BBL 21/22

First Class Cricket Talk (International and State)

Re: BBL 21/22

Postby carey » Tue Jan 11, 2022 8:32 pm

Rik E Boy wrote:The standard has been ridiculously poor even before every **** got the bug. And this is what we sacrificed the shield for? **** off.

regards,

REB

Matched by the standard of umpiring it’s been bloody terrible.
you've gota keep on keep'n on .........
carey
Coach

Has liked: 2796 times
Been liked: 2985 times
Grassroots Team: Paralowie

Postby mal » Wed Jan 12, 2022 12:30 pm

I will repeat
No Test Squad players = about 14 unavailable for BBL
Covid means that Brisbane and Melbourne stars have virtually had to play their second elevens
Half a dozen English players have left to prepare for a series against the West Indies

The BIGgest example of how the BBL has been raped and ravaged this season is Mitchell Marsh
Killing them in the BBL, now is in the Test squad and is playing no where

This sport is for the new generation and fills up seats
The people that go to these games are passionate supporters
Its a competition with finals, thats why it works

Its good entertainment , its better than most TV shows on at the same time
mal
Coach

Has liked: 1139 times
Been liked: 892 times

Postby Lightning McQueen » Wed Jan 12, 2022 12:43 pm

mal wrote:I will repeat
Covid means that Brisbane and Melbourne stars have virtually had to play their second elevens
Half a dozen English players have left to prepare for a series against the West Indies

The BIGgest example of how the BBL has been raped and ravaged this season is Mitchell Marsh

Yet Billy Maddinson played last night?
HOGG SHIELD DIVISION V WINNER 2018.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Has liked: 4339 times
Been liked: 7902 times

Postby mal » Wed Jan 12, 2022 12:57 pm

Unavailable at times during Test series

Warner
Harris
Lab
Blonde Don
Ussie
Green
Carey
Cummins
STARc
Goat
Boland
M Marsh
Hazelwood
Richardson

I stopped at 'about' 14 ...
Maddinson makes 15 ;)
mal
Coach

Postby Dutchy » Wed Jan 12, 2022 1:11 pm

BBL still rates its socks off, gets about 5x what tennis does
Dutchy
Site Admin

Has liked: 2311 times
Been liked: 3484 times

Postby The Bedge » Wed Jan 12, 2022 1:30 pm

mal wrote:The BIGgest example of how the BBL has been raped and ravaged this season is Mitchell Marsh

Reckon this is the first time ever someone has highlighted the T20 comp being "raped and ravaged" due to test cricket. :lol:
Dolphin Treasure wrote:Your an attention seeking embarsement..
The Bedge
Coach

Has liked: 3188 times
Been liked: 3989 times

Postby whufc » Wed Jan 12, 2022 1:34 pm

I appreciate the BBL and what it brings to cricket in this country but do feel that the format has gone pretty stale. It's just really hard to pinpoint the answers given we don't really know what effect Covid has had on the product from people being cautious to attend, players not coming from overseas, teams losing players they do have.

As much as we would love to see the BBL moved so the big names can play I cant see CA moving the BBL from the school holiday timeslot, sadly if anything will move it will be test cricket.

In a perfect world I would love to see the BBL played either at the beginning our summer as a festival of cricket, lots of games over a short period of time. Issue being it wouldn't be the greatest preparation for the big name test players. Alternatively you could throw it at the end of the summer but once again there wouldn't be too many March's in future where we are not going on a test tour somewhere so once again the big names probably aren't playing.
RIP PH408 63notoutforever
whufc
Coach

Has liked: 5565 times
Been liked: 2519 times
Grassroots Team: BSR

Postby Lightning McQueen » Wed Jan 12, 2022 1:44 pm

whufc wrote:I appreciate the BBL and what it brings to cricket in this country but do feel that the format has gone pretty stale. It's just really hard to pinpoint the answers given we don't really know what effect Covid has had on the product from people being cautious to attend, players not coming from overseas, teams losing players they do have.

As much as we would love to see the BBL moved so the big names can play I cant see CA moving the BBL from the school holiday timeslot, sadly if anything will move it will be test cricket.

