Port Adelaide 2022

Talk on the national game

Re: Port Adelaide 2022

Postby Dirty dog » Mon Mar 21, 2022 8:14 pm

amber_fluid wrote:
Wedgie wrote:
DOC wrote:
Dirty dog wrote:I’m getting good value for money for my memberships then. Can’t go to games and a sh!t membership pack, not even a pen that falls apart after 2 day use.

Why can't you go to the games? Distance?

DD mentioned earlier it was because he's not double vaxxed.

Unvaxxed and unwashed…………..

Just getting in before MW does

;)

That’s not very nice, I go down the dam once a week for wash
Dirty dog
Under 18s

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 187 times
Grassroots Team: Kadina

Postby Wedgie » Mon Mar 21, 2022 8:16 pm

Armchair expert wrote:Are they really going to check 50,000 green ticks?

I doubt it.

They did at the MCG and Marvel on the weekend. I got a bit pissed off at the G as they asked me twice!
Wedgie
Site Admin

Has liked: 2020 times
Been liked: 3862 times
Grassroots Team: Noarlunga

Postby mots02 » Mon Mar 21, 2022 8:20 pm

I doubt it.

If this is your prediction then its certain that they will
mots02
League - Top 5

Has liked: 134 times
Been liked: 852 times
Grassroots Team: Reynella

Postby amber_fluid » Mon Mar 21, 2022 8:21 pm

mots02 wrote:

I doubt it.

Leave the Port crowds to UKfan please
There are no stupid questions, just stupid people.
amber_fluid
Coach

Has liked: 2217 times
Been liked: 2508 times

Postby MW » Mon Mar 21, 2022 8:28 pm

amber_fluid wrote:
Wedgie wrote:
DOC wrote:
Dirty dog wrote:I’m getting good value for money for my memberships then. Can’t go to games and a sh!t membership pack, not even a pen that falls apart after 2 day use.

Why can't you go to the games? Distance?

DD mentioned earlier it was because he's not double vaxxed.

Unvaxxed and unwashed…………..

Just getting in before MW does

;)

To be fair, that does sound like something I would say :lol:
MW
Coach

Has liked: 2581 times
Been liked: 1822 times

Postby Vamos » Mon Mar 21, 2022 9:24 pm

I doubt it.

Could be quite a few A4 laminated printouts at Crows games if so.
Whoops, there goes another year. Whoops, there goes another pint of beer.
Vamos
League - Top 5

Has liked: 343 times
Been liked: 450 times
Grassroots Team: Port District

Postby Armchair expert » Mon Mar 21, 2022 9:34 pm

mots02 wrote:

I doubt it.

Reported for cyber bullying.
Dave Warner will be missed!
Armchair expert
Coach

Has liked: 379 times
Been liked: 1414 times
Grassroots Team: Ports

Postby Booney » Wed Mar 23, 2022 9:57 am

*Late review - Iso took over for 48 hours there*

If the first half on Saturday night wasn’t a sign of things to come then nothing was. Both sides struggled to show any system moving the ball forward as the pressure of round 1 and genuine opposition took its toll on the skills by both hand and foot with the contest at time descending to beyond scrappy and at times unwatchable. The second half is something I’d rather have not watched at all if I’m honest.

Brisbane led two goals to one at ¼ time with former Geelong forward Darcy Fort bagging two for the Lions and a late reply from Boak being the only majors it looked as though the Lions had more options when it came to hitting the scoreboard. Houston started well for Port, as did Burton, Butters and SPP who was showing the level of intent we expect. The Lions however had the better of the term with the last 4 F50 entries and certainly looked more dangerous going forward. At the stage we’d lost Duursma to what looked to be a broken collar bone and Motlop had been injected into the game.

Momentum swung quickly at the start of the second term, Port had the first 5 F50 entries as Butters and Wines cleared the ball from the middle and as Amon slotted one from long range Port got something going. Adams was holding firm in the key defensive post for Brisbane so the smalls had to get involved, Bonner’s little give, go and shepherd to allow Houston to goal was important, Marshall popped up with a mark and goal and Port were transitioning well from defence, 2 of those goals came from kick ins. Rozee added one to make it 5 goals to 4 at half time but as the players left the field Duursma was subbed out and Aliir hadn’t been seen for some time after rolling an ankle. Port looked to be 2 down. At half time Houston was leading the way with 16 touches at 76%. It was tight, but I felt we had the better of the play.

