Port Adelaide 2022

Talk on the national game

Re: Port Adelaide 2022

Postby MW » Wed Apr 06, 2022 10:26 am

What's the general consensus from Port fans on this forum? Socials are blowing up with sack Ken narrative...is it that simple?

Injuries to key position players taking that much of a toll it's put you 0-3 or more too it?

I still think you'll finish in the top 8 and if fit, still challenge but it will just be more difficult. Could even be what you need with expectations reduced rather than be the regular season front runners and fall over in the prelim under massive internal pressure.
MW
Coach
 
 
Posts: 11715
Joined: Wed Nov 30, 2005 8:55 pm
Has liked: 2157 times
Been liked: 1545 times

Re: Port Adelaide 2022

Postby Lightning McQueen » Wed Apr 06, 2022 10:33 am

MW wrote:What's the general consensus from Port fans on this forum? Socials are blowing up with sack Ken narrative...is it that simple?

Injuries to key position players taking that much of a toll it's put you 0-3 or more too it?

I still think you'll finish in the top 8 and if fit, still challenge but it will just be more difficult. Could even be what you need with expectations reduced rather than be the regular season front runners and fall over in the prelim under massive internal pressure.

A bit of column A and a bit of column B IMO.

I don't get too wound up over anything I can't control but I think the brain isn't getting the message through to the hands, the last two prelim's were enough for me to draw that conclusion, I don't think the group has the mental tenacity under Kenny to win a flag.

Being 0-3 and who we have lost to has given everyone the notion that this will be another failed season so the pitchforks are out.

But yeah, lose your top defender and two best forwards and you're in a bit of strife, especially when the game plans are moulded around two of them.
HOGG SHIELD DIVISION V WINNER 2018.
User avatar
Lightning McQueen
Coach
 
Posts: 47773
Joined: Mon Mar 03, 2008 9:43 am
Location: Radiator Springs
Has liked: 3903 times
Been liked: 6873 times

Re: Port Adelaide 2022

Postby Booney » Wed Apr 06, 2022 10:39 am

Our spine has been hit hard, Dixon, Aliir and Clurey (back this week) all out at once means we're down our most important key forward and two key defenders, but there's no excuse for dropping the Brisbane and Adelaide games, both of them we had our opportunities to finish the game off and didn't take them.

As for sacking the coach, that'll come at the end of the year if we don't play finals, which at 0-4 will be tough. I don't think it's the move of a club in control when you sack coaches mid year and more so one that has just been in back-to-back prelims. When clubs like Carlton, North and St Kilda sack coaches mid year it's on the back of poor performances over a period of time, not two top 4 finishes. He's at very least earnt the right to see the year out.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
User avatar
Booney
Coach
 
 
Posts: 53969
Joined: Thu Oct 27, 2005 1:47 pm
Location: Alberton proud
Has liked: 6375 times
Been liked: 9450 times

Re: Port Adelaide 2022

Postby whufc » Wed Apr 06, 2022 10:42 am

Lightning McQueen wrote:
MW wrote:What's the general consensus from Port fans on this forum? Socials are blowing up with sack Ken narrative...is it that simple?

Injuries to key position players taking that much of a toll it's put you 0-3 or more too it?

I still think you'll finish in the top 8 and if fit, still challenge but it will just be more difficult. Could even be what you need with expectations reduced rather than be the regular season front runners and fall over in the prelim under massive internal pressure.

A bit of column A and a bit of column B IMO.

I don't get too wound up over anything I can't control but I think the brain isn't getting the message through to the hands, the last two prelim's were enough for me to draw that conclusion, I don't think the group has the mental tenacity under Kenny to win a flag.

Being 0-3 and who we have lost to has given everyone the notion that this will be another failed season so the pitchforks are out.

But yeah, lose your top defender and two best forwards and you're in a bit of strife, especially when the game plans are moulded around two of them.


We were chatting about the injuries and its probably an understated point how much Port do really rely on Aliir and Dixon to complete their structure. The same effect would probably happen to Geelong if you took out Stewart and Hawkins. When I think of Melbourne, Bulldogs and Brisbane they probably don't have two players that changes so much about how they play.
RIP PH408 63notoutforever
User avatar
whufc
Coach
 
 
Posts: 24709
Joined: Tue Aug 01, 2006 10:56 am
Location: Blakeview
Has liked: 4619 times
Been liked: 2032 times
Grassroots Team: BSR

Re: Port Adelaide 2022

Postby Booney » Wed Apr 06, 2022 10:47 am

Aliir and Clurey are the two big bodied key defenders, we're missing both of them. Dixon and Gray arguably the two most important forwards, we're missing both of them.

