Port Adelaide 2022

Talk on the national game

Re: Port Adelaide 2022

Postby whufc » Mon Apr 04, 2022 12:05 pm

I think the whole 'mid season sacking' debate comes down to the integrity of the coach at the helm.

'IF' the time comes and Port are 0-5 is Hinkley going to be willing to put a line through this season and coach with an eye to whats best for next year. Would be tough to do given the only way he would keep his job is if Port rocketed home with momentum and wins.

On the other hand you can bring in an interim coach whose best chance of getting the gig is to do what's in the best interests for the future and following the command of the football department, hopefully picking up some wins along the journey with the 'fresh' approach.

If Port feel Hinkley isn't going to coach for the club and rather himself in the second half of the season then they have to consider if he is the right man to see the year out.
RIP PH408 63notoutforever
whufc
Coach

Has liked: 5565 times
Been liked: 2519 times
Grassroots Team: BSR

Postby Jim05 » Mon Apr 04, 2022 12:24 pm

Booney wrote:
Corona Man wrote:Tough to read, guess it’s hard to write too?

Can be cathartic. Or shit.
Did I hear correctly that Duursma stuffed his shoulder in the twos or was it just a stinger?
Jim05
Coach

Has liked: 1125 times
Been liked: 3534 times
Grassroots Team: South Gawler

Postby Booney » Mon Apr 04, 2022 12:27 pm

Jim05 wrote:
Booney wrote:
Corona Man wrote:Tough to read, guess it’s hard to write too?

Can be cathartic. Or shit.
Did I hear correctly that Duursma stuffed his shoulder in the twos or was it just a stinger?

Yeah, obviously hurt it against Brisbane, looked uncomfortable against the Hawks in a tackle and left the ground in the 3rd term Friday afternoon.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7467 times
Been liked: 10755 times

Postby Lightning McQueen » Mon Apr 04, 2022 12:53 pm

whufc wrote:I think the whole 'mid season sacking' debate comes down to the integrity of the coach at the helm.

'IF' the time comes and Port are 0-5 is Hinkley going to be willing to put a line through this season and coach with an eye to whats best for next year. Would be tough to do given the only way he would keep his job is if Port rocketed home with momentum and wins.

On the other hand you can bring in an interim coach whose best chance of getting the gig is to do what's in the best interests for the future and following the command of the football department, hopefully picking up some wins along the journey with the 'fresh' approach.

If Port feel Hinkley isn't going to coach for the club and rather himself in the second half of the season then they have to consider if he is the right man to see the year out.

We'll leave that for the administration to work out, we as spectators can voice our opinions but none of us know what goes on behind closed doors and that's what they're paid to do.

Football is a ruthless industry, ultimately 17 clubs miss out every year so where do you set your KPI's?

Ken has been a great coach at times and has obviously delivered more than moderate success, we've had the opportunity to be the best and we've blown it, sitting 0-3 after losing to the Crows in the fashion that we did doesn't give the faithful much hope.

I'll keep on believing and supporting, it's just a bit disappointing watching the window slide down.
HOGG SHIELD DIVISION V WINNER 2018.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Has liked: 4339 times
Been liked: 7902 times

Postby Rik E Boy » Mon Apr 04, 2022 1:02 pm

Booney wrote:There’s no doubt Friday night hurts, losing after the final siren to your arch enemy will always hurt but the hurt in seeing the season slip away by round 3 hurts even more.

If you’d given me 13 goals with Marshall kicking 5 on Friday I’d have said we lock in the 4 points and move onto Melbourne but once again our team defence let us down. This comes down to applying ourselves to the task and being willing to commit to the plan, we aren’t and we are being left wanting. For the second straight week we give the opposition good looks at goal and they make us pay. Hawthorn with 15.6 and Adelaide with 14.6 tells a worrying tale. Sides we would expect to beat have opened up our zone and we haven’t been able to push them wide entering their forward 50 resulting in easy shots on goal. At the other end we’ve pilfered one shot after another ( 7.14 and 13.14 ) leaving the hard work unrewarded when we’ve been willing to do that hard work.

The first quarter was all Port, 5 goals to 2 and all across the ground Port had the better of the going, where we’d been lacking, in forward 50 efficiency, we started well, Motlop, make shift forward Mayes, young keys Georgiades and Marshall are on the board and the midfield is pushing up with Drew making it 5 for the term. Defensively the midfield is keeping Adelaide to their stop / start attacking style and we’ve got time to set up behind the ball.

3 goals up at ¼ time and that soon stretched out to 4 as Marshall, Georgiades and Lycett added majors but it’s here the first signs of the back half being vulnerable come into play. Himmelberg has 2 in quick time and when Gollant makes it 2 for the term all from set shots right in front it’s clear we’ve got some issues, again. Adelaide are moving the ball with more intent and they’re getting good looks because of it. Dawson and Laird in particular are getting their skates on.

