Postby field of dreams » Sun Apr 10, 2022 10:13 am

jackpot jim wrote:
bluebagger wrote:Not a great day for the Tigers
A & B Grade combined scores
4:2 to 57:26

It’s a long way back.
If at all

Some concerning scorelines in Round 2
Not good seeing floggings so early in the season.
Looks a long season ahead for Yank and Gwa/PE. Could also be for the Creeks as well if they dont start getting some of their experienced players back after the Easter break.
What’s the issue(s) at creek JJ? Covid got a hold?

Edit: I just watched 3/4 of bays/creek. Creek were very competitive till 1/2 time, good in the second in fact. Then bays ran all over them

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
field of dreams
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 126 times
Been liked: 78 times

Re: Great Southern Football League

Postby jackpot jim » Sun Apr 10, 2022 7:51 pm

fod

Creeks had only 8 of last years GF team play yesterday. :shock:

Players that did NOT play were

Sellar - Retired ?
Derham - Gone
Lally - Retired
McGregor - Gone
Dalitz - Gone
S Jones - South Adelaide

Matt Tonkin - Injured - few weeks ?
Kellock - Played for his home town in Vic 1st 2 weeks, Back next match
Howell - Covid . Back next match
Arbon - Work. Back next match
Dave Warren - Wedding. Back next match
Rodgers - Injured. Return unknown
James - Played B Grade (recovering from Covid)

Others
Hunt - Injured. Return mid year ???
Nick Thunig - B Grade . Getting match fitness

As you can see by the players missing, thats a MASSIVE amount of talent and experience missing for the opening 2 rounds so not surprised they have struggled. Have taken the chance to blood 4 - 5 youngsters but they will take a year or 2 to get up to speed of A Grade footy. It's a big step up of playing 70 minutes in Senior Colts to 110 - 120 minutes in A Grade.
The 7 - 8 top end players they have atm will only keep you in the game for so long before the dam wall breaks as it did yesterday in the 3rd quarter. Mind you there was no excuse for allowing E Bay to slam on 8 goals in the 3rd term in the 1st 15 minutes with ZERO resistance :oops: :oops: It was embarrassing.
The expected return of 4 - 5 experienced players after Easter should see them much more competitive.
Expectations for the rest of the season? Playing Finals will still be the expectation and they still could but i'm thinking 5th spot at best.
Only 2 rounds in and a long way to go but it almost seems that the local Anzac Day Derby coming up is already a Mini Final for the Hawks.
jackpot jim
Coach

Has liked: 339 times
Been liked: 444 times

Great Southern Football League

Postby field of dreams » Sun Apr 10, 2022 8:28 pm

Thanks JJ. Certainly some big holes.
Good to hear it’s not all covid though as weird as that might sound. Injuries have always affected the game is my thought process I guess.

I’m sure they will play a major role in the season still

field of dreams
League Bench Warmer

Postby Cheap Seats » Mon Apr 11, 2022 8:43 am

jackpot jim wrote:fod

Creeks had only 8 of last years GF team play yesterday. :shock:

Players that did NOT play were

Sellar - Retired ?
Derham - Gone
Lally - Retired
McGregor - Gone
Dalitz - Gone
S Jones - South Adelaide

Matt Tonkin - Injured - few weeks ?
Kellock - Played for his home town in Vic 1st 2 weeks, Back next match
Howell - Covid . Back next match
Arbon - Work. Back next match
Dave Warren - Wedding. Back next match
Rodgers - Injured. Return unknown
James - Played B Grade (recovering from Covid)

Others
Hunt - Injured. Return mid year ???
Nick Thunig - B Grade . Getting match fitness

As you can see by the players missing, thats a MASSIVE amount of talent and experience missing for the opening 2 rounds so not surprised they have struggled. Have taken the chance to blood 4 - 5 youngsters but they will take a year or 2 to get up to speed of A Grade footy. It's a big step up of playing 70 minutes in Senior Colts to 110 - 120 minutes in A Grade.
The 7 - 8 top end players they have atm will only keep you in the game for so long before the dam wall breaks as it did yesterday in the 3rd quarter. Mind you there was no excuse for allowing E Bay to slam on 8 goals in the 3rd term in the 1st 15 minutes with ZERO resistance :oops: :oops: It was embarrassing.
The expected return of 4 - 5 experienced players after Easter should see them much more competitive.
Expectations for the rest of the season? Playing Finals will still be the expectation and they still could but i'm thinking 5th spot at best.
Only 2 rounds in and a long way to go but it almost seems that the local Anzac Day Derby coming up is already a Mini Final for the Hawks.