Last years injuries were Duursma, Butters, Jones, Hartlett, Farrell, Bonner, Rockliff...easier to cover mids than it is key positions. We covered them last year with the likes of Woodcock, Frederick, Mayes etc all playing roles as needed.

Still, no excuses, we had our chances in two games and should be 2-1.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
User avatar
Booney
Coach
 
 
Posts: 53969
Joined: Thu Oct 27, 2005 1:47 pm
Location: Alberton proud
Has liked: 6375 times
Been liked: 9450 times

Re: Port Adelaide 2022

Postby MW » Wed Apr 06, 2022 10:49 am

Booney wrote:Aliir and Clurey are the two big bodied key defenders, we're missing both of them. Dixon and Gray arguably the two most important forwards, we're missing both of them.

Last years injuries were Duursma, Butters, Jones, Hartlett, Farrell, Bonner, Rockliff...easier to cover mids than it is key positions. We covered them last year with the likes of Woodcock, Frederick, Mayes etc all playing roles as needed.

Still, no excuses, we had our chances in two games and should be 2-1.


Clurey was being kept out by McKenzie though?
MW
Coach
 
 
Posts: 11715
Joined: Wed Nov 30, 2005 8:55 pm
Has liked: 2157 times
Been liked: 1545 times

Re: Port Adelaide 2022

Postby Booney » Wed Apr 06, 2022 10:54 am

Clurey broke his jaw mid year last year and McKenzie came in and held his spot. Clurey then had a knee clean out after Xmas and has only just become available.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
User avatar
Booney
Coach
 
 
Posts: 53969
Joined: Thu Oct 27, 2005 1:47 pm
Location: Alberton proud
Has liked: 6375 times
Been liked: 9450 times

Re: Port Adelaide 2022

Postby Vamos » Wed Apr 06, 2022 12:37 pm

I'm as frustrated as the next Port fan, I mean we had it served on a silver platter in 2020 but didn’t take it and last year we were putrid in the Prelim. I think if we had a better gameplan we would have added to the silverware in that time but that ship has sailed now I feel. Love what Ken has done but time for a fresh start, Ken deserves to see the year out though.
Whoops, there goes another year. Whoops, there goes another pint of beer.
Vamos
Reserves
 
Posts: 872
Joined: Sat Aug 28, 2021 12:55 am
Has liked: 89 times
Been liked: 129 times
Grassroots Team: North Haven

Re: Port Adelaide 2022

Postby mots02 » Wed Apr 06, 2022 12:45 pm

Round 1 was a good but un-polished (and ultimately unfinished) effort against Brisbane
Round 2 was a bit of a stinker on lots of levels against the Hawks, but kicking straighter might have kept you in the game longer.
Round 3 you kick straighter and Dawsons kick after the siren makes no difference.

I'm no fan of Ken, but I don't think he can take the heat for all of it, the players should have iced the game against the crows and could have closed out Brisbane in the last, but didn't.

1 - 2 or 2 - 1 feels better than 0-3.

0-4 or 0-5 would see the pressure really ramp up, but i think they will win at least 1 of their next 2, just by executing better for longer.
User avatar
mots02
League - Best 21
 
 
Posts: 2077
Joined: Tue Mar 13, 2012 3:42 pm
Has liked: 119 times
Been liked: 646 times
Grassroots Team: Reynella

Re: Port Adelaide 2022

Postby whufc » Wed Apr 06, 2022 12:53 pm

Agree its not the worst 0-3 you've ever seen if that makes sense, there are some positives. The worry if I was a Port supporter would be:

-Lycett struggling, is Hayes read to go??
-Rozee is walking a fine line of being one of those players who perform when the going is easy but doesn't have the heart or strength to get into a game when its tough
-Duursma will his body ever hold up, now has had a signigicant contact injury and has also had a significant structural injury last season. Is only 21 gut feel tells me his body just isn't ready for the total demands of AFL. Hopefully this changes when he matures but is a big IF.
-Its evident how important Aliir and Dixon are to the side. How do you replace them or how do Port hold on until they come back. This will test Hinkley coaching adaptability
RIP PH408 63notoutforever
User avatar
whufc
Coach
 
