Australian International Summer (The Ashes) 2021/22

First Class Cricket Talk (International and State)

Re: Australian International Summer (The Ashes) 2021/22

Postby whufc » Mon Jan 10, 2022 4:36 pm

Trader wrote:
whufc wrote:Their score was significantly inflated by the fields we set and blokes literally walking to fetch the ball from the boundary for the last 15 overs.

We even tried to let a couple get to the boundary.

In the last 15 overs, yes.
The last 15 overs being from overs 87 to 102.

I took the score from the 74th over.

That’s the risk vs reward

Is any Australian happy we got a draw………..no it feels like a loss or missed win anyway. Do we get any benefit by ‘drawing’ and not losing other than the cardboard cut out hands when we collect the trophy…..no

In those circumstances I think the team would have benefited from challenging themselves to get the win at the risk of a loss.

Had the series being on the line I would have agreed with the declaration.

I reckon we ran a bit scared after the India series last year……albeit the English line up should not hold any fear to us.
RIP PH408 63notoutforever
whufc
Coach

Has liked: 5564 times
Been liked: 2519 times
Grassroots Team: BSR

Postby locky801 » Mon Jan 10, 2022 4:59 pm

whufc wrote:
Trader wrote:
whufc wrote:Their score was significantly inflated by the fields we set and blokes literally walking to fetch the ball from the boundary for the last 15 overs.

We even tried to let a couple get to the boundary.

In the last 15 overs, yes.
The last 15 overs being from overs 87 to 102.

I took the score from the 74th over.

That’s the risk vs reward

Is any Australian happy we got a draw………..no it feels like a loss or missed win anyway. Do we get any benefit by ‘drawing’ and not losing other than the cardboard cut out hands when we collect the trophy…..no

Pissed off over a draw, in my mind its a win to England although the result column doesnt show that

Im still pissed off that the Cummins didnt bowl the last over to one of the worst batsman going around and give him some chin music, even the 2nd last over Lyons bowling darts, end of the day batted too long in the 2nd dig, dropped catches and missed runout cost
Australia the win

In those circumstances I think the team would have benefited from challenging themselves to get the win at the risk of a loss.

Had the series being on the line I would have agreed with the declaration.

I reckon we ran a bit scared after the India series last year……albeit the English line up should not hold any fear to us.
You cant change your past but you can sure hell shape you future
locky801
Coach

Has liked: 3645 times
Been liked: 1160 times

Postby mal » Mon Jan 10, 2022 5:30 pm

Declaring with a lead of 416 is way way too late[ in my opinion]
You have to size up the opposition , whose batting on this tour has been mostly diabolical , and with 3 batters injured as well
Described by SAfooty expert Ambays as the worst English side to come to Australia in just over 40 years , so there's little risk them winning, even chasing about 300
Australia is 3-0 in front and have the ashes , so in my opinion batted way too long
And to send out SAfooty iconic keeper Alex Carey was a sacrifice in the end , and may ruin his career

Pat is only a rookie skipper, so he prob had to play it very safe , but ....

QUESTIONS
IF an experienced skipper like Steve Smith been skipper would he have declared earlier ? [ I reckon yes at about 399 or less]

IF Australia was down 1-2 in the series, when would the declaration have come ?[ I reckon yes at about 365]
mal
Coach

Has liked: 1138 times
Been liked: 892 times

Postby Armchair expert » Mon Jan 10, 2022 5:42 pm

I think you guys are putting too much of it on Cummins, Langer would have been in his ear and the team would have discussed it. I am quiet confident if Pat felt differently he would overrule. The real issue is once again the 'goat' failed to bowl his team to victory on the 5th day. 102 over to bowl is plenty of time.
Dave Warner will be missed!
Armchair expert
Coach

Has liked: 379 times
Been liked: 1414 times
Grassroots Team: Ports

Postby carey » Mon Jan 10, 2022 6:39 pm

Armchair expert wrote:I think you guys are putting too much of it on Cummins, Langer would have been in his ear and the team would have discussed it. I am quiet confident if Pat felt differently he would overrule. The real issue is once again the 'goat' failed to bowl his team to victory on the 5th day. 102 over to bowl is plenty of time.

Agreed.

