Australian International Summer (The Ashes) 2021/22

First Class Cricket Talk (International and State)

Re: Australian International Summer (The Ashes) 2021/22

Postby mighty_tiger_79 » Tue Jan 11, 2022 3:21 pm

whufc wrote:This is going to be my last post ever with the name Alex Carey, I wont post good, bad, ugly no matter how he performs for the rest of the series. What I will do those is summarise my thoughts so you can refer to it when hopefully he hits that hundred or starts keeping amazingly well and you want to throw a fair bit back.

-He is keeping absolutely terribly at the moment, he is a better keeper than he has shown but personally I don't think his as good a keeper as many rate him.
-imo he does the basics extremely well infact if I had to have a keeper catch a regulation catch to save my life his probably the man but imo I haven't seen much outstanding from him when it comes to the non regulation acts.
-Imo to be a good test keeper you have to do the regulation very well but also be able to do the spectacular as well. imo Carey comes across as if he is a keeper who doesn't like to dive....no I don't have the facts or stats on that just a feeling. Yes a good keeper should limit how much he has to 'dive' but it is inevitable at test level where so many wickets are from edges that you are going to need to move vertically left to right and right to left. I don't have his biomechanics or any of that information but for mine he just doesn't appear to have the 'spring' I see from others keepers.
-imo the above is what separates the good from the very good. Every state keeper should of taken every catch his taken so far......its those missed half chances that make the difference not how well you take the ball when a batter leaves one through to him.
-imo he will never average 30 with the bat at test level so therefore his keeping needs to be on point for the majority of time. Keeping in mind our last 3 keepers Paine, Wade, Haddin all averaged above 30 with the bat. yes I know Wade played just as a batsmen as well.
-imo he is still a very immature batter very often gets out playing a very poor shot at a very poor time eg his first innings dismissal.
-imo Carey being from SA has a major on influence on peoples judgement of his performance. If Wade/Inglis had done exactly the same as Carey this season could you imagine this forum, they would be calling for a dropping immediately. Being that I have lived in multiple states and countries I don't feel that SA pride as much as others on here.

Anyways ill leave it at that but happy to be crucified when/if things go well for him. Live and die by the sword but im not going to post on the subject anymore.....kind of took away from my enjoyment of hoping and watching that he achieves success in the last test which is actually what I want from him.

Would be a boring forum if we didn't have different opinions on players/tactics etc.

Don't let the Carey fan club win.
How do you think I feel with all the silly statements people make about Wade??
I just shake my head at disbelief.
Matty Wade is a star and deserves more respect from the forum family!
mighty_tiger_79
Coach

Has liked: 11805 times
Been liked: 3582 times

Postby The Dark Knight » Tue Jan 11, 2022 3:21 pm

whufc wrote:
The Dark Knight wrote:
whufc wrote:Firstly i stated I liked what Khawaja was doing and find it 'refreshing'. I even said I wasn't his biggest fan in the early days but really enjoying the new attitude he has brought....its great to hear it comes from a place of peace and not anger and yes I got that bit wrong as you clearly showed. I am happy to change an opinion on a person or go against the grain somewhat. I'm a big fan of Labuschagne...…..comes across to me as just a kid who bloody loves the game of cricket and hasn't been weighed down by the seriousness or pressure of international cricket. Yeah he carries on a bit but so did we all when we were a kid and just loved playing every minute.

In regards to media, honest answer is I'm completely disengaged with the way media operate in todays society.

These days we have organisations like CA spending millions a year via 'online media' which to be honest is just online marketing and they could sell ice to an eskimo. Pre-scripted press conferences, On the other hand you have media personalities now like Shane Warne who would sell their own mother to get a headline. Does anyone believe Warne actually believes everything that comes out his mouth. His no lone ranger either with the list of good media personalities pretty thin...………...Hussey probably my favourite.

Obviously I stumble across a bit of social media, I have to for work but if I have a chance to sit down and scroll the interweb haha im probably more looking at historical games, legends of the game (I never appreciated Viv Richards anywhere near enough since being able to see so many of his highlights), controversial moments or unknown type stories and avoiding any Covid related discussions.

Yes you're right about Labuschagne, absolutely loves cricket and is like an excitable kid playing the game, I can see why it annoys people but it's completely natural and part of his personality.

I agree that CA and in particular Cricket.com.au has a certain amount of propaganda that they write and distribute which has an obvious bias towards the Australian Cricket teams and therefore I don't find it the best source of cricket information, it's why I prefer ESPN Cricinfo as it generally covers everything you'd want but Cricket.com.au occasionally provides some good, informative articles and usually are very good for player interviews, news videos and highlights.

