SANFL 2022 Season

All discussions to do with the SANFL

Re: SANFL 2022 Season

Postby whufc » Tue Dec 21, 2021 12:05 pm

Wedgie wrote:North Adelaide Football Club confirms positive COVID-19 case

North Adelaide Football Club can confirm today that one of its men’s league/reserves players has tested positive to COVID-19.

All close contacts of the positive case are currently awaiting results from tests and are isolating.

The player, who is 20 years of age, is in quarantine at home as per SA Health protocols. The Club’s League and Reserves squads trained together on Saturday morning in an outdoor beach session at Henley Beach. All players, coaches and support staff who attended this session have been advised and are getting tested.

It is understood that the player may have contracted the virus late in the week whilst in close contact with a friend who later tested positive. The player started feeling lethargic late on Sunday and immediately went to get tested and isolated, before receiving the positive test result on Monday night.

North Adelaide Chief Executive Officer Craig Burton said the player, who is double vaccinated, currently had mild symptoms. “I want to commend him for the urgency he has demonstrated in getting a test at the first sign of his fatigue, informing our football manager and club doctor and doing everything possible to protect his teammates and our staff,” Burton said.

“As a club we are taking every precaution to ensure the health and wellbeing of our staff and the broader community. Appropriate wellbeing supports have been put in place to support the player, his family and those who are isolating during this period when families are getting together for Christmas.

“Our coaches and players who were either in attendance at the beach session or in contact with the player over the weekend are all getting tested. The clear processes the club and SANFL have in place has ensured that those who need to isolate are isolating.

“Football clubs are a snapshot of society, and these situations are happening more often now that our state has opened up. This highlights the importance of being vaccinated and getting tested as soon as you have any symptoms."

The club will provide a further update on the situation in due course.

I played cricket on Saturday with a bloke who is training with North......do we know the name of the player???
RIP PH408 63notoutforever
whufc
Coach

Has liked: 5564 times
Been liked: 2519 times
Grassroots Team: BSR

Postby Eagles Nest » Tue Dec 21, 2021 3:58 pm

Wedgie wrote:North Adelaide Football Club confirms positive COVID-19 case

North Adelaide Football Club can confirm today that one of its men’s league/reserves players has tested positive to COVID-19.

All close contacts of the positive case are currently awaiting results from tests and are isolating.

The player, who is 20 years of age, is in quarantine at home as per SA Health protocols. The Club’s League and Reserves squads trained together on Saturday morning in an outdoor beach session at Henley Beach. All players, coaches and support staff who attended this session have been advised and are getting tested.

It is understood that the player may have contracted the virus late in the week whilst in close contact with a friend who later tested positive. The player started feeling lethargic late on Sunday and immediately went to get tested and isolated, before receiving the positive test result on Monday night.

North Adelaide Chief Executive Officer Craig Burton said the player, who is double vaccinated, currently had mild symptoms. “I want to commend him for the urgency he has demonstrated in getting a test at the first sign of his fatigue, informing our football manager and club doctor and doing everything possible to protect his teammates and our staff,” Burton said.

“As a club we are taking every precaution to ensure the health and wellbeing of our staff and the broader community. Appropriate wellbeing supports have been put in place to support the player, his family and those who are isolating during this period when families are getting together for Christmas.

“Our coaches and players who were either in attendance at the beach session or in contact with the player over the weekend are all getting tested. The clear processes the club and SANFL have in place has ensured that those who need to isolate are isolating.

“Football clubs are a snapshot of society, and these situations are happening more often now that our state has opened up. This highlights the importance of being vaccinated and getting tested as soon as you have any symptoms."

The club will provide a further update on the situation in due course.

Looks like Jarred Allmond got out just in time
Eagles Nest
Rookie

Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 30 times
Grassroots Team: Flinders Park

Postby am Bays » Mon Jan 10, 2022 9:56 pm

Eagles people how are you looking for nexts weeks game in Darwin?

Are you like other SANFL clubs ATM battling Covid??

