2022 AFL Season

Talk on the national game

Re: 2022 AFL Season

Postby Jim05 » Mon Apr 04, 2022 5:49 pm

gadj1976 wrote:
Jim05 wrote:
Armchair expert wrote:Geelong being dodgy, colour me surprised.

Subbed off = ruled out for 14 days

easy fix that should have been implemented from day dot, another **** up by Steve sHocking
That is exactly what should happen.
If you are subbed out you miss 2 weeks

I agree with the concept but not 14 days though, make it 10 so that if you get subbed out on a Sunday you can still play the following week's Thursday or Friday night game. I think missing two games is too harsh.
I don’t think it’s harsh at all. If it’s not a serious enough injury for you to miss 2 weeks you stay out there until the end.
Need to send a message to the coaches that a sub is only to be used for serious injury or concussion replacements
Jim05
Coach

Has liked: 1126 times
Been liked: 3552 times
Grassroots Team: South Gawler

Postby tigerpie » Mon Apr 04, 2022 5:59 pm

The problem Saturday night was that Sidebottom was unable to finish the last quarter with cramp.
We couldn't replace him, as cramp isn't an injury.
Would've been handy to get Brown on for his fresh legs.
tigerpie
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 500 times
Been liked: 431 times

Postby Vamos » Mon Apr 04, 2022 6:43 pm

Jim05 wrote:
gadj1976 wrote:
Jim05 wrote:
Armchair expert wrote:Geelong being dodgy, colour me surprised.

Subbed off = ruled out for 14 days

easy fix that should have been implemented from day dot, another **** up by Steve sHocking
That is exactly what should happen.
If you are subbed out you miss 2 weeks

I agree with the concept but not 14 days though, make it 10 so that if you get subbed out on a Sunday you can still play the following week's Thursday or Friday night game. I think missing two games is too harsh.
I don’t think it’s harsh at all. If it’s not a serious enough injury for you to miss 2 weeks you stay out there until the end.
Need to send a message to the coaches that a sub is only to be used for serious injury or concussion replacements

Ridiculous. You blokes ever played footy, if you have you'd know there's a multitude of injuries that cause a player to sit out the remainder of a game that have a quick recovery time. Laceration that won't stop bleeding, rolled ankle, continued cramp, mild muscle tweaks, back spasms, blurred vision, sickness, just to name a few. Just make it 4 on the bench again, I'd even go 6 on the bench if there wasn't so many clubs.
Whoops, there goes another year. Whoops, there goes another pint of beer.
Vamos
League - Top 5

Has liked: 354 times
Been liked: 469 times
Grassroots Team: Port District

Postby gadj1976 » Mon Apr 04, 2022 6:48 pm

Vamos wrote:Ridiculous. You blokes ever played footy, if you have you'd know there's a multitude of injuries that cause a player to sit out the remainder of a game that have a quick recovery time. Laceration that won't stop bleeding, rolled ankle, continued cramp, mild muscle tweaks, back spasms, blurred vision, sickness, just to name a few. Just make it 4 on the bench again, I'd even go 6 on the bench if there wasn't so many clubs.

Yes, 25 years worth but that's another issue.

Of course I know that injuries can resolve themselves in less than a week.

We were talking in the context of a team subbing someone off with a faux injury, so we don't get in a situation where people are being subbed out due to being tired and having fresh unutilised legs on the bench.

However the rule will more than likely be changed to include the ruling that King(?) stated where the opposition team can put their sub on when the first team activates their sub, making the entire conversation, moot!
gadj1976
Coach

Has liked: 796 times
Been liked: 850 times

Postby MW » Mon Apr 04, 2022 7:07 pm

The irony of the AFL creating the sub rule to make it fair when it's making it unfair
MW
Coach

Has liked: 2602 times
Been liked: 1844 times

Postby Vamos » Mon Apr 04, 2022 7:23 pm

gadj1976 wrote:
Vamos wrote:Ridiculous. You blokes ever played footy, if you have you'd know there's a multitude of injuries that cause a player to sit out the remainder of a game that have a quick recovery time. Laceration that won't stop bleeding, rolled ankle, continued cramp, mild muscle tweaks, back spasms, blurred vision, sickness, just to name a few. Just make it 4 on the bench again, I'd even go 6 on the bench if there wasn't so many clubs.

We were talking in the context of a team subbing someone off with a faux injury, so we don't get in a situation where people are being subbed out due to being tired and having fresh unutilised legs on the bench.

However the rule will more than likely be changed to include the ruling that King(?) stated where the opposition team can put their sub on when the first team activates their sub, making the entire conversation, moot!

32 years for me, how's your arthritis? ;)

My opinion is the Sub adds nothing to the game, if they're named to play they should be able to come on whenever it suits. Who was the Sub in the AA side last year?
Vamos
League - Top 5

Postby LaughingKookaburra » Mon Apr 04, 2022 10:02 pm

Personally think there should be some sort of a repercussion for subbing players out, maybe one that says 15 or less subs per year allowed per club and you can name as many subs as you want (only counted as a match played if you get subbed in). If you want to use 3 subs in a game, go for it. That would stop clubs doing it tactically at least for the majority of the season.
Can you bring a man to his feet when defeat is on repeat?
LaughingKookaburra
Coach

Has liked: 72 times
Been liked: 740 times
Grassroots Team: Kenilworth

Postby tigerpie » Mon Apr 04, 2022 10:21 pm

The problem in Kings idea is what if the sub is activated 5 minutes into the first quarter.
Is the opposition obliged to make it as well?
Just make the rule that you can sub anyone off at any time for any reason.
They no longer take part in the game but are available the following week.
tigerpie
Assistant Coach

Postby Armchair expert » Mon Apr 04, 2022 10:26 pm

tigerpie wrote:The problem in Kings idea is what if the sub is activated 5 minutes into the first quarter.