After half time it’s Mayes who gets us back out over 20 points and the blows come from both sides. Gollant with his third, Marshall answers with his third and Gollant soon has 4 in 20 minutes of play and the chess pieces are being shuffled behind the ball. Skinner was getting done 1 on 1, Jonas couldn’t cover both Gollant and Himmelberg ( more on Jonas later ) and the two pronged Adelaide talls are looking dangerous. McKenzie is forced into a minders role instead of the third man up and things are getting shaky. It’s here I told some mates Adelaide win.

Marshall added his 5th early in the last and every time Adelaide got back to within 2 goals Port would counter punch to keep them at arms length, at least until Himmelberg kicked his 3rd and 4th in a matter of minutes and the run had stopped for Port Adelaide. Adelaide had the momentum but that all looked to be in vain as the game ticked into the 29th minute and Travis Boak was lining up from 45m out in front, the shot missed and Adelaide had 90 seconds to take the game away.
Enough of that.

What’s the fix? There’s plenty of things going wrong for Port Adelaide at the moment on the field and a fair bit going wrong off of it.

On field there’s some serious disconnect in the team defence, there’s no doubt we’re missing Aliir and Clurey behind the ball but back there we’ve got the skipper in Tom Jonas, 2020 All Australian and BnF Byrne-Jones, McKenzie who gives his all every week and the cool head of Ryan Burton we surely have enough experience back there to set up defensively in the zone that has made us so hard to score against for 3 years. Something isn’t right.
Tom Jonas is under some pressure, if not for injury I think his spot in the side could be in jeopardy, he’s not impacting aerial contests as he once did and perhaps that’s on the back of Clurey being out of the side, Clurey keeps key forwards grounded with good body work and Jonas does the third man up role. McKenzie does similar but with Aliir missing we’ve got two under sized key defenders playing the big key defender roles and Jonas is struggling because of it.

Right now the loss of Ladhams and Lienert in the off season looks poor, but that’s a short sighted view as we need to see more of Josh Sinn before we see how that trade worked out and Skinner for Lienert is a longer term decision. At 27 Lienert hadn’t really ever taken his chances ( mind you, never did a lot wrong ) and Skinner at 24 offers some size Lienert didn’t. Finlayson can be given some time as he’s one off season and a handful of games into a new system but the pressure will come if there’s no form shown at SANFL level before Dixon returns. List management has got a lot right in recent years but at the moment this off season looks questionable. Time will tell here.

Off field the drums are beating, I have little doubt the 0-3 start spells the end of Hinkley’s reign at Alberton but I see no point in doing so now. Mid season coach sackings are a bad look and I hope we don’t go down that path, there’s nothing to gain when the season is shot but I’ve got a feeling a 0-4 this week after Melbourne and 0-5 after Carlton might be the end. Time will tell here, too.

Boon’s best : Boak, Marshall, Wines, Mayes honorable mention to Lycett who had his best game for the year.

Changes - I don't forsee many with the injury list still long, Bergman has one run udner his belt so he'll present himself as an option but other than that I don't see many making a case from below.

Really well written this well done. I was watching first crack and they showed that Port didn't employ a loose down back which is fairly standard when the opposition gets a run on at any time let alone late in the match. The show stated outright that it was down to Ken but surely the players shouldn't need to be instructed from the sidelines that a loose is needed with the Crows trying to stay in the game. At the moment Hinkley is in the gun but a lot of senior players need to have a good look at themselves. It was good to see Amon come out and take some ownership on behalf of the players. I think Port need to rekindle the us against the rest type of attitude that has truly defined the Port Adelaide ethos.

One other thing and I'm sure it has gotten a run, and that is Boak's tendency to not to deliver under pressure situations. He just has to have ghosts of important misses by now and they came back to haunt him on Friday. How many Port fans genuinely thought he was going to kick that? As a non Port fan who doesn't think back to the previous misses, I thought he was a monty to slot it. One more thing, those Port supporters on Big Footy are shocking. They have dead set given up. It's easy to support a club when you are winning six premierships in eight seasons but if you want your team to wear the bars maybe those guys should do so when the team isn't winning.

regards,

REB
Rik E Boy
Coach

Has liked: 1697 times
Been liked: 1813 times

Postby Rik E Boy » Mon Apr 04, 2022 1:09 pm

Booney wrote:
Jim05 wrote:Did I hear correctly that Duursma stuffed his shoulder in the twos or was it just a stinger?

Yeah, obviously hurt it against Brisbane, looked uncomfortable against the Hawks in a tackle and left the ground in the 3rd term Friday afternoon.

I could not believe it when I read some comments online bagging Duursma's desire. Of course you aren't going to go in full pelt when you are carrying an injury. He shouldn't have played against Hawthorn, it was obvious he was playing sore. The club should have ruled him out as no player is going to say 'nah Kenny, I'm out mate'. Sometimes the docs have to overrule and it should have been done last week. I rate Duursma up there with Butters as the top young talent in the club but if you play him sore you're going to break him. Have a look at Fyfe for reference.

regards,

REB
Rik E Boy
Coach

Postby Lightning McQueen » Mon Apr 04, 2022 1:10 pm

The current form highlights the importance of Aliir x2.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Postby Rik E Boy » Mon Apr 04, 2022 1:14 pm

Lightning McQueen wrote:The current form highlights the importance of Aliir x2.

