SANFL 2022 Season

All discussions to do with the SANFL

Re: SANFL 2022 Season

Postby DOC » Wed Feb 16, 2022 9:20 am

Hamish Hartlett reveals his complete lack of understanding about what our clubs are playing for this year. Hint. It's not so players can be used by other clubs to help them and destroy their actual clubs chances.

A former Port Adelaide star has backed the idea of state-league footballers covering mass coronavirus absences in the AFL, saying SANFL players will view it as a huge opportunity.

The AFL has discussed creating a pool of second-tier talent to help Covid-hit clubs fill sides this year and ex-Power vice-captain Hamish Hartlett will put his hand up if it goes ahead.

Hartlett, who played 193 games for the Power, returned to his junior team West Adelaide after being delisted in September.

The 31-year-old said a Covid replacement pool would provide another avenue for state-league players to realise their AFL dreams, which was good for the game.

“I’d say it would be unlikely for anyone to really require top-up players but who knows what can happen, Covid spreads very, very quickly,” Hartlett told News Corp.

“Anyone that considers themselves good enough to play at AFL level should be going in with a really open mind this season because as we’ve seen in other competitions in various other sports, opportunities can arise from nowhere, so you need to be prepared for that.

“The reality is there’s a lot of guys running around the SANFL who grew up with the dream of wanting to play AFL football.

“That’s not going to be a reality for everyone to be able to do that but if there’s a glimmer of hope that’s a chance of happening, I think any SANFL player would jump at that opportunity.

“My main focus at the moment is keeping fit, staying fit and playing good football with West Adelaide, but with the right preparation under my belt to be able to perform at AFL level should that call come.

“Clearly there’d be some logistics to work through from the lower levels with the AFL about how they’re likely going to be compensated or with other players.”

Hartlett believed each SANFL club had at least two or three players capable of filling holes on AFL lists.

“They’re not going to go out and play in the midfield and dominate – I don’t think anyone’s expecting that to happen,” he said.

“But it might mean being thrown in a back pocket or forward pocket, or on a wing and getting to play a pretty basic and general role.”

Hartlett, who had an injury-hampered 2021, would relish another AFL chance.

But he said seeing young players receive an opportunity out of the blue was more exciting.

“Having stepped out of the (AFL) system for a pretty short period of time, you kind of understand how good it is and enjoyable it is to be involved and how privileged you are to play in those types of games,” he said.

Hartlett said having five or six players plucked mid-year to join an AFL pool would be a good look for the SANFL.

“Is it fair on the clubs individually? Probably not,” he said.

“But on the same token, I think clubs would be super encouraging of their players to get that opportunity.

“It’s something (SANFL) clubs, even now, will have to start wrapping their heads around.”

Hartlett said building squad depth would help state-league clubs handle losing quality players during the minor round.

Even if a top-up pool was not introduced, state-league stars like Hartlett could be recruited in the mid-season rookie draft.

“I’ll try to play good footy at the start of the year and we’ll see where things go from there,” he said.
DOC
Coach

Has liked: 723 times
Been liked: 2076 times

Postby whybother » Wed Feb 16, 2022 10:44 am

This is why I get rather sad when "good" SANFL players get "promoted" to the AFL to end up playing a fringe role, or in the VFL. The SANFL club officials all seem keen on them going, all for the players good I suppose, but never seem to reflect on how it affects their own planning etc for their club's season.

Their attitude cements the idea that the SANFL is a second tier comp, with the purpose of propping up the AFL.
whybother
Under 16s

Has liked: 108 times
Been liked: 97 times

Postby Backman » Wed Feb 16, 2022 11:16 am

Hamish might have a different view if Westies are battling for a finals spot and West lose a couple of players to the top up pool, but he is left in the SANFL
This will be the reality for 99% of SANFL players!!
Backman
Mini-League

Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 15 times

Postby Dutchy » Wed Feb 16, 2022 2:31 pm

whybother wrote:This is why I get rather sad when "good" SANFL players get "promoted" to the AFL to end up playing a fringe role, or in the VFL. The SANFL club officials all seem keen on them going, all for the players good I suppose, but never seem to reflect on how it affects their own planning etc for their club's season.

Their attitude cements the idea that the SANFL is a second tier comp, with the purpose of propping up the AFL.

Its a pretty old school view - imagine if the comp wasn't seen as an avenue to the AFL, we would have no recruits and it would be around Div 1 Ammo standard, being a genuine pathway to the AFL helps the comp more than it hinders it IMO.
Dutchy
Site Admin

Has liked: 2311 times
Been liked: 3482 times

Postby am Bays » Wed Feb 16, 2022 3:06 pm

DOC wrote:Hamish Hartlett reveals his complete lack of understanding about what our clubs are playing for this year. Hint. It's not so players can be used by other clubs to help them and destroy their actual clubs chances.

