Australian International Summer (The Ashes) 2021/22

First Class Cricket Talk (International and State)

Re: Australian International Summer (The Ashes) 2021/22

Postby Corona Man » Sun Jan 09, 2022 7:24 pm

am Bays wrote:
Corona Man wrote:
am Bays wrote:F***, Test Cricket is easy from the lounge room….

Pardon our opinions…. And on a forum, who’d of thought..

Ha Ha

Where have I said “Neville nobodies” and “Kenny Could’ve beens” like you and I can’t have opinions.

Doesn’t mean that all of us on here can’t be challenged for our lack of what it’s like to be out there in the heat of the moment of the highest level of the game.

You didn’t. It was implied in your post.

You’re welcome to yours and I’m welcome to mine. That’s what I’m saying so laugh it up fella.
1961, 1971, 1976, 1978, 1983, 1986, 1988, 1989, 1991, 2008, 2013, 2014, 2015.... And don't you forget it!
Corona Man
Coach

Has liked: 1270 times
Been liked: 3454 times
Grassroots Team: Echunga

Postby tigerpie » Sun Jan 09, 2022 8:56 pm

batmanbegins wrote:
Lightning McQueen wrote:Poor Habeeb, one run short from raising his bat.

Poor bloke looks that far out of his depth. Never should have played this series but we rushed him back after one decent county season due to lack of options. Crawley for all his flaws should have always played ahead of either burns or hameed all series for his ability to play the bouncing ball.

With all the tape on his fingers, I'm surprised he can hold a bat.
tigerpie
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 497 times
Been liked: 429 times

Postby The Dark Knight » Sun Jan 09, 2022 10:13 pm

Jos Buttler has a broken finger and will now fly home.
Bairstow (thumb) and Stokes (side strain)are under injury clouds for the fifth test.

https://www.espncricinfo.com/story/aus- ... es-1295974

10 - Test centuries for Khawaja, all since the start of 2015. He is one of ten players to score ten or more Test centuries in this period, that too after missing 30 of the 66 Test matches Australia have played in this period.

Khawaja missed 14 Tests in succession before the ongoing Sydney Test, the most consecutive Tests missed by a player before scoring twin centuries in a Test. The previous record was nine Tests for Steven Smith (in 2019), when was serving a ban, followed by Rohit Sharma (three in 2019) and Andy Flower (two in 2001).

2 - Batters before Khawaja to score centuries in both innings of a Test match at the Sydney Cricket Ground. Doug Walters scored 242 and 103 against West Indies in 1969 at this venue, while Ricky Ponting scored two centuries against South Africa in 2006, which was also his 100th Test match.

9 - Khawaja is one of only nine batters to score hundreds in both innings of an Ashes Test. The last to achieve the feat was Smith, in 2019, when scored twin 140-plus scores in Birmingham.

9 - Players to score centuries in both innings of a Test match while batting at No. 5 or lower before Khawaja in Sydney. Only two others have done it in the Ashes: Denis Compton in Adelaide in 1947, and Steve Waugh in Manchester in 1997.

1 - Number of players older than Khawaja (35y, 18d at the start of this Test) to score two centuries for Australia in a Test match. Donald Bradman was 39 years and 127 days old at the beginning of the 1948 Test against India in Melbourne, when he scored 132 and 127*. Khawaja is also the oldest of the nine players to score centuries in both innings of an Ashes Test.

179 - Khawaja's partnership with Cameron Green, the second-highest fifth-wicket stand in the Ashes after the fall of the first four wickets for less than 100 runs. Matthew Elliott and Ponting added 268 after Australia were four wickets down for 50 runs at Headingley in 1997. The 179 runs scored by the Khawaja-Green pair is also the highest for any wicket in the current series.

54 - Innings needed for Smith to complete 3000 runs in the Ashes, the second-quickest in terms of innings. Bradman was the fastest to the milestone, needing only 38 innings. Smith is also one of the eight players with 3000-plus Test runs against a single opponent, and the fifth to achieve it against England.
The Dark Knight
Coach

Has liked: 10268 times
Been liked: 1496 times
Grassroots Team: North Haven

Postby Rik E Boy » Mon Jan 10, 2022 1:29 pm

The declaration was fine. Our fielding wasn't and England fought very hard yesterday. There was plenty of time to bowl them out. It's extremely reactionary to point the finger in hindsight and slag off Langer or Cummins. England deserve credit for fighting it out. Crawley, Root, Stokes, Bairstow, Leach and Broad all fought every hard for Australia to earn their wickets. It was a quantum leap from Melbourne so credit where credit was due.

