No more Adelaide 500 - Super Cars

Cars, V8 racing, F1 racing, motorbikes, vintage, new, mechanical

Re: No more Adelaide 500 - Super Cars

Postby locky801 » Sun Mar 20, 2022 4:20 pm

Armchair expert wrote:Didn't Marshall sell all the equipment?

Donated i believe however Supercars these days have all their own infrastructure which will be trucked in
if we dont believe in tomorrow where do we go
locky801
Coach

Has liked: 3615 times
Been liked: 1155 times

Postby Psyber » Mon Mar 21, 2022 12:01 pm

Adelaide is hard enough to get around in without clogging up the normal roads with Motorsport for the small percentage interested in it.

In the Grand Prix days my medical practice office was on the other side of the GP site from my home and getting to and from was a total pain. I just gave up and took the time off. (Colleagues in Melbourne had the same issue after Lyn Arnold helped SA dump it on to them.)

Sure, run races for those interested but keep them off the public roads.
EPIGENETICS - Lamarck was right!
Psyber
Coach

Has liked: 103 times
Been liked: 389 times
Grassroots Team: Hahndorf

Postby RB » Mon Mar 21, 2022 1:21 pm

I've no interest in motor sport but I wouldn't have thought that up to four days of irritation every year was that much of a burden to bear? Particularly if the race generates crowds and money. At any rate, public roads are closed for all sorts of things these days.
R.I.P. the SANFL 1877 - 2013
RB
Coach

Has liked: 758 times
Been liked: 1068 times

Postby Jim05 » Mon Mar 21, 2022 1:22 pm

RB wrote:I've no interest in motor sport but I wouldn't have thought that up to four days of irritation every year was that much of a burden to bear? Particularly if the race generates crowds and money. At any rate, public roads are closed for all sorts of things these days.
I think it’s more the lead in time.
They pull the track apart amazingly quickly but going up seems to take forever. It doesn’t bother me as I know to avoid that part of town for a couple of weeks each year
Jim05
Coach

Has liked: 1125 times
Been liked: 3533 times
Grassroots Team: South Gawler

Postby Wedgie » Mon Mar 21, 2022 1:31 pm

Jim05 wrote:
RB wrote:I've no interest in motor sport but I wouldn't have thought that up to four days of irritation every year was that much of a burden to bear? Particularly if the race generates crowds and money. At any rate, public roads are closed for all sorts of things these days.
I think it’s more the lead in time.
They pull the track apart amazingly quickly but going up seems to take forever. It doesn’t bother me as I know to avoid that part of town for a couple of weeks each year

I avoid it 52 weeks of the year so I'm fine with it! :D
Wedgie
Site Admin

Has liked: 2009 times
Been liked: 3846 times
Grassroots Team: Noarlunga

Postby Booney » Mon Mar 21, 2022 1:40 pm

Psyber wrote:Adelaide is hard enough to get around in without clogging up the normal roads with Motorsport for the small percentage interested in it.

In the Grand Prix days my medical practice office was on the other side of the GP site from my home and getting to and from was a total pain. I just gave up and took the time off. (Colleagues in Melbourne had the same issue after Lyn Arnold helped SA dump it on to them.)

Turns Adelaide from a 20 minute city into a 40 minute city for a month, it can be tolerated, I'm sure.

Plus, anything that riles up those blue bloods on the east after Saturday is fine by me. :lol:
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7450 times
Been liked: 10717 times

Postby tigerpie » Mon Mar 21, 2022 4:02 pm

Quarter of a million people attend.
How many other events in Adelaide draw that sort of crowd?
The city comes alive, shops get customers and we get free city and sa tourist promotion.
Sorry it inconveniences some people for a short time but hey you could always move ;)
tigerpie
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 497 times
Been liked: 429 times

Postby Psyber » Mon Mar 21, 2022 6:10 pm

tigerpie wrote:Quarter of a million people attend.
The city comes alive, shops get customers and we get free city and sa tourist promotion.
Sorry it inconveniences some people for a short time but hey you could always move ;)

I did.. :lol:
First to the Hahndorf region, then to Melbourne - the Dandenong Ranges nowhere near their car race.
On my return from Melbourne I elected to stay well away from any car racing area.
I did consider Stonyfell as you could avoid going near the race area from there but in the end I headed for the hills again.
I did go to car races at Rowley Park once or twice when I was about 12 as I grew up nearby, but it didn't grab me then either as I'm not fond of the noise and smell. I try to avoid crowds too!

I would sooner drive a car fast than watch it. (My personal land speed record driving a car designed for every day use on the SE freeway was touch over 240kph - back in the pre-laser gun days.)
Psyber
Coach

Postby DOC » Mon Mar 21, 2022 6:46 pm

Booney wrote:
Psyber wrote:Adelaide is hard enough to get around in without clogging up the normal roads with Motorsport for the small percentage interested in it.

Turns Adelaide from a 20 minute city into a 40 minute city for a month, it can be tolerated, I'm sure.