When Powell-Pepper, Georgiades ( who went of briefly with an injury concern ) and Motlop all goaled as a result of Brisbane turnovers to start the third term and we skipped out to a 25 point lead the night was looking to be a positive one. Both sides upped the anti, Daniher and Bailey goaled either side of a Willem Drew major and a 15 point ¾ time lead was ours, would it be enough?

In a word, no. Daniher soon had his third and fourth majors, McCarthy chipped in with two and Lycett, out on his feet, lost McInerney who went forward to help Brisbane to 5 goals to 1 for the term to over run Port by 11 points. The last term was a horror show. Aliir, on one leg, had a completely excusable howler back pedaling into defence and with McKenzie down with what looked to be a major knee injury the back half was left depleted and the midfield out on it’s feet. Daniher, McCarthy and McInerney took advantage of that undersized back half and kicked 4 of the Lions 5 final term goals.

No loss is fun. No loss is acceptable. There needs to be some diagnosis though and for the best part of ¾ Port either broke even or held sway. Late on the third we looked flat, particularly in the middle where Lycett was on his heels at every contest, Finalyson offers some support but it looks like Dixon will need to play more time as a 2nd ruck option as the year unfolds ( I don’t see Hayes and Lycett both playing ), defensively we were down to Jonas as the only fit big man in defence with McKenzie down and Aliir hobbled leaving us exposed. Some errors in the last were costly, Drew streaming forward to a 3 on 1 and picking out the 1 was telling, he’s growing and mistakes like that will become less prevalent as he develops his attacking game, defensively he is elite.

Boon’s best – Houston, Burton, Boak, Amon, Wines, Butters

Onto the Hawks on Saturday night, unfortunately I’m in isolation and will miss the tribute to the great Russell Ebert, it pains me to miss is but I’ll take a leaf out of Russell’s book and stay home, do the right thing by the community and remember there’s always someone worse off than me.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7467 times
Been liked: 10754 times

Postby whufc » Wed Mar 23, 2022 10:14 am

I know you cant make excuses but its real naïve in professional sport to think the injuries didn't hamper Port significantly.

I mean its the start of the year, in theory teams are at their freshest. To lose multiple players and have smaller rotations just has to hurt at the start of the year when the opposition is as fresh as their going to be.

Especially when we are talking about a top 4 clash where bounce of the balls separates teams.

The big problem is though why cant Port seem to avoid the injury crises. I reckon they had similar maybe against Richmond last year where they won but were destroyed with injuries. Is it bad luck...…., is it players whose bodies cant keep up with the demands of the AFL.

This might sound harsh but I reckon that's at least the second occasion in the last two seasons where Rozzee has 'rolled' his ankle and had to play a half on one leg. Is the speed, agility and fatigue required at AFL level too much for the kid at this stage, is it getting strapped correctly, are his boots right, is it the way he runs/turns.....is it just bad luck.

Second long term injury for Duursma as well, obviously both are different in nature
RIP PH408 63notoutforever
whufc
Coach

Has liked: 5564 times
Been liked: 2519 times
Grassroots Team: BSR

Postby Booney » Wed Mar 23, 2022 10:22 am

Imagine if I'd referenced injury as a contributor to the loss. ;)

Duursma no break, may play this week.

Most of our injuries last year were collision or impact injuries, not many were hamstring or soft tissue, nothing you can do about the collision injuries, comes down to a bit of luck.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby The Bedge » Wed Mar 23, 2022 1:56 pm

whufc wrote:The big problem is though why cant Port seem to avoid the injury crises. I reckon they had similar maybe against Richmond last year where they won but were destroyed with injuries. Is it bad luck...…., is it players whose bodies cant keep up with the demands of the AFL.