How many will make the trip?
Let that be a lesson to you Port, no one beats the Bays five times in a row in a GF and gets away with it!!!
am Bays
Coach

Has liked: 162 times
Been liked: 1804 times

Postby whybother » Tue Jan 11, 2022 8:14 am

I predict that Jack Hayes and James Tsitas wont be playing
whybother
Under 16s

Has liked: 108 times
Been liked: 97 times

Postby am Bays » Tue Jan 11, 2022 9:20 am

whybother wrote:I predict that Jack Hayes and James Tsitas wont be playing

:lol: :lol:
Let that be a lesson to you Port, no one beats the Bays five times in a row in a GF and gets away with it!!!
am Bays
Coach

Postby Mr Fuller » Tue Jan 11, 2022 9:28 am

am Bays wrote:Eagles people how are you looking for nexts weeks game in Darwin?

I am not aware that the club has actually released anything to it's members about this match - either last year or this year. Unless I have missed it.

Is the game actually going to go ahead with all the dramas about Covid?

If so, would it be shown on tv? I recall watching the bays on tv playing in the same match a few years ago
Mr Fuller
Reserves

Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 123 times

Postby Reddeer » Tue Jan 11, 2022 10:36 am

Mr Fuller wrote:
am Bays wrote:Eagles people how are you looking for nexts weeks game in Darwin?

I am not aware that the club has actually released anything to it's members about this match - either last year or this year. Unless I have missed it.

If so, would it be shown on tv? I recall watching the bays on tv playing in the same match a few years ago

It would be wise to abandon this match in view of the current escalation of the virus. It match matters not anyway
Verschrikkelyk!!
Reddeer
Reserves

Has liked: 28 times
Been liked: 83 times

Postby am Bays » Tue Jan 11, 2022 11:00 am

Reddeer wrote:
Mr Fuller wrote:

It would be wise to abandon this match in view of the current escalation of the virus. It match matters not anyway

it's gone quiet up here too about it.

If you are having with issues with Covid and how that effects your prep for round one, you're right, Eagles need to do what's best for them and the SANFL season.
am Bays
Coach

Postby whybother » Wed Jan 12, 2022 8:00 am

The warning signs are clear. Various AFL type are talking about "raiding" local leagues during the year to top up their lists if covid strikes their players, as has been done by Big Bash teams. So much for the teams in "lesser" competitions.
whybother
Under 16s

Has liked: 108 times
Been liked: 97 times

Postby southernbulldog » Fri Jan 14, 2022 11:17 am

This season could be very intriguing as to what happens with Covid hopefully not to many issues.
For what its worth this is my prediction on how the sides will go this season not in any specific order ..

Centrals -Unfortunately we may find it tough again recruiting looks ok but no ruckman will make it hard unlikely to play finals.
Glenelg -Will play finals have a very good list
Sturt -Showed real improvement late last season should get Wilson back and he is a gun finals bound.
South-Lost a stack of players but have recruited well should play finals.
Eagles- If they lose Tsitas & Hayes they will be huge outs but still good enough to challenge again.
West -Look to have recruited well and expect them to be big improvers
Norwood-Lost a lot of experience but have picked up some good players with AFL experience should challenge for five.
North -As Norwood have lost some experience but they could be around the mark of the five.
Adelaide/Port- I should say who cares but i guess it will depend on who they have availalble

More than likely i will be wrong.Particularly with Centrals but we will wait and see.
southernbulldog
Reserves

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 237 times
Grassroots Team: Brighton District & OS

Postby whufc » Mon Jan 17, 2022 11:06 am

I hear North Adelaide having a slightly tough time this pre season with a handful of blokes who have now been in isolation for over 30 days. I know Sam McInerney is on around day 35 due to being a close contact on a handful of occasions. His pretty gutted as he had this year eyed out as being a big one for him and was as fit as his ever been pre Christmas.

I haven't heard of Centrals having such issues at this stage...….wonder how other clubs are coping.
whufc
Coach

Postby topshelf » Mon Jan 17, 2022 4:17 pm

Be interesting to see if any players aren't playing due to not being vaccinated.
topshelf
Rookie

Has liked: 54 times
Been liked: 32 times

Postby DOC » Tue Jan 18, 2022 4:59 pm

SANFL has welcomed the State Government’s continuing investment in facility upgrades for SANFL Clubs, with Woodville-West Torrens, North Adelaide, South Adelaide and Sturt the latest clubs set to benefit from grants through the PLAN.BUILD.PLAY Sports Infrastructure Funding Program.

