Port Adelaide 2022

Talk on the national game

Re: Port Adelaide 2022

Postby Jim05 » Tue Mar 29, 2022 4:19 pm

Booney wrote:
amber_fluid wrote:Isn’t he contracted to the end of 2023?
Unless you have a white knight who is paying that out?
The AFL won’t support it.

He's contracted for next year, yes, but any AFL club in debt, as Port are, have a maximum 6 month pay out clause on senior coach contracts. It'd be $300-400k to pay him out. Not onerous at all.
But then you have to find a stack to attract someone like Clarko.
His fee won’t be cheap and would put him out of reach of some clubs although the AFL will fund it for one of their golden childs
Jim05
Coach

Has liked: 1126 times
Been liked: 3552 times
Grassroots Team: South Gawler

Postby am Bays » Tue Mar 29, 2022 4:34 pm

Jim05 wrote:
Booney wrote:
amber_fluid wrote:Isn’t he contracted to the end of 2023?
Unless you have a white knight who is paying that out?
The AFL won’t support it.

He's contracted for next year, yes, but any AFL club in debt, as Port are, have a maximum 6 month pay out clause on senior coach contracts. It'd be $300-400k to pay him out. Not onerous at all.
But then you have to find a stack to attract someone like Clarko.
His fee won’t be cheap and would put him out of reach of some clubs although the AFL will fund it for one of their golden childs

Yup, any club that tries to take Clarko before the Gold Coast get their chance will be black listed by Gil et al....
Let that be a lesson to you Port, no one beats the Bays five times in a row in a GF and gets away with it!!!
am Bays
Coach

Has liked: 162 times
Been liked: 1809 times

Postby Armchair expert » Tue Mar 29, 2022 4:36 pm

Port need to get Buckley not Clarkson who has nothing to prove
Dave Warner will be missed!
Armchair expert
Coach

Has liked: 382 times
Been liked: 1433 times
Grassroots Team: Ports

Postby Booney » Wed Mar 30, 2022 8:34 am

Firstly, I'd be happy if we could lure Clarkson, I think it's highly unlikely though. Buckley would be high on the list too. However, why is it just assumed that coaches who have been successful at one club will be so at the next?

Malthouse at Carlton, Blight at St Kilda, Lyon* at Fremantle, it's not exactly a recipe for success. So much needs to go right at any given club to win a premiership, the coach is just one link in the chain. From the CEO to the Football Manager to the Coach to the Assistants to the captain and the leaders who create the culture, the connection between the playing group and then the groups within that group. Just going "chips in on Clarkson" assures nothing.

*Lyon got two clubs to GF's but didn't get a premiership
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7488 times
Been liked: 10772 times

Postby amber_fluid » Wed Mar 30, 2022 9:11 am

Booney wrote:Firstly, I'd be happy if we could lure Clarkson, I think it's highly unlikely though. Buckley would be high on the list too. However, why is it just assumed that coaches who have been successful at one club will be so at the next?

Malthouse at Carlton, Blight at St Kilda, Lyon* at Fremantle, it's not exactly a recipe for success. So much needs to go right at any given club to win a premiership, the coach is just one link in the chain. From the CEO to the Football Manager to the Coach to the Assistants to the captain and the leaders who create the culture, the connection between the playing group and then the groups within that group. Just going "chips in on Clarkson" assures nothing.

Would you be happy with Lyon as coach?
There are no stupid questions, just stupid people.
amber_fluid
Coach

Has liked: 2224 times
Been liked: 2516 times

Postby Booney » Wed Mar 30, 2022 9:22 am

amber_fluid wrote:
Booney wrote:Firstly, I'd be happy if we could lure Clarkson, I think it's highly unlikely though. Buckley would be high on the list too. However, why is it just assumed that coaches who have been successful at one club will be so at the next?

I really don't know.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby woodublieve12 » Wed Mar 30, 2022 9:28 am

Booney wrote:
amber_fluid wrote:

I really don't know.

I would be. If I was a port supporter is what I mean. I rate him
"Fellas, it’s OK to be in pain. It’s OK to hurt. It’s OK to be sad. It’s no longer OK to suffer in silence."
woodublieve12
Coach

Has liked: 3025 times
Been liked: 2398 times

Postby MW » Wed Mar 30, 2022 9:29 am

I'd be chasing someone like Luke Hodge and giving him a senior assistant with head coaching experience to help him initially
MW
Coach

Has liked: 2600 times
Been liked: 1844 times

Postby Lightning McQueen » Wed Mar 30, 2022 10:00 am

amber_fluid wrote:

I'd draw preference for him over Buckley. I like the older school line in the sand approach, it was what Kenny installed when he got here and why he earnt the respect in his first few years, he's probably gone a little softer on some with years under the belt. Lyon would be a no nonsense, this is how you're going to do it type operator, that what we need atm.
HOGG SHIELD DIVISION V WINNER 2018.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Has liked: 4344 times
Been liked: 7921 times

