SANFL 2022 Season

All discussions to do with the SANFL

Re: SANFL 2022 Season

Postby gazzamagoo » Tue Feb 22, 2022 10:52 am

He'll knuckle down now, in readiness for this coming season.
gazzamagoo
League - Top 5

Has liked: 1656 times
Been liked: 643 times
Grassroots Team: Salisbury

Postby gazzamagoo » Tue Feb 22, 2022 10:54 am

I'm sure he won't thumb his nose at the coaching position.
gazzamagoo
League - Top 5

Postby gazzamagoo » Tue Feb 22, 2022 10:55 am

Just needs to nail a few more recruits!
gazzamagoo
League - Top 5

Postby Hazydog » Tue Feb 22, 2022 10:57 am

After the GF loss he’ll need to pull his finger out..
Players win touches, Teams win matches, Clubs win Premierships.
Hazydog
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 116 times
Been liked: 191 times

Postby gazzamagoo » Tue Feb 22, 2022 12:24 pm

Hazydog wrote:After the GF loss he’ll need to pull his finger out..

Exactly! And if he doesn't succeed, they might palm him off.
gazzamagoo
League - Top 5

Postby Doddy » Tue Feb 22, 2022 12:47 pm

Joe Blow could do a better job.
Doddy
Rookie

Has liked: 31 times
Been liked: 30 times
Grassroots Team: Golden Grove

Postby Wedgie » Tue Feb 22, 2022 12:59 pm

Doddy wrote:Joe Blow could do a better job.

Paul Thomas couldn't though. :lol:
Wedgie
Site Admin

Has liked: 2024 times
Been liked: 3868 times
Grassroots Team: Noarlunga

Postby Hazydog » Tue Feb 22, 2022 6:11 pm

From C.D.F.C….
As you know, we are scheduled to play the Adelaide Crows at Adelaide Oval on the weekend of 13 August. There is no doubt our players and coaches are all excited at being given the opportunity to play at the Adelaide Oval, when the news emerged there was certainly an air of excitement around this match among the group.

Whilst we will work through the ticketing process with the Adelaide Oval, we can confirm that all CDFC ticketed members (2022 home match and season ticket holders) will be provided with entry tickets for the match, and we’ll confirm that process when we get closer to the date.

Giving up a home match is always a difficult decision, but we believe the opportunity for our players, coaches, members and supporters to experience the excitement of watching the Bulldogs playing at Adelaide Oval was something we thought added to our match programming for 2022. We are looking to do something similar in 2023 when we hope to get the opportunity to play a League match in our country zone.
Hazydog
League Bench Warmer

Postby Jim05 » Tue Feb 22, 2022 6:17 pm

Hazydog wrote:From C.D.F.C….
As you know, we are scheduled to play the Adelaide Crows at Adelaide Oval on the weekend of 13 August. There is no doubt our players and coaches are all excited at being given the opportunity to play at the Adelaide Oval, when the news emerged there was certainly an air of excitement around this match among the group.

Whilst we will work through the ticketing process with the Adelaide Oval, we can confirm that all CDFC ticketed members (2022 home match and season ticket holders) will be provided with entry tickets for the match, and we’ll confirm that process when we get closer to the date.

Giving up a home match is always a difficult decision, but we believe the opportunity for our players, coaches, members and supporters to experience the excitement of watching the Bulldogs playing at Adelaide Oval was something we thought added to our match programming for 2022. We are looking to do something similar in 2023 when we hope to get the opportunity to play a League match in our country zone.
Shouldn’t be giving up any homes to this mob
Jim05
Coach

Has liked: 1125 times
Been liked: 3536 times
Grassroots Team: South Gawler

Postby gazzamagoo » Tue Feb 22, 2022 6:43 pm

What's the point of this?
Is this to be played before an AFL match?
What percentage of the gate takings go to Centrals?
If this is just to promote the SANFL, then play more matches in the country, you'll get more people to attend.
We've given up a home match, where locally living supporters reside, to play an away match?
We'll get less people there.
If we are going to pay a match at Adelaide Oval, then it should be a match against one of the other 7 true SANFL teams.
gazzamagoo
League - Top 5