That is just the old sub rule that everyone hated
Dave Warner will be missed!
Armchair expert
Coach

Has liked: 383 times
Been liked: 1435 times
Grassroots Team: Ports

Postby tigerpie » Mon Apr 04, 2022 10:32 pm

Armchair expert wrote:
tigerpie wrote:The problem in Kings idea is what if the sub is activated 5 minutes into the first quarter.

I'm not a fan either, but the current model sucked for us.
Geelong got a clear advantage from an injury.
If we could've subbed sidey out then it would've been even.
tigerpie
Assistant Coach

Postby Vamos » Mon Apr 04, 2022 10:34 pm

Armchair expert wrote:

Why do we need it, are clubs requesting it?
Vamos
League - Top 5

Postby gadj1976 » Mon Apr 04, 2022 11:31 pm

Vamos wrote:
gadj1976 wrote:

32 years for me, how's your arthritis? ;)

My opinion is the Sub adds nothing to the game, if they're named to play they should be able to come on whenever it suits. Who was the Sub in the AA side last year?

We've got two things in common! Arthritis and the hate of the sub.
gadj1976
Coach

Postby Lightning McQueen » Tue Apr 05, 2022 9:41 am

gadj1976 wrote:
We've got two things in common! Arthritis and the hate of the sub.

I'm surprised that subway haven't jumped all over the sub for some marketing.

I too think it's a bullshit concept open to be manipulated with.
HOGG SHIELD DIVISION V WINNER 2018.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Has liked: 4344 times
Been liked: 7921 times

Postby DOC » Tue Apr 05, 2022 10:28 am

It is another of the Steve Hocking inspired changes to distance the AFL from all other leagues.

These arsewipes love to tell people they are custodians of the game yet they seek to make it only about the elite few at the expense of all others without a care.

666, stand, protected zone, rotations, subs, 4 interchange, score reviews, mid season draft, pre season draft, covid top ups, percentage that is not percentage, deliberate and especially a 50 metre kick that does a left turn after it's sixth bounce, GWS, Gold Coast, special mention to them drawing 4000 (not a typo) to their game on Saturday, clash jumpers, umpires in every colour bar white, repeated drug violations are ok if you claim mental health which simply demeans any person with genuine needs, if you go in to get the ball you will most likely be the one penalised unless you flap like a chook and do love taps to the football, no Tasmanian side.

We do not watch better football because of all the changes. Leave the game alone.
DOC
Coach

Has liked: 730 times
Been liked: 2085 times

Postby gadj1976 » Tue Apr 05, 2022 11:11 am

DOC wrote:It is another of the Steve Hocking inspired changes to distance the AFL from all other leagues.

These arsewipes love to tell people they are custodians of the game yet they seek to make it only about the elite few at the expense of all others without a care.

666, stand, protected zone, rotations, subs, 4 interchange, score reviews, mid season draft, pre season draft, covid top ups, percentage that is not percentage, deliberate and especially a 50 metre kick that does a left turn after it's sixth bounce, GWS, Gold Coast, special mention to them drawing 4000 (not a typo) to their game on Saturday, clash jumpers, umpires in every colour bar white, repeated drug violations are ok if you claim mental health which simply demeans any person with genuine needs, if you go in to get the ball you will most likely be the one penalised unless you flap like a chook and do love taps to the football, no Tasmanian side.

We do not watch better football because of all the changes. Leave the game alone.

The holding the ball where a player doesn't have the ball at the bottom of a pack (difficult to get rid of it if you don't have it) and nominating ruckman are my two major gripes on top of what you've stated above.
gadj1976
Coach

Postby DOC » Tue Apr 05, 2022 12:00 pm

Yep.

If they stopped umpiring 35 metres off the ball (there are 3 of them) after a stoppage then they could quickly blow it up and ball it up.

I also forgot to mention how every umpire at every bounce/ball up has to tell the players that he will go out backwards.
DOC
Coach

Has liked: 730 times
Been liked: 2085 times

Postby mots02 » Tue Apr 05, 2022 12:05 pm

DOC wrote:It is another of the Steve Hocking inspired changes to distance the AFL from all other leagues.

Thats my kinda rant, bravo!
mots02
League - Top 5

Has liked: 137 times
Been liked: 877 times
Grassroots Team: Reynella

Postby FlyingHigh » Tue Apr 05, 2022 12:18 pm

gadj1976 wrote:

The holding the ball where a player doesn't have the ball at the bottom of a pack (difficult to get rid of it if you don't have it) and nominating ruckman are my two major gripes on top of what you've stated above.

Doc for PM, Governor, King and Queen

Agree with the HTB gadj, but disagree with the ruckman. With the amount of running and ground the players cover, nominating the ruckman so the umpire knows where they are is a sensible safety precaution. I know that may not be why it was brought in, but why I think it has merit.

On the sub - make it so it can only be activated at half or three quarter time (the rule would stipulate which one, not a coaches choice), and if they don't want to make it too bad. The sub would then either play a reasonable amount of game time or not at all, rather than potentially just 10 minutes.
FlyingHigh
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 81 times
Been liked: 174 times

Postby Vamos » Tue Apr 05, 2022 8:23 pm

Great post :lol:
Chopping the arms is another rubbish one I reckon, it's very netball like. Doesn't promote strong hands either.
Vamos
League - Top 5

Postby mots02 » Wed Apr 06, 2022 9:40 am

Vamos wrote:

Great post :lol:
Chopping the arms is another rubbish one I reckon, it's very netball like. Doesn't promote strong hands either.

Spot the bloke that played full back in the 90's ;)
mots02
League - Top 5

Has liked: 137 times
Been liked: 877 times
Grassroots Team: Reynella

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  AFL