2022 AFL Season

Talk on the national game

Re: 2022 AFL Season

Postby gadj1976 » Sun Mar 27, 2022 8:45 pm

Jim05 wrote:
Brodlach wrote:Zac Merritt out for 6-8 weeks after ankle surgery
Lock us in for bottom 4. Season rapidly unraveling

There might be 14 teams battling for that, all it needs is a Covid spread to hit the club and anyone could be down there.

This season, more than any is the most unpredictable of any I can remember.
gadj1976
Coach

Has liked: 795 times
Been liked: 849 times

Postby Vamos » Sun Mar 27, 2022 8:55 pm

Syndesmosis, what a rort. I reckon the Surgeon and Anaesthetist union got together to make money from the most common injury in sport, the humble sprained ankle. Un-bloody heard of 10 years ago. Zach Merret the latest to succumb to the dreaded rolled ankle :roll:
Whoops, there goes another year. Whoops, there goes another pint of beer.
Vamos
League - Top 5

Has liked: 344 times
Been liked: 454 times
Grassroots Team: Port District

Postby gadj1976 » Sun Mar 27, 2022 9:56 pm

Vamos wrote:Syndesmosis, what a rort. I reckon the Surgeon and Anaesthetist union got together to make money from the most common injury in sport, the humble sprained ankle. Un-bloody heard of 10 years ago. Zach Merret the latest to succumb to the dreaded rolled ankle :roll:

Dr Vamos, at your service.
gadj1976
Coach

Postby Vamos » Sun Mar 27, 2022 10:20 pm

gadj1976 wrote:
Vamos wrote:Syndesmosis, what a rort. I reckon the Surgeon and Anaesthetist union got together to make money from the most common injury in sport, the humble sprained ankle. Un-bloody heard of 10 years ago. Zach Merret the latest to succumb to the dreaded rolled ankle :roll:

Dr Vamos, at your service.

Dr Vamos FRACGP, MBBS thankyou.
Whoops, there goes another year. Whoops, there goes another pint of beer.
Vamos
League - Top 5

Has liked: 344 times
Been liked: 454 times
Grassroots Team: Port District

Postby whufc » Mon Mar 28, 2022 8:09 am

Are players still made to have their ankles strapped for every game like they used to be.....or was this one of the budget cuts during Covid. :lol:
RIP PH408 63notoutforever
whufc
Coach

Has liked: 5565 times
Been liked: 2519 times
Grassroots Team: BSR

Postby am Bays » Mon Apr 04, 2022 12:15 pm

I’m not say Carlton fans are getting ahead of themselves but this just popped up in my FB feed….
Attachments
73EC3524-2655-46AA-A5A6-15EA0E647610.jpeg
73EC3524-2655-46AA-A5A6-15EA0E647610.jpeg (187.64 KiB) Viewed 629 times
Let that be a lesson to you Port, no one beats the Bays five times in a row in a GF and gets away with it!!!
am Bays
Coach

Has liked: 162 times
Been liked: 1804 times

Postby Rik E Boy » Mon Apr 04, 2022 1:15 pm

am Bays wrote:I’m not say Carlton fans are getting ahead of themselves but this just popped up in my FB feed….

BWHAHAHAHA. That is funny.

regards,

REB
Rik E Boy
Coach

Has liked: 1697 times
Been liked: 1813 times

Postby amber_fluid » Mon Apr 04, 2022 1:49 pm

Rik E Boy wrote:
am Bays wrote:I’m not say Carlton fans are getting ahead of themselves but this just popped up in my FB feed….

BWHAHAHAHA. That is funny.

regards,

REB

I’ve booked holidays around that time, have enquired about flights and accommodation In Melbourne around that time but purely coincidental!
There are no stupid questions, just stupid people.
amber_fluid
Coach

Has liked: 2217 times
Been liked: 2508 times

Postby Wedgie » Mon Apr 04, 2022 1:56 pm

Sorry if its been mentioned before but seems a fair point?

Dual premiership North Melbourne player David King has called for a change to the medical substitute rule after Geelong’s come-from-behind win over Collingwood on Saturday night.