It also seems a few bowlers on both sides were running on fumes late in the match. Starc in particular looks like he could do with a spell and I reckon Wood for the Poms looks reasonably cooked as well. Even Cummins had some flat spells. It's a pretty tight squeeze this series and it can't be easy to back up again and again with no rest days or tour matches in between.

regards,

REB
Rik E Boy
Coach

Has liked: 1687 times
Been liked: 1809 times

Postby whufc » Mon Jan 10, 2022 1:39 pm

Rik E Boy wrote:The declaration was fine. Our fielding wasn't and England fought very hard yesterday. There was plenty of time to bowl them out. It's extremely reactionary to point the finger in hindsight and slag off Langer or Cummins. England deserve credit for fighting it out. Crawley, Root, Stokes, Bairstow, Leach and Broad all fought every hard for Australia to earn their wickets. It was a quantum leap from Melbourne so credit where credit was due.

It also seems a few bowlers on both sides were running on fumes late in the match. Starc in particular looks like he could do with a spell and I reckon Wood for the Poms looks reasonably cooked as well. Even Cummins had some flat spells. It's a pretty tight squeeze this series and it can't be easy to back up again and again with no rest days or tour matches in between.

regards,

REB

Do you think the declaration was fine....I disagree, I think the old you need 90-100 overs is a bit old hack thinking. These days when a team settles in for a draw its real real hard to bowl them out with a big reason being a tails ability to hold an end up. Tailenders have never been more equipped with bat in hand and that needs to be factored into modern day declarations.

We never needed 400 runs. At most we should have set 350 especially with the threat of rain that existed.

Would be nice to see Australia under Cummins be more aggressive in their declarations especially with the test championship a factor and the series locked away. Albeit I doubt big time that a declaration is a one or two many decision these days. I imagine captain/vice captain/ coach/ a couple of data analysts are all involved in reaching the total/time.
RIP PH408 63notoutforever
whufc
Coach

Has liked: 5551 times
Been liked: 2513 times
Grassroots Team: BSR

Postby Lightning McQueen » Mon Jan 10, 2022 2:04 pm

The Dark Knight wrote:Jos Buttler has a broken finger and will now fly home.

9 - Players to score centuries in both innings of a Test match while batting at No. 5 or lower before Khawaja in Sydney. Only two others have done it in the Ashes: Denis Compton in Adelaide in 1947, and Steve Waugh in Manchester in 1997.

How was the weather this day mal?
HOGG SHIELD DIVISION V WINNER 2018.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Has liked: 4336 times
Been liked: 7884 times

Postby Lightning McQueen » Mon Jan 10, 2022 2:09 pm

whufc wrote:
Rik E Boy wrote:The declaration was fine. Our fielding wasn't and England fought very hard yesterday. There was plenty of time to bowl them out. It's extremely reactionary to point the finger in hindsight and slag off Langer or Cummins. England deserve credit for fighting it out. Crawley, Root, Stokes, Bairstow, Leach and Broad all fought every hard for Australia to earn their wickets. It was a quantum leap from Melbourne so credit where credit was due.

regards,

REB

Do you think the declaration was fine....I disagree, I think the old you need 90-100 overs is a bit old hack thinking. These days when a team settles in for a draw its real real hard to bowl them out with a big reason being a tails ability to hold an end up. Tailenders have never been more equipped with bat in hand and that needs to be factored into modern day declarations.

We never needed 400 runs. At most we should have set 350 especially with the threat of rain that existed.

Would be nice to see Australia under Cummins be more aggressive in their declarations especially with the test championship a factor and the series locked away. Albeit I doubt big time that a declaration is a one or two many decision these days. I imagine captain/vice captain/ coach/ a couple of data analysts are all involved in reaching the total/time.