Postby DOC » Tue Feb 22, 2022 6:47 pm

That first para is pure and simple emotional blackmail.
DOC
Coach

Has liked: 724 times
Been liked: 2076 times

Postby Hazydog » Tue Feb 22, 2022 7:21 pm

Yeah… I’d much prefer finishing top 5 to get the opportunity to play at AO. Giving up a home game should never be a consideration in my book. And I get that a home game against the Crow Reserves may not generate much revenue, but even if it ran at a loss I’d wear it simply because of home ground advantage and better chance of winning. (OK - the last couple of years or so we’ve been so poor the home ground advantage wasn’t enough to make the difference but hopefully that will improve slowly but surely.)
Hazydog
League Bench Warmer

Postby Hazydog » Tue Feb 22, 2022 7:33 pm

Meanwhile this….

A new SANFL initiative is giving hope to young players overlooked in the draft with one already getting the opportunity to train with the AFL side at Alberton.

Kye Roberts had expected to line up with West Adelaide in the SANFL in 2022 but has instead signed with Port Adelaide as a SANFL contracted player after a special arrangement between the clubs.

Under the SANFL’s rookie program, Roberts will go back to play for the Bloods if not selected for the Magpies.

The 18-year-old also gets to train with Port Adelaide’s AFL side once per week to help with his development.

He told portadelaidefc.com.au he didn’t have to think twice about taking up the opportunity when it arose.o help with his development.

“One night I went to West Adelaide training and Brad Gotsch, my senior coach at West Adelaide, pulled me aside and just told me Port Adelaide had contacted him and obviously this opportunity was hard to turn down,” Roberts explained.

“He told me to go away and think about it, so I did that, but I knew straight away what I was going to do.

“I’m really grateful that the SANFL has allowed me to do this because I get this great opportunity to come out here with the more experienced blokes.”
The SANFL’s initiative is targeted at players turning 19 or 20 overlooked in their draft year, allowing them to train and play with Port Adelaide or the Crows to aid their development and give them the best chance of having their name called in the following year.

If not, the hope is that they will return to their SANFL club as a ready-made league player.

Roberts said he had not lost hope of playing AFL football despite missing out in the 2021 draft.

“I’m a very motivated and driven person so I wasn’t out of the picture when I knew come draft night and I wasn’t picked. I was still in with a hope,” he said.

“My hope this year is to just play as many SANFL games as possible and then win a premiership with the Maggies and then we’ll see from there.”

Roberts has trained with Port Adelaide’s AFL and SANFL group over the last three weeks and enjoyed the experience.

He said there were some key things he had learned, including the need to be on time.

“I train once a week with the AFL side and also three times a week with the SANFL side and that is also broken up with gym sessions,” Roberts explained.

“It’s been really good. It’s really great to have this opportunity to come out with some elite athletes and train alongside them.

“I’ve learned about how disciplined you’ve got to be and you’ve got to be really punctual out here.

“The training has been really good. Everyone has been really friendly. If I’ve made a mistake, they all get around me and I’m really appreciative of all of the boys.”

Further proof the SANFL Comp is fast losing credibility as league where clubs exist to win premierships. Clearly only certain AFL clubs have the right to boast this.. we are just here to provide players for them and pretend we have a fair dinkum, winner takes all league…
Hazydog
League Bench Warmer

Postby gazzamagoo » Tue Feb 22, 2022 7:44 pm

Hazydog wrote:Meanwhile this….

A new SANFL initiative is giving hope to young players overlooked in the draft with one already getting the opportunity to train with the AFL side at Alberton.

Kye Roberts had expected to line up with West Adelaide in the SANFL in 2022 but has instead signed with Port Adelaide as a SANFL contracted player after a special arrangement between the clubs.

Under the SANFL’s rookie program, Roberts will go back to play for the Bloods if not selected for the Magpies.

The 18-year-old also gets to train with Port Adelaide’s AFL side once per week to help with his development.

He told portadelaidefc.com.au he didn’t have to think twice about taking up the opportunity when it arose.o help with his development.