Australia always declare far to late, yes it’s come off a few times, but it’s also failed many times. Australia also have a huge hesitation in enforcing follow-ons on the back of the India game and the sports science bullshit.
you've gota keep on keep'n on .........
carey
Coach

Has liked: 2796 times
Been liked: 2985 times
Grassroots Team: Paralowie

Postby whufc » Mon Jan 10, 2022 7:24 pm

Btw we do think Khawajas century celebration was a dig at a fair few people

The Lebron move he mimicked is known as ‘the silencer’

He seems to be in a real don’t give no **** mind frame. Dancing on the boundary in Adelaide, being real real honest in his interviews both on and off the field. Went up to Smith and slowed the last over down.

Comes across as if he is was pretty pissed about how he had been treated and now is out to prove everyone wrong and go out with a bang.
whufc
Coach

Postby heater31 » Mon Jan 10, 2022 7:49 pm

whufc wrote:Whilst I thought the decleration was poor I don’t blame pat for one second. Declarations are no longer just a captains sole decision. As Carey predicted on here for some reason the Australian team has a culture of being extremely run cautious with our declarations. Time was never a big issue with McGrath and Warne and the old pitches that use to break up like buggery on day 5. These drop in pitches don’t spin anywhere near as much as the old pitches. We need to reduce the runs and give more time to ourselves.

Really think as a team we need to change our attitude on declarations.

Agree with Lightning about Stokes. His a beauty that you would just love having on your team!
Last time I checked SCG isn't a drop in wicket block.....
heater31

Has liked: 525 times
Been liked: 1259 times

Postby amber_fluid » Mon Jan 10, 2022 9:21 pm

Did Whuffer write this:

Unsure.

Alex Carey so far has Test scores of:

110 runs at an average of 15.71. Yes, he looked good in that fifty at the Adelaide Oval, and yes, he was asked to bat in some tricky times (none worse than being asked to slog from ball one at the SCG), but has he looked all that convincing with the bat ?

I'm happy to give the benefit of the doubt to a wicket-keeper who is flawless with the gloves and can chip-in with a score here and there. Remember, a 'keeper is picked to keep.

But Carey hasn't been flawless, and his technique has been exposed. Dropped catches or not even going for them (remember Adelaide ?), the missed run-out before Bairstow was set in Sydney ... There has been at least four instances this series where his glovework has cost Australia a wicket.

At 30-years-old and after being around the Australian set-up for a number of years, I feel like he should be on top of his game - especially with the gloves. Any 'keeping flaws should have been ironed-out and he should be the best 'keeper that he can be right now.

Is Alex Carey Australia's long-term Test wicket-keeper ?
There are no stupid questions, just stupid people.
amber_fluid
Coach

Has liked: 2217 times
Been liked: 2508 times

Postby whufc » Mon Jan 10, 2022 9:24 pm

Didn’t write it coz his wrong……there has been 7 missed opportunities including the two he didn’t go for and the run out chance.

First test day 1 there was one off the gloves that went above the head off Starcs bowling. Carey got a glove on it but it went over the top for 4, tough one but he got gloves to it
Then there was the two ‘no go’ attempts in Adelaide
Three drop catches to the right hand side
The missed run out.

And now we have the experts (Gilly, Haddin) identifying a large flaw to probably the most common location he will need to go ‘low right’ at 30 with international experience already he should be at the top of his game like the article said.
whufc
Coach

Postby whufc » Mon Jan 10, 2022 9:39 pm

In fairness to Carey though being at the Redbacks for so long his probably not use to many edges coming his way.

Has the running up to the stumps to collect a throw from the outfield down pat though
whufc
Coach

Postby stan » Mon Jan 10, 2022 10:28 pm

whufc wrote:Btw we do think Khawajas century celebration was a dig at a fair few people

He seems to be in a real don’t give no **** mind frame. Dancing on the boundary in Adelaide, being real real honest in his interviews both on and off the field. Went up to Smith and slowed the last over down.

Comes across as if he is was pretty pissed about how he had been treated and now is out to prove everyone wrong and go out with a bang.
He came into the side with a clear mindset. He wasn't weighed down by any expectations.

Some of us can only be so lucky to live like that.
Read my reply. It is directed at you because you have double standards
stan
Coach

Has liked: 88 times
Been liked: 1253 times
Grassroots Team: Goodwood Saints

Postby The Dark Knight » Mon Jan 10, 2022 11:12 pm

whufc wrote:Btw we do think Khawajas century celebration was a dig at a fair few people

Do you read or watch/listen to any cricket media or do you just make up theories all the time? Have you listened to or read Khawaja speak about his return to the test team? You'll find your theory has no basis.

