AFLW 2022

Talk on the national game

Re: AFLW 2022

Postby Mythical Creature » Fri Feb 18, 2022 3:23 pm

Cant compare remotely men's footy to women's footy.
Men's is a possession based game and women's is a territory based game.
Accept the above and watch it for what it is. It will get better eventually.
If you want to increase scoring, make the ovals smaller.
If you don't like it, change it. If you don't want to change it, it can't be that bad!
Mythical Creature
Veteran

Has liked: 189 times
Been liked: 237 times
Grassroots Team: United

Postby amber_fluid » Fri Feb 18, 2022 3:34 pm

gazzamagoo wrote:
carey wrote:
locky801 wrote:
Wedgie wrote:Cats girls get a win, woohoo! :D

watched the first half dont know what was worse, the game, the umpiring or the commentary :roll: ;)

The Commentary is ridiculously bad every game. They absolutely love ‘The Stars’ of AFLW, that Fredrick chick from Collingwood has had 4 kicks for the whole season and they bang on about her. My god.

I have no idea how they’ll do it, but they must increase the scoring in AFLW.

Play across the oval, like I did in U9's

Play 3 games at once. :lol:
There are no stupid questions, just stupid people.
amber_fluid
Coach

Has liked: 2217 times
Been liked: 2508 times

Postby Booney » Fri Feb 18, 2022 3:56 pm

Mythical Creature wrote:Cant compare remotely men's footy to women's footy.

I don't think anyone in their right mind would compare them side by side, it just doesn't stack up and never actually will. As in the best AFLW player would never make it in the AFL. It's that simple.

You can however compare it to previous seasons and what were saying is the expansion has hurt the standard and it's a task, in my opinion, to argue against that view. Individual skills may have developed but the standard across the board has fallen away badly. It will only be weaker next year.

Is that helping the brand?
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7467 times
Been liked: 10755 times

Postby Mythical Creature » Fri Feb 18, 2022 4:57 pm

Booney wrote:

I don't think anyone in their right mind would compare them side by side, it just doesn't stack up and never actually will. As in the best AFLW player would never make it in the AFL. It's that simple.

You can however compare it to previous seasons and what were saying is the expansion has hurt the standard and it's a task, in my opinion, to argue against that view. Individual skills may have developed but the standard across the board has fallen away badly. It will only be weaker next year.

Agree the standard has dropped and will drop further.
Make the oval smaller to increase the scoring.
This may hide the fact that the standard has dropped as the scoring should increase.
If you don't like it, change it. If you don't want to change it, it can't be that bad!
Mythical Creature
Veteran

Has liked: 189 times
Been liked: 237 times
Grassroots Team: United

Postby whufc » Fri Feb 18, 2022 8:05 pm

Booney wrote:

It’s not hurting the brand to the people there trying attract, mothers and young girls

Surely you could see the risk to Port when the Crows can get 50k to a women’s final.
RIP PH408 63notoutforever
whufc
Coach

Has liked: 5565 times
Been liked: 2519 times
Grassroots Team: BSR

Postby Corona Man » Fri Feb 18, 2022 8:14 pm

whufc wrote:
Booney wrote:

It’s not hurting the brand to the people there trying attract, mothers and young girls

Surely you could see the risk to Port when the Crows can get 50k to a women’s final.

Cheers UK!
1961, 1971, 1976, 1978, 1983, 1986, 1988, 1989, 1991, 2008, 2013, 2014, 2015.... And don't you forget it!
Corona Man
Coach

Has liked: 1275 times
Been liked: 3461 times
Grassroots Team: Echunga

Postby Booney » Sat Feb 19, 2022 8:42 am

whufc wrote:
Booney wrote:

It was shiny bright, wouldn't get 50,000 this year.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7467 times
Been liked: 10755 times

Postby amber_fluid » Sat Feb 19, 2022 9:39 am

And it was free.
Once you make people pay for something they then look for alternative options again.
There are no stupid questions, just stupid people.
amber_fluid
Coach

Has liked: 2217 times
Been liked: 2508 times

Postby whufc » Mon Feb 21, 2022 9:15 am

Booney wrote:
whufc wrote:
Booney wrote:

It was shiny bright, wouldn't get 50,000 this year.

Off course they wouldn't this year. Not sure any sport is getting better crowd since the Covid era.

The true test would be the combination figure of crowd + tv viewers compared to the year they got 50k.
whufc
Coach

Postby Brodlach » Sun Feb 27, 2022 4:58 pm

Plenty of goals scored today
July 11th 2012....
Brodlach wrote:Rory Laird might end up the best IMO, he is an absolute jet. He has been in great form at the Bloods
Brodlach
Coach

Has liked: 72 times
Been liked: 4206 times
Grassroots Team: Colonel Light Gardens

Postby locky801 » Sun Feb 27, 2022 5:15 pm

Brodlach wrote:Plenty of goals scored today

not before time :shock: :roll:
You cant change your past but you can sure hell shape you future
locky801
Coach

Has liked: 3645 times
Been liked: 1160 times

Postby MW » Mon Feb 28, 2022 7:47 am

locky801 wrote:
Brodlach wrote:Plenty of goals scored today

not before time :shock: :roll:

I'm sure there will be plenty of relieved women that you're happy about this
MW
Coach

Has liked: 2581 times
Been liked: 1822 times

Postby Lightning McQueen » Mon Feb 28, 2022 9:20 am

Are the score lines that important?