In a perfect world I would love to see the BBL played either at the beginning our summer as a festival of cricket, lots of games over a short period of time. Issue being it wouldn't be the greatest preparation for the big name test players. Alternatively you could throw it at the end of the summer but once again there wouldn't be too many March's in future where we are not going on a test tour somewhere so once again the big names probably aren't playing.

Yes, it is played when it's played because kids are on school holidays and more likely to attend during weeknights. Test cricket won't move to accommodate, it's the perfect recipe as far as CA are concerned, in normal circumstances there are only 12 players not playing BBL while the test is on.

Have you been to a game?

The cricket is only half of the experience, non-cricket people enjoy the atmosphere, kids absolutely love it.

Yeah the standard is a bit below what we want as a viewer at home but it beats the f*** out of Summer Bay.
HOGG SHIELD DIVISION V WINNER 2018.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Has liked: 4339 times
Been liked: 7902 times

Postby whufc » Wed Jan 12, 2022 1:57 pm

Lightning McQueen wrote:
whufc wrote:I appreciate the BBL and what it brings to cricket in this country but do feel that the format has gone pretty stale. It's just really hard to pinpoint the answers given we don't really know what effect Covid has had on the product from people being cautious to attend, players not coming from overseas, teams losing players they do have.

Yes, it is played when it's played because kids are on school holidays and more likely to attend during weeknights. Test cricket won't move to accommodate, it's the perfect recipe as far as CA are concerned, in normal circumstances there are only 12 players not playing BBL while the test is on.

Have you been to a game?

The cricket is only half of the experience, non-cricket people enjoy the atmosphere, kids absolutely love it.

Yeah the standard is a bit below what we want as a viewer at home but it beats the f*** out of Summer Bay.

100% agree. The CA has made no secret the BBL is aimed at kids and women (the new financial officer in a modern family home as they described it a seminar I was at a few years ago). Do kids and women really care about the standard...……………….I don't think so albeit kids would absolutely love to watch Warner playing.

As you said it will always rate pretty well because I know what I would much rather watch compared to summer bay. What I find now with kayo on the phone is I often will be doing choirs like doing the dishes / cooking dinner/ gardening whilst having kayo on the phone watching at the same time.

I didn't go to the new years game this year (normally its an annual one we go to) but heard that a lot of the entertainment aspect of the night had been cancelled...….the last game I went to was a year ago but it seems from watching on tv a lot of that off field entertainment has reduced a bit.....is that the case.

I enjoy the BBL and don't have a problem with it, infact I enjoy the lesser likes getting a chance to shine. I can understand though why a lot of cricket tragics are disenchanted with the BBL and find it stale and calling for changes.
whufc
Coach

Postby rd » Wed Jan 12, 2022 2:15 pm

In a non Covid world I would have the BBL as a 9 team comp with each team playing each other just once. The 9th team is the touring side and they join the BBL after the completion of the SCG Test which would be the final Test of the summer. The BBL would start over the Xmas & New Year period with the usual 8 franchises playing each other as Round 1 with the touring team having the bye. By having the touring team as the 9th BBL team - that side would play 8 sell out matches through January at the home venues of the BBL franchises. The Aust Test players are free to play for their home franchises. The Minor Round becomes 9 teams playing 8 games each instead of 8 teams playing 14 games each - so the season is slightly trimmed to reduce the boredom. BBL would still be done and dusted by 2nd week of Feb. But until Covid has stopped ruining sport - this plan can't be done...
rd
Under 18s

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 26 times

Postby gadj1976 » Wed Jan 12, 2022 3:15 pm

mal wrote:I will repeat

I'm a cricket tragic. In the past few days I've watched Sth Africa v India, Australia v England and NZ v Bangladesh test matches. But I like watching a contest, rather than players playing on a road with a tennis racquet on a postage stamp sized ground.