I was thinking a 350 target with a declaration made half way through the last session to give us a day and an hour.

I just thought we batted a tad slow until Green and Uzi got going, all we needed was 230 from around 60 overs, any more would've been bonus runs.

Cummins isn't the first captain to bat a tad too long for a milestone, won't be the last either.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Postby gadj1976 » Mon Jan 10, 2022 2:21 pm

whufc wrote:

regards,

REB

I also think this pitch wasn't a traditional Sydney, nor traditional 5th day pitch. It didn't look like it was a day 1 pitch on day 1. It looked greener than normal, so I would've erred on the side of caution, declaring the first dig after Usman got out, then give yourself more time for the rest of the game to work things out. And complicating things was the rain in Sydney too.

But sheesh, it's easy from here to say what I would've done.
gadj1976
Coach

Has liked: 792 times
Been liked: 841 times

Postby RB » Mon Jan 10, 2022 2:41 pm

Rik E Boy wrote:The declaration was fine. Our fielding wasn't and England fought very hard yesterday. There was plenty of time to bowl them out. It's extremely reactionary to point the finger in hindsight and slag off Langer or Cummins.

Agreed. We dropped several catches and had them at 9-fer. Not Pat's fault.
R.I.P. the SANFL 1877 - 2013
RB
Coach

Has liked: 758 times
Been liked: 1068 times

Postby Lightning McQueen » Mon Jan 10, 2022 2:45 pm

RB wrote:
Rik E Boy wrote:The declaration was fine. Our fielding wasn't and England fought very hard yesterday. There was plenty of time to bowl them out. It's extremely reactionary to point the finger in hindsight and slag off Langer or Cummins.

Agreed. We dropped several catches and had them at 9-fer. Not Pat's fault.

Just watched the Harris one for the first time, bloody hell, give the guy a butterfly net FFS.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Postby Lightning McQueen » Mon Jan 10, 2022 2:56 pm

I never used to think much of Stokes, I didn't question his talent but more of his attitude, now he'd have to be one of my favourite players going around.

He gives it his all and he feels it when he lets his side down, to stand up and announce that he doesn't think he's captain material atm speaks volumes of the man.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Postby whufc » Mon Jan 10, 2022 3:20 pm

Whilst I thought the decleration was poor I don’t blame pat for one second. Declarations are no longer just a captains sole decision. As Carey predicted on here for some reason the Australian team has a culture of being extremely run cautious with our declarations. Time was never a big issue with McGrath and Warne and the old pitches that use to break up like buggery on day 5. These drop in pitches don’t spin anywhere near as much as the old pitches. We need to reduce the runs and give more time to ourselves.

Really think as a team we need to change our attitude on declarations.

Agree with Lightning about Stokes. His a beauty that you would just love having on your team!
whufc
Coach

Postby The Bedge » Mon Jan 10, 2022 3:22 pm

whufc wrote:Whilst I thought the decleration was poor I don’t blame pat for one second. Declarations are no longer just a captains sole decision. As Carey predicted on here for some reason the Australian team has a culture of being extremely run cautious with our declarations. Time was never a big issue with McGrath and Warne and the old pitches that use to break up like buggery on day 5. These drop in pitches don’t spin anywhere near as much as the old pitches. We need to reduce the runs and give more time to ourselves.

Agree with Lightning about Stokes. His a beauty that you would just love having on your team!

Your grammar sucks. :P
Dolphin Treasure wrote:Your an attention seeking embarsement..
The Bedge
Coach

Has liked: 3188 times
Been liked: 3976 times

Postby whufc » Mon Jan 10, 2022 3:40 pm

The Bedge wrote:
whufc wrote:Whilst I thought the decleration was poor I don’t blame pat for one second. Declarations are no longer just a captains sole decision. As Carey predicted on here for some reason the Australian team has a culture of being extremely run cautious with our declarations. Time was never a big issue with McGrath and Warne and the old pitches that use to break up like buggery on day 5. These drop in pitches don’t spin anywhere near as much as the old pitches. We need to reduce the runs and give more time to ourselves.

