Grade Cricket

Local cricket is the go here. Any talk about local comps, grade cricket, etc.

Re: Grade Cricket

Postby Minimum Chips » Sat Mar 19, 2022 9:18 pm

locky801 wrote:
Armchair expert wrote:First wicket was a bump ball

not what it says in the scorebook :shock:

Correct but I can't understand how the hell the umpires could not see that (as Eagles said the same as the hat trick ball). Unfortunately across the board the whole of SA cricket absolutely stinks.
Minimum Chips
Under 18s

Has liked: 31 times
Been liked: 51 times
Grassroots Team: Bute

Postby Aerie » Sat Mar 19, 2022 10:50 pm

Eagles2014 wrote:
Shark_Hunter wrote:Gutsy effort from Gibbo. Big 6 to bring up his ton, previous ball looked liked it really hurt his hand as well. Peters has made an invaluable 59*. Eagles in a good position now - 7/271.

Brilliant by Gibbo. Declared at 8/281. 12 overs tonight. Good declaration. Need two wickets tonight (would take one).

Hearing Buckingham only allowed to bowl 10 overs as debuting for Redbacks on Wednesday, that going to be very costly and put lots of pressure on Spencer :shock:

If that is true re Buckingham then there needs to be a complete clean out of every single person involved off field at the Redbacks. What could be better for a young bowlers development than the opportunity to bowl his team to a premiership. We see turnarounds in Test matches in similar timeframes. Surely not!?

TTG very negative with their tactics. Gibson very patient until struck on the hand and retiring hurt on 70. It appeared like that would be as good as a wicket and 200 looked doubtful, however Peters continued on and batted brilliantly. When the 7th wicket fell, Gibson returned, in obvious pain, to score a magnificent century and his partnership with Peters (65*) saw the Eagles to a position of strength declaring at 8/281.

Drew declared perhaps a few overs short of what might’ve been expected, but it proved to be a master stroke. The best bowler in Premier Cricket cleaned up the TTG top order to have them 3/3. TTG will have to bat out of their skins to win tomorrow. With no spinner for TTG - it remains to be seen if the wicket has something for Fallins. There were a few that certainly jumped today - including the ball that fell Gibson.
Aerie
Coach

Has liked: 147 times
Been liked: 504 times

Postby Minimum Chips » Sun Mar 20, 2022 8:36 am

Aerie wrote:
Eagles2014 wrote:
Shark_Hunter wrote:Gutsy effort from Gibbo. Big 6 to bring up his ton, previous ball looked liked it really hurt his hand as well. Peters has made an invaluable 59*. Eagles in a good position now - 7/271.

Brilliant by Gibbo. Declared at 8/281. 12 overs tonight. Good declaration. Need two wickets tonight (would take one).

Hearing Buckingham only allowed to bowl 10 overs as debuting for Redbacks on Wednesday, that going to be very costly and put lots of pressure on Spencer :shock:

If that is true re Buckingham then there needs to be a complete clean out of every single person involved off field at the Redbacks. What could be better for a young bowlers development than the opportunity to bowl his team to a premiership. We see turnarounds in Test matches in similar timeframes. Surely not!?

TTG very negative with their tactics. Gibson very patient until struck on the hand and retiring hurt on 70. It appeared like that would be as good as a wicket and 200 looked doubtful, however Peters continued on and batted brilliantly. When the 7th wicket fell, Gibson returned, in obvious pain, to score a magnificent century and his partnership with Peters (65*) saw the Eagles to a position of strength declaring at 8/281.

Drew declared perhaps a few overs short of what might’ve been expected, but it proved to be a master stroke. The best bowler in Premier Cricket cleaned up the TTG top order to have them 3/3. TTG will have to bat out of their skins to win tomorrow. With no spinner for TTG - it remains to be seen if the wicket has something for Fallins. There were a few that certainly jumped today - including the ball that fell Gibson.

Apologies if the following should be on the Domestic Cricket thread (admin please move if required) but with all due respect to the young lad he appears to be nothing more than an honest workhorse. If he's picked (unless it cover for Covid?) then pretty much what Hussey said is continuing to happen with the Redbacks. An acceptance and rewarding of mediocrity. The lad has not taken more than 3 wickets in an innings. Why not Johnson instead? He has more "X Factor" but I suppose being from SA is penalising him. They have to pick another interstater so as to justify recruiting him in the first place. Hell they can't even bring themselves to give an opportunity to a born and bred SA youngster who averaged 140 with the bat this season. Instead they keep rewarding blokes from interstate who average 16 for SA this season.
Minimum Chips
Under 18s

Postby Eagles2014 » Sun Mar 20, 2022 12:43 pm

Great first session for the Eagles. 6/106 at Lunch.