A former Port Adelaide star has backed the idea of state-league footballers covering mass coronavirus absences in the AFL, saying SANFL players will view it as a huge opportunity.

The AFL has discussed creating a pool of second-tier talent to help Covid-hit clubs fill sides this year and ex-Power vice-captain Hamish Hartlett will put his hand up if it goes ahead.

Hartlett, who played 193 games for the Power, returned to his junior team West Adelaide after being delisted in September.

The 31-year-old said a Covid replacement pool would provide another avenue for state-league players to realise their AFL dreams, which was good for the game.

“I’d say it would be unlikely for anyone to really require top-up players but who knows what can happen, Covid spreads very, very quickly,” Hartlett told News Corp.

“Anyone that considers themselves good enough to play at AFL level should be going in with a really open mind this season because as we’ve seen in other competitions in various other sports, opportunities can arise from nowhere, so you need to be prepared for that.

“The reality is there’s a lot of guys running around the SANFL who grew up with the dream of wanting to play AFL football.

“That’s not going to be a reality for everyone to be able to do that but if there’s a glimmer of hope that’s a chance of happening, I think any SANFL player would jump at that opportunity.

“My main focus at the moment is keeping fit, staying fit and playing good football with West Adelaide, but with the right preparation under my belt to be able to perform at AFL level should that call come.

“Clearly there’d be some logistics to work through from the lower levels with the AFL about how they’re likely going to be compensated or with other players.”

Hartlett believed each SANFL club had at least two or three players capable of filling holes on AFL lists.

“They’re not going to go out and play in the midfield and dominate – I don’t think anyone’s expecting that to happen,” he said.

“But it might mean being thrown in a back pocket or forward pocket, or on a wing and getting to play a pretty basic and general role.”

Hartlett, who had an injury-hampered 2021, would relish another AFL chance.

But he said seeing young players receive an opportunity out of the blue was more exciting.

“Having stepped out of the (AFL) system for a pretty short period of time, you kind of understand how good it is and enjoyable it is to be involved and how privileged you are to play in those types of games,” he said.

Hartlett said having five or six players plucked mid-year to join an AFL pool would be a good look for the SANFL.

“Is it fair on the clubs individually? Probably not,” he said.

“But on the same token, I think clubs would be super encouraging of their players to get that opportunity.

“It’s something (SANFL) clubs, even now, will have to start wrapping their heads around.”

Hartlett said building squad depth would help state-league clubs handle losing quality players during the minor round.

Even if a top-up pool was not introduced, state-league stars like Hartlett could be recruited in the mid-season rookie draft.

“I’ll try to play good footy at the start of the year and we’ll see where things go from there,” he said.
Attachments
FC20AAB6-ACBF-4313-89B4-348C349E3921.jpeg
FC20AAB6-ACBF-4313-89B4-348C349E3921.jpeg (98.22 KiB) Viewed 2754 times
Let that be a lesson to you Port, no one beats the Bays five times in a row in a GF and gets away with it!!!
am Bays
Coach

Has liked: 162 times
Been liked: 1804 times

Postby Dogs64 » Wed Feb 16, 2022 4:17 pm

whybother wrote:This is why I get rather sad when "good" SANFL players get "promoted" to the AFL to end up playing a fringe role, or in the VFL. The SANFL club officials all seem keen on them going, all for the players good I suppose, but never seem to reflect on how it affects their own planning etc for their club's season.

There used to be a player retention scheme established by the SANFL to retain players potentially good enough to play in the VFL. It was utilised to try to maintain a good standard in the SANFL. Then clubs didn't want to lose players to the VFL (though it was considered a "better" standard), and that was at the start of a year not half way through. Half way through the year can completely destabilise a club and its finals hopes, thus also impacting the bottom line. The people that care about the SANFL, care about their clubs performance predominantly, selfish or not they're probably not that excited about a key player being lost to the AFL (particularly part way through a season).
Dogs64
Under 16s

Has liked: 309 times
Been liked: 177 times

Postby whufc » Wed Feb 16, 2022 4:43 pm

Backman wrote:Hamish might have a different view if Westies are battling for a finals spot and West lose a couple of players to the top up pool, but he is left in the SANFL

My mail is if by June Hamish doesn’t believe he could get on an AFL list he will most likely be seen at Eudunda /Robertsown with his brother and Chris Schmidt.
RIP PH408 63notoutforever
whufc
Coach

Has liked: 5564 times
Been liked: 2519 times
Grassroots Team: BSR

Postby Pseudo » Wed Feb 16, 2022 7:25 pm

A recent ex-AFL being used to spruik propaganda by the local media in direct service of the AFL.