The four clubs – in partnerships with local councils and schools – this month secured more than $1.7 million in funding for the next wave of exciting developments at SANFL venues.

The continued growth of female football participation, coupled with the expansion of elite SANFL Club talent programs and competitions, has sparked a growing need for investment in new and improved facilities. The latest funding follows on from State Government investment in other recent project completions at Glenelg, Central District, Norwood, Sturt and Woodville West Torrens football clubs.

More than $800,000 in total will be spent on the latest project at Maughan Thiem Kia Oval at Woodville, as the Eagles partner with the State Government, Woodville District Cricket Club and Charles Sturt Council to upgrade the changeroom facilities in the Barry Jarman Grandstand.

The State Government funding contribution to the Woodville-West Torrens project will ensure the project meets the standard required to be an appropriate facility for female players and accessible for players and officials with a disability. It also comes on the back of the completion of a major $800,000 lighting upgrade at Woodville which also received State Government investment.

“SANFL is committed to working with clubs, governments and councils to appropriately plan and deliver upgrades which ensure that our State can continue to realise the significant social and economic benefits football delivers.''

Meanwhile, a $1.5 million redevelopment project will take place at Prospect Oval as North Adelaide establishes new dedicated female changeroom facilities, together with an entry and exit for women’s teams between the changeroom and playing surface.

The Roosters will also be making extensive improvements to their entertainment spaces, relocating the kitchen and function room upstairs, accompanied by a balcony viewing area, whilst relocating the gym downstairs to overlook the adjacent Memorial Gardens.

South Adelaide’s partnership with neighbouring Cardijn College continues to strengthen with a $440,000 project at the College’s oval now granted funding approval.

The funding partnership between the State Government, South Adelaide, Cardijn College, SANFL and the AFL, will support installation of lighting at Cardijn College Oval to meet the increased demand of female and junior programs now being facilitated by the Panthers, encouraging greater participation in sport throughout the southern suburbs.

The City of Unley welcomed a $635,000 contribution to oval surface improvements at Unley Oval.

This project follows a suite of developments undertaken at the oval, including upgraded football facilities and female friendly changerooms and the recently commenced development of a $4.5m community hub and multi-use function facility above the Jack Oatey Grandstand funded by the City of Unley, the Sturt Football Club and the Federal Government.

The new Glenelg Oval changerooms, completed in 2021, will offer expanded facilities for the Glenelg Football Club’s female and junior programs.

SANFL Infrastructure Manager Belinda Marsh said continued State Government facilities funding was crucial to support increased levels of participation being driven by SANFL and its eight League Clubs, not only in the metropolitan area but across the state.

“It’s crucial that our SANFL League clubs and the most talented male and female players have the opportunity to pursue their dreams at quality facilities. This is more important now than ever, with the incredible growth in junior football and female participation and the need to provide the opportunities for the 8,000-plus women and girls registered to play footy right across SA,” Ms Marsh said.

“SANFL is committed to working with clubs, governments and councils to appropriately plan and deliver upgrades which ensure that our State can continue to realise the significant social and economic benefits football delivers.”

In addition to funding for SANFL Clubs, 15 community clubs across metropolitan and regional SA also were supported, with over $8.4 million in funding for facility upgrades, including new club and facility developments at Adelaide Community Sport and Recreation Association (Park 21), Tanunda Recreation Park and the Modbury Football Club.
DOC
Coach

Has liked: 723 times
Been liked: 2076 times

Postby gazzamagoo » Wed Jan 19, 2022 7:16 am

Will be VERY interesting to see how post-covid players pull up at training,
My other half's eldest son works on Xmas Island in the riot squad, therefore he's a muscle-bound beast,
he's "recovered" from Covid but had to do some training drills to see if he could go back to the island,
his breathing is not as it was & his lung capacity has diminished. (but it's only another flu :roll: )
gazzamagoo
League - Top 5