Stating the obvious, but the next wicket the key. TTG senior players Weaver and Somerfield both looking very comfortable. Last three batters have not had great years with bat so would be game over. Won’t feel safe till they are 7 down :shock:
Eagles2014
Veteran

Has liked: 124 times
Been liked: 526 times

Postby Minimum Chips » Sun Mar 20, 2022 12:50 pm

Looks like a lot of feeling in this game. Have a look at the Pannell send-off. What's going on there? Was he a bit chirpy when WT were batting? Nice catch by the way!!
Minimum Chips
Under 18s

Postby Eagles2014 » Sun Mar 20, 2022 3:32 pm

Minimum Chips wrote:Looks like a lot of feeling in this game. Have a look at the Pannell send-off. What's going on there? Was he a bit chirpy when WT were batting? Nice catch by the way!!

Hearing from the game was a bit happening. Weaver and Somerfield giving plenty. Explains the send off Weaver got.

Weaver was sledging Buckingham saying you have only taken 20 wickets this season, how you get picked for Redbacks, etc. Buckingham replied that you will be my 21st wicket, then proceeded to get him out. Funny stuff :D
Eagles2014
Veteran

Postby Shark_Hunter » Sun Mar 20, 2022 5:51 pm

Massive win for the Eagles after a determined rearguard by Somerfield and Oakley for the 9th wicket, Short came on and caught Somerfield in front then Oakley holed out to give the Eagles the win. Full respect to TTG for fighting it out, as Gatting said the Eagles won the big moments with Gibson coming back to post his 100 with a broken thumb and Spon taking 3 in an over last night. Gibson deservedly announced Hookes Medallist and big celebrations underway at Henley Beach.
Shark_Hunter
Under 16s

Has liked: 89 times
Been liked: 27 times

Postby Eagles2014 » Sun Mar 20, 2022 6:47 pm

Shark_Hunter wrote:Massive win for the Eagles after a determined rearguard by Somerfield and Oakley for the 9th wicket, Short came on and caught Somerfield in front then Oakley holed out to give the Eagles the win. Full respect to TTG for fighting it out, as Gatting said the Eagles won the big moments with Gibson coming back to post his 100 with a broken thumb and Spon taking 3 in an over last night. Gibson deservedly announced Hookes Medallist and big celebrations underway at Henley Beach.

Great summary. Although Gatting/Weaver were pi55ed off they were seemingly disrespected by Kensington thinking they had the easier final last week, I think deep down everyone agreed. Would not have liked to face Kensington this weekend. TTG did an amazing job to make the GF, they were probably the 7th best team in the comp, with Glenelg, Adelaide Uni and even Woodville better in my opinion.

Pretty good reflection on the junior program at WT despite some incorrect comments around, five years ago we had 11 of the 12 players come thru the juniors and this year there were 9 of the 12 (Gibson, Fallins, Buckingham). Maybe a few changes to this group next season though, but sure they will enjoy the moment for now.
Eagles2014
Veteran

Postby Eagles2014 » Sun Mar 20, 2022 6:51 pm

Congrats to Corona Man and his lad who won the flag for Kensington in the 3rd Grade today. He took couple of great catches as keeper (well done for setting up Frogbox too CM, a first for Col Waite oval I reckon - was great to watch after the 1st and 2nd Grade games finished early).

Enjoy the celebrations tonight, couple of premierships should make for fun night :D
Eagles2014
Veteran

Postby Aerie » Sun Mar 20, 2022 9:45 pm

I sat at the past players lunch a few weeks ago thinking what a missed opportunity. Such a talented group would miss the finals. We were 5/80 against Adelaide, sitting in 5th position, and all of TTG, Uni and Glenelg were flying in their games. Pointon and Fisher put together a valuable partnership to push the total to something that could be defended. It was defended and all eyes turned to Park 25 for the first miracle to play out.

Matthew Sugg hit 146*, using up 283 balls as Southern District, with 0 points registered for the season, batted out 118 overs and used up 9 wickets to hold on for a draw against the reigning premiers. West Torrens would sneak into the 4. Glenelg and University would finish 5th and 6th - very good teams would miss finals. It was a very strong top 6.

To Price Memorial to play the strong batting line up of Sturt, the minor premiers, who would win the toss and bat. A battle of attrition. After being unable to bowl out Uni in the Semi Final the year before, Sturt would reach stumps 5/300 and a repeat was looking a possibility. But, the Eagles would come out on the 2nd morning and bowl Sturt out, giving them the opportunity to score at 5 runs an over over 75 overs to win the game. Unlikely? Not to a couple of Bradman medalists - Smith with 169 and Drew with a quick fire 98 - leading the Eagles to an unlikely victory with 8 balls to spare.