Postby LaughingKookaburra » Wed Mar 30, 2022 10:03 am

It’s amazing how things change so quickly in footy. Literally 3 games ago we were talking about Port Adelaide heading in to a Grand Final and now all of a sudden the coach is under pressure to keep his job. Admittedly 2 of those losses were daggers to the heart but if you want to be ultra critical I still ultimately think 2020 when they were top for the whole minor round and missed a GF with a home prelim was the biggest missed opportunity. They’ll belt Adelaide this week and it’ll keep at least some of the wolves at bay for now.
Can you bring a man to his feet when defeat is on repeat?
LaughingKookaburra
Coach

Has liked: 72 times
Been liked: 740 times
Grassroots Team: Kenilworth

Postby Spargo » Wed Mar 30, 2022 10:12 am

LaughingKookaburra wrote:It’s amazing how things change so quickly in footy. Literally 3 games ago we were talking about Port Adelaide heading in to a Grand Final and now all of a sudden the coach is under pressure to keep his job. Admittedly 2 of those losses were daggers to the heart but if you want to be ultra critical I still ultimately think 2020 when they were top for the whole minor round and missed a GF with a home prelim was the biggest missed opportunity. They’ll belt Adelaide this week and it’ll keep at least some of the wolves at bay for now.

If they belt Adelaide this week, but if the Crows somehow get up, strap yourselves in next week…
2017 safooty NFL tipping champ
2024 champ, Spargo’s Good Friday Cup @ Ascot

I’ll wait for an angel, but I won’t hold my breath
‘Magine they’re busy, think I’m doin’ ok…
Spargo
Coach

Has liked: 5476 times
Been liked: 5117 times
Grassroots Team: Sacred Heart OC

Postby Lightning McQueen » Wed Mar 30, 2022 11:58 am

LaughingKookaburra wrote:It’s amazing how things change so quickly in footy. Literally 3 games ago we were talking about Port Adelaide heading in to a Grand Final and now all of a sudden the coach is under pressure to keep his job. Admittedly 2 of those losses were daggers to the heart but if you want to be ultra critical I still ultimately think 2020 when they were top for the whole minor round and missed a GF with a home prelim was the biggest missed opportunity. They’ll belt Adelaide this week and it’ll keep at least some of the wolves at bay for now.

There's two types of people in this world, realists and ones that aren't realists.

Are they capable of winning a flag? Yes.
Is it likely that they'll win a flag? No.

Something is missing and lost in translation, I won't be surprised if the Crows win, if they watch the replay enough times they will pick up on how the Hawks used the young fitter lads to rebound and expose our slower midfield.

Every time we took the ball outside of the defensive 50 we were met with two walls of yellow and brown, they made it appear as though they had 5 extra players on the field from where I was, Sam Mitchell is going to be a very good coach.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Postby Booney » Wed Mar 30, 2022 12:00 pm

Our structure fell to pieces because our attitude was shit.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby MW » Wed Mar 30, 2022 12:07 pm

Lightning McQueen wrote:

There's two types of people in this world, realists and ones that aren't realists.

Something is missing and lost in translation, I won't be surprised if the Crows win, if they watch the replay enough times they will pick up on how the Hawks used the young fitter lads to rebound and expose our slower midfield.

Every time we took the ball outside of the defensive 50 we were met with two walls of yellow and brown, they made it appear as though they had 5 extra players on the field from where I was, Sam Mitchell is going to be a very good coach.

Have you seen our midfield?
MW
Coach

Postby Booney » Wed Mar 30, 2022 12:15 pm

MW wrote:
Lightning McQueen wrote:

:lol:
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby Lightning McQueen » Wed Mar 30, 2022 12:32 pm

MW wrote:
Lightning McQueen wrote:There's two types of people in this world, realists and ones that aren't realists.

I can't say that I have, I'm usually too engrossed in watching the test pattern channel.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Postby MW » Wed Mar 30, 2022 12:34 pm

Not your best work LM :lol:
MW
Coach

Postby valleys07 » Wed Mar 30, 2022 1:11 pm

I think Adem Yze has the makings of a very good senior coach.
“Think of me like Yoda, but instead of being little and green I wear suits and I'm awesome. I'm your bro—I'm Broda!”

HOGG Shield 2015 Division I Premiers.
HOGG Shield 2017 Premier League Premiers.
valleys07
Coach

Has liked: 767 times
Been liked: 1169 times
Grassroots Team: Hope Valley

Postby Lightning McQueen » Wed Mar 30, 2022 1:20 pm

MW wrote:Not your best work LM :lol:

Sorry mate, I'm just very time poor and thinking about freeing my weekends up, now I have Kayo I can see myself spending more time at home doing FA.

I've lost all my staff to COVID atm and been working til as late as 11:30pm and then coming in at 5ish, I'm a little spent.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Postby Booney » Wed Mar 30, 2022 1:24 pm

Lightning McQueen wrote:
MW wrote:Not your best work LM :lol:

Sorry mate, I'm just very time poor and thinking about freeing my weekends up, now I have Kayo I can see myself spending more time at home doing FA.

I've lost all my staff to COVID atm and been working til as late as 11:30pm and then coming in at 5ish, I'm a little spent.

Sounds like excuses to me.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  AFL