Port Adelaide 2022

Talk on the national game

Re: Port Adelaide 2022

Postby MW » Wed Mar 23, 2022 2:42 pm

At the end of the day, if your supporter base are happy to accept losing a prelim, and just be happy for just making it with your injuries throughout the year, all the best to you.
MW
Coach

Has liked: 2602 times
Been liked: 1844 times

Postby MW » Wed Mar 23, 2022 2:43 pm

Booney wrote:
MW wrote:
Booney wrote:It's entertaining, this discussion.

Anti Port people think we're using it as an excuse for losing the prelim, on the contrary, I see it as quite remarkable we made it to that point in the year after finishing the minor round in second spot with the injuries we had. It's a credit to the players who came in and the coaching group that had us somehow only drop 5 games in the minor round.

sounds like an excuse to me still ;)

Sure thing Dutchy.

Reported and blocked
MW
Coach

Postby Booney » Wed Mar 23, 2022 2:45 pm

MW wrote:At the end of the day, if your supporter base are happy to accept losing a prelim, and just be happy for just making it with your injuries throughout the year, all the best to you.

Sure beats being shit.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7491 times
Been liked: 10772 times

Postby MW » Wed Mar 23, 2022 2:47 pm

Booney wrote:
MW wrote:At the end of the day, if your supporter base are happy to accept losing a prelim, and just be happy for just making it with your injuries throughout the year, all the best to you.

Sure beats being shit.

Unless you have injuries, then it's ok to be shit :lol:
MW
Coach

Postby Booney » Wed Mar 23, 2022 2:56 pm

MW wrote:
Booney wrote:

Sure beats being shit.

Unless you have injuries, then it's ok to be shit :lol:

Even with injuries if you've got good depth you'll be fine.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby The Bedge » Wed Mar 23, 2022 3:04 pm

Booney wrote:2021 games played

Rockliff 2 - Knee and DVT
Jones 6 - Syndesmosis
Farrell 10 - ACL
Hartlett 10 - Knee clean up
Butters 11 - Syndesmosis
Clurey 11 - Broken Jaw
Duursma 11 - Knee
Fantasia 15 - Knee
Gray 18 - Knee

You could say the highlighted would have been in our best 22, if they all played all games ( 24 for the season ) they would be 168 games, we had them for 90 of a potential 168 games.

All 9 of them, along with Gerogiades who missed 3 with a hamstring late in the year probably means we didn't have the best run with injury.

Interesting spin on it.

Rockliff i'm not sure would have been in the best 22 last year, feel like he had dropped down the pecking order.

Fantasia 15/24 = 62%
Gray 18/24 = 75%

Duursma, Butters and Clurey big outs - forgot they missed that many weeks.

How many games though did all those "best 22" blokes miss at the same time?

Honestly compared to some sides, it's felt like Port have had a better run over recent years with having most their first choice on the park during the season.
Dolphin Treasure wrote:Your an attention seeking embarsement..
The Bedge
Coach

Has liked: 3192 times
Been liked: 3999 times

Postby whufc » Wed Mar 23, 2022 3:09 pm

The Bedge wrote:
whufc wrote:The big problem is though why cant Port seem to avoid the injury crises. I reckon they had similar maybe against Richmond last year where they won but were destroyed with injuries. Is it bad luck...…., is it players whose bodies cant keep up with the demands of the AFL.

This might sound harsh but I reckon that's at least the second occasion in the last two seasons where Rozzee has 'rolled' his ankle and had to play a half on one leg. Is the speed, agility and fatigue required at AFL level too much for the kid at this stage, is it getting strapped correctly, are his boots right, is it the way he runs/turns.....is it just bad luck.

Second long term injury for Duursma as well, obviously both are different in nature

Genuinely cant agree with any of that. Port if nothing else have been the complete opposite in recent years - kissed on the pecker in regards to injuries.

You're drawing a long bow with Rozee as well - twice he rolls his ankle in 2yrs and you're asking questions? Heck i'd roll my ankle twice a week.

