Your poison of choice?

Anything!

Re: Your poison of choice?

Postby amber_fluid » Thu Feb 24, 2022 10:24 am

Wedgie wrote:
amber_fluid wrote:
Wedgie wrote:I don't understand disdain for craft beers, by definition it just means it's not mass produced.
Saying you don't like craft beer is like saying you don't like home cooked meals, BBQs, restaurants or fine dining and only like McDonalds.
Working in a pub for the last few years has been a real eye opener for me though, I'm constantly amazed by how many people will just drink the cheapest beer of the month and then proclaim how shit it tastes and then go onto have 6 more. I don't get it especially when there's a huge choice of pubs in the area.
I go to pubs where there's drinks myself and the missus enjoy are. There's so much choice around here so we can usually also add atmosphere and a few other components such as staff and clientele to our wish list.

Just as an aside do the West End Drinkers find their Japanese owned swill tastes different since made interstate? Most people I know that drink it have complained it does at several different venues.

How is not liking craft beer akin to liking McDonald’s?

Sorry, thought I made that clear. McDonalds is mass produced just like Japanese beers are here. Craft beers aren't as mass produced by definition like home cooked meals, BBQs, restaurants or fine dining.
People saying they don't like craft beers is akin to someone saying they don't like any non mass produced food.
Craft beer doesn't have a specific taste.
I can understand people saying they don't like fruity beer or they don't like darker beers or they don't like beers with minimal taste or because theyre traditionally dearer but to say they don't like all craft beer is akin to saying they don't like any food that isn't mass produced.
All craft beers aren't fruity, they aren't dark, they aren't pale, they aren't extra bubbly, they're just not mass produced.
I drink a beer because of its taste not because it's mass produced or not.

So if a craft beer like PL is bought out by CUB are they no longer a craft beer?
Is it still made the same way?
My definition of a craft beer is how it’s made and not necessarily how many they make.
Made more by hand and less machinery
There are no stupid questions, just stupid people.
amber_fluid
Coach

Has liked: 2217 times
Been liked: 2508 times

Postby whufc » Thu Feb 24, 2022 10:25 am

Wedgie wrote:
amber_fluid wrote:
Wedgie wrote:I don't understand disdain for craft beers, by definition it just means it's not mass produced.
Saying you don't like craft beer is like saying you don't like home cooked meals, BBQs, restaurants or fine dining and only like McDonalds.
Working in a pub for the last few years has been a real eye opener for me though, I'm constantly amazed by how many people will just drink the cheapest beer of the month and then proclaim how shit it tastes and then go onto have 6 more. I don't get it especially when there's a huge choice of pubs in the area.
I go to pubs where there's drinks myself and the missus enjoy are. There's so much choice around here so we can usually also add atmosphere and a few other components such as staff and clientele to our wish list.

Just as an aside do the West End Drinkers find their Japanese owned swill tastes different since made interstate? Most people I know that drink it have complained it does at several different venues.

How is not liking craft beer akin to liking McDonald’s?

Sorry, thought I made that clear. McDonalds is mass produced just like Japanese beers are here. Craft beers aren't as mass produced by definition like home cooked meals, BBQs, restaurants or fine dining.
People saying they don't like craft beers is akin to someone saying they don't like any non mass produced food.
Craft beer doesn't have a specific taste.
I can understand people saying they don't like fruity beer or they don't like darker beers or they don't like beers with minimal taste or because theyre traditionally dearer but to say they don't like all craft beer is akin to saying they don't like any food that isn't mass produced.
All craft beers aren't fruity, they aren't dark, they aren't pale, they aren't extra bubbly, they're just not mass produced.
I drink a beer because of its taste not because it's mass produced or not.

I think a big factor working in a pub is you would have a higher than average level of people who drink for the sensation of alcohol whether that be an alcoholic or a young lad looking to get pissed on a night out so they can pick up as a priority over the taste of alcohol. At that point price becomes the everything.