Has liked: 1656 times
Been liked: 643 times
Grassroots Team: Salisbury

Postby whufc » Wed Jan 19, 2022 10:33 am

gazzamagoo wrote:Will be VERY interesting to see how post-covid players pull up at training,
My other half's eldest son works on Xmas Island in the riot squad, therefore he's a muscle-bound beast,
he's "recovered" from Covid but had to do some training drills to see if he could go back to the island,
his breathing is not as it was & his lung capacity has diminished. (but it's only another flu :roll: )

In fairness though anyone who trains regularly and then has a 10-14 day lay off is going to 'blow hard' on there first few runs back regardless of whether they were ill or not.
whufc
Coach

Postby DOC » Wed Jan 19, 2022 10:54 am

I have this from a very good source.

The SANFL, WAFL and VFL fixtures are all delayed at the request of the AFL.

I guess Darren Chandler must be eyeing off an AFL position like his predecessors.
DOC
Coach

Postby Mr Fuller » Wed Jan 19, 2022 6:04 pm

Barring some kind of Covid explosion this week it looks like the Eagles vs NT (men's and women's games) is going ahead this weekend according to the NT News today. Very odd given the Club still hasn't made a single mention of it to members nor is it mentioned on our website.

Does anyone know if it is being telecast and how we can watch it from SA?

Here is the article from today's NT News -

Eight Woodville-West Torrens players to watch against NTFL in representative clash

A former Crow, one-time Blues forward and a Territory star will turn out for SANFL outfit Woodville-West Torrens against the NTFL men’s and women’s representative teams.

REPRESENTATIVE football returns to the Territory this weekend and NT News has the latest on who will hit the park at TIO Stadium.

The Northern Territory Football League’s men’s and women’s representative teams will take on SANFL heavyweight Woodville-West Torrens on Saturday.

And while the Territory has named two strong squads, little has been known about the Eagles’ teams, until now.

Woodville-West Torrens, whose men’s team claimed the 2021 SANFL premiership in a 67-point flogging of Glenelg, has leaked eight names for Territory fans to keep an eye out for ahead of its full squad being named later in the week.

RILEY KNIGHT
There will be plenty of eyes on Knight at TIO Stadium and expectations are he will be in the thick of the action.

The former Adelaide Crow racked up 55 games at the top level, notching 37 goals in the process. He returned to the SANFL club in 2021 and made an instant impact.

Playing through the midfield, Knight was one of the leading possession getters in the competition with 450 disposals from 18 games.

As a result, the 25-year-old was selected in the SANFL Team of the Year and will be pushing his case for a return to the AFL ranks.

TROY MENZEL
The former Blues and Crows forward joined the Eagles in 2021 from Central District with his brother Daniel, a former Swan and Cat, in a move which put many noses out of joint at Elizabeth Oval.

However, the switch paid off with Menzel slotting three majors in the premiership decider. The number 11 pick in the 2011 national draft helped shape a potent forward line during the season – with the likes of his brother, Geelong recruit Tyson Stengle and Jake von Bertouch – kicking 24 goals from 14 games.

CONNOR BALLENDEN
The former Brisbane Lion is a recent arrival at the Eagles having made the move for the 2022 season.

Ballenden spent four seasons at Brisbane where he played three games at AFL level.

But more recently he won Brisbane’s VFL best and fairest.

The 200cm key position player has shown the ability to play at either end of the ground and will provide a key target in the front half.

ADAM D’ALOIA

The teenager, who could be a 2022 AFL national draft fancy, made his name in the Eagles’ Under 18 grand final win last year, taking home the Alan Stewart Medal for a best on ground performance with 29 touches, eight clearances and a goal.

He also averaged 25 disposals across 10 games in 2021.

The inside midfielder, an AFL Academy member, also captained South Australia at Under 17s level in 2021 and played three reserves matches during the SANFL season, averaging 16.7 disposals a game.

RENEE FORTH
The 2019 AFLW premiership-winning midfielder joined the Eagles full time this year after playing 12 matches at various times while on Adelaide’s list.

Expected to provide plenty of leadership for a young squad and known for her versatility, Forth is keen to rekindle her AFLW career in 2023 when four new clubs enter the competition, including Port Adelaide.