A bit of difference between yourself and professional footballer.

The point I’m trying to make is for one reason or another some players are just injury prone and can’t seem to handle the intensity of professional sport, on the other hand blokes like Dustin Fletcher whose body had no right to play AFL can’t find a way to get injured.

It might not be the case for Rozee but it’s just a suggestion, this is Duursma second significant injury now and let’s be honest this bump from Robinson whilst deservedly reported wasn’t exactly the most aggressive or hardest bump we’ve ever seen. Obviously the more ‘mature’ strength of Robinson played a part.

The likes of Rozee, Duursma, Butters, Farrell, Fantasia are pretty light bodies by AFL standards.
RIP PH408 63notoutforever
whufc
Coach

Has liked: 5588 times
Been liked: 2529 times
Grassroots Team: BSR

Postby amber_fluid » Wed Mar 23, 2022 3:12 pm

Injuries nor winning in the home and away season is the issue here.
Winning prelims is.
And a coach not having a Plan B in finals.
There are no stupid questions, just stupid people.
amber_fluid
Coach

Has liked: 2224 times
Been liked: 2519 times

Postby whufc » Wed Mar 23, 2022 3:15 pm

The only reason I’m curious about this is I’m someone whose played sport 15kg overweight and I’ve played in absolute great shape but no matter by body condition I’ve always found ways to get injured, with everything for rolled ankles, broken ribs, concussions, and bulging discs, geez I dislocated my shoulder fielding in cricket lol.

Sometimes I wonder if blokes are just genetically not built to handle the contact their desired sport and level requires.
RIP PH408 63notoutforever
whufc
Coach

Has liked: 5588 times
Been liked: 2529 times
Grassroots Team: BSR

Postby Lightning McQueen » Wed Mar 23, 2022 3:19 pm

whufc wrote:
The Bedge wrote:
whufc wrote:The big problem is though why cant Port seem to avoid the injury crises. I reckon they had similar maybe against Richmond last year where they won but were destroyed with injuries. Is it bad luck...…., is it players whose bodies cant keep up with the demands of the AFL.

This might sound harsh but I reckon that's at least the second occasion in the last two seasons where Rozzee has 'rolled' his ankle and had to play a half on one leg. Is the speed, agility and fatigue required at AFL level too much for the kid at this stage, is it getting strapped correctly, are his boots right, is it the way he runs/turns.....is it just bad luck.

Second long term injury for Duursma as well, obviously both are different in nature

Genuinely cant agree with any of that. Port if nothing else have been the complete opposite in recent years - kissed on the pecker in regards to injuries.

You're drawing a long bow with Rozee as well - twice he rolls his ankle in 2yrs and you're asking questions? Heck i'd roll my ankle twice a week.

A bit of difference between yourself and professional footballer.

Yep, they wouldn't be able to kick 3 goals and get 4th best after downing 14 pints and two takeaways from the local on the Friday night.
HOGG SHIELD DIVISION V WINNER 2018.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Has liked: 4344 times
Been liked: 7921 times

Postby Brodlach » Wed Mar 23, 2022 3:22 pm

Don’t forget the durries at each break
July 11th 2012....
Brodlach wrote:Rory Laird might end up the best IMO, he is an absolute jet. He has been in great form at the Bloods
Brodlach
Coach

Has liked: 72 times
Been liked: 4216 times
Grassroots Team: Colonel Light Gardens

Postby locky801 » Wed Mar 23, 2022 3:26 pm

Brodlach wrote:Don’t forget the durries at each break

didnt seem to hinder Grenville in his prime ;)
You cant change your past but you can sure hell shape you future
locky801
Coach

Has liked: 3698 times
Been liked: 1165 times

Postby mots02 » Wed Mar 23, 2022 5:27 pm

I think the real and clear winner here is the review.

The discussion has been dead, in comes the review, bang its game on with Booney v the world!