Yeah on my phone with auto text and I never proof read. I have to worry about grammar a lot in my job, this is my escape from that.
whufc
Coach

Postby Lightning McQueen » Mon Jan 10, 2022 4:08 pm

whufc wrote:
The Bedge wrote:

Yeah on my phone with auto text and I never proof read. I have to worry about grammar a lot in my job, this is my escape from that.

This perennial beauty gives me conniption fits!!! :lol: :lol:

My OCD goes boonta.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Postby The Bedge » Mon Jan 10, 2022 4:10 pm

Lightning McQueen wrote:My OCD goes boonta.

His trying to do it off he's phone. :D :P
Dolphin Treasure wrote:Your an attention seeking embarsement..
The Bedge
Coach

Has liked: 3188 times
Been liked: 3976 times

Postby Trader » Mon Jan 10, 2022 4:13 pm

Paraphrasing what people have said...

Pitches don't break up like they used to.
There isn't as much spin on day 5, or balls doing funny things for the quicks.
We also don't have McGrath and Warne to bowl on day 5 anymore.

With this in mind, people want us to declare earlier, with a smaller lead.

Ok, so lets look at it.

The England innings was 102 overs, chasing 388.
If we declare half an hour earlier, its 110 overs, chasing 48 fewer runs, or 340.

Now, lets look at how the English innings was traveling.
Before stokes fell, England were 5/190 after 74 overs.

So they need 150 more off of 36 overs to SAFooty's preferred scenario.
Now add another 7 overs lost during the day 5 rain delay, and its 150 to win off 43 overs, a run rate of under 3.5.

Now I'll repeat the previous:

You want to give them that much of a sniff?

I don't.

I get you sometimes need to dangle the carrot trying to get the win, but for mine that applies more when you are behind in the series and need to make the pace more so than when you are on top and controlling things.

My two cents, the declaration was fine. We created more than enough chances, unfortunately we couldn't quite convert enough of them.
Danny Southern telling Plugga he's fat, I'd like to see that!
Trader
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 60 times
Been liked: 793 times

Postby whufc » Mon Jan 10, 2022 4:21 pm

Trader wrote:Paraphrasing what people have said...

With this in mind, people want us to declare earlier, with a smaller lead.

Ok, so lets look at it.

The England innings was 102 overs, chasing 388.
If we declare half an hour earlier, its 110 overs, chasing 48 fewer runs, or 340.

Now, lets look at how the English innings was traveling.
Before stokes fell, England were 5/190 after 74 overs.

So they need 150 more off of 36 overs to SAFooty's preferred scenario.
Now add another 7 overs lost during the day 5 rain delay, and its 150 to win off 43 overs, a run rate of under 3.5.

Now I'll repeat the previous:

You want to give them that much of a sniff?

I don't.

I get you sometimes need to dangle the carrot trying to get the win, but for mine that applies more when you are behind in the series and need to make the pace more so than when you are on top and controlling things.

My two cents, the declaration was fine. We created more than enough chances, unfortunately we couldn't quite convert enough of them.

Their score was significantly inflated by the fields we set and blokes literally walking to fetch the ball from the boundary for the last 15 overs.

We even tried to let a couple get to the boundary.

Also keep in mind the test championship consequences where wins in dead rubber are more important than ever before in the game
whufc
Coach

Postby Trader » Mon Jan 10, 2022 4:27 pm

whufc wrote:Their score was significantly inflated by the fields we set and blokes literally walking to fetch the ball from the boundary for the last 15 overs.

We even tried to let a couple get to the boundary.

In the last 15 overs, yes.
The last 15 overs being from overs 87 to 102.

I took the score from the 74th over.
Danny Southern telling Plugga he's fat, I'd like to see that!
Trader
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 60 times
Been liked: 793 times

Postby Brodlach » Mon Jan 10, 2022 4:34 pm

The Bedge wrote:
Lightning McQueen wrote:My OCD goes boonta.

His trying to do it off he's phone. :D :P

:lol:
July 11th 2012....
Brodlach wrote:Rory Laird might end up the best IMO, he is an absolute jet. He has been in great form at the Bloods
Brodlach
Coach

Has liked: 72 times
Been liked: 4189 times
Grassroots Team: Colonel Light Gardens

PreviousNext

Board index   Other Sports  Cricket