This might sound harsh but I reckon that's at least the second occasion in the last two seasons where Rozzee has 'rolled' his ankle and had to play a half on one leg. Is the speed, agility and fatigue required at AFL level too much for the kid at this stage, is it getting strapped correctly, are his boots right, is it the way he runs/turns.....is it just bad luck.

Second long term injury for Duursma as well, obviously both are different in nature

Genuinely cant agree with any of that. Port if nothing else have been the complete opposite in recent years - kissed on the pecker in regards to injuries.

You're drawing a long bow with Rozee as well - twice he rolls his ankle in 2yrs and you're asking questions? Heck i'd roll my ankle twice a week.
Dolphin Treasure wrote:Your an attention seeking embarsement..
The Bedge
Coach

Has liked: 3188 times
Been liked: 3989 times

Postby DOC » Wed Mar 23, 2022 2:10 pm

C'mon Bedge.

No one rolls an ankle anymore.

They have a Syndesmosis injury.
DOC
Coach

Has liked: 723 times
Been liked: 2076 times

Postby Booney » Wed Mar 23, 2022 2:13 pm

The Bedge wrote:
whufc wrote:The big problem is though why cant Port seem to avoid the injury crises. I reckon they had similar maybe against Richmond last year where they won but were destroyed with injuries. Is it bad luck...…., is it players whose bodies cant keep up with the demands of the AFL.

Genuinely cant agree with any of that. Port if nothing else have been the complete opposite in recent years - kissed on the pecker in regards to injuries.

You're drawing a long bow with Rozee as well - twice he rolls his ankle in 2yrs and you're asking questions? Heck i'd roll my ankle twice a week.

:shock:

2021 games played

Rockliff 2 - Knee and DVT
Jones 6 - Syndesmosis
Farrell 10 - ACL
Hartlett 10 - Knee clean up
Butters 11 - Syndesmosis
Clurey 11 - Broken Jaw
Duursma 11 - Knee
Fantasia 15 - Knee
Gray 18 - Knee

You could say the highlighted would have been in our best 22, if they all played all games ( 24 for the season ) they would be 168 games, we had them for 90 of a potential 168 games.

All 9 of them, along with Gerogiades who missed 3 with a hamstring late in the year probably means we didn't have the best run with injury.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby MW » Wed Mar 23, 2022 2:29 pm

how many of those highlighted played the prelim?
MW
Coach

Postby Booney » Wed Mar 23, 2022 2:30 pm

MW wrote:how many of those highlighted played the prelim?

Took you longer than I thought. 4, Duursma, Butters, Gray and Fantasia.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby MW » Wed Mar 23, 2022 2:34 pm

Booney wrote:

Surely you are not saying you lost the prelim last year because of injuries that happened throughout the year?
MW
Coach

Postby Booney » Wed Mar 23, 2022 2:37 pm

It's entertaining, this discussion.

Anti Port people think we're using it as an excuse for losing the prelim, on the contrary, I see it as quite remarkable we made it to that point in the year after finishing the minor round in second spot with the injuries we had. It's a credit to the players who came in and the coaching group that had us somehow only drop 5 games in the minor round.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby Booney » Wed Mar 23, 2022 2:38 pm

MW wrote:
Booney wrote:

Surely you are not saying you lost the prelim last year because of injuries that happened throughout the year?

Not at all, I think it's ideal to miss large parts of the year and come back under done just before the contest goes up a notch. Who wants to play all the games and be rock hard come September? Crazy thinking.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby MW » Wed Mar 23, 2022 2:39 pm

Booney wrote:It's entertaining, this discussion.

Anti Port people think we're using it as an excuse for losing the prelim, on the contrary, I see it as quite remarkable we made it to that point in the year after finishing the minor round in second spot with the injuries we had. It's a credit to the players who came in and the coaching group that had us somehow only drop 5 games in the minor round.

sounds like an excuse to me still ;)
MW
Coach

Postby Booney » Wed Mar 23, 2022 2:39 pm

MW wrote:
Booney wrote:It's entertaining, this discussion.

sounds like an excuse to me still ;)

Sure thing Dutchy.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  AFL