2022 AFL Season

Talk on the national game

Re: 2022 AFL Season

Postby whufc » Mon Apr 11, 2022 11:49 am

MW wrote:
Booney wrote:
MW wrote:
Booney wrote:Re sub, heard someone say if team A activates their sub through injury team B can then activate theirs any time they like. Don't mind that.

What if team A subs through injury subbing their best player for player 23, yet team B can choose anyone they want to sub after that to suit the game itself? Too much of an advantage to team B.

Huh? You can't have 7 blokes sitting there waiting to come on. You both name your sub before the game.

I meant team B can choose anyone in the 21 to sub off which can be based on form not injury

Agree.

Having one team be forced to make a substitution whilst the other gets to make a tactical sub because of the bad luck of the other team is equally as big an advantage as we are currently seeing.
RIP PH408 63notoutforever
whufc
Coach

Has liked: 5551 times
Been liked: 2513 times
Grassroots Team: BSR

Postby MW » Mon Apr 11, 2022 11:49 am

Lightning McQueen wrote:
MW wrote:I meant team B can choose anyone in the 21 to sub off which can be based on form not injury

Play 23 or 24 and be done with it.

Agree
MW
Coach

Has liked: 2567 times
Been liked: 1811 times

Postby Booney » Tue Apr 12, 2022 10:44 am

Gil McLachlan set to announce he's stepping down as AFL CEO at the end of the year.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7450 times
Been liked: 10717 times

Postby Spargo » Tue Apr 12, 2022 11:12 am

Booney wrote:Gil McLachlan set to announce he's stepping down as AFL CEO at the end of the year.

I’m hearing August.
2017 safooty NFL tipping champ

Don’t lose your grip on the dreams of the past
You must fight just to keep them alive...
Spargo
Coach

Has liked: 5440 times
Been liked: 5079 times
Grassroots Team: Sacred Heart OC

Postby mots02 » Tue Apr 12, 2022 11:18 am

I'm assuming his successor will be someone from this forum with the bevvy of experts it has as its members.

Who's your prediction and why?
mots02
League - Top 5

Has liked: 134 times
Been liked: 845 times
Grassroots Team: Reynella

Postby Jim05 » Tue Apr 12, 2022 11:19 am

Good riddance to the tosser
Jim05
Coach

Has liked: 1125 times
Been liked: 3533 times
Grassroots Team: South Gawler

Postby Booney » Tue Apr 12, 2022 11:22 am

Jim05 wrote:Good riddance to the tosser

You're normally glass half full mate, surprised by this.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby Jim05 » Tue Apr 12, 2022 11:26 am

Booney wrote:

His stance on Tasmania whilst licking the freckles of GWS and GC is a disgrace and I’m not a fan of what he has turned the comp into
Jim05
Coach

Postby Booney » Tue Apr 12, 2022 11:36 am

Jim05 wrote:
Booney wrote:

His stance on Tasmania whilst licking the freckles of GWS and GC is a disgrace and I’m not a fan of what he has turned the comp into

Still reeling.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby Lightning McQueen » Tue Apr 12, 2022 11:49 am

Booney wrote:Gil McLachlan set to announce he's stepping down as AFL CEO at the end of the year.

Poor prick has been knee deep in the poopla for the last few years for reasons beyond his control.

The way the AFL still managed to get pretty much full seasons out over the past 2 years was ingenious, we got to experience premiership matches on a Tuesday night, it gave us many more ways to blow SGM's throughout the week instead of bumming out by one leg only on weeknds.
HOGG SHIELD DIVISION V WINNER 2018.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Has liked: 4336 times
Been liked: 7884 times

Postby gadj1976 » Tue Apr 12, 2022 3:13 pm

Jim05 wrote:
Booney wrote:

To be fair that ship had sailed by the time he took over. But I agree, I haven't liked the previous few years beforehand and what has happened to the game (see P Ryder's suspension as my point in an nutshell).
gadj1976
Coach

Has liked: 792 times
Been liked: 841 times

Postby Booney » Tue Apr 12, 2022 3:17 pm

gadj1976 wrote:
Jim05 wrote:
Booney wrote:

To be fair that ship had sailed by the time he took over. But I agree, I haven't liked the previous few years beforehand and what has happened to the game (see P Ryder's suspension as my point in an nutshell).

Ryders suspension* is part of something much bigger than Gil's ego, doctors ( rightly ) and lawyers ( not so rightly ) are protecting players from concussion at almost any cost, that can't be anything but good. The manner they're trying to control it can be questioned, the motives can't, IMO.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby DOC » Tue Apr 12, 2022 7:11 pm

Lets hope it's someone who won't have the games rules changed every time there is a bad decision, supports Tasmania's entry and gets rid of GWS and the Gold Coast, has some respect for the other levels of football and recognises that a 64 times pay differential between the first and second tiers is narrowed, stops employing over 700 people 295 of which are designated managers, puts some money into SA and WA instead of the bottomless pits in Qld and NSW, does not have his/her pay linked to attendances so that the draw can have some form of balance and fairness, gets rid of game ruining score reviews, protected zone, stand, 666, clash guernseys, umpires in pink, green, yellow and orange, mid season drafts, lowers entry prices and has the sense to remember that if you purport to be a custodian of the game then you actually are.

So to answer your question Mots02, I nominate Armchair Expert as it will get him off here.
DOC
Coach

Has liked: 720 times
Been liked: 2071 times

Postby gadj1976 » Fri Apr 15, 2022 9:37 pm

Hold on a minute....

So, North Melbourne are fighting to keep the Good Friday game because of their results (apparently - as Ralphy states at half time of the WCE Sydney game).