Plus, anything that riles up those blue bloods on the east after Saturday is fine by me. :lol:

You mean where all the port board members live?
Last edited by DOC on Mon Mar 21, 2022 6:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DOC
Coach

Has liked: 720 times
Been liked: 2071 times

Postby DOC » Mon Mar 21, 2022 6:49 pm

Psyber wrote:

First to the Hahndorf region, then to Melbourne - the Dandenong Ranges nowhere near their car race.
On my return from Melbourne I elected to stay well away from any car racing area.
I did consider Stonyfell as you could avoid going near the race area from there but in the end I headed for the hills again.
I did go to car races at Rowley Park once or twice when I was about 12 as I grew up nearby, but it didn't grab me then either as I'm not fond of the noise and smell. I try to avoid crowds too!

I would sooner drive a car fast than watch it. (My personal land speed record driving a car designed for every day use on the SE freeway was touch over 240kph - back in the pre-laser gun days.)

Sorry to say this but probably the most irresponsible act confessed to on here. Disgracefull.

Beats my 230 in a GTHO falcon whilst well over the limit.
DOC
Coach

Has liked: 720 times
Been liked: 2071 times

Postby tigerpie » Mon Mar 21, 2022 7:36 pm

Charming dick measuring comp fellas.

Not throwing stones though.
tigerpie
Assistant Coach

Postby Psyber » Tue Mar 22, 2022 12:35 pm

DOC wrote:
Psyber wrote:

Sorry to say this but probably the most irresponsible act confessed to on here. Disgracefull.

Beats my 230 in a GTHO falcon whilst well over the limit.

My last V8 was a 1968 HK 327 Holden Monaro. Never owned a Ford.
(After that I moved on to a Datsun 260Z then a Porsche.)
Psyber
Coach

Postby tipper » Fri Mar 25, 2022 3:33 pm

we close king william street every weekend when there are AFL games on at adelaide oval dont we? just as an example

people only complain about things being a problem when they arent personally interested in them.

i go to the V8's every year, so i dont mind the closed roads (probably helps i live north, not east too :) )
tipper
League - Top 5

Has liked: 359 times
Been liked: 531 times
Grassroots Team: Peake

Postby amber_fluid » Fri Mar 25, 2022 4:41 pm

tipper wrote:

we close king william street every weekend when there are AFL games on at adelaide oval dont we? just as an example

people only complain about things being a problem when they arent personally interested in them.

i go to the V8's every year, so i dont mind the closed roads (probably helps i live north, not east too :) )

I live in the west and work in the east and have to battle this each year.
Small price to pay given the $$ and excitement it creates.
There are no stupid questions, just stupid people.
amber_fluid
Coach

Has liked: 2214 times
Been liked: 2505 times

Postby tigerpie » Fri Mar 25, 2022 7:33 pm

Any activity that brings in $40 mill would get my vote
Its a no brainer.
Sanity and not self interest prevails.
tigerpie
Assistant Coach

Postby Booney » Tue Aug 02, 2022 1:00 pm

*Bumper*

It's back, the Adelaide 500 from December 1-4 will culminate with The Killers headlining the Sunday night concert.

Mr Brightside live, will be worth seeing.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7450 times
Been liked: 10717 times

Postby Psyber » Wed Aug 03, 2022 11:03 am

tipper wrote:

From my point of view, we should have left the AFL in Melbourne and kept the SANFL alive at West Lakes! ;)
Mind you that didn't thrill me during the short time I lived on Delfin Island.

I only lasted there 6 months but that was because I was developing Fibromyalgia due to the industrial pollution in the area - it happened to me when I lived in Prospect too. After that I've stayed away from industrial areas.

(Allergic issues run in both my parents families. I'm lucky mine are minimal and avoidable.)
Psyber
Coach

Postby tipper » Mon Dec 05, 2022 11:12 am

well, the race was back on, and seemed to be pretty good to me

there were a few differences from the last time that it was run, mostly as this government didnt seem to be deliberately trying to run it down.

the premier was even cheered when he was announced to present the winners trophy on sunday. so the attendees certainly seemed happy with his decision to bring it back.

look forward to going again in late november next year.
tipper
League - Top 5

Has liked: 359 times
Been liked: 531 times
Grassroots Team: Peake

Postby cracka » Mon Dec 05, 2022 1:26 pm

Heard on the radio something about getting F1 back to the Adelaide streets. Apparently Chinese GP not going ahead so Adelaide could get one the week after Melbourne's. Might as well have permanent facilities in Victoria Park then.
cracka
Veteran

Has liked: 457 times
Been liked: 559 times
Grassroots Team: Onkaparinga Valley

Postby heater31 » Mon Dec 05, 2022 1:53 pm

cracka wrote:Heard on the radio something about getting F1 back to the Adelaide streets. Apparently Chinese GP not going ahead so Adelaide could get one the week after Melbourne's. Might as well have permanent facilities in Victoria Park then.
Won't happen!

Multiple issues, the circuit is FIA grade 3, it's much shorter than in 1995 and looking at it over the weekend further modifications are needed on East Terrace to restore the old section of the circuit. The Lord Mayor will need another ambulance when she faints that the parklands will need semi permanent structures to host motorsport events in March and December!
heater31

Has liked: 525 times
Been liked: 1259 times

PreviousNext

Board index   General Talk  Motoring/Motorsport