 
Posts: 24709
Joined: Tue Aug 01, 2006 10:56 am
Location: Blakeview
Has liked: 4619 times
Been liked: 2032 times
Grassroots Team: BSR

Re: Port Adelaide 2022

Postby Lightning McQueen » Wed Apr 06, 2022 12:54 pm

whufc wrote:Agree its not the worst 0-3 you've ever seen if that makes sense, there are some positives. The worry if I was a Port supporter would be:

-Lycett struggling, is Hayes read to go??
-Rozee is walking a fine line of being one of those players who perform when the going is easy but doesn't have the heart or strength to get into a game when its tough
-Duursma will his body ever hold up, now has had a signigicant contact injury and has also had a significant structural injury last season. Is only 21 gut feel tells me his body just isn't ready for the total demands of AFL. Hopefully this changes when he matures but is a big IF.
-Its evident how important Aliir and Dixon are to the side. How do you replace them or how do Port hold on until they come back. This will test Hinkley coaching adaptability

Lycett was excellent Friday night, and against a good opponent.
HOGG SHIELD DIVISION V WINNER 2018.
User avatar
Lightning McQueen
Coach
 
Posts: 47773
Joined: Mon Mar 03, 2008 9:43 am
Location: Radiator Springs
Has liked: 3903 times
Been liked: 6873 times

Re: Port Adelaide 2022

Postby Trader » Wed Apr 06, 2022 12:59 pm

MW wrote:What's the general consensus from Port fans on this forum? Socials are blowing up with sack Ken narrative...is it that simple?


I'm blinded by my dislike of Ken.
A lot of supporters have recently joined in the thinking that Ken isn't any good. But I've been off him for years, I'll chuck a few older quotes in below starting from 6 seasons ago to as recent as the start of last year.

But the thing is, we never really know how good a coach actually is.
If a coach does well and wins a flag, is that cause he's a good coach, or cause he got handed a team on a silver platter (Chris Scott).
If a team bottoms out, is that cause the coach lost the players, or was his squad never any good?
If a team makes a prelim, is that cause the coach was good, or cause covid lead to a favourable draw and home fixtures?

The thing with footy is you play the season with the coach you have. The fixtures are what they are for that year. The injuries are what they are. You don't get to take the same team in the same conditions with a new coach and re-run the simulation to see if there is a better result.
Footy is an industry with a million different variables that all play parts in the final result (some bigger than others), and you'll never be able to isolate and test an individual setting.

Is Ken a good, bad or indifferent coach? No one can say with any real certainty.
For mine, I'm off him, but then again, I'm just some pleb from the outside looking in without a true understanding of his actual abilities.

Tue Sep 19, 2017 10:08 am
viewtopic.php?f=11&t=41640&p=2200976&hilit=+ken#p2200976
Trader wrote:I am not impressed with this move.

I don't rate our list and think he's done well to get as much out of it as he has, however I don't think Ken is worth 900k, and certainly not worth 4 years.

But, what's done is done, so I guess I better get used to it!


Thu Oct 04, 2018 3:21 pm
viewtopic.php?f=11&t=42440&p=2308634&hilit=+ken#p2308634
Trader wrote:Heck, might even allow ken to approach a game with a positive mind set. Actually, scrap that, lets keep our dreams realistic...


Fri May 10, 2019 12:04 am
viewtopic.php?f=11&t=42488&p=2353134&hilit=+ken#p2353134
Trader wrote:Um, wtf has ken done with selection. Midfielders out, small forwards in??

Amon and Johnson both in. Its like we are playing with 16...

Cant for the life of me work out what Trengrove has done wrong. Safe to say he'll be playing local footy next year.


Wed May 15, 2019 1:01 pm
viewtopic.php?f=11&t=42460&p=2354530&hilit=+ken#p2354530
Trader wrote:Not only are we in the bottom 6 for retaining the ball when we go inside 50, we rank 16th of 18 for converting shots on goal. That is to say, on the odd chance we actually keep the ball and kick a score, it's likely to be a miss given how wide we are in the pockets.

It's a terrible game plan. I hate it.
I understand with Dixon out and our other 'bigs' generally being inexperienced as forward there are limited options for Ken, but I'd prefer we stuck someone up there and tried to play footy and lose, rather than play this terrible BS and lose anyway.