One of my mate is a full blooded alcoholic and swears by Tun...….he reckons once you get use to the taste and have half a dozen they all taste the same.
RIP PH408 63notoutforever
whufc
Coach

Has liked: 5565 times
Been liked: 2519 times
Grassroots Team: BSR

Postby The Ash Man » Thu Feb 24, 2022 10:36 am

Yes it does taste different
It was being brewed in TAS at one stage not sure if it still is

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The Ash Man
Coach

Has liked: 381 times
Been liked: 260 times
Grassroots Team: Hope Valley

Postby gazzamagoo » Thu Feb 24, 2022 10:42 am

Wedgie wrote:
gazzamagoo wrote:

Like I said, Robe Brewery, 27 beers and I find them all horrible, as do the 50 years old + blokes that go there with me.

So if you go to one restaurant and have shit food you proclaim all restaurants have shit food?
Would you try every meal at a shit restaurant before moving to another?

PS You perhaps should have given up after half a dozen and not 27 if you applied a bit of logic to your plight. ;) :lol:

I have tried other beers too, I guess I just don't like beer tasting too "floral" or fruity, I love green death, that probably explains everything lol
I'm having a few Furphys & 150 lashes now and then but that's as far as I can stray.
gazzamagoo
League - Top 5

Has liked: 1656 times
Been liked: 643 times
Grassroots Team: Salisbury

Postby Lightning McQueen » Thu Feb 24, 2022 11:27 am

whufc wrote:

One of my mate is a full blooded alcoholic and swears by Tun...….he reckons once you get use to the taste and have half a dozen they all taste the same.

That's what Uncle Hans used to tell me.
HOGG SHIELD DIVISION V WINNER 2018.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Has liked: 4339 times
Been liked: 7902 times

Postby Booney » Thu Feb 24, 2022 11:33 am

Pirate Life can't claim to be craft brewers anymore, not since they took that $10m cheque.

Typically yes, craft beers were small batch jobs, not mass produced. Now craft beer is seen more as fruity IPA and crazy sour blends ( I can't do them ) even when mass produced. It's all blurry now, literally.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7467 times
Been liked: 10755 times

Postby Lightning McQueen » Thu Feb 24, 2022 11:38 am

I gave the Big Shed variety a fair nudge, it was an experience and dollar for enjoyment of the taste wasn't really there for a lot of them, i couldn't wait to finish a few of them to try the next.

I rarely drink beer nowadays, Boags Premium, Peroni or Stella would have to be my faves, I was surprised that I like the Asahi, I kind of got sucked in with the Coles docket deals where they had 6 packs for $12-$13, I ended up trying beer I normally wouldn't have brought and stumbled across a couple I don't mind.

As for WED, I drink it in the pubs if I feel like beer because I always have and I know what I'm getting, it's usually well priced too.

I can't like TED's, Coopers Pale Ale or Carlton Cold in bottles, Wedgie endorses CPA out of the tap so I'll check the difference one day.

There was a Coopers i really liked at the Gawler races one day, I can't remember the name of it though.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Postby whufc » Thu Feb 24, 2022 11:42 am

Lightning McQueen wrote:I gave the Big Shed variety a fair nudge, it was an experience and dollar for enjoyment of the taste wasn't really there for a lot of them, i couldn't wait to finish a few of them to try the next.

I rarely drink beer nowadays, Boags Premium, Peroni or Stella would have to be my faves, I was surprised that I like the Asahi, I kind of got sucked in with the Coles docket deals where they had 6 packs for $12-$13, I ended up trying beer I normally wouldn't have brought and stumbled across a couple I don't mind.

As for WED, I drink it in the pubs if I feel like beer because I always have and I know what I'm getting, it's usually well priced too.

I can't like TED's, Coopers Pale Ale or Carlton Cold in bottles, Wedgie endorses CPA out of the tap so I'll check the difference one day.

There was a Coopers i really liked at the Gawler races one day, I can't remember the name of it though.

Big fan.....I just get sucked in drinking an Asian beer whilst eating Asian food as an experience enhancer :lol:
whufc
Coach

Postby amber_fluid » Thu Feb 24, 2022 11:44 am

Booney wrote:Pirate Life can't claim to be craft brewers anymore, not since they took that $10m cheque.

Typically yes, craft beers were small batch jobs, not mass produced. Now craft beer is seen more as fruity IPA and crazy sour blends ( I can't do them ) even when mass produced. It's all blurry now, literally.

