PDCA

Local cricket is the go here. Any talk about local comps, grade cricket, etc.

Re: PDCA

Postby whufc » Mon Mar 28, 2022 10:14 am

GarrytheGOAT wrote:Grade 1 Premiers - Last 10 Seasons

Westies by far the most dominant

2021/2022 - S/West
2020/2021 - S/West
2019/2020 - Virginia
2018/2019 - S/West
2017/2018 - Virginia
2016/2017 - Virginia
2015/2016 - S/West
2014/2015 - Angle Vale
2013/2014 - Virginia
2012/2013 - Rosies

Westies were nearly in all of them GF's as well.
RIP PH408 63notoutforever
whufc
Coach

Has liked: 5586 times
Been liked: 2527 times
Grassroots Team: BSR

Postby whufc » Mon Mar 28, 2022 10:15 am

Lightning McQueen wrote:
Eggy wrote:
I respectfully disagree. The SW teams will be closer to their rightful divs next year in 1,3 and 4.

I'm hearing 8 team divisions again next season?

Units going to LO's only aswell.

Westies were where they should've been, their C's done pretty well without a bowling attack for the season.

Salisbury West just keep doing Salisbury West things, they win games of cricket, they have players rise when they're needed, if they aren't sandbagging then it's fair game.

Listening to the player presentations back at SW live on facebook they seem massive advocates for the 8 team divisions. A few of their people spoke about hoping it returns next year.

I like the 6 team comps but can side with the fact it can get a bit stale only having 5 opposition sides for the season.
whufc
Coach

Postby The Bedge » Mon Mar 28, 2022 10:41 am

whufc wrote:I like the 6 team comps but can side with the fact it can get a bit stale only having 5 opposition sides for the season.

Bit stale? Grade 1 and 2 only played each other twice - same as every other year.

Every other grade played each other 3 times.. a whopping one game extra.
Dolphin Treasure wrote:Your an attention seeking embarsement..
The Bedge
Coach

Has liked: 3192 times
Been liked: 3996 times

Postby The Bedge » Mon Mar 28, 2022 10:47 am

8 team grades would see Eyre B grade the beneficiaries again, consecutive GF's remain in the same grade.

Wonder if Craigmore will step up next year?

Grade 1
1. Westies
2. Eastern Park
3. Angle Vale
4. Dublin
5. Virginia
6. Craigmore
7. North Eastern Knights
8. Smithfield

Grade 2
1. Eyre Royals
2. Parafield Gardens
3. North Pines
4. ATCO
5. Enfield
6. Two Wells
7. One Tree Hill
8. Westies B

Grade 3
1. Eyre B
2. Dublin
3. Eastern Park
4. Angle Vale
5. North Eastern Knights
6. Enfield B
7. Craigmore B
8. Westies C

Grade 4
1. North Pines
2. Viriginia
3. Two Wells
4. Eyre C
5. Craigmore C
The Bedge
Coach

Postby whufc » Mon Mar 28, 2022 10:51 am

The Bedge wrote:
whufc wrote:I like the 6 team comps but can side with the fact it can get a bit stale only having 5 opposition sides for the season.

Bit stale? Grade 1 and 2 only played each other twice - same as every other year.

Every other grade played each other 3 times.. a whopping one game extra.

Not about the how many games about the amount of opposition you play. With an 8 team comp you play 7 different sides. With a 6 team comp your only playing 5 different sides.

Its only two extra but my 3 years of playing in a 6 team comp I found that only having five opposition sides did get a bit stale. Especially in the comp we played in there was one standout side by a mile and one real bang average side so you were only playing 3 opposition teams where games felt 'meaningful'

This year in div1 there was really only 4 opposition teams to play meaningful games against with CU being extremely average.

There is no right or wrong I just can see why some clubs preferred the 8 team system. I've much preferred it since moving to Northern Areas where we have 8 teams. Its nice to have lots of different opposition and go to different grounds etc.
whufc
Coach

Postby whufc » Mon Mar 28, 2022 10:57 am

One question thought is does any club like going up a division when they haven't won a premiership...…its kind of bitter sweet and just damages your chances of winning a flag for the next year or two.

Should it just be one up / one down.
whufc
Coach

Postby Lightning McQueen » Mon Mar 28, 2022 11:22 am

whufc wrote:
Listening to the player presentations back at SW live on facebook they seem massive advocates for the 8 team divisions. A few of their people spoke about hoping it returns next year.

I like the 6 team comps but can side with the fact it can get a bit stale only having 5 opposition sides for the season.

They prosper out of it being 8 team comps,

However many teams go up to Grade 1 next season will only be making up the numbers unless there is some decent recruiting going on.

