Swimming Pool

Anything!

Swimming Pool

Postby mal » Wed Feb 10, 2010 5:37 pm

Backyard swimming pool
Inbuilt
Salt water

What type should I buy ?
Can I get chlorine free pools , or close to chlorine free ?
Likely costs
How difficult are they to maintain?
How expensive are they to obtain?

Basically I dont mind the idea of having a Pool
But I dont think I wanna be a maintanence man for it

Yes or no ?
mal
Coach

Has liked: 1138 times
Been liked: 892 times

Re: Swimming Pool

Postby mighty_tiger_79 » Wed Feb 10, 2010 5:42 pm

go to the beach or a fitness centre
Matty Wade is a star and deserves more respect from the forum family!
mighty_tiger_79
Coach

Has liked: 11807 times
Been liked: 3582 times

Postby Dog_ger » Wed Feb 10, 2010 5:59 pm

You maintain the pool for the kids.

When they leave home it gets harder.

Then you maintain the pool for the grandkids.

There is nothing better to hear excited laughter and play from children in a well maintained pool.

You also are teaching your family to survive.

Only your fear of maintenance of your pool is stopping you?

Get a POOl Mal, There are times when you will regret it.

There will be times when you say "This is the best thing I have done"

Once you get it right, the pool looks after itself.

I have taught many children to swim in the pool.

Becareful, they all say they can swim... You teach them all how to save each others life.

:) :D
Smile :)

It's only Money $$$ :)

What is happening to our SANFL guys...
Dog_ger
Coach

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 19 times

Postby Booney » Wed Feb 10, 2010 7:35 pm

-$20k get you a nice in-ground pool mal.

-Sand filter not a media ( panel ) filter.

-Automatic acid release - keeps the pH @ about 7.6, just like your skin so you wont go all wrinkly if in there for too long.

-Will need to give it the odd chlorine tablet.

-Keep pool toys out of the pool! Noodles,blow up rings and floaty toys have a massive surface area and are a breeding ground for bacteria. People who have a pool turn green over winter generally have left the hose for the cleaner or a toy in the pool.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7467 times
Been liked: 10755 times

Postby MW » Wed Feb 10, 2010 8:21 pm

I don't mind the maintenance...gets me out of the house. If maintained properly, with regular chlorine (or self chlorinated) then it should be relatively maintenence free.

I have a 70,000 litre chlorine pool with a sand filter. It was there when I bought the house. If I was putting one in new, I would go salt water with self chlorinating.

Also you can get it to self clean these days...not sure how though :?
MW
Coach

Has liked: 2581 times
Been liked: 1822 times

Postby mal » Wed Feb 10, 2010 9:19 pm

www.freeheat.com.au/chlorine-free-water ... ation.html

Chlorine free water purification

For specific reasons I am looking for Chemical free systems
mal
Coach

Has liked: 1138 times
Been liked: 892 times

Postby gossipgirl » Thu Feb 11, 2010 1:46 pm

luckily we have lots of water in this state ;)
Adelaide Crows World champions 2017 - Crows 4.11 to Lions 4.5
gossipgirl
League - Best 21

Has liked: 1425 times
Been liked: 57 times
Grassroots Team: Boston

Postby gadj1976 » Sat Jan 22, 2022 6:48 pm

So I'm a late joiner to the swimming pool membership.

As a small business owner I received a grant from the tax office, in the vicinity of 35k.

Knowing it would be in the 50k range to get a pool, we never considered it. Now we have considered it, given we are North Eastern suburbs and the beach is long way away. So we bit the bullet recently, based upon recommendations from others who have done the same thing. The all said, "the final product is great, but the experience is horrible".

Anyway, we have a pool in the ground, but because of our sloping block, we don't have retaining walls and hence don't have the finished product just yet. This summer has reminded us why we decided us to go with a pool heater - we don't seem to get the Adelaide summers we used to get (or is it just me?)

