Things that give you the sh1ts

Anything!

Re: Things that give you the sh1ts

Postby MW » Fri Jan 28, 2022 12:29 pm

gadj1976 wrote:AFL teams/clubs trying to be politically correct. It leads into a mire of controversy and issues that I'm sure they're not prepared for.

I think it's been nothing but positive from all involved
MW
Coach

Has liked: 2567 times
Been liked: 1811 times

Postby Booney » Fri Jan 28, 2022 12:32 pm

MW wrote:
gadj1976 wrote:AFL teams/clubs trying to be politically correct. It leads into a mire of controversy and issues that I'm sure they're not prepared for.

I think it's been nothing but positive from all involved

Absolutely, clubs represent communities far better than almost every politician does.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7450 times
Been liked: 10717 times

Postby Lightning McQueen » Fri Jan 28, 2022 12:47 pm

I disengage from the Australia Day debate, I don't want to feel guilty celebrating a day that was always a special one growing up.

I now use it to catch up on some crap around the house, it has lost it's appeal and prestige.

I don't have the answer.
HOGG SHIELD DIVISION V WINNER 2018.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Has liked: 4336 times
Been liked: 7884 times

Postby Corona Man » Fri Jan 28, 2022 1:13 pm

Lightning McQueen wrote:I disengage from the Australia Day debate, I don't want to feel guilty celebrating a day that was always a special one growing up.

I now use it to catch up on some crap around the house, it has lost it's appeal and prestige.

I don't have the answer.

I’m much the same on this topic.

Played golf had a few beers & chilled out.

It’s a shame the day has become as divisive as it has.

I can see both sides. I don’t have a solution either.
1961, 1971, 1976, 1978, 1983, 1986, 1988, 1989, 1991, 2008, 2013, 2014, 2015.... And don't you forget it!
Corona Man
Coach

Has liked: 1270 times
Been liked: 3454 times
Grassroots Team: Echunga

Postby whufc » Fri Jan 28, 2022 1:30 pm

Lightning McQueen wrote:I disengage from the Australia Day debate, I don't want to feel guilty celebrating a day that was always a special one growing up.

I don't have the answer.

Yeah same....Australia Day used to be my favourite day of the year to celebrate my love of beer, bbq, cricket, pool/beach, music and women in bikinis. There nearly all gone now..no more cricket or music on Aussie Day and well as I reach my 40's women there is not as many women in bikinis attracted to me :lol: :lol:

Personally I would just love it moved to the first Monday of February as an example so then it isn't on an exact date as it would change each year. Then we can go about celebrating green and gold, bbq, kangaroos, boomerangs and wife beater singlets and we can **** any relevance to captain cook right off. Not that I think about any of that historic stuff on the day.
RIP PH408 63notoutforever
whufc
Coach

Has liked: 5551 times
Been liked: 2513 times
Grassroots Team: BSR

Postby Lightning McQueen » Fri Jan 28, 2022 1:37 pm

Corona Man wrote:

I don't have the answer.

I’m much the same on this topic.

Played golf had a few beers & chilled out.

It’s a shame the day has become as divisive as it has.

I can see both sides. I don’t have a solution either.

I too can understand both sides, my ex has indigenous children and they were divided on the day whereas she would go all out on it with food, music, celebrating etc, me not so much, depending on which day of the week it landed on.

This year though I had just planned on a couple of quiet ones on Tuesday evening when a friend came round around 8:30pm and we kicked on til God knows when, I got as pissed as a cricket, surface around noon and she had already bailed by then so Australia Day was a non event for me.

The Reepham put on a decent day by the looks of the photo's I was getting sent all afternoon but I was quite happy to just have the day off.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Postby Lightning McQueen » Fri Jan 28, 2022 1:40 pm

whufc wrote:

I don't have the answer.

