Your poison of choice?

Anything!

Re: Your poison of choice?

Postby Pseudo » Wed Feb 23, 2022 9:52 pm

shoe boy wrote:Guys, do you drink beer for the taste or to get pissed ?

To make other people more interesting.
Clowns OUT. Smears OUT. RESIST THE OCCUPATION.
Pseudo
Coach

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 1553 times
Grassroots Team: Marion

Postby gadj1976 » Thu Feb 24, 2022 7:39 am

Booney wrote:Some of the beers I've tried in the last few months :

Kick Back Brewing at Aldinga - Very true to the names of the beers, the pales are just that, the IPA is hoppy without being rude and the venue (right near Aldinga Footy Club) is a ripper spot. 1lt growlers are $15-18 depending on what you put in it ( no cans or stubbies ) but the refills are $12-14 once you've got the growler.

Shape Shifter Brewing at Beverley - Cool little joint in an old warehouse / workshop space on Crittenden Road, the Cosmic Crusher Hazy IPA at 7.3% is a winner, really full flavor and packs a punch with it and the Just Like Heaven Juicy Pale is a hot day specialty. The cans designs are awesome too.

Wallaroo Bond Store - The IPA is a ripper, one of the more subtle IPA's I've tried, clearly aiming at the drinker who isn't into full blown craft beers but wants to try something new but if not grab the Crisp Lager, it would be perfect after 60 overs in the field.

We tried to drink the entire list during the Christmas break (whilst dodging Covid). I think I got 2/3 the way through. My favourite was the red ale (can't recall the name of it). I'm not a huge fan of fruity, session ale or pacific ale types but their's was more subtle than I've tasted elsewhere.
gadj1976
Coach

Has liked: 795 times
Been liked: 849 times

Postby MW » Thu Feb 24, 2022 8:00 am

My days of drinking beer to get pissed are way gone. Not worth the hangover anymore.
I buy whatever beer I like without worrying about the cost.
MW
Coach

Has liked: 2581 times
Been liked: 1822 times

Postby Booney » Thu Feb 24, 2022 8:28 am

On a serious note I drink beer because I like the flavor, that's why I don't drink West End or Carlton, I actually like beer with taste.

My preferred wheel house is pale ales, golden ales, IPA, IIPA and amber ales and into the blondes, wheats or lambic / belgian / german styles ales.

I don't mind lagers on the right summers day but would prefer a golden, pale or IPA more often then not. I'll have a porter in winter, even a dark ale when the weather calls for it.

I'll happily spend $14-16 on one 500ml can to try something I haven't tried before. I've got a file in my camera on my phone with about 80 beers I've tried.

Getting pissed is a by product of this.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7467 times
Been liked: 10755 times

Postby Brodlach » Thu Feb 24, 2022 8:37 am

MW wrote:

My days of drinking beer to get pissed are way gone. Not worth the hangover anymore.

Ditto
July 11th 2012....
Brodlach wrote:Rory Laird might end up the best IMO, he is an absolute jet. He has been in great form at the Bloods
Brodlach
Coach

Has liked: 72 times
Been liked: 4207 times
Grassroots Team: Colonel Light Gardens

Postby Booney » Thu Feb 24, 2022 8:39 am

MW wrote:

U Brew It, 6 cartons for +/- $200, no preservatives, no additives, no hangover. That's a bargain.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby gazzamagoo » Thu Feb 24, 2022 8:48 am

I'm lucky, I don't get hangovers.
Every year I go to the Robe Brewery, 27 beers on tap or in stubbies,
there's not one that I would buy,
craft beer is shit.
I'm a dinosaur & proud of it too.
gazzamagoo
League - Top 5

Has liked: 1656 times
Been liked: 643 times
Grassroots Team: Salisbury

Postby Booney » Thu Feb 24, 2022 8:56 am

gazzamagoo wrote:I'm lucky, I don't get hangovers.
craft beer is shit.

Funny how "dinosaurs" like their draughts then you see / hear / read them talking about a nice red and not some plonk in a box. :lol:
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby amber_fluid » Thu Feb 24, 2022 9:14 am

It’s summer!
Just drink it!
There are no stupid questions, just stupid people.
amber_fluid
Coach

Has liked: 2217 times
Been liked: 2508 times

Postby amber_fluid » Thu Feb 24, 2022 9:18 am

Have craft beer prices pushed the prices of old school draught/lager beers up?
There used to be a fair gap but not anymore.

Or is it just pure cost of production and taxes on alcohol doing it?
amber_fluid
Coach

Postby gazzamagoo » Thu Feb 24, 2022 9:19 am

Booney wrote:
craft beer is shit.

Funny how "dinosaurs" like their draughts then you see / hear / read them talking about a nice red and not some plonk in a box. :lol:

Yep, gotta admit I LOVE my reds!
gazzamagoo
League - Top 5

Postby amber_fluid » Thu Feb 24, 2022 9:22 am

gazzamagoo wrote:
Booney wrote:
craft beer is shit.