I did hear a couple of rumours yesterday of player movements.
HOGG SHIELD DIVISION V WINNER 2018.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Has liked: 4344 times
Been liked: 7921 times

Postby Lightning McQueen » Mon Mar 28, 2022 11:25 am

The Bedge wrote:8 team grades would see Eyre B grade the beneficiaries again, consecutive GF's remain in the same grade.

Wonder if Craigmore will step up next year?

Grade 1
1. Westies
2. Eastern Park
3. Angle Vale
4. Dublin
5. Virginia
6. Craigmore
7. North Eastern Knights
8. Smithfield

Grade 2
1. Eyre Royals
2. Parafield Gardens
3. North Pines
4. ATCO
5. Enfield
6. Two Wells
7. One Tree Hill
8. Westies B

Grade 3
1. Eyre B
2. Dublin
3. Eastern Park
4. Angle Vale
5. North Eastern Knights
6. Enfield B
7. Craigmore B
8. Westies C

Grade 4
1. North Pines
2. Viriginia
3. Two Wells
4. Eyre C
5. Craigmore C

Grade 2 looks pretty ordinary apart from 3 teams.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Postby whufc » Mon Mar 28, 2022 11:28 am

Lightning McQueen wrote:
whufc wrote:

They prosper out of it being 8 team comps,

However many teams go up to Grade 1 next season will only be making up the numbers unless there is some decent recruiting going on.

I did hear a couple of rumours yesterday of player movements.

Yeah teams will vote on whats in their best interest. Automatic losers that I can see would be.....

Enfield...would probably go up to div2 where they will be a top/middle side rather than be the pre season favs for div3.
Smithfield.....go up to div1 where i wouldn't think they would play finals without capturing the div2 flag will be disappointing for them.
NEK.....after some tough years in div1 would be back there without having any real success in div2.
One Tree Hill...……..finished 2nd bottom in div3 could be playing in div2. Would need recruits.
whufc
Coach

Postby The Bedge » Mon Mar 28, 2022 11:39 am

whufc wrote:Its only two extra but my 3 years of playing in a 6 team comp I found that only having five opposition sides did get a bit stale. Especially in the comp we played in there was one standout side by a mile and one real bang average side so you were only playing 3 opposition teams where games felt 'meaningful'.

Gets stale when you play in a one team division where each year you play the side clubs.
The Bedge
Coach

Postby The Bedge » Mon Mar 28, 2022 11:59 am

whufc wrote:Yeah teams will vote on whats in their best interest. Automatic losers that I can see would be.....

Enfield...would probably go up to div2 where they will be a top/middle side rather than be the pre season favs for div3.

Agree with that, we would definitely come out a loser - we finished 2nd after a good finish, but were sitting 4th most the season behind OTH and TW.

Going up a division without reaching the GF would be a bummer.. you can almost feel any window for success immediately closing.

Is what it is though, every year something comes up - someone loses players, someone doesn't want to play two day cricket.. someone wants to drop a grade, someone doesn't want to go up.
The Bedge
Coach

Postby Lightning McQueen » Mon Mar 28, 2022 12:03 pm

whufc wrote:One question thought is does any club like going up a division when they haven't won a premiership...…its kind of bitter sweet and just damages your chances of winning a flag for the next year or two.

Should it just be one up / one down.

I've never minded going up, we had years where our A's and B's were like 5 grades apart so I had to stop playing A's to try and develop some kids in the B's to lessen the gap for when they did get promoted to the 1's.

We seemed to always have a decent B Grade but they just couldn't make the big dance, we ended up making a few in a row and our A Grade prospered out of it as the kids were better prepared for the jump and could fulfill a role instead of making up numbers.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Postby Eggy » Mon Mar 28, 2022 10:00 pm

Lightning McQueen wrote:
Eggy wrote:
I respectfully disagree. The SW teams will be closer to their rightful divs next year in 1,3 and 4.

Westies were where they should've been, their C's done pretty well without a bowling attack for the season.

Salisbury West just keep doing Salisbury West things, they win games of cricket, they have players rise when they're needed, if they aren't sandbagging then it's fair game.

Winning a GF by 300 runs says different...!

Also there won’t be 8 team comps next year as it will make too many teams go hide in the 1 day comps!!!
Eggy
Rookie

Has liked: 9 times
Been liked: 8 times

Postby whufc » Tue Mar 29, 2022 7:22 am

Eggy wrote:
Lightning McQueen wrote:
Eggy wrote:

Winning a GF by 300 runs says different...!

Also there won’t be 8 team comps next year as it will make too many teams go hide in the 1 day comps!!!

That was more reflective of the quality they have through their grades. I would get your point of view if the A Grade didn't go on win another div1 flag but you cant argue with their selection.

Their very fortunate that there old guard stay on for as long as they can and assist in their lower grades until they physically cant play anymore. Looking at guys like Sewelley in the B's, Bond in the C Grade etc.

