping

Did Chappell mention Healy and Marsh were 23 and 24 years old when they debuted so were only still very young. Carey is a 30 year old, he aint getting any more agile.
RIP PH408 63notoutforever
whufc
Coach

Has liked: 5565 times
Been liked: 2519 times
Grassroots Team: BSR

Postby Lightning McQueen » Fri Jan 07, 2022 12:01 pm

carey wrote:
Jim05 wrote:Yeah, have seen enough of Carey
NEXT

That was Warner’s catch every day of the week.

Absolutely, Carey caught in 2 minds and standing to straight for a left armer.

All need to move across 2 feet and Starc not stray down leg.
HOGG SHIELD DIVISION V WINNER 2018.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Has liked: 4339 times
Been liked: 7902 times

Postby Senor Moto Gadili » Fri Jan 07, 2022 12:04 pm

Starc is in career best form with ball and bat ..... great to watch. Sticking it up some of his critics.
Senor Moto Gadili
Veteran

Has liked: 206 times
Been liked: 532 times

Postby whufc » Fri Jan 07, 2022 12:07 pm

Senor Moto Gadili wrote:Starc is in career best form with ball and bat ..... great to watch. Sticking it up some of his critics.

Is it any surprise though that's it been on Australia's most bowler friendly pitches in 20 years.

I don't think there has been anyone question Starcs high end talent the critism has always been about him bowling on pitches that don't offer swing or seam.
whufc
Coach

Postby Lightning McQueen » Fri Jan 07, 2022 12:08 pm

whufc wrote:
robranisgod wrote:
whufc wrote:Yep Greens form with the bat is a real worry but dont think his going anywhere whilst bowling so well.

Ian Chappell would have Green out of the team for the tests in the subcontinent. According to Chappell, and he knows a lot more about cricket than most of us, Green would not even get a bowl in the upcoming tests coming up, so there is no place for him because you could then play both Head and Khawaja in the middle order.
The only concern I would have there is that if you were to play two spinners, you would need Green as the first change pace bowler.

Potentially but the fact that he would give you a 3rd pace option as the allrounder would give him a decent chance of playing. If he plays you can then have;
Cummins
Hazelwood/Starc
Green
Lyon
Swepson

If Starc was to get a game then Green definitely plays as Starc is only used in 4-5 over bursts.

Depends on the pitches in India/Pakistan in the recent test series between India and NZ the first test saw Southee and Jamieson take 8 wickets in the first innings and 6 in the second innings so the majority of wickets and the game was a draw. The second test was the complete opposite which saw the spinner take all 10 but NZ got smashed.

The out of the square option you have on a dust bowl is you play Cummins/Green as the pacemen, still have 2 frontline spinners plus Head and Labuschagne and have a heap more batting depth. India have been playing 3 spinners in tests over there but i don't think there is any need for us to do that given we barely have 2 spinners good enough for test level and we have Head and Labu.

Warner
Harris
Labuschagne
Smith
Head
Khawaja
Green
Carey
Cummins
Lyon
Swepson

We’re chasing big scores with that line up mate.

Starc over Green, we need 3 seamers regardless, great seamers take wickets wherever they play, just keep it at the top of off stump.

JL needs to rip into Carey about his batting, he needs to bat more maturely if we are to contemplate adding Swepson, it will be at Green’s expense.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Postby Lightning McQueen » Fri Jan 07, 2022 12:09 pm

Senor Moto Gadili wrote:Starc is in career best form with ball and bat ..... great to watch. Sticking it up some of his critics.

F***** oath, don’t ya just love that sort of Aussie spirit.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Postby The Dark Knight » Fri Jan 07, 2022 12:09 pm

am Bays wrote:
whufc wrote:deadset!!!

His a cardboard cut out

I'll take Chappell's opinions over yours just now on ABC.

Still got less misses than Healy and Marsh in their first four test.

He's got the rest of the series and the next tour.

I'm encouraged that he is going for them after the last two tests.

His foundations of keeping a very good, now it's about mindset confidence in both his batting and 'keeping

Speaking of Healy, Carey is wearing the limited edition dark green Kookaburra keeping gloves that Ian Healy wore throughout his career, looks like Kookaburra have gone retro with not just the Bubble bats that Labuschagne and Carey are using but Wicket keeping gloves too as a part of their Ashes tribute.

Didn't help him with that drop though, hard to defend him there but like Cameron Green he's not going anywhere at the moment.
The Dark Knight
Coach

Has liked: 10298 times
Been liked: 1516 times
Grassroots Team: North Haven

Postby whufc » Fri Jan 07, 2022 12:11 pm

Do we need 3 seamers....

The last series between India and NZ over there no team played 3 seamers. They both played 2 seamers and 3 spinners.
whufc
Coach

Postby The Dark Knight » Fri Jan 07, 2022 12:13 pm

whufc wrote:

Is it any surprise though that's it been on Australia's most bowler friendly pitches in 20 years.

I don't think there has been anyone question Starcs high end talent the critism has always been about him bowling on pitches that don't offer swing or seam.

Still has to put the ball in the right areas consistently to get results no matter what surface he's bowling on. This is probably the most consistent and accurate we've seen Starc with the red ball.
The Dark Knight
Coach

Postby The Dark Knight » Fri Jan 07, 2022 12:15 pm

tigerpie wrote:
whufc wrote:
gadj1976 wrote:
robranisgod wrote:[quote="whufc"]Yep Greens form with the bat is a real worry but dont think his going anywhere whilst bowling so well.