Still a time and place for plonk in a box though.
Camping/bonfire with mates.
amber_fluid
Coach

Postby am Bays » Thu Feb 24, 2022 9:24 am

Booney wrote:
craft beer is shit.

That’s because WE Draught is, to quote Frankie, “ number one, Top of the list, Head of the heap, King of the hill”

A great night is a couple of WEDraughts followed by either a Taylors St Andrews Cab Sav, The Wirra Wirra The Angelus Cab Sav or a 2016 Reillys Stolen Block Shiraz marketed as a Solid Gold Glenelg 2019 Premiership wine….

How do you have your rib eye sir? “Like winning an argument with the wife, Rare…”
Let that be a lesson to you Port, no one beats the Bays five times in a row in a GF and gets away with it!!!
am Bays
Coach

Has liked: 162 times
Been liked: 1804 times

Postby am Bays » Thu Feb 24, 2022 9:28 am

gazzamagoo wrote:
Booney wrote:
craft beer is shit.

Especially if said Red has come from Doug’s cellar at the Victory, Gaz!
Let that be a lesson to you Port, no one beats the Bays five times in a row in a GF and gets away with it!!!
am Bays
Coach

Has liked: 162 times
Been liked: 1804 times

Postby Wedgie » Thu Feb 24, 2022 9:31 am

I don't understand disdain for craft beers, by definition it just means it's not mass produced.
Saying you don't like craft beer is like saying you don't like home cooked meals, BBQs, restaurants or fine dining and only like McDonalds.
Working in a pub for the last few years has been a real eye opener for me though, I'm constantly amazed by how many people will just drink the cheapest beer of the month and then proclaim how shit it tastes and then go onto have 6 more. I don't get it especially when there's a huge choice of pubs in the area.
I go to pubs where there's drinks myself and the missus enjoy are. There's so much choice around here so we can usually also add atmosphere and a few other components such as staff and clientele to our wish list.

Just as an aside do the West End Drinkers find their Japanese owned swill tastes different since made interstate? Most people I know that drink it have complained it does at several different venues.
Wedgie
Site Admin

Has liked: 2023 times
Been liked: 3867 times
Grassroots Team: Noarlunga

Postby amber_fluid » Thu Feb 24, 2022 9:55 am

Wedgie wrote:I don't understand disdain for craft beers, by definition it just means it's not mass produced.
Saying you don't like craft beer is like saying you don't like home cooked meals, BBQs, restaurants or fine dining and only like McDonalds.
Working in a pub for the last few years has been a real eye opener for me though, I'm constantly amazed by how many people will just drink the cheapest beer of the month and then proclaim how shit it tastes and then go onto have 6 more. I don't get it especially when there's a huge choice of pubs in the area.
I go to pubs where there's drinks myself and the missus enjoy are. There's so much choice around here so we can usually also add atmosphere and a few other components such as staff and clientele to our wish list.

Just as an aside do the West End Drinkers find their Japanese owned swill tastes different since made interstate? Most people I know that drink it have complained it does at several different venues.

How is not liking craft beer akin to liking McDonald’s?
amber_fluid
Coach

Postby Wedgie » Thu Feb 24, 2022 10:07 am

amber_fluid wrote:
Wedgie wrote:I don't understand disdain for craft beers, by definition it just means it's not mass produced.

How is not liking craft beer akin to liking McDonald’s?

Sorry, thought I made that clear. McDonalds is mass produced just like Japanese beers are here. Craft beers aren't as mass produced by definition like home cooked meals, BBQs, restaurants or fine dining.
People saying they don't like craft beers is akin to someone saying they don't like any non mass produced food.
Craft beer doesn't have a specific taste.
I can understand people saying they don't like fruity beer or they don't like darker beers or they don't like beers with minimal taste or because theyre traditionally dearer but to say they don't like all craft beer is akin to saying they don't like any food that isn't mass produced.
All craft beers aren't fruity, they aren't dark, they aren't pale, they aren't extra bubbly, they're just not mass produced.
I drink a beer because of its taste not because it's mass produced or not.
Wedgie
Site Admin

Postby gazzamagoo » Thu Feb 24, 2022 10:12 am

am Bays wrote:
gazzamagoo wrote:
Booney wrote:
craft beer is shit.

Especially if said Red has come from Doug’s cellar at the Victory, Gaz!

And how do you know about my love of The Victory & said cellar?
gazzamagoo
League - Top 5

Postby gazzamagoo » Thu Feb 24, 2022 10:14 am

Like I said, Robe Brewery, 27 beers and I find them all horrible, as do the 50 years old + blokes that go there with me.
gazzamagoo
League - Top 5

Postby Wedgie » Thu Feb 24, 2022 10:21 am

gazzamagoo wrote:

Like I said, Robe Brewery, 27 beers and I find them all horrible, as do the 50 years old + blokes that go there with me.

So if you go to one restaurant and have shit food you proclaim all restaurants have shit food?
Would you try every meal at a shit restaurant before moving to another?

PS You perhaps should have given up after half a dozen and not 27 if you applied a bit of logic to your plight. ;) :lol:
Wedgie
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Board index   General Talk  General Discussion