Please don't make us wait so long for it next week.
mots02
League - Top 5

Has liked: 137 times
Been liked: 877 times
Grassroots Team: Reynella

Postby stan » Wed Mar 23, 2022 8:27 pm

MW wrote:
Booney wrote:

Sure beats being shit.

Unless you have injuries, then it's ok to be shit [emoji38]
What if you have injuries and you're shit?
Asking for a friend.
Read my reply. It is directed at you because you have double standards
stan
Coach

Has liked: 88 times
Been liked: 1253 times
Grassroots Team: Goodwood Saints

Postby Vamos » Wed Mar 23, 2022 10:01 pm

stan wrote:
MW wrote:
Booney wrote:

Sure beats being shit.

Unless you have injuries, then it's ok to be shit [emoji38]
What if you have injuries and you're shit?
Asking for a friend.

Tell your friend to cancel their internet and foxtel for a year.
Whoops, there goes another year. Whoops, there goes another pint of beer.
Vamos
League - Top 5

Has liked: 354 times
Been liked: 469 times
Grassroots Team: Port District

Postby Booney » Fri Mar 25, 2022 10:59 am

Ollie Wines from Fox Sports

March 25th, 2022 11:05 am

With the birth of a new season comes the long-awaited return of crowds, as the Covid pandemic starts to appear in the rear-view mirror.

This week my teammates and I return to a fully packed Adelaide Oval in a game to celebrate the contributions that football legend Russell Ebert made to both Port Adelaide and Australian rules football.

The pandemic has been a blessing in disguise for not just myself, but the AFL as well. Fans of the game are the most important stakeholder and without them our sport is like any other. This has become so evident playing in empty stadiums and with reduced crowds over the last two seasons.

Being back in front of a live crowd at The Gabba in Round 1 was surreal. The way the home crowd got around the Lions in the last quarter and willed their players across the line got me very excited about returning to Adelaide Oval.

The energy our crowd is able to create for us is priceless and can help build unbreakable momentum throughout games; I may be biased, but I believe Port Adelaide fans are the most passionate and fanatical in the world!

The evolution of our pregame experience is something that is admired by many other sporting clubs around the world. From entering the stadium to the sounds of Rudimental, to the singing of Never Tear Us Apart as the ball is bounced, everything is unique to our club.

You know you’re onto something when other clubs supporters are mocking us, covertly jealous of what’s happening at Adelaide Oval for Port games! Other teams have tried to do it like us but failed.

I can relate to footy fans as I am one and have always been. Being from country Victoria and a 3-hour drive from Melbourne it was rare for me to attend many live matches.

Once a year our family would go down to Melbourne for the weekend where dad, my younger brother Harry and I would go on a footy bonanza! We’d see three or four matches over the weekend all regardless of who was playing, ultimately soaking up the atmosphere of live footy.

I often look into the crowd after a game and try to pinpoint some kids that may be doing the same thing as I did when I was a kid. Maybe over from Port Lincoln or Robe watching their favourite players run around, eating a meat pie and cheering as loud as they can!

I hope the biggest lesson learnt out of the pandemic for the football industry is how important fans are to our game. They truly are what makes our game so unique.

Ollie Wines is the reigning Brownlow medallist. He has played 183 AFL games for Port Adelaide.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby Booney » Mon Mar 28, 2022 10:05 am

On what should have been a night to walk out of Adelaide Oval beaming with pride and our heads held high we left with our heads hanging in shame with more questions than answers for the season ahead. Credit to Hawthorn, the plan they arrived with was well constructed and executed even better, it’s not often our back half gets opened right up and we get scored against in transition, but more on that later.

I’m not big on being emotionally aroused for milestone games or special occasions, if at AFL level you need extra motivation to win other than that internal drive to win every game you’re in the wrong job for mine. Then again occasions do come along every so often that are bigger than a 200th game or retirement match and Saturday night for the Port Adelaide Football Club was just that. Through the back half of 2021 it was apparent the greatest player the club has produced was in a fight he wasn’t going to win, we looked on as Russell Ebert’s illness took control and eventually took his life. It was a day all Port Adelaide fans, indeed all South Australian’s, mourned. With the extra motivation of honouring Ebert’s legacy on Saturday night our playing group should have delivered a performance he would have been proud of, instead they dished up one to forget.

