I need to know....

Anything!

Re: I need to know....

Postby Lightning McQueen » Tue Jan 25, 2022 1:46 pm

MW wrote:Not sure I rate, sad, unsure on this one...

Got headhunted internally at work to move roles. Told today it's mine if I want it. Don't know salary yet but know it pays a bonus which i don't have already so theres that but expect base salary to be more.

I am risk averse type of person though, so this is stressing me out. I've been told by my boss he wants to keep me so might be a counter offer anyway so either way I can't lose.

Pros:
More money
No more direct reports (sounds f..king great but will this affect my development?)
Change of scenery (been at the same location for near 19 years) - might not get another chance to move.

Cons:
Different job


Challenge is good, embrace change.

There were a few annoyed people when I got my promotion, it wasn't advertised and I went from being 2IC in one department to managing 2.5 departments that merged together.

I had to walk on egg shells for a few weeks and earn the trust and support of who used to be my peers, loving it now, everyone is working well as a team and it seems as though the cancer of the office is leaving us.
HOGG SHIELD DIVISION V WINNER 2018.
User avatar
Lightning McQueen
Coach
 
Posts: 47823
Joined: Mon Mar 03, 2008 9:43 am
Location: Radiator Springs
Has liked: 3913 times
Been liked: 6924 times

Re: I need to know....

Postby Dutchy » Tue Jan 25, 2022 2:09 pm

Trust your gut feel, last year I took on a new role at the same company I've been at for 34 years, best move Ive ever made in that time. New challenge was exactly what I needed.
User avatar
Dutchy
Site Admin
 
 
Posts: 42668
Joined: Sat Nov 05, 2005 8:24 am
Location: Location, Location
Has liked: 1893 times
Been liked: 2884 times

Re: I need to know....

Postby Lightning McQueen » Tue Jan 25, 2022 2:10 pm

What did the Ukraine do to piss off the Russians so much?
HOGG SHIELD DIVISION V WINNER 2018.
User avatar
Lightning McQueen
Coach
 
Posts: 47823
Joined: Mon Mar 03, 2008 9:43 am
Location: Radiator Springs
Has liked: 3913 times
Been liked: 6924 times

Re: I need to know....

Postby Wedgie » Tue Jan 25, 2022 3:08 pm

Lightning McQueen wrote:What did the Ukraine do to piss off the Russians so much?

Became a part of NATO and also long running ethnic issues.
User avatar
Wedgie
Site Admin
 
 
Posts: 48903
Joined: Thu Oct 27, 2005 8:00 am
Has liked: 1645 times
Been liked: 3468 times
Grassroots Team: Noarlunga

Re: I need to know....

Postby Lightning McQueen » Tue Jan 25, 2022 3:19 pm

Wedgie wrote:
Lightning McQueen wrote:What did the Ukraine do to piss off the Russians so much?

Became a part of NATO and also long running ethnic issues.

It has glimpses of George Orwell's 1984 as China is flexing it's muscles in the background of the gym selfie.

With the Yanks getting involved it potentially has some real hostile potential, lucky Trump isn't around as he'd already be dropping bombs.
HOGG SHIELD DIVISION V WINNER 2018.
User avatar
Lightning McQueen
Coach
 
Posts: 47823
Joined: Mon Mar 03, 2008 9:43 am
Location: Radiator Springs
Has liked: 3913 times
Been liked: 6924 times

Re: I need to know....

Postby Booney » Tue Jan 25, 2022 3:21 pm

Lightning McQueen wrote:
MW wrote:Not sure I rate, sad, unsure on this one...

Got headhunted internally at work to move roles. Told today it's mine if I want it. Don't know salary yet but know it pays a bonus which i don't have already so theres that but expect base salary to be more.

I am risk averse type of person though, so this is stressing me out. I've been told by my boss he wants to keep me so might be a counter offer anyway so either way I can't lose.

Pros:
More money
No more direct reports (sounds f..king great but will this affect my development?)
Change of scenery (been at the same location for near 19 years) - might not get another chance to move.

Cons:
Different job


Challenge is good, embrace change.

There were a few annoyed people when I got my promotion, it wasn't advertised and I went from being 2IC in one department to managing 2.5 departments that merged together.

I had to walk on egg shells for a few weeks and earn the trust and support of who used to be my peers, loving it now, everyone is working well as a team and it seems as though the cancer of the office is leaving us.


Left a secure flexible yet negative environment for more positive yet ( at the moment ) less flexible environment and I'd do it again tomorrow.

Challenged myself, took a risk and I'm not looking back.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
User avatar
Booney
Coach
 
 
Posts: 54257
Joined: Thu Oct 27, 2005 1:47 pm
Location: Alberton proud
Has liked: 6421 times
Been liked: 9518 times

Re: I need to know....

