International Politics

Labor, Liberal, Greens, Democrats? Here's the place to discuss.

Re: International Politics

Postby Armchair expert » Thu Feb 24, 2022 8:00 pm

Russian stock market down 50%

nice
Dave Warner will be missed!
Armchair expert
Coach

Has liked: 379 times
Been liked: 1407 times
Grassroots Team: Ports

Postby Jim05 » Thu Feb 24, 2022 8:02 pm

Armchair expert wrote:Russian stock market down 50%

nice
Moscow exchange has suspended all trading
Jim05
Coach

Has liked: 1125 times
Been liked: 3533 times
Grassroots Team: South Gawler

Postby Armchair expert » Fri Feb 25, 2022 12:00 am

Absolute mad men
Armchair expert
Coach

Postby Jimmy_041 » Fri Feb 25, 2022 9:16 am

https://www.adelaidenow.com.au/news/wor ... 2b0eccd7a1

Russian forces have captured the Chernobyl nuclear power plant after a ‘fierce’ battle on the first day of the Kremlin’s invasion of Ukraine, as US President Joe Biden condemned Vladimir Putin.

Hopefully they'll all stand around it and have a smoke
Jimmy_041
Coach

Has liked: 718 times
Been liked: 1071 times
Grassroots Team: Prince Alfred OC

Postby Jimmy_041 » Fri Feb 25, 2022 2:23 pm

In breaking news............
Attachments
Cheese eating Surrender Monkeys.jpg
Cheese eating Surrender Monkeys.jpg (64.66 KiB) Viewed 1098 times
Jimmy_041
Coach

Postby stan » Fri Feb 25, 2022 2:45 pm

From a strategic point of view Putin goal is clear, having a Nato backed Ukraine that close to Moscow for him would be a problem. Almost the Cuban missile crisis if you look at it that way.

Looking back and how they have come at them out of previously Ukraine held land such as the Crimean peninsula, it seems this was setup sometime ago.

NATO had the chance to get Ukraine in as soon as possible after the Crimea was annexed. Then they would be able to take action immediately. However, that's not the case and now they'll all sit back and watch Putin take Ukraine.

Putin is making good about Ukraine Joining NATO, I can't recall when the agreement was made, might have been during the Bush years, that NATO wouldn't pursue former Soviet countries to be part of NATO.
Read my reply. It is directed at you because you have double standards
stan
Coach

Has liked: 88 times
Been liked: 1252 times
Grassroots Team: Goodwood Saints

Postby Jim05 » Fri Feb 25, 2022 2:48 pm

stan wrote:From a strategic point of view Putin goal is clear, having a Nato backed Ukraine that close to Moscow for him would be a problem. Almost the Cuban missile crisis if you look at it that way.

Looking back and how they have come at them out of previously Ukraine held land such as the Crimean peninsula, it seems this was setup sometime ago.

NATO had the chance to get Ukraine in as soon as possible after the Crimea was annexed. Then they would be able to take action immediately. However, that's not the case and now they'll all sit back and watch Putin take Ukraine.

Putin is making good about Ukraine Joining NATO, I can't recall when the agreement was made, might have been during the Bush years, that NATO wouldn't pursue former Soviet countries to be part of NATO.
Russians have admitted to accidentally firing at a Turkish warship. NATO might get involved now
Jim05
Coach

Postby Armchair expert » Fri Feb 25, 2022 2:53 pm

Article 5

adios Moscow
Armchair expert
Coach

Postby shoe boy » Fri Feb 25, 2022 4:03 pm

stan wrote:From a strategic point of view Putin goal is clear, having a Nato backed Ukraine that close to Moscow for him would be a problem. Almost the Cuban missile crisis if you look at it that way.

Yep you could imagine Russia placing missile and troops in Venezuela or Mexico or Cuba.
shoe boy
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 487 times
Been liked: 209 times

Postby Jimmy_041 » Fri Feb 25, 2022 4:38 pm

Cant say I blame them.
By using Belarus to invade Ukraine, he's proving that point
Jimmy_041
Coach

Postby stan » Sat Feb 26, 2022 11:30 am

Jimmy_041 wrote:

Cant say I blame them.
By using Belarus to invade Ukraine, he's proving that point
Ukraine also offer the agricultural aspect as well.

There are just so many reasons why Russia want it back under its control.

And NATO???
Well it's a good thing we have all sat back and offered thoughts and prayers.

Germany won't move against Russia as they are reliant on the gas from Russia. Again stopping the supper of natural gas to Europe from other sources was a big play from Putin. Made sure he kept Europe by the balls.