Business as normal. Move on, nothing novel to see here.
Clowns OUT. Smears OUT. RESIST THE OCCUPATION.
Pseudo
Coach

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 1553 times
Grassroots Team: Marion

Postby Dutchy » Wed Feb 16, 2022 9:06 pm

whufc wrote:
Backman wrote:Hamish might have a different view if Westies are battling for a finals spot and West lose a couple of players to the top up pool, but he is left in the SANFL

My mail is if by June Hamish doesn’t believe he could get on an AFL list he will most likely be seen at Eudunda /Robertsown with his brother and Chris Schmidt.

Adam? he is assistant at West, so he will leave also?
Dutchy
Site Admin

Postby whufc » Wed Feb 16, 2022 9:31 pm

Dutchy wrote:
whufc wrote:

His signed to play for Eudunda as well already when time allows.

Eudunda have left a shit load of points on the table as it stands right now and potential cap space so believe there is a solid foundation in the rumour.
RIP PH408 63notoutforever
whufc
Coach

Has liked: 5564 times
Been liked: 2519 times
Grassroots Team: BSR

Postby Dutchy » Thu Feb 17, 2022 7:13 am

Not sure he will leave his job to go play country footy with mates
Dutchy
Site Admin

Postby Brodlach » Thu Feb 17, 2022 7:49 am

Dutchy wrote:
whufc wrote:

Adam will only play when West doesn’t have a game, same as he has done for the past two years

I doubt Hamish will quit his job to play half a season in the country, hearing he really enjoys his job
July 11th 2012....
Brodlach wrote:Rory Laird might end up the best IMO, he is an absolute jet. He has been in great form at the Bloods
Brodlach
Coach

Has liked: 72 times
Been liked: 4206 times
Grassroots Team: Colonel Light Gardens

Postby jet-airport » Fri Feb 18, 2022 10:15 am

Gday all,

For the Russell Ebert game in Loxton will a standard SANFL pass get us into this game?
I'm Not a Port or West Member, what will crowd be capped at we think?.

Cheers
jet-airport
Rookie

Has liked: 34 times
Grassroots Team: Reynella

Postby DOC » Fri Feb 18, 2022 12:15 pm

jet-airport wrote:Gday all,

For the Russell Ebert game in Loxton will a standard SANFL pass get us into this game?

Cheers

I am not sure what a standard SANFL pass is.
DOC
Coach

Has liked: 723 times
Been liked: 2076 times

Postby Spargo » Fri Feb 18, 2022 1:30 pm

DOC wrote:

Cheers

I am not sure what a standard SANFL pass is.

One below the premium pass.
2017 safooty NFL tipping champ

Don’t lose your grip on the dreams of the past
You must fight just to keep them alive...
Spargo
Coach

Has liked: 5454 times
Been liked: 5089 times
Grassroots Team: Sacred Heart OC

Postby tkr » Fri Feb 18, 2022 8:31 pm

Cheers

From what I have been told if you have a Westies home game pass or a Port season pass they will get you in.
tkr
Rookie

Has liked: 160 times
Been liked: 19 times

Postby jet-airport » Mon Feb 21, 2022 10:27 am

tkr wrote:

Cheers

From what I have been told if you have a Westies home game pass or a Port season pass they will get you in.

Cheers! All
jet-airport
Rookie

Has liked: 34 times
Grassroots Team: Reynella

Postby PatowalongaPirate » Mon Feb 21, 2022 8:59 pm

Glenelg have extended Brett Hand's contract until end of 2023.
safooty Melbourne Cup Day Tipping Champion 2018 & 2019 #Back2Back
2018 safooty NFL Tipping Champion
PatowalongaPirate
2022 SA Footy Punter of the Year

Has liked: 444 times
Been liked: 1205 times
Grassroots Team: Sacred Heart OC

Postby bulldogproud » Tue Feb 22, 2022 10:01 am

PatowalongaPirate wrote:Glenelg have extended Brett Hand's contract until end of 2023.

That is Handy; I bet the extension didn't cost an arm and a leg either.
A Bulldog in winter; a WTDCC Eagle and OICC Wolf in Summer!
bulldogproud
League - Top 5

Has liked: 489 times
Been liked: 401 times
Grassroots Team: Imperials

Postby gazzamagoo » Tue Feb 22, 2022 10:51 am

bulldogproud wrote:
PatowalongaPirate wrote:Glenelg have extended Brett Hand's contract until end of 2023.

That is Handy; I bet the extension didn't cost an arm and a leg either.

He's sure to make a fist of it too.
gazzamagoo
League - Top 5

Has liked: 1656 times
Been liked: 643 times
Grassroots Team: Salisbury

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  SANFL