The South Australian Political Landscape

Labor, Liberal, Greens, Democrats? Here's the place to discuss.

Re: The South Australian Political Landscape

Postby Psyber » Sun Mar 20, 2022 10:54 am

I generally support unions, but with one reservation.

I want their primary purpose to be to support the real needs and rights of the workers - and not necessarily to seek political power by favouring any political party. Giving party support priority to any one party over what is best for their membership is short-sighted.

PS: I had a brief chat with Peter Malinauskas at the ANZ Community Ball charity event on Saturday the 5th - just a few days before I got Covid. I suspect the Ball was where I picked it up but SA Health says the exposure has to have been at least a couple days later by the timing.

(The only puzzling thing is I hadn't had close contact with anyone but my wife after Sunday 6th, and she didn't come down with Covid until two or three days after me. There was a private Cocktail party the evening of Sunday 6th, but nobody else who was there has reported becoming ill.)
EPIGENETICS - Lamarck was right!
Psyber
Coach

Has liked: 103 times
Been liked: 389 times
Grassroots Team: Hahndorf

Postby heater31 » Sun Mar 20, 2022 11:17 am

LaughingKookaburra wrote:I still don’t understand how we are going to fix the “ramping crisis” without any more beds. In 6 months time are we still going to see Ambo’s with writing on them because FMC have huge lines still? There are many good things that Labor put forward but I just can’t fathom their statements on the health system in SA.
Excellent campaign by the powerfull Ambulance Employees Association to gain more members.

They will be back at it in 2 years saying nothing has changed!
heater31

Has liked: 525 times
Been liked: 1259 times

Postby am Bays » Sun Mar 20, 2022 11:35 am

heater31 wrote:
LaughingKookaburra wrote:I still don’t understand how we are going to fix the “ramping crisis” without any more beds. In 6 months time are we still going to see Ambo’s with writing on them because FMC have huge lines still? There are many good things that Labor put forward but I just can’t fathom their statements on the health system in SA.
Excellent campaign by the powerfull Ambulance Employees Association to gain more members.

Exactly

More ambulances just means more people dying in the back of an ambulance outside an ED or at home with an ambulance crew there.

The problem is Patient Flow in the hospitals to clear the EDs and “downstream” transfer of care from the hospital to the Primary healthcare network (GPS and community healthcare).

All this is going to go is out more stress on overworked Emergency Department MOs and Nurses.
Let that be a lesson to you Port, no one beats the Bays five times in a row in a GF and gets away with it!!!
am Bays
Coach

Has liked: 162 times
Been liked: 1804 times

Postby Jim05 » Sun Mar 20, 2022 11:39 am

am Bays wrote:
heater31 wrote:

Exactly

More ambulances just means more people dying in the back of an ambulance outside an ED or at home with an ambulance crew there.

The problem is Patient Flow in the hospitals to clear the EDs and “downstream” transfer of care from the hospital to the Primary healthcare network (GPS and community healthcare).

All this is going to go is out more stress on overworked Emergency Department MOs and Nurses.
It’s almost as though we need more beds at the RAH.
Amazing foresight to blow $2.3bn on a new hospital with the same capacity as the old one ;)
Jim05
Coach

Has liked: 1125 times
Been liked: 3534 times
Grassroots Team: South Gawler

Postby LaughingKookaburra » Sun Mar 20, 2022 2:04 pm

heater31 wrote:

That’s where you are wrong, I bet any money you won’t hear them in the media now they ultimately got what they wanted. Ramping has been a major issue for longer than just the last 3-4 years. The incoming government is now acting as the white knight was the ones that built a smaller hospital and were closing the Repat. Take a step back and imagine if the Repat shut through Covid….. Seriously!
Can you bring a man to his feet when defeat is on repeat?
LaughingKookaburra
Coach

Has liked: 72 times
Been liked: 738 times
Grassroots Team: Kenilworth

Postby stan » Mon Mar 21, 2022 7:14 am

LaughingKookaburra wrote:
heater31 wrote:

That’s where you are wrong, I bet any money you won’t hear them in the media now they ultimately got what they wanted. Ramping has been a major issue for longer than just the last 3-4 years. The incoming government is now acting as the white knight was the ones that built a smaller hospital and were closing the Repat. Take a step back and imagine if the Repat shut through Covid….. Seriously!
I suspect that you are correct.

The unions certainly painted the picture of the health and ramping crisis out there and then coupled with Labor hammering that basketball stadium it seemed to get the result.

Interesting that the safe seat of Unley is now a marginal seat. Still held by David Pisoni but not as safe. Although it did take a 9% against the Libs for this to get close, so it's unlikely they'll do as badly at the next election.

Another interesting point is who takes up the Liberal leadership?
Read my reply. It is directed at you because you have double standards
stan
Coach

Has liked: 88 times
Been liked: 1253 times
Grassroots Team: Goodwood Saints

Postby MW » Mon Mar 21, 2022 7:46 am

It won't be more beds that reduces ramping (I wont say eliminates cause that wont happen) but it will be increased turnover of patients i.e. not keeping them in longer than they need too, moving them to hotels similar to what they do with women after labour etc.
MW
Coach

Has liked: 2581 times
Been liked: 1822 times

Postby Wedgie » Mon Mar 21, 2022 8:12 am

MW wrote:It won't be more beds that reduces ramping (I wont say eliminates cause that wont happen) but it will be increased turnover of patients i.e. not keeping them in longer than they need too, moving them to hotels similar to what they do with women after labour etc.