At many clubs you see the old guard drift of into the sunset once their A Grade careers are over. For one reason or another that doesn't seem to happen at Westies. It enables them to bring youth into senior cricket with solid experience around them.

As much as I hate the bastards they do a great job of running a cricket program.
whufc
Coach

Postby The Bedge » Tue Mar 29, 2022 9:10 am

Also remember their B grade played on #2 oval - usually they'd play on the main oval. Guys like Parkhouse and Sewell would've loved playing on the shoebox.

Their side was graded appropriately after finishing last the previous season. Parkhouse returned to playing more regularly, Sewell came down from the 1's, Hallett & Costanzo came up from their LO grades and the rest were pretty much the guys that played last season.

As whuffer pointed out, Westies are more fortunate that their players stick around and keep playing as long as they can, and they don't rely on individuals to hold the club up they can sprinkle the experience around the grades.
The Bedge
Coach

Postby The Bedge » Tue Mar 29, 2022 9:11 am

whufc wrote:At many clubs you see the old guard drift of into the sunset once their A Grade careers are over.

Yup, couldn't agree more - certainly one of the most disappointing things about our club.
The Bedge
Coach

Postby whufc » Tue Mar 29, 2022 9:21 am

The Bedge wrote:
whufc wrote:At many clubs you see the old guard drift of into the sunset once their A Grade careers are over.

Yup, couldn't agree more - certainly one of the most disappointing things about our club.

Yeah when I began senior cricket at EP in around 98/99 I started in our B Grade. Can't say I ever had the oppurtunity play with the guys I considered to be 'club stars' as they all retired once they couldn't play A Grade.

All good blokes and all did heaps for the club, However I would have loved the oppurtunity to play with them as a 15-17 year old however. Instead our B Grade in those days was pretty much all of our junior side plus a few fringe types. We performed very well making two GF's in a row but never got the benefit and wealth of knowledge from those older blokes.
whufc
Coach

Postby The Bedge » Tue Mar 29, 2022 9:44 am

Worst thing about our club, is that when people decide they've had enough of playing, that's it - they're gone. Drift off into the sunset, rarely seen again.

Would love to know how to keep them involved and around the club, take up volunteer roles or committee roles etc.

Looking over the 11 people awarded life membership in the past 30yrs, 3 are still playing, 1 shows his face a few times a year but wont get involved, another we see at least once a year, 1 passed away - the rest I'd be lucky if i've seen them more than twice in the last 10yrs. :(

In fact of the last 4 life members - 3 haven't been seen since receiving the accolade (the other is Adam Gully).
The Bedge
Coach

Postby whufc » Tue Mar 29, 2022 10:04 am

The Bedge wrote:Worst thing about our club, is that when people decide they've had enough of playing, that's it - they're gone. Drift off into the sunset, rarely seen again.

Would love to know how to keep them involved and around the club, take up volunteer roles or committee roles etc.

Looking over the 11 people awarded life membership in the past 30yrs, 3 are still playing, 1 shows his face a few times a year but wont get involved, another we see at least once a year, 1 passed away - the rest I'd be lucky if i've seen them more than twice in the last 10yrs. :(

In fact of the last 4 life members - 3 haven't been seen since receiving the accolade (the other is Adam Gully).

Yeah Eastern Park would be the same. The only old boy that is still around the place I immediately think of is Banksy. Cant say any on that 1995-2005 crew are still involved in any capacity other than popping in occasion. Obviously at one point Ritchie Smith was coaching is one exception that comes to mind. Apologies if I have missed anyone.

Atco was a bit luckier and still has the likes of the Dantonios, Ralphs, Osbornes, Ormsby's heavily involved both at a playing and administrational level. The likes of the Hayes are still there on a semi regular basis albeit not in an official capacity. Atco's main issue has been trying to attract juniors especially in Elizabeth North which isn't exactly a booming area, if anything everyone is moving North from there to Munno Para West, Angle Vale, Blakes Crossing etc.
whufc
Coach

Postby Lightning McQueen » Tue Mar 29, 2022 3:25 pm

whufc wrote:
The Bedge wrote:Worst thing about our club, is that when people decide they've had enough of playing, that's it - they're gone. Drift off into the sunset, rarely seen again.

Atco was a bit luckier and still has the likes of the Dantonios, Ralphs, Osbornes, Ormsby's heavily involved both at a playing and administrational level. The likes of the Hayes are still there on a semi regular basis albeit not in an official capacity. Atco's main issue has been trying to attract juniors especially in Elizabeth North which isn't exactly a booming area, if anything everyone is moving North from there to Munno Para West, Angle Vale, Blakes Crossing etc.

To their credit they've got juniors happening again, they even had a merged 14's team with Eyre, at least they have a good mixture of ages throughout their grades for when the juniors start making their way to the upper grades.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

PreviousNext

Board index   Other Sports  Regional Cricket Comps