For interviews and analysis I've found podcasts and YouTube videos are great for cricket information. The Grade Cricketer guys provide great informal player interviews, The Wisden cricket podcast/videos is quite informative without being too bias towards England, Sky Sports in England provide some good vodcast stuff while my favourite video based cricket information comes from former ESPN Cricinfo writer and analyst Jarrod Kimber, the information and analysis he provides is incredible. He generally covers all test and first class cricket through his 'Red Inker' Podcast and also does a Spotify green room Podcast along with review and analysis videos in his 'Last Knock' short video series.

Ill make a point of taking a look at few that you have recommended.
Try the Grade Cricketer guys as I think you will immediately relate to them.
For the more analytical point of view try Jarrod Kimber.
The Dark Knight
Coach

Has liked: 10298 times
Been liked: 1516 times
Grassroots Team: North Haven

Postby whufc » Tue Jan 11, 2022 3:28 pm

Lightning McQueen wrote:
Dutchy wrote:I fielded at 1st slip for most of my meagre cricketing career, however if there was ever an edge that went between myself and the keeper we would actually both go for it and 90% of the time the keeper (being 2-3m closer to the batter) would gobble it up, if they didn't time their dive correctly I was there to attempt to take the catch. It staggers me when you see any edge go between the keeper and 1st slip without either attempting the catch and just staring at each other.

If a left armer was bowling you'd stand wider as a keeper and everyone would push across 2 foot.

I think when we have 3 slips in place we could cover a further 2 metres than what we do, it cuts out the indecision too as the further apart from each other you are the more likely that you will both go for it.

I loved the slips, I loved it more against a left handed batter though being left handed, used to piss me off no end when the keeper dived across in front of me so I stood as wide as possible to stop him for doing so.

Yeah I loved the slips as well. I'm an out and out left hander so I found being at first slip fairly challenging as a high portion of chances were going to my non dominant right hand side, anything to my left the keeper should have been taken or trying to.

Loved second slip though. Had no problem trying to get across infront of first to take a catch or two....or normally drop then but found I could go on instinct a lot better at second and if it was in my range I was going without any obscure view.

In saying that ive dropped a couple of dollies at second this year...….im going about getting dropped out of the cordon...honestly as im nearing 40 I think my eyes and reflexes are going on me.
RIP PH408 63notoutforever
whufc
Coach

Has liked: 5565 times
Been liked: 2519 times
Grassroots Team: BSR

Postby mighty_tiger_79 » Thu Jan 13, 2022 11:40 am

So it looks like the Aussie selectors are gonna drop Harris for Uzzy

After promising Harris a spot for the series. If that does in fact come to pass, that means now all players will lose faith and trust in the selectors.

That was the thought if Head didn't get his spot back for Uzzy.

Sent from my SM-G781B using Tapatalk
Matty Wade is a star and deserves more respect from the forum family!
mighty_tiger_79
Coach

Has liked: 11805 times
Been liked: 3582 times

Postby Lightning McQueen » Thu Jan 13, 2022 11:57 am

mighty_tiger_79 wrote:So it looks like the Aussie selectors are gonna drop Harris for Uzzy

After promising Harris a spot for the series. If that does in fact come to pass, that means now all players will lose faith and trust in the selectors.

Harris is poop. EOS mate, he was promised the MCG test for memory.

I'd much rather Marnus going in at 1/80 opposed to 1/20.
HOGG SHIELD DIVISION V WINNER 2018.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Has liked: 4339 times
Been liked: 7902 times

Postby whufc » Thu Jan 13, 2022 11:58 am

mighty_tiger_79 wrote:So it looks like the Aussie selectors are gonna drop Harris for Uzzy

Harris out is the right move as it stands. I doubted both but Khawaja and Head have done the job, are in form, and both far better right this minue than Harris.

I'm not a huge fan of Khawaja being used as an opener despite not doing it in a long time, but he does have a successful record doing it so I can understand why the selectors will go with it and there really was no other choice.

I really didn't like the Labuschagne call to opening. Yeah I know at 3 you can be in the second ball of the game etc but having done both opening and number 3 all my life at village level cricket its not the same. I cant explain it but its just different. Not saying Labuschagne isn't good enough to do it but just leave him where he is doing real well.
whufc
Coach

Postby Armchair expert » Thu Jan 13, 2022 2:09 pm

Harris confirmed dropped, Usman to open Head back to the middle order
Dave Warner will be missed!
Armchair expert
Coach

Has liked: 379 times
Been liked: 1414 times
Grassroots Team: Ports

Postby The Bedge » Thu Jan 13, 2022 2:15 pm

mighty_tiger_79 wrote:After promising Harris a spot for the series. If that does in fact come to pass, that means now all players will lose faith and trust in the selectors.

Far harder to pay Harris just because you promised him a spot, and leave out one of the two in-form bats.