Geelong used its medical substitute at three-quarter time in the round three match, with small forward Luke Dahlhaus replacing utility Esava Ratugolea, who suffered a leg injury in the third term.

Dahlhaus played a key role in the final term as the Cats stormed home to win after facing a 30-point deficit at the final change, while Collingwood’s sub - big-bodied midfielder Tyler Brown - remained on the bench given no injuries were sustained by the Pies.

On Fox Footy’s First Crack, King showed vision of Dahlhaus’ repeat efforts in the final term that led to scores - efforts he said could not be replicated by players who had already endured three quarters of hard running.

“The injury to Esava Ratugolea opened the door for them to bring on a runner and the runner was Luke Dahlhaus,” King said.

“He had a fantastic final term, he had seven disposals, he started at centre bounce, he was a generator ... he moves at a speed the others can’t go at because they’ve played for 90 minutes already.”

Underscoring his influence, Dahlhaus had four score involvements in the final quarter - more than any other player on the ground.

A change to the substitute rule that allows the opposition to activate its sub once their opponent does, King said, would make the playing field more even.

“I think the Pies should’ve been afforded the same luxury. Why do you get an advantage for bringing a sub on after getting an injury?”, he said.

“Credit to Luke for being a fantastic substitute on the night but why couldn’t Brown come on for the Pies at the same time and they take a tall off and you go like-for-like?

“We shouldn’t have games separated because you get an injury and have the ability to bring fresh talent on.”

Former St Kilda star Leigh Montagna agreed the Pies were “disadvantaged because Ratugolea got injured” and that the AFL should look at revising the rule.

“He had a huge influence in that fourth quarter, not just with disposals but also his ability to cover the ground and support defensively, lay tackles and everything else that helped Geelong get over the line,” he said.

For King, the revision was a “no-brainer”.

“It’s not tactical, it’s just matching the advantage you’re giving the opposition.”
Wedgie
Site Admin

Has liked: 2023 times
Been liked: 3867 times
Grassroots Team: Noarlunga

Postby Lightning McQueen » Mon Apr 04, 2022 2:09 pm

Wedgie wrote:Sorry if its been mentioned before but seems a fair point?

Dual premiership North Melbourne player David King has called for a change to the medical substitute rule after Geelong’s come-from-behind win over Collingwood on Saturday night.

Geelong used its medical substitute at three-quarter time in the round three match, with small forward Luke Dahlhaus replacing utility Esava Ratugolea, who suffered a leg injury in the third term.

Dahlhaus played a key role in the final term as the Cats stormed home to win after facing a 30-point deficit at the final change, while Collingwood’s sub - big-bodied midfielder Tyler Brown - remained on the bench given no injuries were sustained by the Pies.

On Fox Footy’s First Crack, King showed vision of Dahlhaus’ repeat efforts in the final term that led to scores - efforts he said could not be replicated by players who had already endured three quarters of hard running.

“The injury to Esava Ratugolea opened the door for them to bring on a runner and the runner was Luke Dahlhaus,” King said.

“He had a fantastic final term, he had seven disposals, he started at centre bounce, he was a generator ... he moves at a speed the others can’t go at because they’ve played for 90 minutes already.”

Underscoring his influence, Dahlhaus had four score involvements in the final quarter - more than any other player on the ground.

A change to the substitute rule that allows the opposition to activate its sub once their opponent does, King said, would make the playing field more even.

“I think the Pies should’ve been afforded the same luxury. Why do you get an advantage for bringing a sub on after getting an injury?”, he said.

“Credit to Luke for being a fantastic substitute on the night but why couldn’t Brown come on for the Pies at the same time and they take a tall off and you go like-for-like?

“We shouldn’t have games separated because you get an injury and have the ability to bring fresh talent on.”

Former St Kilda star Leigh Montagna agreed the Pies were “disadvantaged because Ratugolea got injured” and that the AFL should look at revising the rule.

“He had a huge influence in that fourth quarter, not just with disposals but also his ability to cover the ground and support defensively, lay tackles and everything else that helped Geelong get over the line,” he said.

“It’s not tactical, it’s just matching the advantage you’re giving the opposition.”

Hasn't it been getting abused since it's inception?