Wed Jan 13, 2021 3:15 pm
viewtopic.php?f=11&t=43259&p=2473973&hilit=+hinkley#p2473973
Trader wrote:
Booney wrote:You can give Hinkley one thing, either he or his manager are bloody good negotiators.


Two sides of the negotiation.
I'm not convinced this outcome is because Hinkley's side is good at it...
Danny Southern telling Plugga he's fat, I'd like to see that!
User avatar
Trader
Veteran
 
Posts: 3878
Joined: Mon May 24, 2010 1:19 pm
Has liked: 45 times
Been liked: 685 times

Re: Port Adelaide 2022

Postby whufc » Wed Apr 06, 2022 1:04 pm

Lightning McQueen wrote:
whufc wrote:Agree its not the worst 0-3 you've ever seen if that makes sense, there are some positives. The worry if I was a Port supporter would be:

-Lycett struggling, is Hayes read to go??
-Rozee is walking a fine line of being one of those players who perform when the going is easy but doesn't have the heart or strength to get into a game when its tough
-Duursma will his body ever hold up, now has had a signigicant contact injury and has also had a significant structural injury last season. Is only 21 gut feel tells me his body just isn't ready for the total demands of AFL. Hopefully this changes when he matures but is a big IF.
-Its evident how important Aliir and Dixon are to the side. How do you replace them or how do Port hold on until they come back. This will test Hinkley coaching adaptability

Lycett was excellent Friday night, and against a good opponent.


Fair enough, I missed most of Friday only saw highlights due to own football game. I was just going off last week when many Port fans were calling for Lycett to be replaced.
RIP PH408 63notoutforever
User avatar
whufc
Coach
 
 
Posts: 24709
Joined: Tue Aug 01, 2006 10:56 am
Location: Blakeview
Has liked: 4619 times
Been liked: 2032 times
Grassroots Team: BSR

Re: Port Adelaide 2022

Postby Booney » Wed Apr 06, 2022 1:18 pm

@Trader, I summed the last two years up to a mate on the weekend.

It takes a coaching and playing group 8 months to get to a prelim final, it takes 2 hours for a coaching and playing group to lose a prelim.

Ultimately our record against the top 4 in the last 2 years can be seen as either Hinkley (and the assistants) inability to beat the best or our list isn't good enough and we're where we should be. Our record suggests a bit of both. The plan clearly works, we've been excellent defensively and get more than enough inside 50's. That suggests good coaching, good structures. We don't capitalize on those entries though. That to me suggests we're not good enough, particularly forward of the ball.

Either way he's had his turn and I'm grateful where he's got us, along with list management, as I think our group of under 26 year olds will hold the next coach in good stead.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
User avatar
Booney
Coach
 
 
Posts: 53969
Joined: Thu Oct 27, 2005 1:47 pm
Location: Alberton proud
Has liked: 6375 times
Been liked: 9450 times

Re: Port Adelaide 2022

Postby Vamos » Wed Apr 06, 2022 1:21 pm

That's some serious quoting skills Trader =D>
Whoops, there goes another year. Whoops, there goes another pint of beer.
Vamos
Reserves
 
Posts: 872
Joined: Sat Aug 28, 2021 12:55 am
Has liked: 89 times
Been liked: 129 times
Grassroots Team: North Haven

Re: Port Adelaide 2022

Postby Booney » Wed Apr 06, 2022 1:29 pm

Trader wrote:But the thing is, we never really know how good a coach actually is.
If a coach does well and wins a flag, is that cause he's a good coach, or cause he got handed a team on a silver platter (Chris Scott).
If a team bottoms out, is that cause the coach lost the players, or was his squad never any good?
If a team makes a prelim, is that cause the coach was good, or cause covid lead to a favourable draw and home fixtures?


There's more coaches with "What if?" over their heads than "Premiership coach", I think Hinkley will be a "What if?".
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
User avatar
Booney
Coach
 
 
Posts: 53969
Joined: Thu Oct 27, 2005 1:47 pm
Location: Alberton proud
Has liked: 6375 times
Been liked: 9450 times

Re: Port Adelaide 2022

Postby Trader » Wed Apr 06, 2022 1:40 pm

Booney wrote:The plan clearly works, we've been excellent defensively and get more than enough inside 50's. That suggests good coaching, good structures. We don't capitalize on those entries though. That to me suggests we're not good enough, particularly forward of the ball.


I guess it depends on what your criteria for success are, and therefore how you judge what does or doesn't 'work'.