The thing I wanted to mention here is the shocking communication between the pool companies and the customers. We've been left battling to work through the site management. Now, to be fair, our site manager from the pool company has been isolated and since tested positive for Covid but we haven't had any communication from him at all.

I think the thing that lacks from a customer perspective is the communication and understanding of what steps are involved in putting a pool in. It's a hefty investment, worthy of some communication I would've thought!
gadj1976
Coach

Has liked: 795 times
Been liked: 849 times

Postby Psyber » Sun Jan 23, 2022 12:18 pm

I put a pool in at a house I owned in Prospect years ago, and enjoyed it for a while - about 9 metres by 4.5, depth 2 meters at the shallow end the nearly 4 metre sat the deep end - but it was a lot of work and money for the time I used it. The people who bought the place several years later just let it deteriorate. It was a concrete one in those days and they start to crack up in time.

I'm not sure how well modern non-concrete ones hold up, but I wouldn't do it again.
Much easier to just drive to the beach and much cheaper...

Last week we visited friends at Glenelg and then went to Somerton beach afterwards, and this week did the same at Grange and swam at Henley
EPIGENETICS - Lamarck was right!
Psyber
Coach

Has liked: 103 times
Been liked: 389 times
Grassroots Team: Hahndorf

Postby Kahuna » Sun Jan 23, 2022 12:30 pm

gadj1976 wrote:
The thing I wanted to mention here is the shocking communication between the pool companies and the customers. We've been left battling to work through the site management. Now, to be fair, our site manager from the pool company has been isolated and since tested positive for Covid but we haven't had any communication from him at all.

I think the thing that lacks from a customer perspective is the communication and understanding of what steps are involved in putting a pool in. It's a hefty investment, worthy of some communication I would've thought!

That was pretty much our experience too. "Project Manager" was onsite once, before any work was begun. Never saw or heard from him again.
Any communication came from the office girls, scheduling and such. This info was often wrong and the "wrong" was often my fault apparently.
Contractors were all good though.
Kahuna
League - Top 5

Has liked: 499 times
Been liked: 187 times

Postby Kahuna » Sun Jan 23, 2022 12:35 pm

Psyber wrote:I put a pool in at a house I owned in Prospect years ago, and enjoyed it for a while - about 9 metres by 4.5, depth 2 meters at the shallow end the nearly 4 metre sat the deep end - but it was a lot of work and money for the time I used it.
I'm not sure how well modern non-concrete ones hold up, but I wouldn't do it again.

Modern pool equipment has taken pretty well all of the work out of pools. Filter monitors water quality and adjusts pH and chlorine as required. Multi speed pumps cheaper to run. Robo cleaners have just about eliminated manual vacuuming.
These days just sit back and enjoy!
Kahuna
League - Top 5

Has liked: 499 times
Been liked: 187 times

Postby Psyber » Sun Jan 23, 2022 12:40 pm

Kahuna wrote:
Psyber wrote:I put a pool in at a house I owned in Prospect years ago, and enjoyed it for a while - about 9 metres by 4.5, depth 2 meters at the shallow end the nearly 4 metre sat the deep end - but it was a lot of work and money for the time I used it.

Modern pool equipment has taken pretty well all of the work out of pools. Filter monitors water quality and adjusts pH and chlorine as required. Multi speed pumps cheaper to run. Robo cleaners have just about eliminated manual vacuuming.
These days just sit back and enjoy!

I had a form of robo-cleaner back then too - similar to the Zodiac G2 suction one - it helped a bit.
EPIGENETICS - Lamarck was right!
Psyber
Coach

Has liked: 103 times
Been liked: 389 times
Grassroots Team: Hahndorf

Postby whufc » Sun Jan 23, 2022 1:49 pm

If you need any contacts etc let me know I’ve been managing community pools for ten years now…. Just drop me a message
RIP PH408 63notoutforever
whufc
Coach

Has liked: 5565 times
Been liked: 2519 times
Grassroots Team: BSR

Postby Aerie » Sun Jan 23, 2022 1:55 pm

gadj1976 wrote:So I'm a late joiner to the swimming pool membership.