A press conference from a few day ago that Khawaja did where he talked about his hundred celebration, he said he did it because he loves basketball and loves LeBron and was having a bit of fun with his team mates and that's why he did it. https://youtu.be/G7iIursTXJk

And yesterday he did another press conference where he was asked about his position in the team- https://youtu.be/fXu5K_oe37w

Khawaja on Fox Cricket after yesterday's play- https://youtu.be/t9bnPS74JyE

From what I've read about and listened to of Khawaja of late to me he seems like he's at peace as to what had happened in the past and where he sits within the Australian team set up and has been very relaxed, greatful and humble when he has talked about playing for Australia again and now his recent performance. To me it seems as though he isn't bitter about what has happened in the past and doesn't have the chip on his shoulder you perceive him to have.
The Dark Knight
Coach

Has liked: 10298 times
Been liked: 1516 times
Grassroots Team: North Haven

Postby Senor Moto Gadili » Mon Jan 10, 2022 11:18 pm

The Dark Knight wrote:

Do you read or watch/listen to any cricket media or do you just make up theories all the time? Have you listened to or read Khawaja speak about his return to the test team? You'll find your theory has no basis.

A press conference from a few day ago that Khawaja did where he talked about his hundred celebration, he said he did it because he loves basketball and loves LeBron and was having a bit of fun with his team mates and that's why he did it. https://youtu.be/G7iIursTXJk

And yesterday he did another press conference where he was asked about his position in the team- https://youtu.be/fXu5K_oe37w

Khawaja on Fox Cricket- https://youtu.be/t9bnPS74JyE

From what I've read about and listened to of Khawaja of late to me he seems like he's at peace as to what had happened in the past and where he sits within the Australian team set up and has been very relaxed, greatful and humble when he has talked about playing for Australia again and now his recent performance. To me it seems as though he isn't bitter about what has happened in the past and doesn't have the chip on his shoulder you perceive him to have.

Well said :YMAPPLAUSE: :YMAPPLAUSE:
Senor Moto Gadili
Veteran

Has liked: 206 times
Been liked: 532 times

Postby whufc » Tue Jan 11, 2022 6:46 am

The Dark Knight wrote:

I avoid a lot of the media, just read what I stumble across

I was kind of half on track in that there is a change of attitude just a different direction to what I said

It’s really refreshing, never been his biggest fan in the past but version 2.0 is enjoyable to watch both with bat in hand and the attitude his playing the game with. Hope it carries him well for a while to come.
whufc
Coach

Postby Lightning McQueen » Tue Jan 11, 2022 7:54 am

He did the same thing when he was sub-fielding in Adelaide, we need personalities in international cricket, not carbon copies of each other. I love that he is loving being out there and absolutely paying back the faith that CA have shown in him, being in the top XI of something from a population on 27M doesn't just get handed to you.

In saying that, there needs to be a line though IMO, Marnus is just too much, just get out there and score runs son, you could be the most loved person in the country if you could just wind the neck in a little.
HOGG SHIELD DIVISION V WINNER 2018.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Has liked: 4339 times
Been liked: 7902 times

Postby Lightning McQueen » Tue Jan 11, 2022 7:55 am

The Dark Knight wrote:

He has certainly won the general cricketing public over, good on him.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Postby David Brent » Tue Jan 11, 2022 9:00 am

The Dark Knight wrote:

Onya TDK, those first two sentences are the best thing I've read on here in a long time :) Keep calling it out
If you can keep your head when all around you have lost theirs, then you probably haven't understood the seriousness of the situation.
David Brent
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 98 times
Been liked: 161 times

Postby Booney » Tue Jan 11, 2022 9:02 am

The Dark Knight wrote:

Pick the bones out of that.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7467 times
Been liked: 10754 times

Postby Lightning McQueen » Tue Jan 11, 2022 9:08 am

Two Boonbag replies to the same quote, this is going straight to the pool room.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Postby Dutchy » Tue Jan 11, 2022 10:11 am

Back on the declaration, its not about runs or overs left as such, more recovery time from the bowlers - the sport scientists would have more input than Langer/Cummins.

And FFS get off Carey's back, he is 4 tests into his career, he would have learnt more in the last 2 months than what he has learned in the last 2 years...
Dutchy
Site Admin

Has liked: 2311 times
Been liked: 3482 times

PreviousNext

Board index   Other Sports  Cricket