The Hinkley game plan works in terms of beating up on sides below us. It works in terms of maintaining a level of competitiveness and being around the mark come mid-september.

It fails time and time again against the top end of town.

As a club that prints 'we exist to win premierships' on the inside of our jumpers, to me that means the output of the footy department needs to be judged on that stat. Hinkley has seen us fail 10 years in a row.

You mention we fail to capitalise on entries and that we aren't good enough forward of the ball. I agree, I posted about it in 2019.

Wed May 15, 2019 1:01 pm
viewtopic.php?f=11&t=42460&p=2354530&hilit=+ken#p2354530
Trader wrote:Not only are we in the bottom 6 for retaining the ball when we go inside 50, we rank 16th of 18 for converting shots on goal. That is to say, on the odd chance we actually keep the ball and kick a score, it's likely to be a miss given how wide we are in the pockets.

It's a terrible game plan. I hate it.


The fact that 4 seasons on we are hearing similar reviews post match....

mots02 wrote:Round 2 was a bit of a stinker on lots of levels against the Hawks, but kicking straighter might have kept you in the game longer.
Round 3 [b]you kick straighter[/b] and Dawsons kick after the siren makes no difference.


Ken hasn't addressed what is a major issue in our game, and has been for many many seasons.

Booney wrote:
Trader wrote:But the thing is, we never really know how good a coach actually is.
If a coach does well and wins a flag, is that cause he's a good coach, or cause he got handed a team on a silver platter (Chris Scott).
If a team bottoms out, is that cause the coach lost the players, or was his squad never any good?
If a team makes a prelim, is that cause the coach was good, or cause covid lead to a favourable draw and home fixtures?


There's more coaches with "What if?" over their heads than "Premiership coach", I think Hinkley will be a "What if?".


What if a few things went in Ken's favour? Or What if we played 2020 and 2021 without Ken?

Don't get me started on the way he let Bailey Smith run around without an opponent in that prelim last year....

We agree, its time for Ken to move on, but you are a much nicer person than me! You're sending him off with thanks, im sending him off with a good riddance!
Danny Southern telling Plugga he's fat, I'd like to see that!
User avatar
Trader
Veteran
 
Posts: 3878
Joined: Mon May 24, 2010 1:19 pm
Has liked: 45 times
Been liked: 685 times

Re: Port Adelaide 2022

Postby Rik E Boy » Wed Apr 06, 2022 1:41 pm

LaughingKookaburra wrote:It’s amazing how things change so quickly in footy. Literally 3 games ago we were talking about Port Adelaide heading in to a Grand Final and now all of a sudden the coach is under pressure to keep his job. Admittedly 2 of those losses were daggers to the heart but if you want to be ultra critical I still ultimately think 2020 when they were top for the whole minor round and missed a GF with a home prelim was the biggest missed opportunity. They’ll belt Adelaide this week and it’ll keep at least some of the wolves at bay for now.


Haven't been able to beat the top sides for years and can't win at home. You might have been talking about Port as a Grand Finalist but not me.

regards,

REB
Piglet Shield Premiers 2013 2021 -Join the Hogg Group code: 623573
User avatar
Rik E Boy
Coach
 
 
Posts: 27450
Joined: Thu Oct 27, 2005 12:55 pm
Location: The Switch
Has liked: 1473 times
Been liked: 1669 times

Re: Port Adelaide 2022

Postby Dutchy » Wed Apr 06, 2022 1:55 pm

Im not a fan of Ken, but sacking him in early April is crazy talk, if he lost 3 games straight in June after a good start to the year would there be the same talk? If Port did it now or in the next month it would be a panic move.

Did laugh at Kochie yesterday though "we have the financial resources to do anything we want to do"
User avatar
Dutchy
Site Admin
 
 
Posts: 42552
Joined: Sat Nov 05, 2005 8:24 am
Location: Location, Location
Has liked: 1875 times
Been liked: 2856 times

Re: Port Adelaide 2022

Postby Lightning McQueen » Wed Apr 06, 2022 2:21 pm

Vamos wrote:That's some serious quoting skills Trader =D>

He's the human desktop calendar.
HOGG SHIELD DIVISION V WINNER 2018.
User avatar
Lightning McQueen
Coach
 
Posts: 47773
Joined: Mon Mar 03, 2008 9:43 am
Location: Radiator Springs
Has liked: 3903 times
Been liked: 6873 times

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  AFL

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest