I need to know....

Anything!

Re: I need to know....

Postby gazzamagoo » Fri Feb 25, 2022 11:20 am

The Bedge wrote:This probably wont make sense, and make me seem an arsehole (moreso), but why do countries / national leaders etc. feel the need to come out and comment on things such as the Russia / Ukraine situation?

For instance: "Joe Biden addresses the Russian invasion of Ukraine saying, ‘Putin and his country will bear the consequences.’ "

Or Scott Morrison having a press conference at the moment about it.

Why? Why comment to people of the countries not involved? What value does it all? What purpose does it serve?

Genuine questions, i'm confused.. it's sad the situation in the Ukraine for sure, but i'm not interested in my Prime Minister putting on his big boy pants and talking game about it.

We might become involved,
Putin wants his land back, he's left himself wide open to attack since NATO came in, he has no natural protection from the countries to the west of Russia, it's just a big flat wasteland & he's scared that the western countries, under NATO, might try to advance upon "his" land.
I reckon the world will let him take over the Ukraine BUT if he keeps heading west, then the schnitzel will hit ze fanski.
gazzamagoo
League - Top 5

Has liked: 1656 times
Been liked: 643 times
Grassroots Team: Salisbury

Postby whufc » Fri Feb 25, 2022 11:47 am

gazzamagoo wrote:
The Bedge wrote:This probably wont make sense, and make me seem an arsehole (moreso), but why do countries / national leaders etc. feel the need to come out and comment on things such as the Russia / Ukraine situation?

For instance: "Joe Biden addresses the Russian invasion of Ukraine saying, ‘Putin and his country will bear the consequences.’ "

Why? Why comment to people of the countries not involved? What value does it all? What purpose does it serve?

Genuine questions, i'm confused.. it's sad the situation in the Ukraine for sure, but i'm not interested in my Prime Minister putting on his big boy pants and talking game about it.

Putin wants his land back, he's left himself wide open to attack since NATO came in, he has no natural protection from the countries to the west of Russia, it's just a big flat wasteland & he's scared that the western countries, under NATO, might try to advance upon "his" land.
I reckon the world will let him take over the Ukraine BUT if he keeps heading west, then the schnitzel will hit ze fanski.

Yeah agree.

If it was guaranteed to be only Ukraine the west would turn a blind eye.

Sadly I cant see China not letting this oppurtunity slip either.
RIP PH408 63notoutforever
whufc
Coach

Has liked: 5551 times
Been liked: 2513 times
Grassroots Team: BSR

Postby Mr Beefy » Fri Feb 25, 2022 12:44 pm

FB_IMG_1645755188180.jpg
FB_IMG_1645755188180.jpg (42.85 KiB) Viewed 1958 times
Mr Beefy
Coach

Has liked: 404 times
Been liked: 648 times
Grassroots Team: Rosewater

Postby Jimmy_041 » Fri Feb 25, 2022 1:06 pm

whufc wrote:
gazzamagoo wrote:

Yeah agree.

If it was guaranteed to be only Ukraine the west would turn a blind eye.

Sadly I cant see China not letting this oppurtunity slip either.

History repeats itself: Czechoslovakia
Jimmy_041
Coach

Has liked: 718 times
Been liked: 1071 times
Grassroots Team: Prince Alfred OC

Postby Psyber » Sun Feb 27, 2022 3:28 pm

Following up on Ukraine with taking Lithuania would reconnect Russia with its remote territory, Kaliningrad, and give Russia and Belarus access to a port in the Baltic Sea. It may be on Putin's mind.
EPIGENETICS - Lamarck was right!
Psyber
Coach

Has liked: 103 times
Been liked: 389 times
Grassroots Team: Hahndorf

Postby whufc » Tue Mar 01, 2022 11:13 am

Peoples thoughts on sporting bodies such as FIFA coming out and banning Russian sporting teams.

Not sure where I sit on this one.

I mean sports is an extremely powerful tool but I always grew up in a don't mix sports and politics household.

Whilst I don't agree with what Russia are doing we have not seen FIFA ban teams such as the US, Iraq, Israel, Iran etc etc for politically aggressive actions.
whufc
Coach

Postby RB » Tue Mar 01, 2022 11:33 am

Meh, FIFA and the confederations have banned various teams over the years for all sorts of things. The Serbs being kicked out of the Euros for instance.

There was little controversy about South Africa being prevented from competing in many international sporting competitions.

I agree it's difficult to decide where to draw the line. But in reality politics has always been mixed up with sport.
R.I.P. the SANFL 1877 - 2013
RB
Coach

Has liked: 758 times
Been liked: 1068 times

Postby stan » Tue Mar 01, 2022 10:09 pm

FIFA taking the high road in any instance is almost laughable considering how corrupt they are.
Read my reply. It is directed at you because you have double standards
stan
Coach

Has liked: 88 times
Been liked: 1252 times
Grassroots Team: Goodwood Saints

Postby whufc » Wed Mar 02, 2022 10:28 am

stan wrote:FIFA taking the high road in any instance is almost laughable considering how corrupt they are.

100% Qatar anyone???
whufc
Coach

Postby Wedgie » Fri Mar 18, 2022 1:07 pm

Anyone know of a decent pub near the Docklands?
Currently down the other end of town but paying $15 for an Imperial.
Might head down to the other end of town well before the Saints/Collingwood game starts to avoid the rush.
Wedgie
Site Admin

Has liked: 2009 times
Been liked: 3846 times
Grassroots Team: Noarlunga

Postby Booney » Fri Mar 18, 2022 1:36 pm

Wedgie wrote:Anyone know of a decent pub near the Docklands?
Might head down to the other end of town well before the Saints/Collingwood game starts to avoid the rush.