Yeah same....Australia Day used to be my favourite day of the year to celebrate my love of beer, bbq, cricket, pool/beach, music and women in bikinis. There nearly all gone now..no more cricket or music on Aussie Day and well as I reach my 40's women there is not as many women in bikinis attracted to me :lol: :lol:

Personally I would just love it moved to the first Monday of February as an example so then it isn't on an exact date as it would change each year. Then we can go about celebrating green and gold, bbq, kangaroos, boomerangs and wife beater singlets and we can **** any relevance to captain cook right off. Not that I think about any of that historic stuff on the day.

Yeah, some interesting "Aussie" points there, I don't think about Captain Cook at all on Australia Day, it was always more of Gangajang, Paul Kelly, John Willaimson and Schoumann, as kids we'd listen to Aussie anthems all day while the cricket was on, sometimes we got to go, then there was Skyshow on for the afternoon/evening.

Times have changed.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Postby scottroo » Fri Jan 28, 2022 3:06 pm

People dumb enough to crash into you and drive off, while in their work shirt and a ute with customised plates….
scottroo
League - Best 21

Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 172 times
Grassroots Team: Colonel Light Gardens

Postby Gosaints » Fri Jan 28, 2022 3:16 pm

the crowds at the beach on Australia Day when I just want to walk my dog there like I do everyday!
Gosaints
Rookie

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 10 times
Grassroots Team: Glenunga

Postby Pseudo » Fri Jan 28, 2022 8:01 pm

Lightning McQueen wrote:
whufc wrote:

I don't have the answer.

Yeah, some interesting "Aussie" points there, I don't think about Captain Cook at all on Australia Day, it was always more of Gangajang, Paul Kelly, John Willaimson and Schoumann, as kids we'd listen to Aussie anthems all day while the cricket was on, sometimes we got to go, then there was Skyshow on for the afternoon/evening.

Times have changed.

Australia Day has nothing to do with Captain Cook. Just sayin'.
Clowns OUT. Smears OUT. RESIST THE OCCUPATION.
Pseudo
Coach

Been liked: 1553 times
Grassroots Team: Marion

Postby whufc » Fri Jan 28, 2022 10:43 pm

Which is further evidence of how little the historic reference is to me celebrating the day :lol:
RIP PH408 63notoutforever
whufc
Coach

Has liked: 5551 times
Been liked: 2513 times
Grassroots Team: BSR

Postby Psyber » Sat Jan 29, 2022 11:42 am

My understanding is that Australia Day celebrates the formation of the one country when all the states agreed to form the national federation.

On that basis it is not a celebration of Cook's finding our east coast nor a celebration of colonisation. ​I don't think it was the date itself is a big deal and I would be happy to shift it a little and rename it Federation Day. We could then create another date to celebrate our moving away from the past and seeking reconciliation between the white arrivals and the people here before us, as has been done before by mixed populations in other places.

I don't think we should focus on "invasion" - as invasion is commonplace, and always has been, as people moved around after leaving our African source millions of years ago. My own Celtic ancestors came out of the east across northern Italy and southern France into Britain, an were subsequently invaded there by Franks, Angles, Saxons, and later by Normans who were basically tribesmen from what later became Denmark and Norway. We don't even know if there were other people in Britain before the Celts arrived, but I tend to think there must have been.
EPIGENETICS - Lamarck was right!
Psyber
Coach

Has liked: 103 times
Been liked: 389 times
Grassroots Team: Hahndorf

Postby jo172 » Sat Jan 29, 2022 11:53 am

Psyber wrote:My understanding is that Australia Day celebrates the formation of the one country when all the states agreed to form the national federation. .

... That would be the first of January

Agree with what's further above, just make it the first monday in February and be done with it.

It's like gay marriage in that the winds of progress are so self-evidently pushing in a direction that it will be changed eventually, putting a stick in the ground about something no one is really that attached to just to delay what's going to happen a little bit further is a waste of energy, and evidently hurtful to at least some of your fellow Australians.
jo172
League - Top 5

Has liked: 1197 times
Been liked: 724 times

Postby Wedgie » Sat Jan 29, 2022 12:48 pm

jo172 wrote:
Psyber wrote:My understanding is that Australia Day celebrates the formation of the one country when all the states agreed to form the national federation. .