Ian Chappell would have Green out of the team for the tests in the subcontinent. According to Chappell, and he knows a lot more about cricket than most of us, Green would not even get a bowl in the upcoming tests coming up, so there is no place for him because you could then play both Head and Khawaja in the middle order.
The only concern I would have there is that if you were to play two spinners, you would need Green as the first change pace bowler.

Whilst Cummins and Starc are making runs, so would I. Starc is the no1 allrounder in the world, so why would we have Green in the side as the allrounder in that case?

Don't get me wrong, I pegged Green to have a breakout series but it just hasn't happened. He's looked menacing when bowling (remembering it's against England though!) but will that occur on turning dusty pitches on the subcontinent?

Its that fifth bowling option which makes Green so valuable. You cant really measure it but i think Cummins, Starc and Hazelwood would love getting that extra half an hour break to be able come back from each spell fresher.

That's a dumb comment from Chappell. I'm starting to put him and Warne in the same basket.
Indian wickets have changed for the better now that venues are rated. More green grass generally.
You need a tall bangerinerer in India to exploit any variable bounce.
I think Green will come good with the bat. And he's a brilliant fielder![/quote]
Plus Green is only 22 so has plenty of time to come good with the bat in test cricket, deserves to get as much opportunity as Mitch Marsh did.
The Dark Knight
Coach

Postby am Bays » Fri Jan 07, 2022 12:27 pm

The Dark Knight wrote:Speaking of Healy, Carey is wearing the limited edition dark green Kookaburra keeping gloves that Ian Healy wore throughout his career, looks like Kookaburra have gone retro with not just the Bubble bats that Labuschagne and Carey are using but Wicket keeping gloves too as a part of their Ashes tribute.

Didn't help him with that drop though, hard to defend him there but like Cameron Green he's not going anywhere at the moment.

Not quite the gloves being worn by Carey were only worn by Healy between 1993-97 (bookended by the two England tours)

1997-98 to end of his career, same gloves but had yellow palm rubber... (I still have my version of these gloves they are the ones I wore when 'keeping to Warney ;) )

Prior to 1993 Healy wore the Rod Marsh Gold 100s...

If you're going to talk Kookaburra Keeping gloves - Facts boys, facts....
Last edited by am Bays on Fri Jan 07, 2022 12:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Let that be a lesson to you Port, no one beats the Bays five times in a row in a GF and gets away with it!!!
am Bays
Coach

Has liked: 162 times
Been liked: 1804 times

Postby Lightning McQueen » Fri Jan 07, 2022 12:29 pm

whufc wrote:Do we need 3 seamers....

The last series between India and NZ over there no team played 3 seamers. They both played 2 seamers and 3 spinners.

When our seamers are this good, yes.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Postby am Bays » Fri Jan 07, 2022 12:37 pm

whufc wrote:

Did Chappell mention Healy and Marsh were 23 and 24 years old when they debuted so were only still very young. Carey is a 30 year old, he aint getting any more agile.

Are you talking physical change of direction or cognitive decision making based on visual cues?

Do you even know what agility is? - A two day seminar at the AIS in 2005 with all the leading biomechanists, physiologists and a ring-in couldn't so I'm not expecting you to answer. ;)

FWIW based on watching Marsh, Healy, Gilchrist, Haddin and Paine my experience is 35 is the age where chronological age and physical abilities start impact performance.
Last edited by am Bays on Fri Jan 07, 2022 12:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Let that be a lesson to you Port, no one beats the Bays five times in a row in a GF and gets away with it!!!
am Bays
Coach

Has liked: 162 times
Been liked: 1804 times

Postby Armchair expert » Fri Jan 07, 2022 12:39 pm

Boland again

Crawley is shit
Dave Warner will be missed!
Armchair expert
Coach

Has liked: 379 times
Been liked: 1414 times
Grassroots Team: Ports

Postby whufc » Fri Jan 07, 2022 12:45 pm

Boland with 7/7 since the second innings of Melbourne.
whufc
Coach

Postby The Dark Knight » Fri Jan 07, 2022 12:46 pm

Dutchy wrote:time to bring in Mitch Marsh for Green? Only 31 and in the peak of his form, plays spin really well. Gives green a chance to go back and work on his game and come back even better. Cant see us going into any tests in the near future without an allrounder.

My initial thought of the 30 year old Mitch Marsh was that whilst he has improved against spin (and batting overall) he had struggled against spin in his 32 test matches so I had a look into it.

Has a career average of 25.20, against spin he averaged 21.75 being dismissed 20 times compared to pace where we was dismissed 30 times with an average of 24.80.

In Asia he has played 9 mtaches, made 405 runs at an average of 22.50 with 2 fifties.

Against India he has played 5 matches, made 165 runs at an average of 18.33. 2 of those tests were in India where he made 48 runs in 4 innings with a highest score of 31.

Against Pakistan in the UAE he has played 4 matches, made 194 runs at an average of 24.25 with a highest score of 87.

Against Sri Lanka in Sri Lanka he has played 3 matches, made 163 runs at average of 27.16 and has a highest score of 53.

Looking towards Australia's Pakistan Tour (if it still goes ahead) I'm not sure dropping Green for Marsh for that series to bat at 6 would be beneficial given Marsh's previous result against spin and in spin friendly conditions and I feel as though the Australian selectors and management will give extra opportunities for Green to come good like they did when Marsh started test cricket. (This is not to say I'm interested to see how Marsh would go in test cricket now.)
The Dark Knight
Coach

Postby whufc » Fri Jan 07, 2022 12:51 pm

With Cummins as captain we have used the referrals a lot better than previously.
whufc
Coach

Postby whufc » Fri Jan 07, 2022 12:52 pm

Boland 8/7
whufc
Coach