The AFL has spent 500 million at least on long term projects like GWS and the Gold Coast but keep preaching patience and "long term project". But when something instantaneously goes wrong or isn't a good look it gets reviewed at seasons end and there is a veiled threat that they'll lose the game that they've fought for, for many, many years.

What a crap organisation.
gadj1976
Coach

Has liked: 792 times
Been liked: 841 times

Postby woodublieve12 » Fri Apr 15, 2022 9:41 pm

gadj1976 wrote:Hold on a minute....

So, North Melbourne are fighting to keep the Good Friday game because of their results (apparently - as Ralphy states at half time of the WCE Sydney game).

The AFL has spent 500 million at least on long term projects like GWS and the Gold Coast but keep preaching patience and "long term project". But when something instantaneously goes wrong or isn't a good look it gets reviewed at seasons end and there is a veiled threat that they'll lose the game that they've fought for, for many, many years.

If they can continue to play Carlton for the season opener they can let north have this game
"Fellas, it’s OK to be in pain. It’s OK to hurt. It’s OK to be sad. It’s no longer OK to suffer in silence."
woodublieve12
Coach

Has liked: 3012 times
Been liked: 2382 times

Postby Vamos » Fri Apr 15, 2022 9:48 pm

woodublieve12 wrote:

If they can continue to play Carlton for the season opener they can let north have this game

Ouch!

Why does it have to be a Vic club. The showdown is the biggest rivalry in the comp and has a high success rate of producing good games.
Whoops, there goes another year. Whoops, there goes another pint of beer.
Vamos
League - Top 5

Has liked: 333 times
Been liked: 442 times
Grassroots Team: Port District

Postby Jim05 » Fri Apr 15, 2022 9:55 pm

Vamos wrote:
woodublieve12 wrote:

Ouch!

Why does it have to be a Vic club. The showdown is the biggest rivalry in the comp and has a high success rate of producing good games.
Good Friday football was only allowed after a agreement with the Good Friday appeal which was a institution in Melbourne. Money raised from the day goes to the Children’s Hospital in Melbourne
Jim05
Coach

Postby Vamos » Fri Apr 15, 2022 10:24 pm

Yeah ok, didn’t know that.
Whoops, there goes another year. Whoops, there goes another pint of beer.
Vamos
League - Top 5

Has liked: 333 times
Been liked: 442 times
Grassroots Team: Port District

Postby Spargo » Sat Apr 16, 2022 10:52 am

Jim05 wrote:
Vamos wrote:
woodublieve12 wrote:

Ouch!

Good Friday football was only allowed after a agreement with the Good Friday appeal which was a institution in Melbourne. Money raised from the day goes to the Children’s Hospital in Melbourne

This goes back to the 80’s when it was first proposed to the league by North Melbourne & Carlton.
2017 safooty NFL tipping champ

Don’t lose your grip on the dreams of the past
You must fight just to keep them alive...
Spargo
Coach

Has liked: 5440 times
Been liked: 5079 times
Grassroots Team: Sacred Heart OC

Postby Lightning McQueen » Tue Apr 19, 2022 10:28 am

Without being disrespectful to anyone and it's hard to throw stones when your own team is sitting dead motherless but geez there's a lot more shit teams this year than most other years.

Melbourne are clearly the best team by a long shot, and they have depth, something tha most teams are lacking severely.

Freo are sitting 2nd top, WTF? They don't even have Nat playing.
Lions 3rd, that's about right but they only just snuck over the line against Collingwood at home who got beaten by the West Coast Tradies in Melbourne.
Saints are 4th, we thought they had come of age last year but they continue to let us know they can lose when we least expect it, but 4th to 8th is about right for them.
Sydney and Carlton round out 5th and 6th, both 4 and 1, I rate Carlton's list but I've putted on these greens before, they find new ways to let their supporters down and they need to do more than nearly squander a 50 point lead against the winless bottom side for me to think they are genuine threat. Sydney on the other hand were super impressive last season with a bunch of no names stepping up to the plate and now continuing to do so with a few more games under their belt,, not a great team but one that's willing to work for each other and better than at least a dozen others.
Geelong? Where are they in the scheme of things? They have some outright champions of the game, they can beat anyone on their day but can deliver some poop too.
Hawthorn are in the 8 and playing out of their skins, just a bunch of kids having a red hot crack, a lot like the crows and both will push the 8 in the next two to three years.
Collingwood are all over the place, they are fortunate to have a few absolute stars to keep them afloat, I thought deGoey got stood down after his filming of Hangover IV, the dude is brilliant to watch though, and on the field.
I expect the Dogs to hit their straps now, they are the 2nd best side in the comp IMO.
Richmond are in a rebuild, we won't see Dusty again this season, I just hope he finds himself again and the passion to play returns.
Gold Coast are doing Gold Coast things, they'll look a million dollars early and then drop off when the depth matters and the going gets tough, I always hold out hope for them and would like to see them make the finals, they have some players that are very likeable.
Giants have a decent list but have a coach that wouldn't be able to teach a dog to lick it's balls.
The Bombers will do their usual, start off slow then fizzle out.
West Coast I have no words for and the Roos are playing as bad as their song.
And then there's my mob, I've got to host our corporate box this week and if we don't win this one I'm not sure that I'll be using the elevator to get to the ground floor after the match.

Revised EOS table:
Melbourne

Dogs
Lions

Sydney
Saints
Geelong

Freo
Carlton
HOGG SHIELD DIVISION V WINNER 2018.
Lightning McQueen
Coach