Exactly.
Everyone has a different thought on what craft is.

If you enjoy it, drink it!
amber_fluid
Coach

Postby amber_fluid » Thu Feb 24, 2022 11:47 am

Lightning McQueen wrote:
whufc wrote:

That's what Uncle Hans used to tell me.

:lol:
amber_fluid
Coach

Postby whufc » Thu Feb 24, 2022 11:50 am

amber_fluid wrote:
Booney wrote:Pirate Life can't claim to be craft brewers anymore, not since they took that $10m cheque.

Exactly.
Everyone has a different thought on what craft is.

If you enjoy it, drink it!

I enjoy what craft beers have brought......I've always loved the experience of going out to wineries except for I don't like wine haha. Still enjoy the day and enjoy trying to detect flavours etc.

Since craft beers have become popular I can now do that with a drink that I actually do like so its win/win.

Don't think ive ever bought a carton of one flavoured craft beer but love mix and matching and seeing whats out there.

Barossa Valley Brewing Smoked Beer is still my favourite.
whufc
Coach

Postby Wedgie » Thu Feb 24, 2022 12:11 pm

After an hour and a half of grocery shopping this morning I'll drink anything right now! :twisted:
Wedgie
Site Admin

Has liked: 2021 times
Been liked: 3862 times
Grassroots Team: Noarlunga

Postby Lightning McQueen » Thu Feb 24, 2022 12:17 pm

Wedgie wrote:After an hour and a half of grocery shopping this morning I'll drink anything right now! :twisted:

It's not a couples thing.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Postby Wedgie » Thu Feb 24, 2022 12:19 pm

Lightning McQueen wrote:
Wedgie wrote:After an hour and a half of grocery shopping this morning I'll drink anything right now! :twisted:

I was solo working off a list on the app that narrows things down to 6 aisles and with no logical order. Was like a game of worm on the old Nokia further frustrated by wankers that reverse park in the car park,
Wedgie
Site Admin

Postby amber_fluid » Thu Feb 24, 2022 1:10 pm

Wedgie wrote:
Lightning McQueen wrote:

I was solo working off a list on the app that narrows things down to 6 aisles and with no logical order. Was like a game of worm on the old Nokia further frustrated by wankers that reverse park in the car park,

You’d think they(Coles and Woolies) would have an app that you can import your shopping list notes into that sorts it for you.
So you know what is in that particular aisle.
amber_fluid
Coach

Postby amber_fluid » Thu Feb 24, 2022 1:11 pm

Lightning McQueen wrote:

Tried that once and almost got divorced.
amber_fluid
Coach

Postby Wedgie » Thu Feb 24, 2022 1:12 pm

amber_fluid wrote:
Wedgie wrote:
Lightning McQueen wrote:

You’d think they(Coles and Woolies) would have an app that you can import your shopping list notes into that sorts it for you.

It kind of does but doesn't out things they're in order of and some are put into "sections" which may be as many as 6 aisles lol
Plus everything you take something off the list it refreshes and the 5g reception sucks at the Brickworks for some reason.
Wedgie
Site Admin

Postby Lightning McQueen » Thu Feb 24, 2022 1:44 pm

Wedgie wrote:
Lightning McQueen wrote:

Yeah, that makes it worse.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Postby Lightning McQueen » Thu Feb 24, 2022 1:50 pm

amber_fluid wrote:[

A few years back we made our own list of products that we'd generally buy and was able to list what aisle they were in using the guide they had at the end of each aisle.

It was brilliant for just one of us wasting time going there, we'd add to the list during the week and do a quick stocktake before heading there, took like 20 mins for a full shop.

Now I try to run out of pretty much everything then go do a big shop, my freezer would see me through a nuclear war though, that aint getting low any time soon, not with the meth head Coles nearby, no one buys good stuff from there so they discount it at ridiculous prices.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Postby Wedgie » Thu Feb 24, 2022 1:54 pm

It's my jobs perks fault. I usually only do small basket shops but we now get a 10% discount extra to be used once a month (on top od the usual 5%) so we now do a big trolley shop with that, I did save over $40 today.
Wedgie
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Board index   General Talk  General Discussion