Urban Alley Brewery is in the Harbour Town precinct. I haven't been there but I have tried their Nebula Hazy IPA.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7450 times
Been liked: 10717 times

Postby Spargo » Fri Mar 18, 2022 1:39 pm

Mail Exchange on Bourke St.
2017 safooty NFL tipping champ

Don’t lose your grip on the dreams of the past
You must fight just to keep them alive...
Spargo
Coach

Has liked: 5440 times
Been liked: 5079 times
Grassroots Team: Sacred Heart OC

Postby Lightning McQueen » Fri Mar 18, 2022 1:39 pm

Spargo wrote:

Mail Exchange on Bourke St.

Don't you mean "male"?
HOGG SHIELD DIVISION V WINNER 2018.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Has liked: 4336 times
Been liked: 7884 times

Postby Wedgie » Fri Mar 18, 2022 1:54 pm

Cheers gents, might try the Mail Exchange. The brewery looks a bit far away in the shopping district. (My missus hates shops)
Anyone tried the Nixon which is right next to Marvel?
Wedgie
Site Admin

Postby Jim05 » Fri Mar 18, 2022 2:04 pm

Wedgie wrote:Cheers gents, might try the Mail Exchange. The brewery looks a bit far away in the shopping district. (My missus hates shops)
Nixon is ok when a game is on at Marvel otherwise I don’t rate it highly
Jim05
Coach

Has liked: 1125 times
Been liked: 3533 times
Grassroots Team: South Gawler

Postby Wedgie » Fri Mar 18, 2022 4:15 pm

Nixon's was rubbish and everything along the docks is being reconstructed so ended up at the brewery Booney mentioned.
$14 a beer and a bit weird as it's in the middle of a shopping precinct, reminds me of Jungle Ceylon in Phuket.
Thank Christ for free trams otherwise the wife would have divorced me by now.
Wedgie
Site Admin

Postby RB » Fri Mar 18, 2022 4:45 pm

Been reading through this thread today, wondering why on earth it's so hard to find a decent place to have a beer in the Melbourne CBD (Melbourne is one of Australia's largest cities I believe).

I'll be thinking twice about visiting Melbourne for the footy, given the weird lack of decent pubs. I suppose living in Adelaide we get used to being able to obtain an alcoholic drink without looking around too much.

Come to think about it, the last time I saw Adelaide United at Docklands, I think we had the same issue.

Wedgie - I'm assuming you're not angling for a position with the Melbourne Tourism Commission.
R.I.P. the SANFL 1877 - 2013
RB
Coach

Has liked: 758 times
Been liked: 1068 times

Postby Wedgie » Fri Mar 18, 2022 5:07 pm

RB wrote:Been reading through this thread today, wondering why on earth it's so hard to find a decent place to have a beer in the Melbourne CBD (Melbourne is one of Australia's largest cities I believe).

I'll be thinking twice about visiting Melbourne for the footy, given the weird lack of decent pubs. I suppose living in Adelaide we get used to being able to obtain an alcoholic drink without looking around too much.

Come to think about it, the last time I saw Adelaide United at Docklands, I think we had the same issue.

Wedgie - I'm assuming you're not angling for a position with the Melbourne Tourism Commission.

The Melbourne CBD I have no problems with mate, know heaps of good joints as well as at Southbank and St Kilda but I'm lucky to get to Docklands once a decade. The last place I went to at the Docklands for a beer was the Woolshed and that whole pier is closed down.
I'm actually in the shopping precinct at a brewery atm and it's the first time I've ever been here as I always hang out in the CBD, Eastern CBD or Southbank.
The Docklands area looks like it was hit very hard by the pandemic from what au could gather today walking around. Most shops are still closed.
Have a 5 beer taster and some dip/bread in front of me so happy atm. :)

We are blessed in the Adelaide CBD though as I think we have more pubs per square km than anywhere else in the world.
Wedgie
Site Admin

Postby Pseudo » Fri Mar 18, 2022 6:17 pm

Wedgie wrote:Cheers gents, might try the Mail Exchange. The brewery looks a bit far away in the shopping district. (My missus hates shops)

:shock:
Clowns OUT. Smears OUT. RESIST THE OCCUPATION.
Pseudo
Coach

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 1553 times
Grassroots Team: Marion

Postby Pseudo » Fri Mar 18, 2022 6:42 pm

Wedgie wrote:
RB wrote:Been reading through this thread today, wondering why on earth it's so hard to find a decent place to have a beer in the Melbourne CBD (Melbourne is one of Australia's largest cities I believe).

We are blessed in the Adelaide CBD though as I think we have more pubs per square km than anywhere else in the world.

I mulled over those two comments, then went in search of some evidence. Going by the numbers on this page...
https://publocation.com.au/facts
... Adelaide might not have the most pubs in its CBD but is punching well above its weight. Melbourne must be a city of wowsers. :lol:
Clowns OUT. Smears OUT. RESIST THE OCCUPATION.
Pseudo
Coach

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 1553 times
Grassroots Team: Marion

PreviousNext

Board index   General Talk  General Discussion