Let's see what NATO offers.
stan
Coach

Postby whufc » Sun Feb 27, 2022 5:51 pm

I see China statement on the Ukraine/Russia war was just another crack at us and our ‘Cold War’ involvement they believe.
RIP PH408 63notoutforever
whufc
Coach

Has liked: 5551 times
Been liked: 2513 times
Grassroots Team: BSR

Postby whufc » Sun Feb 27, 2022 6:03 pm

You would be panicking if you were in Lithuania right now, border nation part of NATO.

Hard to see Putin stopping with Ukraine if the west do nothing.
whufc
Coach

Postby RB » Sun Feb 27, 2022 6:12 pm

Big difference between invading Ukraine and invading a NATO country though.

It would be a very risky move indeed for Putin to decide to invade Lithuania.
R.I.P. the SANFL 1877 - 2013
RB
Coach

Has liked: 758 times
Been liked: 1068 times

Postby Jim05 » Sun Feb 27, 2022 6:45 pm

RB wrote:Big difference between invading Ukraine and invading a NATO country though.

Yep, he hasn’t got the balls.
He is only taking on Ukraine as he knows no one will seriously come to their aide
Jim05
Coach

Postby stan » Sun Feb 27, 2022 10:22 pm

Jim05 wrote:
RB wrote:Big difference between invading Ukraine and invading a NATO country though.

He is only taking on Ukraine as he knows no one will seriously come to their aide
I reckon he does have the balls. If he gets Lithuania, then with Belarus as his ally, he would then have a port in the Baltic sea.
stan
Coach

International Politics

Postby Jim05 » Sun Feb 27, 2022 10:26 pm

stan wrote:
Jim05 wrote:

I reckon he does have the balls. If he gets Lithuania, then with Belarus as his ally, he would then have a port in the Baltic sea.
He already has Kaliningrad which is the only ice free port in the Baltic.
He won’t attempt to take a NATO country in Lithuania as the return fire would be swift and decisive from all NATO members.
As it is the Ukrainians are holding him at bay and are even taking back cities like Kharkiv. His army is getting destroyed currently and there has even been soldiers refusing to join the battle or turning around and heading home. Massive failure so far
Jim05
Coach

Postby Armchair expert » Mon Feb 28, 2022 12:13 am

Lunatic Putin has put his nuclear "deterrent" forces on alert

he needs to be taken out
Armchair expert
Coach

Postby stan » Mon Feb 28, 2022 10:50 am

Jim05 wrote:
stan wrote:
Jim05 wrote:

He won’t attempt to take a NATO country in Lithuania as the return fire would be swift and decisive from all NATO members.
As it is the Ukrainians are holding him at bay and are even taking back cities like Kharkiv. His army is getting destroyed currently and there has even been soldiers refusing to join the battle or turning around and heading home. Massive failure so far
EU nations are also now providing fighter jets in Ukranian air space. This is going to get out of control soon and it's going to be on as Belarus are looking to aid Russia in this attack on Ukraine. With he EU coming in it's a matter of time before NATO get involved, one way or the other.

Russia also are apparently sending more units to the captial at the moment. But it does seem it hasn't been as easy for Putin as he would have thought.

It's interesting as there are reports that whilst China are a diplomatic ally of Russia, this action isn't in there wheel house. It's odd because Russia is the logical ally of China but the nation's don't suit each other.
stan
Coach

Postby whufc » Mon Feb 28, 2022 10:54 am

Jim05 wrote:
stan wrote:
Jim05 wrote:

I reckon if there is one bloke on earth who did have the balls it would be Putin.

Nothing he says at the moment can be trusted, I mean even in this Ukraine war it was thought at first he was just after a small region but its clear he wants the entire Ukraine back.

I don't normally get to worried about international affairs but got to be honest his little moment in time has me slightly concerned especially the increasing relationship between Russia and China.

China's aggression towards us politically has escalated around the same time Russia has escalated with Ukraine...….potentially all coincidence BUT if you were ever going to start a world war the number one step would be splitting the US defence forces resources no better way to do that then have them fighting a couple of battles one in Europe in the Pacific. Throw in western world morale at a low point on the back of the Covid era and some what financial uncertainty the timing is somewhat right if that was the path you wanted to take. Obviously that is a shitload of speculation and almost fairytale stuff but I've never trusted Russia or China less than I have now.
whufc
Coach

PreviousNext

Board index   General Talk  Politics