On to the Grand Final and just as it was in the One Day Grand Final, it was a partnership between Gibson and Peters that looked like steering the Eagles to a competitive total. Until an Oakley delivery jumped off a length to break Gibson’s hand. 5 down, as good as 6 it was thought. Then 7 down for 220 - not a bad total, but with just the two tail enders to come it was still advantage Tea Tree Gully. It was surprising to see Gibson return, bat held in left hand, to perhaps support Peters in guiding West Torrens to a competitive 250? It wasn’t expected he and Peters would finish off what they started and put Tea Tree Gully to the sword in the final session. A powerful off drive to the fielder saw the bottom hand come off the bat wincing with pain, before the next ball was smashed high over mid-on to bring up one of the great centuries and an attacking declaration from Drew to give his spearheads 12 overs at TTG before stumps.

Perhaps it was cricket karma from the week before? 34 overs of hard toil in the Semi Final. Cricket is often a patience game, things don’t happen quickly. Except on those odd occasions when everything happens, and that was the 3rd over of Tea Tree Gully’s innings. Johnson picking up 3 wickets in 1 over to have West Torrens with one hand on the trophy overnight. A brilliant one handed catch by Smith at 2nd slip off the bowling of Short got West Torrens’ away on day 2, before Fallins took over from the Henley Beach end, bowling 24 overs straight and picking up 4/61 to cap off an excellent season for him. It seemed only a matter of time and highly likely those Crows supporters at Glenelg Oval would get to the season opener before the first bounce, except for a determined 8th wicket partnership between Somerfield and Oakley ruined those plans. Then, just for a brief moment, I thought surely the cricket gods couldn’t abandon us now. Drew went off concussed after a horrible hit to the head at bat-pad and the Eagles couldn’t buy the 9th wicket. But, patience. The 9th and 10th wickets would come, the final wicket fittingly being an outstanding catch in the outfield from Nielsen.

And so, well deserved celebrations back at Henley Oval and much pride felt for a club with a big heart and plenty of soul.
Aerie
Coach

Has liked: 147 times
Been liked: 504 times

Postby Eagles2014 » Sun Mar 20, 2022 10:50 pm

Great summary Aerie. So many moments in the season and the last few weeks where things could have turned out so differently. At the start of the season it was thought this list had the potential to win the Triple again, unheard of with how tight the comp is and only been done once before five years ago by WT.

The 20/20 was the most confident, so many great players of that format in the team, a loss in the last round with a depleted team and Joshua Barrett masterclass was a devastating result. They did not drop their bundle, and week by week just peaked at the right time.

To complete the One day/Two Day double is still a remarkable achievement.

At the start of the season we had every player wanting to come to us who was moving from interstate. Had to say no to Doggett and MCAndrew in particular as could not fit them all in. The one we needed the most and had to get was Fallins. I felt he was the missing piece to go all the way. Proved to be correct as had an amazing year. Buckingham choosing us over Sturt was also incredibly important.
Eagles2014
Veteran

Postby Corona Man » Mon Mar 21, 2022 7:53 am

Eagles2014 wrote:Congrats to Corona Man and his lad who won the flag for Kensington in the 3rd Grade today. He took couple of great catches as keeper (well done for setting up Frogbox too CM, a first for Col Waite oval I reckon - was great to watch after the 1st and 2nd Grade games finished early).

Enjoy the celebrations tonight, couple of premierships should make for fun night :D

I believe I may have passed away overnight…. Can someone stop the drumming in my head!

I left at 1am boys were heading into the city. **** knows how that ended up.

I only carried the frog up to Col Waite, too many cables and shit for me to work out. Left that to the blokes who know what they were doing.

After that I filled, and proceeded to empty an esky!
1961, 1971, 1976, 1978, 1983, 1986, 1988, 1989, 1991, 2008, 2013, 2014, 2015.... And don't you forget it!
Corona Man
Coach

Has liked: 1278 times
Been liked: 3485 times
Grassroots Team: Echunga

Postby Bob_Langdon1964 » Mon Mar 21, 2022 4:37 pm

Well done to West Torrens for Winning the double. Agree with everyone on here, especially Eagles as you put it you guys weren’t the best team all year and in fact very fortunate to make it into the 4 at the end of the season. Came out on top in the Final with all the 50/50 decisions going their way. Gutsy for Gibson to come back out, More grit than quality but earned himself and his team the win. Spenser showed why he doesn’t get a crack at the next level, flat pitch and never looked threatening at all, 2 out of his 3 were incorrectly given out. Then was made to look like he was bowling pedestrian on the Sunday, cleaning up the tail should of been his bread and butter. Buckingham unfortunately another poor case of Redbacks High Performance gone wrong. Poor kid is getting thrown to the wolves, a taller poor man’s Chadd Sayers with less quarter of the skill.