“One night I went to West Adelaide training and Brad Gotsch, my senior coach at West Adelaide, pulled me aside and just told me Port Adelaide had contacted him and obviously this opportunity was hard to turn down,” Roberts explained.

“He told me to go away and think about it, so I did that, but I knew straight away what I was going to do.

“I’m really grateful that the SANFL has allowed me to do this because I get this great opportunity to come out here with the more experienced blokes.”
The SANFL’s initiative is targeted at players turning 19 or 20 overlooked in their draft year, allowing them to train and play with Port Adelaide or the Crows to aid their development and give them the best chance of having their name called in the following year.

If not, the hope is that they will return to their SANFL club as a ready-made league player.

Roberts said he had not lost hope of playing AFL football despite missing out in the 2021 draft.

“I’m a very motivated and driven person so I wasn’t out of the picture when I knew come draft night and I wasn’t picked. I was still in with a hope,” he said.

“My hope this year is to just play as many SANFL games as possible and then win a premiership with the Maggies and then we’ll see from there.”

Roberts has trained with Port Adelaide’s AFL and SANFL group over the last three weeks and enjoyed the experience.

He said there were some key things he had learned, including the need to be on time.

“I train once a week with the AFL side and also three times a week with the SANFL side and that is also broken up with gym sessions,” Roberts explained.

“It’s been really good. It’s really great to have this opportunity to come out with some elite athletes and train alongside them.

“I’ve learned about how disciplined you’ve got to be and you’ve got to be really punctual out here.

“The training has been really good. Everyone has been really friendly. If I’ve made a mistake, they all get around me and I’m really appreciative of all of the boys.”

Further proof the SANFL Comp is fast losing credibility as league where clubs exist to win premierships. Clearly only certain AFL clubs have the right to boast this.. we are just here to provide players for them and pretend we have a fair dinkum, winner takes all league…

Great kid though. But it does suck.
One minute he's a West supporter, nek minit wants to win a flag with the power reserves.
Talk about confusing, playing for 2 SANFL teams in the same season.
Last edited by gazzamagoo on Wed Feb 23, 2022 7:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
gazzamagoo
League - Top 5

Postby Hazydog » Tue Feb 22, 2022 8:01 pm

I’m all for kids realising their dreams… which umpteen get the opportunity to do in various drafts, rookie lists and development squads. I just want to know where and when the line will be drawn and we get to try and keep the clubs competitive.
Hazydog
League Bench Warmer

Postby Aerie » Tue Feb 22, 2022 8:50 pm

This is exactly what should be happening.

The top up players should be young players who just missed getting drafted and keep an alliance with their SANFL club.

The next step is for the Crows and Power to join the VFL or AFL Reserves and this top up system remain in place.

Then, we have a perfect football world again (or as close to it as it can be).
Aerie
Coach

Has liked: 147 times
Been liked: 503 times

Postby Hazydog » Tue Feb 22, 2022 9:39 pm

Let’s see how long the alliance with Westies go after 12 months with Port.. no doubt rules will change again and he will be encouraged to further his development by spending longer in the elite environment
Hazydog
League Bench Warmer

Postby Dogs64 » Tue Feb 22, 2022 10:20 pm

Jim05 wrote:

Shouldn’t be giving up any homes to this mob

Can't go, 12 year old not vaccinated.
Dogs64
Under 16s

Has liked: 309 times
Been liked: 177 times

Postby gazzamagoo » Wed Feb 23, 2022 7:53 am

Aerie wrote:

NO!
It's stupid, Kye could be playing for West one week, then Port the next week in the same comp!
gazzamagoo
League - Top 5

Postby heater31 » Wed Feb 23, 2022 8:18 am

gazzamagoo wrote:
Aerie wrote:

NO!
It's stupid, Kye could be playing for West one week, then Port the next week in the same comp!
Smart move by Brad Gotch though.....guessing he only gets sent to Port if he's not selected in West's league side, if Port don't pick him either he plays 2's at Westies.
heater31

Has liked: 525 times
Been liked: 1259 times

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  SANFL