Postby locky801 » Tue Jan 25, 2022 3:47 pm

Dutchy wrote:Trust your gut feel, last year I took on a new role at the same company I've been at for 34 years, best move Ive ever made in that time. New challenge was exactly what I needed.


Did the same 11 years ago, left SAPOL where i had been for 33 years and ventured into my own business, have never looked back

was like i was reborn ;)
my team stagnant and on the road to nowhere
User avatar
locky801
Coach
 
Posts: 50280
Joined: Tue Aug 15, 2006 5:11 pm
Location: working all around Australia and loving it
Has liked: 2562 times
Been liked: 818 times

Re: I need to know....

Postby Wedgie » Tue Jan 25, 2022 4:00 pm

Yep agreed with everyone else, left my public service career of 28 years to do something completely different and it's the best thing I've ever done.
Mind you it's hard not to be happy as I'm only working one day a week atm! :lol:
User avatar
Wedgie
Site Admin
 
 
Posts: 48903
Joined: Thu Oct 27, 2005 8:00 am
Has liked: 1645 times
Been liked: 3468 times
Grassroots Team: Noarlunga

Re: I need to know....

Postby Vamos » Tue Jan 25, 2022 8:00 pm

Lightning McQueen wrote:What did the Ukraine do to piss off the Russians so much?


They gave Putin a chicken snitty with butter, garlic and herbs inside.
Whoops, there goes another year. Whoops, there goes another pint of beer.
Vamos
League Bench Warmer
 
Posts: 1003
Joined: Sat Aug 28, 2021 12:55 am
Has liked: 105 times
Been liked: 149 times
Grassroots Team: North Haven

Re: I need to know....

Postby Armchair expert » Tue Jan 25, 2022 8:04 pm

Lightning McQueen wrote:What did the Ukraine do to piss off the Russians so much?


Reverse the roles of the Cuban Missile crisis
Darcy Fogarty Fan Club Member
User avatar
Armchair expert
Coach
 
 
Posts: 6694
Joined: Tue May 15, 2018 9:18 am
Has liked: 306 times
Been liked: 822 times
Grassroots Team: Ports

Re: I need to know....

Postby MW » Thu Jan 27, 2022 7:57 am

I bought a new TV recently, so moved my old TV to another room. That old TV has not missed a beat in 12 years, but ever since I moved it, it is switching itself off and on all the time, sometimes it will be ok for a while, then other days it would switch off and on repeatedly and not power up.

Google tells me it's likely a capacitor, but why moving it from one room to another would cause that? Disturbing it when I moved it?

Other things on google is humid weather can cause it, and maybe it being in a different room environment might cause it?

Anyone ever had this before?
MW
Coach
 
 
Posts: 11829
Joined: Wed Nov 30, 2005 8:55 pm
Has liked: 2191 times
Been liked: 1566 times

Re: I need to know....

Postby stan » Thu Jan 27, 2022 8:10 am

Armchair expert wrote:
Lightning McQueen wrote:What did the Ukraine do to piss off the Russians so much?


Reverse the roles of the Cuban Missile crisis
It's simpler than that. These days a 12 year old TV is considered pretty old.

As you suggested it, by moving it you have disturbed it a bit. Possibly some of the circuits were already at a point and the movement us just upset these. Possibly a capacity, there are so many items on printed circuit boards it could be a number of things.
Read my reply. It is directed at you because you have double standards
User avatar
stan
Coach
 
 
Posts: 14556
Joined: Thu Oct 27, 2005 8:53 am
Location: North Eastern Suburbs
Has liked: 88 times
Been liked: 1150 times
Grassroots Team: Goodwood Saints

Re: I need to know....

Postby MW » Thu Jan 27, 2022 8:33 am

Cheers Stan. It's about 12 years old actually...
MW
Coach
 
 
Posts: 11829
Joined: Wed Nov 30, 2005 8:55 pm
Has liked: 2191 times
Been liked: 1566 times

Re: I need to know....

Postby mighty_tiger_79 » Thu Jan 27, 2022 9:31 am

The room is haunted...

Sent from my SM-G781B using Tapatalk
Matty Wade is a star and deserves more respect from the forum family!
User avatar
mighty_tiger_79
Coach
 
Posts: 52500
Joined: Tue Jan 03, 2006 7:29 pm
Location: at the TAB
Has liked: 10463 times
Been liked: 2952 times

Re: I need to know....

Postby mickey » Thu Jan 27, 2022 9:47 am

stan wrote:
Armchair expert wrote:
Lightning McQueen wrote:What did the Ukraine do to piss off the Russians so much?


Reverse the roles of the Cuban Missile crisis
It's simpler than that. These days a 12 year old TV is considered pretty old.

As you suggested it, by moving it you have disturbed it a bit. Possibly some of the circuits were already at a point and the movement us just upset these. Possibly a capacity, there are so many items on printed circuit boards it could be a number of things.