It's just basically the sub rule again.

Once upon a time they listed 20.
HOGG SHIELD DIVISION V WINNER 2018.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Has liked: 4339 times
Been liked: 7902 times

Postby Wedgie » Mon Apr 04, 2022 2:12 pm

It wasn't abused as Ratugolea was genuinely injured, it was just the quirk of the rule and that Geelong had a runner as their sub that it worked out as well as it did.
Just go back to 4 interchange IMHO.
Wedgie
Site Admin

Postby am Bays » Mon Apr 04, 2022 2:13 pm

So what happens if team gets A gets an injury and activates their medical sub, then team B goes OK we'll activate ours...

Nek minute team B gets an injury and now is playing with one less player, due to having used their medical sub for tactical reasons

No system is perfect leave the the game alone because as soon as you "fix" one anomaly you create another.
Let that be a lesson to you Port, no one beats the Bays five times in a row in a GF and gets away with it!!!
am Bays
Coach

Postby Armchair expert » Mon Apr 04, 2022 2:28 pm

Geelong being dodgy, colour me surprised.

Subbed off = ruled out for 14 days

easy fix that should have been implemented from day dot, another **** up by Steve sHocking
Dave Warner will be missed!
Armchair expert
Coach

Has liked: 379 times
Been liked: 1414 times
Grassroots Team: Ports

Postby Jim05 » Mon Apr 04, 2022 2:41 pm

Armchair expert wrote:Geelong being dodgy, colour me surprised.

easy fix that should have been implemented from day dot, another **** up by Steve sHocking
That is exactly what should happen.
If you are subbed out you miss 2 weeks
Jim05
Coach

Has liked: 1125 times
Been liked: 3534 times
Grassroots Team: South Gawler

Postby gadj1976 » Mon Apr 04, 2022 2:49 pm

Wedgie wrote:Sorry if its been mentioned before but seems a fair point?

Not saying it happened but Pittonet was subbed off with an injury deep into the final quarter against the Hawks when we looked like we were being overrun. Jack Martin was subbed on.

Wouldn't teams be using this as a tactic already? If Pittonet plays this week I suspect that they used it tactically rather than its intended purpose.
gadj1976
Coach

Postby Lightning McQueen » Mon Apr 04, 2022 3:18 pm

Wedgie wrote:It wasn't abused as Ratugolea was genuinely injured, it was just the quirk of the rule and that Geelong had a runner as their sub that it worked out as well as it did.

I was generalizing, not accusing.

I agree with you, play with 22 or 24 and keep unable to be rorted.

I was always under the assumption that it was a concussion rule, therefore the player misses the following week.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Postby Wedgie » Mon Apr 04, 2022 3:24 pm

Lightning McQueen wrote:
Wedgie wrote:It wasn't abused as Ratugolea was genuinely injured, it was just the quirk of the rule and that Geelong had a runner as their sub that it worked out as well as it did.

I was generalizing, not accusing.

I agree with you, play with 22 or 24 and keep unable to be rorted.

I was always under the assumption that it was a concussion rule, therefore the player misses the following week.

The rule originated as a concussion rule but coaches voted unanimously to have it for any injury just before the 2021 season.
Wedgie
Site Admin

Postby Lightning McQueen » Mon Apr 04, 2022 4:45 pm

Wedgie wrote:The rule originated as a concussion rule but coaches voted unanimously to have it for any injury just before the 2021 season.

"Hamstring tightness"
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Postby am Bays » Mon Apr 04, 2022 5:01 pm

Lightning McQueen wrote:
Wedgie wrote:The rule originated as a concussion rule but coaches voted unanimously to have it for any injury just before the 2021 season.

"Hamstring awareness"

EFA
am Bays
Coach

Postby gadj1976 » Mon Apr 04, 2022 5:11 pm

Jim05 wrote:
Armchair expert wrote:Geelong being dodgy, colour me surprised.

That is exactly what should happen.
If you are subbed out you miss 2 weeks

I agree with the concept but not 14 days though, make it 10 so that if you get subbed out on a Sunday you can still play the following week's Thursday or Friday night game. I think missing two games is too harsh.
gadj1976
Coach

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  AFL