As a small business owner I received a grant from the tax office, in the vicinity of 35k.

Knowing it would be in the 50k range to get a pool, we never considered it. Now we have considered it, given we are North Eastern suburbs and the beach is long way away. So we bit the bullet recently, based upon recommendations from others who have done the same thing. The all said, "the final product is great, but the experience is horrible".

Anyway, we have a pool in the ground, but because of our sloping block, we don't have retaining walls and hence don't have the finished product just yet. This summer has reminded us why we decided us to go with a pool heater - we don't seem to get the Adelaide summers we used to get (or is it just me?)

Is the grant you mean Job Keeper or is there a specific grant you can apply for to build a pool? I have also pondered having a pool, but the cost and messing around/digging up of the backyard puts me off making the first step.
Aerie
Coach

Has liked: 147 times
Been liked: 503 times

Postby locky801 » Sun Jan 23, 2022 2:38 pm

Bought our inground pool from Freedom pools around 20 years ago, think from memory was about $18k back then

Best investment ever made, gets used all year round thanks to solar heating and being under a pergola and verandah roof.

Not alot to do with maintaining it these days, everythings done for you as pointed out earlier

On that note i'm off for a swim ;)
You cant change your past but you can sure hell shape you future
locky801
Coach

Has liked: 3645 times
Been liked: 1160 times

Postby gadj1976 » Mon Jan 24, 2022 9:08 am

Aerie wrote:
gadj1976 wrote:So I'm a late joiner to the swimming pool membership.

Is the grant you mean Job Keeper or is there a specific grant you can apply for to build a pool? I have also pondered having a pool, but the cost and messing around/digging up of the backyard puts me off making the first step.

It was some plan by the Government to stimulate the economy. It's certainly stimulated the pool industry's economy. They're flat out.
gadj1976
Coach

Has liked: 795 times
Been liked: 849 times

Postby JK » Mon Jan 24, 2022 11:05 am

Kahuna wrote:
gadj1976 wrote:

That was pretty much our experience too. "Project Manager" was onsite once, before any work was begun. Never saw or heard from him again.
Any communication came from the office girls, scheduling and such. This info was often wrong and the "wrong" was often my fault apparently.
Contractors were all good though.

We went through a mob called Rainwise and must admit didn't have any of these issues (thankfully). Salesman was excellent to deal with and never dodged our calls, even after the installation was complete and we'd paid them. We've had a coupla issues over the years, but best thing we ever did was f*** the cartridge filter off and replace with a Sand Filter. We have a great Pool Maintenance bloke who put us onto an excellent device for cleaning the pool and he comes in once a month ($99) and does he thing. Haven't had to spend any time on maintaining it now since the filter swap over.
FUSC
JK
Coach

Has liked: 4438 times
Been liked: 2985 times
Grassroots Team: SMOSH West Lakes

Postby Booney » Mon Jan 24, 2022 12:15 pm

One of the selling points when we put ours in was the salesman telling me he was also the project manager and he'd be on site for every day of works and he was. He was in boots and shorts on the shovel the day they dug the hole, he was on a rope guiding the pool when it was on the crane, he was locking fence together when the temp fence went up and he was there when the water got to a point that I could run the pump. I couldn't have been happier with his service.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby DOC » Mon Jan 24, 2022 12:56 pm

Perhaps name them Boon. That is a great big thumbs up.

Great service is what sorts the wheat from the chaff.
DOC
Coach

Has liked: 723 times
Been liked: 2076 times

Postby Booney » Mon Jan 24, 2022 2:16 pm

Alex from Leisure Pools. Happy to pass his number on if anyone is keen.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Board index   General Talk  General Discussion