If moving a TV is grounds for war then we are in big trouble
User avatar
mickey
Coach
 
 
Posts: 5522
Joined: Tue Sep 19, 2006 8:54 pm
Location: Playing Poker
Has liked: 124 times
Been liked: 242 times
Grassroots Team: Seaton Ramblers

Re: I need to know....

Postby Booney » Thu Jan 27, 2022 10:26 am

MW wrote:I bought a new TV recently, so moved my old TV to another room. That old TV has not missed a beat in 12 years, but ever since I moved it, it is switching itself off and on all the time, sometimes it will be ok for a while, then other days it would switch off and on repeatedly and not power up.

Google tells me it's likely a capacitor, but why moving it from one room to another would cause that? Disturbing it when I moved it?

Other things on google is humid weather can cause it, and maybe it being in a different room environment might cause it?

Anyone ever had this before?


It would have a start and a run capacitor, the run may have lost it's charge.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
User avatar
Booney
Coach
 
 
Posts: 54257
Joined: Thu Oct 27, 2005 1:47 pm
Location: Alberton proud
Has liked: 6421 times
Been liked: 9518 times

Re: I need to know....

Postby Psyber » Thu Jan 27, 2022 1:18 pm

stan wrote:
Armchair expert wrote:
Lightning McQueen wrote:What did the Ukraine do to piss off the Russians so much?


Reverse the roles of the Cuban Missile crisis
It's simpler than that. These days a 12 year old TV is considered pretty old.

As you suggested it, by moving it you have disturbed it a bit. Possibly some of the circuits were already at a point and the movement us just upset these. Possibly a capacity, there are so many items on printed circuit boards it could be a number of things.

My 2009 vintage 55" Panasonic Plasma TV is still working fine even after moving house with it. So is my 2002 vintage wide double door Westinghouse fridge which now lives in the garage as a drinks and frozen food repository. Neither has ever put a foot wrong.

I do have a new Sony smart TV as well in a different room. (My wife and I don't always agree to watch the same shows.)
I also had to buy a new slimmer fridge to fit in the kitchen of the new house when we moved in.
EPIGENETICS - Lamarck was right!
User avatar
Psyber
Coach
 
 
Posts: 12127
Joined: Mon Mar 13, 2006 10:43 pm
Location: Now back in the Adelaide Hills.
Has liked: 98 times
Been liked: 347 times
Grassroots Team: Hahndorf

Re: I need to know....

Postby stan » Thu Jan 27, 2022 1:28 pm

mickey wrote:
stan wrote:
Armchair expert wrote:
Lightning McQueen wrote:What did the Ukraine do to piss off the Russians so much?


Reverse the roles of the Cuban Missile crisis
It's simpler than that. These days a 12 year old TV is considered pretty old.

As you suggested it, by moving it you have disturbed it a bit. Possibly some of the circuits were already at a point and the movement us just upset these. Possibly a capacity, there are so many items on printed circuit boards it could be a number of things.


If moving a TV is grounds for war then we are in big trouble
Hahha quoted the wrong one
Read my reply. It is directed at you because you have double standards
User avatar
stan
Coach
 
 
Posts: 14556
Joined: Thu Oct 27, 2005 8:53 am
Location: North Eastern Suburbs
Has liked: 88 times
Been liked: 1150 times
Grassroots Team: Goodwood Saints

Re: I need to know....

Postby MW » Thu Jan 27, 2022 8:57 pm

Booney wrote:
MW wrote:I bought a new TV recently, so moved my old TV to another room. That old TV has not missed a beat in 12 years, but ever since I moved it, it is switching itself off and on all the time, sometimes it will be ok for a while, then other days it would switch off and on repeatedly and not power up.

Google tells me it's likely a capacitor, but why moving it from one room to another would cause that? Disturbing it when I moved it?

Other things on google is humid weather can cause it, and maybe it being in a different room environment might cause it?

Anyone ever had this before?


It would have a start and a run capacitor, the run may have lost it's charge.


Yeah thanks mate, easy enough to fix u reckon? I hear the part is cheap but labour puts it over $100
MW
Coach
 
 
Posts: 11829
Joined: Wed Nov 30, 2005 8:55 pm
Has liked: 2191 times
Been liked: 1566 times

Re: I need to know....

Postby Wedgie » Tue Feb 01, 2022 2:42 pm

What are the prices of drinks at The District in the casino. Haven't been there since it's been redeveloped.
Trying to work out if it's worth forking out $80 for a 4 hour drinks package or not.
User avatar
Wedgie
Site Admin
 
 
Posts: 48903
Joined: Thu Oct 27, 2005 8:00 am
Has liked: 1645 times
Been liked: 3468 times
Grassroots Team: Noarlunga

PreviousNext

Board index   General Talk  General Discussion

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: gazzamagoo and 3 guests