Every game that is being played is a game more experience 42 girls are getting, the development at grassroot level has been a strong progression and obviously the AFL would like each club represented at the top level.

The girls out there are giving it red hot go and although it will never reach the skill standard of the mens game, it doesn't really have to, it's just two teams out there trying to get the 4 points, at least the difference from the top sides to the bottom sides is decreasing and there are more unpredictable results, that is healthy for the game.
HOGG SHIELD DIVISION V WINNER 2018.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Has liked: 4339 times
Been liked: 7902 times

Postby Brodlach » Mon Feb 28, 2022 9:59 am

I enjoy watching it, they have a red hot dip but I do think scoring is important. People want to see goals scored and I think increased goals means increased credibility.

I personally think the skills has increased a lot it’s game awareness that hasn’t. Too many panic possessions but that will come.
July 11th 2012....
Brodlach wrote:Rory Laird might end up the best IMO, he is an absolute jet. He has been in great form at the Bloods
Brodlach
Coach

Has liked: 72 times
Been liked: 4206 times
Grassroots Team: Colonel Light Gardens

Postby whufc » Mon Feb 28, 2022 10:33 am

Brodlach wrote:I enjoy watching it, they have a red hot dip but I do think scoring is important. People want to see goals scored and I think increased goals means increased credibility.

I personally think the skills has increased a lot it’s game awareness that hasn’t. Too many panic possessions but that will come.

Agree, I wonder if the panicky possessions is due to the speed of the game and strength of the girls increasing each year under another year of professional training.

At a guess I wonder if the physical attributes of the game are increasing at a far great rate then the mental/education part of the game.

Far easier to get someone to bench 20kg heavier or box jump 20cm higher than it is to 'teach' football.
whufc
Coach

Postby gadj1976 » Mon Feb 28, 2022 10:50 am

whufc wrote:
Brodlach wrote:I enjoy watching it, they have a red hot dip but I do think scoring is important. People want to see goals scored and I think increased goals means increased credibility.

Agree, I wonder if the panicky possessions is due to the speed of the game and strength of the girls increasing each year under another year of professional training.

At a guess I wonder if the physical attributes of the game are increasing at a far great rate then the mental/education part of the game.

Far easier to get someone to bench 20kg heavier or box jump 20cm higher than it is to 'teach' football.

Spot on. And if these girls/women are like the girls/women at my club, they haven't had a football under their arm since aged 4 like my son has. They adopted the game much later. In comparison my daughter had never kicked a football till she was 12. So they're coming from a long way behind. For most of them to be at such a high standard at such an immature time for the sport I think is admirable.
gadj1976
Coach

Has liked: 795 times
Been liked: 849 times

Postby Trader » Mon Feb 28, 2022 11:36 am

The other thing is when it does come to teaching, it is easy to teach the defensive side of the game. Work rate, pressure acts and where to run.
Structures etc are knowledge that you can pick up relatively quickly.
Remaining calm and executing the offensive side of the game comes through experience, and there is no real shortcut for that.
Danny Southern telling Plugga he's fat, I'd like to see that!
Trader
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 60 times
Been liked: 794 times

Postby Lightning McQueen » Mon Feb 28, 2022 11:40 am

gadj1976 wrote:
Spot on. And if these girls/women are like the girls/women at my club, they haven't had a football under their arm since aged 4 like my son has. They adopted the game much later. In comparison my daughter had never kicked a football till she was 12. So they're coming from a long way behind. For most of them to be at such a high standard at such an immature time for the sport I think is admirable.

I umpired a final for your women's team and they were a fantastic bunch, they were atrocious conditions and they just gave it everything, pretty sure they won the flag after finishing 4th too.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Postby whufc » Mon Feb 28, 2022 11:44 am

Trader wrote:The other thing is when it does come to teaching, it is easy to teach the defensive side of the game. Work rate, pressure acts and where to run.
Structures etc are knowledge that you can pick up relatively quickly.
Remaining calm and executing the offensive side of the game comes through experience, and there is no real shortcut for that.

Very very true.

Defense can be solid via increased fitness and getting into good zones.......easyish to teach

Breaking good zones requires decent skills and strong decision making......much harder to teach without kicking a million balls and making those decisions time and time again.
Last edited by whufc on Mon Feb 28, 2022 11:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
whufc
Coach

Postby Lightning McQueen » Mon Feb 28, 2022 11:45 am

One difference is when blokes pick up the ball they immediately hold it as thought they would either kick it or handball, the women pick the ball up and then move the ball into the most comfortable position to execute the kick or the handball, hence why they take that fraction longer when disposing of it.

Because we are taught younger it's second nature to us, most of us can pick the ball up one handed and kick accurately in the same motion, generally our hands are larger too giving us greater control.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  AFL