From the opening 5 minutes it was clear we weren’t switched on, Hawthorn had the first 3 goals of the night on the back of some deplorable ball use inside our forward 50. Going at 25% efficiency inside 50 it left our back half exposed to the turn over and Hawthorn made us pay, 12 times they took the ball out of our F50, 5 times straight to the other end and twice this resulted in goals. We offered little resistance through the middle of the ground by way of defensive pressure and the back half was giving the Hawks more space to move than the cattle on Anna Station have.

Gunston got the Hawks their 4th before Lycett slid in to register Port’s first major, if that’s what we’re resorting to for kicking goals we are in some real strife. At this point things changed, we started to get our hands on the ball, Houston goaled from long range, Rozee slotted one and the margin is back to 10 points. Given we’d barely got hands on it for the best part of 45 minutes it seemed as though we were back in the contest. Yeah. Nah. Wingard has his second, Nash and Gunston add to the pain and at half time the Hawks have rightly earned a 28 point lead.

It was effectively game over 1 minute into the third when Lewis marked and goaled to put the margin out beyond 5 goals. Sam Powell-Pepper showed some grit in the third with 3 goals but that counted for little as the Hawks responded with 6 goals to 4 for the term.

Very few Port players entered the last term with any form, ever green Travis Boak was leading the way with two way running, Powell-Pepper with his 3 goals, Amon, Wines and Butters were all getting hands on the ball but creating no harm with it. Defensively we were rattled, offensively we were inept and the 64 point margin was reflective of how dominant Hawthorn were on the night.

The fall out has been significant at Alberton, those who have been calling for Hinkley to be moved on have had those who weren’t sure join them and the faithful have been pushed to breaking point. The pressure on the senior coach is immense, this punter simply cannot see a mid season sacking on the cards, it won’t be until seasons end, whenever that is, will be see change. Is it too late? For this playing group including club champions Boak and Gray? Perhaps. I hope not.

Boon’s best – Boak, Powell-Pepper, Butters, Amon

Changes for the Showdown :

McKenzie has to succumb to injury, how he fronted up after the Brisbane game has me beat, with a twisted ankle on top of that I’ll be amazed if he’s selected on Friday night. Jake Pasini would be the only option as a tall defender to come in with Aliir and Clurey sidelined by injury. I’d be replacing Motlop with Bergman (if fit, he’s no longer on the injury list ) to offer some more outside mid run and I’d keep Mead in the starting line up with Sinn going back to SANFL level for a run. It’s unlikely Dixon will be brought straight in, but if he is Finalyson goes out. The biggest change I’d make is Lycett for Hayes, Lycett has been soundly beaten in the second half of matches against Adelaide in the preseason, Brisbane and now Hawthorn, he either needs more chop out or he’s not fit. He’s flat footed after half time and offers little contest around the ground with limited mobility. He’s serviceable early but my word he looks cooked in the second half.

Out – Motlop, Lycett, Sinn ( perhaps McKenzie )
In – Bergman, Hayes, Mead ( perhaps Pasini )
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby Dutchy » Mon Mar 28, 2022 10:14 am

At least it looks like SPP is now up and running again after a poor 12-18 months, he looked highly motivated.
Dutchy
Site Admin

Has liked: 2322 times
Been liked: 3496 times

Postby Booney » Mon Mar 28, 2022 10:26 am

Dutchy wrote:At least it looks like SPP is now up and running again after a poor 12-18 months, he looked highly motivated.

About to become a father, looks like he's in a good place on and off field.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby Rik E Boy » Mon Mar 28, 2022 10:54 am

Good write up Boon. Very honest and on point. Lycett is certainly not right for mine and Hayes must play.

regards,

REB
Rik E Boy
Coach

Has liked: 1698 times
Been liked: 1818 times

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  AFL