Shame about the Somerfield dismissal, half an appeal more so in desperation than for anything, replay suggests outside the line plus clearly two noises. West Torrens thankful again like they were against us in the One Day Final. Would have liked to see how much more complaining they would of done after the Tea Break when TTG pushed closer and closer. Wasn’t to be.

West Torrens behaviour was Embarrassing to say the least. A friend of mine who hasn’t been to a Grade game in a while said it was unbelievable to see and hear how they were going about their cricket, let alone it was those players who are in our high performance squad carrying on like children. Very disappointing from the WT group and they all need to have a real good look at themselves.

Very good season by TTG, given they have only Oakley, and Head (faced 6 balls one Game) and all the other teams in the top 7 collectively make up the entire Redbacks squad that needs to be applauded. Professional Cricketers versus average joe blow who works Mon-Fri to rock up on a Saturday and compete. Hats off to Gatting and Co. You really shouldn’t have competed, and before someone jumps up and down and says it’s because they cheat etc etc get your facts right before making accusations! Funnily enough WT have a larger reputation of cheating than TTG.

Bring on the Footy Season, Go you Bays
Bob_Langdon1964
Mini-League

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 0 time
Grassroots Team: Prince Alfred OC

Postby billy » Mon Mar 21, 2022 5:37 pm

You can get help for your anger and bitterness Bobby. You got through the first sentence and then it all went downhill from there.

What I would say if you can cope with other people having a viewpoint is that your club has a very good side when they are all available, it is tough when First class commitments prevent you from participating in grade cricket.

And I agree, sometimes teams can be on the end of good fortune, finals are full of those stories.

You have made some ridiculous accusations and observations, competitive sport is full of challenging situations, I am sure we could all do better when we are given a rerun at life.

I have no interest in discussing it any further with you - I am sure you are quite capable of ramming emotional, unbalanced rubbish down other people's throats and I will leave it there so you can finish the script.
billy

Been liked: 26 times
Grassroots Team: Andamooka

Postby bulldogproud » Mon Mar 21, 2022 5:42 pm

I just googled 'post from a sad bad loser' and it had Bob Langdon's post above. That has to be about the worst post ever on this thread. As for West Torrens being a team of professional cricketers 9 of the 12 were from West Torrens' junior program - not many clubs can boast that about their A Grade side.
Well done to the Eagles on a well-deserved premiership.
Cheers
A Bulldog in winter; a WTDCC Eagle and OICC Wolf in Summer!
bulldogproud
League - Top 5

Has liked: 489 times
Been liked: 401 times
Grassroots Team: Imperials

Postby helicopterking » Mon Mar 21, 2022 5:43 pm

Can someone put the toys back in the cot please.
helicopterking
Coach

Has liked: 298 times
Been liked: 667 times

Postby Bob_Langdon1964 » Mon Mar 21, 2022 7:22 pm

So when West Torrens merge with Woodville, what’s their lineup going to look like full strength next season?

Also a lot of Talk about Port / Northern Districts merge.

Adelaide / Sturt.

Always the same chat once the season comes to an end!
Bob_Langdon1964
Mini-League

Been liked: 0 time
Grassroots Team: Prince Alfred OC

Postby DOC » Mon Mar 21, 2022 7:25 pm

WAFDH

You must be mates with Daisy and Apache
DOC
Coach

Has liked: 729 times
Been liked: 2085 times

Postby heater31 » Mon Mar 21, 2022 7:44 pm

Bob_Langdon1964 wrote:So when West Torrens merge with Woodville, what’s their lineup going to look like full strength next season?

Adelaide / Sturt.

After the disaster attempt to merge 2 clubs last year, I think mergers are off the table for a couple of years.

No one on here has mentioned possible mergers until your post.

Maybe next time leave your salt at Glenelg for that long drive back to Pertaringa
heater31

Has liked: 525 times
Been liked: 1263 times

Postby bowl100 » Mon Mar 21, 2022 8:01 pm

Bob_Langdon1964 wrote:So when West Torrens merge with Woodville, what’s their lineup going to look like full strength next season?

Adelaide / Sturt.

Look forward to Tea Tree Gully merging with the sandpaper and sunscreen they use to get the ball swinging
bowl100
Mini-League

Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 1 time

PreviousNext

Board index   Other Sports  Regional Cricket Comps