One of GWS’ inaugural marquee players, Eagles coach Narelle Smith said the WA product would bring a “wealth of experience and has a great football IQ”.

ELLA LITTLE

Little joins the Eagles after a strong 2021 season where she dominated the SA Country Championships for Murray South East — named the player of the tournament, best under 21 player and centre half back in the championship’s best-of team.

She also won a flag with Morphetville Park in the SAAFL.

SHINEAH GOODY
A young gun who looks to be developing into a future star. Goody her SANFLW debut in the 2021 season at the age of just 16 and never once looked out of place.

And with 138 disposals from 11 matches, she was named in the SANFLW Team of the Year. Goody takes the game on with her run and carry and tackles as hard as anyone.

JORDANN HICKEY
A familiar name in the NT, Hickey originally hails from Alice Springs.

She was the first Centralian to be selected in the AFLW draft, chosen at pick 31 by Melbourne in the 2018 draft. The smart forward was snapped up by the Demons after stellar performances for NT Thunder in the VFLW.

In 2020, she was signed by the Gold Coast Suns where she would play nine games.

Now with the Eagles, Hickey will be relishing the opportunity to show her skill in front of Territory crowds.
Mr Fuller
Reserves

Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 123 times

Postby Wedgie » Wed Jan 19, 2022 7:49 pm

Don't worry about tv coverage, just do what the North supporters did and the Glenelg supporters didn't do. Fly up, watch it and have a party! A great way to spend a weekend! :D
Wedgie
Site Admin

Has liked: 2020 times
Been liked: 3862 times
Grassroots Team: Noarlunga

Postby am Bays » Thu Jan 20, 2022 8:13 am

Wedgie wrote:Don't worry about tv coverage, just do what the North supporters did and the Glenelg supporters didn't do. Fly up, watch it and have a party! A great way to spend a weekend! :D

Ha Ha mate me excluded there was a significant cohort of Adelaide based Glenelg supporters up here last year.

Felt like I was back at the Bay based on the familiar faces I saw in eerily similar parts of the ground that they stand in at the Bay.

But yes if your an Eagles suppprter, get up here
am Bays
Coach

Postby DOC » Sat Jan 22, 2022 8:54 am

Woodville-West Torrens will field an inexperienced line-up for Saturday night’s clash with the NTFL All-Stars in Darwin.

Continuing the tradition of the SANFL premier tackling the Northern Territory’s representative side, the Eagles will have only seven premiership players take the field at TIO Stadium from 6.30pm.

Speaking on SANFL Radio, Eagles coach Jade Sheedy said a mixture of key players being injured and isolating within Covid protocols would open up plenty of opportunity for the club’s Reserves and U18 premiership stars to shine.

The Eagles’ Women’s side will have an ideal tune-up under new coach Narelle Smith against the NTFL’s best female players in the curtain-raiser from 4pm.

Sheedy said he was excited for the whole club to head north as both he and Smith mix the Men’s and Women’s programs together this weekend.

Highly-rated teenage midfielder Adam D’Aloia can expect to have minutes inside the centre square as he pushes his claim for a regular League berth while athletic U18 premiership skipper Jordan Lukac will start in attack.

Brisbane Lions recruit Connor Ballenden will begin alongside Lukac in his first outing for the club while West Adelaide signing Mitch Duval will play in defence.

Fellow recruit Jarred Allmond is ruled out with a hamstring strain, while experienced pair Jesse Lonergan (calf) and Matthew Goldsworthy (hamstring) also have soft-tissue complaints.

Jack Oatey Medallist Jack Hayes (St Kilda) and Magarey Medallist James Tsitas (Gold Coast) won’t make the trip north as they are currently training with AFL clubs in the hope of being selected in the SSP before March 9.

Ruckman Seb Guilhaus, who played with Victor Harbor last season, will start at the first bounce in the absence of Jarrad Redden.

Sheedy said he was looking forward to players such as Zane Williams, Mitch Mead, Lachlan Hoile and NTFL experience Dane McFarlane having an early chance to impress in the preseason.
DOC
Coach

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  SANFL