Agree with what's further above, just make it the first monday in February and be done with it.

It's like gay marriage in that the winds of progress are so self-evidently pushing in a direction that it will be changed eventually, putting a stick in the ground about something no one is really that attached to just to delay what's going to happen a little bit further is a waste of energy, and evidently hurtful to at least some of your fellow Australians.

This.
I was suprised Psyber didn't know Jan 1 was Federation Day.
I've never been so disappointed with you Psyber!
Wedgie
Site Admin

Has liked: 2009 times
Been liked: 3846 times
Grassroots Team: Noarlunga

Postby mighty_tiger_79 » Sat Jan 29, 2022 12:50 pm

Had a brief discussion at work prior to the public holiday and Federation Day came up, but then we'd lose the day off as it coincides with New Years Day....

Sent from my SM-G781B using Tapatalk
Matty Wade is a star and deserves more respect from the forum family!
mighty_tiger_79
Coach

Has liked: 11781 times
Been liked: 3577 times

Postby Wedgie » Sat Jan 29, 2022 1:05 pm

mighty_tiger_79 wrote:Had a brief discussion at work prior to the public holiday and Federation Day came up, but then we'd lose the day off as it coincides with New Years Day....

Sent from my SM-G781B using Tapatalk

Make Jan 1 a double banger and have an extra public holiday celebrating both Proclomation Day and Boxing Day which are shared atm.
Problem solvered.
Wedgie
Site Admin

Has liked: 2009 times
Been liked: 3846 times
Grassroots Team: Noarlunga

Postby Dinglinga75 » Sat Jan 29, 2022 1:45 pm

what If Jan 1st becomes Federation Day scrap Australia Day and June 3rd becomes Mabo Day ( Indigenous Peoples Day )
Dinglinga75
Under 16s

Been liked: 64 times
Grassroots Team: Salisbury

Postby jo172 » Sat Jan 29, 2022 3:50 pm

Mabo Day and Sorry Day have obvious symbolic attraction, but a public holiday in late January has greater appeal.

My suggestion, sack the Queen's birthday as a concept, replace it with Mabo Day. (also can just have the public holiday on the nearest Monday, separate Mabo Day and the Mabo Day Holiday conceptually)

Rename New Years Day Federation Day

Public holiday to be named by someone more clever on the last weekend in January being usually the Monday, but if this falls on the 26th, have it on the Friday.
jo172
League - Top 5

Has liked: 1197 times
Been liked: 724 times

Postby Dinglinga75 » Sat Jan 29, 2022 5:44 pm

jo172 wrote:Mabo Day and Sorry Day have obvious symbolic attraction, but a public holiday in late January has greater appeal.

My suggestion, sack the Queen's birthday as a concept, replace it with Mabo Day. (also can just have the public holiday on the nearest Monday, separate Mabo Day and the Mabo Day Holiday conceptually)

Rename New Years Day Federation Day

Public holiday to be named by someone more clever on the last weekend in January being usually the Monday, but if this falls on the 26th, have it on the Friday.

Agree, piss the queen holiday off.. not even her birthday
Dinglinga75
Under 16s

Been liked: 64 times
Grassroots Team: Salisbury

Postby Psyber » Sat Jan 29, 2022 7:10 pm

jo172 wrote:

I'd never paid it much attention really...
I'd sort of assumed the day was chosen to celebrate the federation because NY Day was already set up.
I looked it up just now and I see it was celebrating the arrival in NSW.
Probably a good reason to scrap it and set up a Federation Day and Mabo Day as others have suggested.

But I guess I'm barely Australian as my father was born here very soon after his folk arrived from Cornwall, and my mother grew up in Sheffield - well outside Sheffield in the Bole Hills as it was before Sheffield grew.
EPIGENETICS - Lamarck was right!
Psyber
Coach

Has liked: 103 times
Been liked: 389 times
Grassroots Team: Hahndorf

PreviousNext

Board index   General Talk  General Discussion