Harris forced out by circumstance - no one could've predicted Khawaja scoring twin 100's last week, and you simply cant drop a bloke after that.
Head missed out by pure unluckiness testing positive, has had a good series, would be criminal if he was left out simply because he caught a cold.
Dolphin Treasure wrote:Your an attention seeking embarsement..
The Bedge
Coach

Has liked: 3188 times
Been liked: 3989 times

Postby amber_fluid » Thu Jan 13, 2022 2:22 pm

The Bedge wrote:
mighty_tiger_79 wrote:After promising Harris a spot for the series. If that does in fact come to pass, that means now all players will lose faith and trust in the selectors.

Far harder to pay Harris just because you promised him a spot, and leave out one of the two in-form bats.

Harris forced out by circumstance - no one could've predicted Khawaja scoring twin 100's last week, and you simply cant drop a bloke after that.
Head missed out by pure unluckiness testing positive, has had a good series, would be criminal if he was left out simply because he caught a cold.

Harris is missing out coz he’s shit! ;)
Uzzie deserves to stay in the team.

Keep making runs and they can’t drop ya
There are no stupid questions, just stupid people.
amber_fluid
Coach

Has liked: 2217 times
Been liked: 2508 times

Postby whufc » Thu Jan 13, 2022 3:52 pm

Boland in doubt...….

Wonder what they will do there as im sure they would have liked to rest Starc if possible.
whufc
Coach

Postby Lightning McQueen » Thu Jan 13, 2022 3:57 pm

whufc wrote:Boland in doubt...….

Wonder what they will do there as im sure they would have liked to rest Starc if possible.

Starc ain't resting, he'd have a stiffy looking at the Bellerive deck.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Postby locky801 » Thu Jan 13, 2022 4:30 pm

Lightning McQueen wrote:

He has been pretty vocal about it, he would want to perform ;)
You cant change your past but you can sure hell shape you future
locky801
Coach

Has liked: 3645 times
Been liked: 1160 times

Postby Senor Moto Gadili » Thu Jan 13, 2022 4:55 pm

locky801 wrote:
Lightning McQueen wrote:

He has been pretty vocal about it, he would want to perform ;)

No reason why he won't perform. He would be a leading contender for player of the series and his pink ball form is outstanding. I'm backing him in.
Senor Moto Gadili
Veteran

Has liked: 206 times
Been liked: 532 times

Postby Corona Man » Thu Jan 13, 2022 5:42 pm

Lightning McQueen wrote:

That would make his approach to the wicket (run up) a little awkward.
1961, 1971, 1976, 1978, 1983, 1986, 1988, 1989, 1991, 2008, 2013, 2014, 2015.... And don't you forget it!
Corona Man
Coach

Has liked: 1275 times
Been liked: 3461 times
Grassroots Team: Echunga

Postby whufc » Fri Jan 14, 2022 1:12 pm

Have England announced their side yet...………..has there ever been such an uncertain side in history. The only certs as I see it.

1. Crawley
2. ??????
3. Malan
4. Root
5. Bairstow
6 ???????
7.???????
8. ??????
9. Wood
10. Broad
11. Anderson.

Even there pace line up is no certain to be that with Robinson potentially coming back into the side. Left Stokes out as he is potentially injured. Leach was improved in Sydney but day night test they may opt for a 4 man pace attack, I guess a lot of that rides on what Stokes is doing.
whufc
Coach

Postby Brodlach » Fri Jan 14, 2022 1:18 pm

Am I the only one that prefers teams only be announced at the toss?
July 11th 2012....
Brodlach wrote:Rory Laird might end up the best IMO, he is an absolute jet. He has been in great form at the Bloods
Brodlach
Coach

Has liked: 72 times
Been liked: 4206 times
Grassroots Team: Colonel Light Gardens

Postby Lightning McQueen » Fri Jan 14, 2022 1:24 pm

whufc wrote:Have England announced their side yet...………..has there ever been such an uncertain side in history. The only certs as I see it.

1. Crawley
2. ??????
3. Malan
4. Root
5. Bairstow
6 ???????
7.???????
8. ??????
9. Wood
10. Broad
11. Anderson.

Even there pace line up is no certain to be that with Robinson potentially coming back into the side. Left Stokes out as he is potentially injured. Leach was improved in Sydney but day night test they may opt for a 4 man pace attack, I guess a lot of that rides on what Stokes is doing.

Leach will not be overlooked.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Postby Lightning McQueen » Fri Jan 14, 2022 1:24 pm

Brodlach wrote:Am I the only one that prefers teams only be announced at the toss?

Na, I'm not a fan of gender reveals either.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Postby Armchair expert » Fri Jan 14, 2022 1:28 pm

Brodlach wrote:Am I the only one that prefers teams only be announced at the toss?

No
Dave Warner will be missed!
Armchair expert
Coach

Has liked: 379 times
Been liked: 1414 times
Grassroots Team: Ports

Postby whufc » Fri Jan 14, 2022 1:29 pm

Little column A, little column B.

For betting purposes I would rather see the teams beforehand...…..which reminds me :lol:
whufc
Coach

PreviousNext

Board index   Other Sports  Cricket