And Dixon. I think back to the final we lost last year. We kept kicking it to him and had to go wide and Hawkins kicked 1.9....or something like that. Boon's point about easy shots is a valid one...especially when your game plan is Dixon focussed and he aint there. Time for think music as KB would say.

regards,

REB
Rik E Boy
Coach

Postby Lightning McQueen » Mon Apr 04, 2022 1:47 pm

Rik E Boy wrote:
Lightning McQueen wrote:The current form highlights the importance of Aliir x2.

And Dixon. I think back to the final we lost last year. We kept kicking it to him and had to go wide and Hawkins kicked 1.9....or something like that. Boon's point about easy shots is a valid one...especially when your game plan is Dixon focussed and he aint there. Time for think music as KB would say.

regards,

REB

Absolutely, people knock Dixon but his role is unique, he gets double and tripled every week so the ball can hit the deck for our swoopers, if he clunks a couple, then great, it would be great if he is still going strong when Mitch develops.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Postby MW » Mon Apr 04, 2022 2:30 pm

I see Port are offering 2 for 1 tickets at home vs reigning premier on a blockbuster time slot.
MW
Coach

Has liked: 2581 times
Been liked: 1822 times

Postby Booney » Mon Apr 04, 2022 2:47 pm

MW wrote:I see Port are offering 2 for 1 tickets at home vs reigning premier on a blockbuster time slot.

Blockbuster on TV? Yes

Blockbuster for parents on a school night and ammo's who train? No.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby Armchair expert » Mon Apr 04, 2022 2:51 pm

Booney wrote:
MW wrote:I see Port are offering 2 for 1 tickets at home vs reigning premier on a blockbuster time slot.

Blockbuster on TV? Yes

Weekend before Easter long weekend too
Dave Warner will be missed!
Armchair expert
Coach

Has liked: 379 times
Been liked: 1414 times
Grassroots Team: Ports

Postby Jim05 » Mon Apr 04, 2022 2:56 pm

Booney wrote:

Blockbuster on TV? Yes

Thursday nights are the worst IMO.
We have a stack of Port members at work that won’t go and wouldn’t even if they were 13-0.
For a 7pm start you need to take time off work and then get home at midnight
Jim05
Coach

Has liked: 1125 times
Been liked: 3534 times
Grassroots Team: South Gawler

Postby MW » Mon Apr 04, 2022 2:56 pm

Armchair expert wrote:
Booney wrote:

Blockbuster on TV? Yes

How does that affect them?
MW
Coach

Has liked: 2581 times
Been liked: 1822 times

Postby Brodlach » Mon Apr 04, 2022 2:57 pm

Playing like bunnies in headlights?
July 11th 2012....
Brodlach wrote:Rory Laird might end up the best IMO, he is an absolute jet. He has been in great form at the Bloods
Brodlach
Coach

Has liked: 72 times
Been liked: 4206 times
Grassroots Team: Colonel Light Gardens

Postby amber_fluid » Mon Apr 04, 2022 2:59 pm

MW wrote:
Armchair expert wrote:
Booney wrote:

Blockbuster on TV? Yes

Just another excuse not to turn up
There are no stupid questions, just stupid people.
amber_fluid
Coach

Has liked: 2217 times
Been liked: 2508 times

Postby Booney » Mon Apr 04, 2022 3:01 pm

Jim05 wrote:
Booney wrote:

Blockbuster on TV? Yes

Thursday nights are the worst IMO.
We have a stack of Port members at work that won’t go and wouldn’t even if they were 13-0.
For a 7pm start you need to take time off work and then get home at midnight

How? If you finish at 5 you've an hour to get home and an hour to get there, unless you live in the way outer suburbs that's very achievable in Adelaide.

7:10 start > about 10pm finish, 2 hours to get home?
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby am Bays » Mon Apr 04, 2022 3:02 pm

amber_fluid wrote:
MW wrote:

No excuses to leave early for the train then even if they are 6 goals down at 3/4 time...
Let that be a lesson to you Port, no one beats the Bays five times in a row in a GF and gets away with it!!!
am Bays
Coach

Has liked: 162 times
Been liked: 1804 times

Postby Booney » Mon Apr 04, 2022 3:08 pm

am Bays wrote:
amber_fluid wrote:
MW wrote:

No excuses to leave early for the train then even if they are 6 goals down at 3/4 time...

This is such a lame take.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby saintal » Mon Apr 04, 2022 3:30 pm

With an average of 30-35K active covid cases currently and the rules around close/household contacts, what % of the state's population would be stuck in isolation?? Especially where children are the covid carriers, wiping out their parents/siblings etc.

Would have to be a contributor in the below-average attendances so far this season.

Thursday night is a rubbish timeslot to attend, agree on that.
SAFC- 60 years...
StKFC- 58 years..
saintal
Coach

Has liked: 346 times
Been liked: 428 times

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  AFL