So it's a 'no' from me.
gadj1976
Coach

Has liked: 795 times
Been liked: 849 times

Postby am Bays » Wed Jan 12, 2022 3:51 pm

whufc wrote:

Whilst the "tradition" of the Boxing day test has only been "enshrined" since 1990-91 (in the 80s the Melbourne test fluctuated with it's start date; 22/12- 1984-85, 24/12 1988-89 and was a ODI in 89) and there was even a Boxing day test in Adelaide in 1976, it would be a brave CA that moved a test series for the BBL especially given the size of BB crowds and the ratings for test cricket in and around the Xmas new year period.
Let that be a lesson to you Port, no one beats the Bays five times in a row in a GF and gets away with it!!!
am Bays
Coach

Has liked: 162 times
Been liked: 1804 times

Postby whufc » Wed Jan 12, 2022 4:48 pm

am Bays wrote:
whufc wrote:

Whilst the "tradition" of the Boxing day test has only been "enshrined" since 1990-91 (in the 80s the Melbourne test fluctuated with it's start date; 22/12- 1984-85, 24/12 1988-89 and was a ODI in 89) and there was even a Boxing day test in Adelaide in 1976, it would be a brave CA that moved a test series for the BBL especially given the size of BB crowds and the ratings for test cricket in and around the Xmas new year period.

Yeah I don’t honestly think they will move it but I think are deadset locked in to the bbl being played during the school holidays when they can maximise $$$$ for their biggest cash cow.

Which means they are probably ‘doomed’ to never having the big guns play.
whufc
Coach

Postby Dutchy » Wed Jan 12, 2022 5:10 pm

They say its due to school holidays, but it also magically matches the non-ratings period for TV therefore is a valuable commodity and $$$$$'s - it wouldn't get the exposure it does during rating periods
Dutchy
Site Admin

Postby Armchair expert » Wed Jan 12, 2022 7:29 pm

Every team wearing black pants is infuriating

especially with the Heat Strikers colour similarities
Dave Warner will be missed!
Armchair expert
Coach

Has liked: 379 times
Been liked: 1414 times
Grassroots Team: Ports

Postby mighty_tiger_79 » Wed Jan 12, 2022 7:34 pm

Dutchy wrote:They say its due to school holidays, but it also magically matches the non-ratings period for TV therefore is a valuable commodity and $$$$$'s - it wouldn't get the exposure it does during rating periods
I think I heard the CEO of CA say every game broadcast is worth $1mill before crowds...

Sent from my SM-G781B using Tapatalk
Matty Wade is a star and deserves more respect from the forum family!
mighty_tiger_79
Coach

Has liked: 11807 times
Been liked: 3582 times

Postby Dutchy » Wed Jan 12, 2022 7:39 pm

Armchair expert wrote:Every team wearing black pants is infuriating

Test cricket must really infuriate you.....
Dutchy
Site Admin

Postby Armchair expert » Wed Jan 12, 2022 7:45 pm

Dutchy wrote:
Armchair expert wrote:Every team wearing black pants is infuriating

Test cricket must really infuriate you.....

:lol:

If you are going to wear colours then at least mix it up a bit
Dave Warner will be missed!
Armchair expert
Coach

Has liked: 379 times
Been liked: 1414 times
Grassroots Team: Ports

Postby mal » Wed Jan 12, 2022 9:21 pm

Rik E Boy wrote:The standard has been ridiculously poor even before every **** got the bug. And this is what we sacrificed the shield for? **** off.

regards,

REB

This will make you happy
James Pattinson has pulled out of the BBL
A reason given , is to freshen up and make sure he is ok to play Sheffield Shield
mal
Coach

Postby Spargo » Wed Jan 12, 2022 9:26 pm

mal wrote:

regards,

REB

This will make you happy
James Pattinson has pulled out of the BBL
A reason given , is to freshen up and make sure he is ok to play Sheffield Shield

He’s obviously set for coin then.
2017 safooty NFL tipping champ

Don’t lose your grip on the dreams of the past
You must fight just to keep them alive...
Spargo
Coach

Has liked: 5459 times
Been liked: 5089 times
Grassroots Team: Sacred Heart OC

PreviousNext

Board index   Other Sports  Cricket