It may be just a matter of moving patients to appropriate wards more efficiently.
I was in Flinders Emergency once for almost 10 hours because they thought they couldn't find a spot for me in the cardiac ward. At 4am they finally moved me to the cardiac ward and the staff in there told me they were near empty and had been for days. Had almost the entire ward to myself after spending 10 hours in a packed emergency ward for no reason.
The organisation in the place was horrific.
Wedgie
Site Admin

Has liked: 2020 times
Been liked: 3862 times
Grassroots Team: Noarlunga

Postby MW » Mon Mar 21, 2022 8:24 am

Wedgie wrote:
MW wrote:It won't be more beds that reduces ramping (I wont say eliminates cause that wont happen) but it will be increased turnover of patients i.e. not keeping them in longer than they need too, moving them to hotels similar to what they do with women after labour etc.

It may be just a matter of moving patients to appropriate wards more efficiently.
I was in Flinders Emergency once for almost 10 hours because they thought they couldn't find a spot for me in the cardiac ward. At 4am they finally moved me to the cardiac ward and the staff in there told me they were near empty and had been for days. Had almost the entire ward to myself after spending 10 hours in a packed emergency ward for no reason.

Yep you're right.
MW
Coach

Postby Dutchy » Mon Mar 21, 2022 8:27 am

Love to be a fly on the wall in Mali's office this week -

"are you sure we promised that?" "How the f... are we going to pay for that" "Get me Kouts on the phone!"
Dutchy
Site Admin

Has liked: 2311 times
Been liked: 3482 times

Postby Booney » Mon Mar 21, 2022 8:27 am

Brodlach wrote:Not sure if Rob Lucas on channel 9 has said more than 4 words

F*ck him.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7467 times
Been liked: 10755 times

Postby Booney » Mon Mar 21, 2022 8:32 am

It'll take time and Marshall was already well into fixing the issue. Both Flinders and Lyell Mc are or about to have increased capacity ED departments opened and the QEH redevelopment will give increased surgical capacity for elective surgeries.

Malinauskas said this morning it will take 4 years to fix the problem that in no uncertain terms he helped cause.

Part of the problem with hospitals is our ageing population, in real terms those between nursing homes and passing away are in greater numbers than ever before. We need more beds for those people and it's only going to increase over the next 10 years.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby MW » Mon Mar 21, 2022 8:42 am

Isnt that what the stadium money is funding? more beds?
MW
Coach

Postby Booney » Mon Mar 21, 2022 8:52 am

MW wrote:Isnt that what the stadium money is funding? more beds?

You don't just put more beds in a system.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby tnt » Mon Mar 21, 2022 9:45 am

The Stadium was part of the Convention centre upgrade not happening until 2026 so the money isn't sitting there ready to use.
Think the Liberals were going to sell the Entertainment centre to help fund it.

It's good that Health finally gets some voter traction but Labor's costings released one day before the election doesn't indicate anything very creative on the funding model. The reduction of Public Servant executives (long overdue) in "non essential" services will take years . These guys are on contracts and so its not just a case of see ya later, now we have money.

Not sure who will be the Liberal leader. Spiers is a very good operator and will be a good attack dog but is from the Christian Right.
tnt
Rookie

Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 11 times

Postby Jim05 » Mon Mar 21, 2022 9:48 am

tnt wrote:The Stadium was part of the Convention centre upgrade not happening until 2026 so the money isn't sitting there ready to use.
Think the Liberals were going to sell the Entertainment centre to help fund it.

It's good that Health finally gets some voter traction but Labor's costings released one day before the election doesn't indicate anything very creative on the funding model. The reduction of Public Servant executives (long overdue) in "non essential" services will take years . These guys are on contracts and so its not just a case of see ya later, now we have money.

Not sure who will be the Liberal leader. Spiers is a very good operator and will be a good attack dog but is from the Christian Right.
If that god bothering loon takes over the leadership that would be the end of them as far as my support goes.
Already too many bible bashers in politics
Jim05
Coach

Has liked: 1125 times
Been liked: 3534 times
Grassroots Team: South Gawler

Postby Booney » Mon Mar 21, 2022 9:52 am

The loss of that conservative vote is part of the reason Marshall lost, typically he would have had their support, not this time. Will be interesting to see which faction wins the Liberal leadership fight.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby RB » Mon Mar 21, 2022 10:16 am

Jim05 wrote:Already too many bible bashers in politics

Yep. Atheists are just about the most under-represented cohort in Australian politics, when compared to the population at large. Meanwhile, fundamentalist Christians are just about the most over-represented.
R.I.P. the SANFL 1877 - 2013
RB
Coach

Has liked: 759 times
Been liked: 1073 times

Postby DOC » Mon Mar 21, 2022 10:24 am

Spiers and Tarzia (should he get elected) will form a ticket.

Marshall will be praying now that he does in fact lose his seat. Currently trailing by 150 votes with over 40% still to be counted.

Traditionally, early/postal voting favoured the libs, Think it will be very close.
DOC
Coach

Has liked: 723 times
Been liked: 2076 times

Postby Psyber » Mon Mar 21, 2022 12:08 pm

Wedgie wrote:

The idea, even if there are beds available, is to keep them empty so the number of nurses needed to look after the patients in the wards is less. Another past mistake was moving nursing training from the hospitals to the Education facilities. Administrators thought they could save money by not having to pay for the training staff. They overlooked that fact that trainee nurses under senior nurse supervision kept the beds open at lower cost than hiring nurses trained elsewhere.
EPIGENETICS - Lamarck was right!
Psyber
Coach

Has liked: 103 times
Been liked: 389 times
Grassroots Team: Hahndorf

PreviousNext

Board index   General Talk  Politics