So going by that there was only really 6 missing from THIS YEARS side Saturday? With a possible 7th to return Mid year. I reckon most sides would be rolling with 3-5 out.
Cheap Seats
Rookie

Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 24 times

Postby field of dreams » Mon Apr 11, 2022 9:22 am

True. Depth is a big key, Victor had 5 out on Saturday from round 1, but the 5 ins were all regular A graders last year and all 5 played well. Still have a couple yet to play this year too.

field of dreams
League Bench Warmer

Postby Yungmuney » Fri Apr 22, 2022 6:58 pm

Tips this week

Roos to beat the bays (Upset of the year) by 11
Compass to smack Goolwa 60+
Willunga to just keep McLaren out by 5pts
Myponga to get it done over yank by 40+
Strath too strong for creek by 5 goals
Yungmuney
Mini-League

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 5 times
Grassroots Team: Aldinga

Postby grasshopper22 » Fri Apr 22, 2022 7:02 pm

Yungmuney wrote:Tips this week

If that happens that’s hardly upset of the year, 2 undefeated sides after two rounds who both missed finals last year.

grasshopper22
Reserves

Has liked: 84 times
Been liked: 23 times

Postby Yungmuney » Fri Apr 22, 2022 7:15 pm

grasshopper22 wrote:

If that happens that’s hardly upset of the year, 2 undefeated sides after two rounds who both missed finals last year.

Sorry forgot to turn my sarcasm tongue in cheek font on
Yungmuney
Mini-League

Been liked: 5 times
Grassroots Team: Aldinga

Postby grasshopper22 » Fri Apr 22, 2022 11:25 pm

Yungmuney wrote:
grasshopper22 wrote:

Sorry forgot to turn my sarcasm tongue in cheek font on
Huge unknown what will happen with selection at clubs this week with Covid, but I’ll have a crack at picking 5 winners.

Bays in a close one (7 points)
Compass by 60 +
Mclaren by 2 goals
Pongy by 60 +
Strath by 3 goals

grasshopper22
Reserves

Has liked: 84 times
Been liked: 23 times

Postby Dutchy » Mon Apr 25, 2022 3:55 pm

Enjoyable night down at Myponga Sat night and a big win to the home team, seem very well structured and ready to climb the ladder.

Dutchy
Site Admin

Has liked: 2311 times
Been liked: 3482 times

Postby bluebagger » Mon Apr 25, 2022 4:41 pm

Dutchy wrote:Enjoyable night down at Myponga Sat night and a big win to the home team, seem very well structured and ready to climb the ladder.
Thoughts on the Tigers ?
bluebagger
Rookie

Has liked: 60 times
Been liked: 11 times

Postby Dutchy » Mon Apr 25, 2022 9:45 pm

bluebagger wrote:
Dutchy wrote:Enjoyable night down at Myponga Sat night and a big win to the home team, seem very well structured and ready to climb the ladder.
Thoughts on the Tigers ?

Could hardly get the ball in their hands to be honest, and when they did they gave it back pretty quickly, hard to tell what their game plan is
Dutchy
Site Admin

Has liked: 2311 times
Been liked: 3482 times

Postby jackpot jim » Mon Apr 25, 2022 11:20 pm

Some interesting results in Round 3 :?

Bays reasonably comfortable over Victor by 29 points
Compass easily over the Magpies as expected by 83 points
Myp/Sell had a training run over Yank to the tune of 102 points

In what many believe as the Grand Final preview, McLaren flexed their muscle by smashing the Demons by 58 points and have certainly made a statement.

Creeks who in the 1st 2 Rounds looked anything like a team that had played in the previous 4 Grand Finals welcomed back 6 Premiership players and that certainly made a big difference as they hammered Strath in the 2nd half to run out 53 point winners as Strath were left to lick their wounds with a few injuries and also Riley Clamp being Red Carded. Incident happened at the 2.14 hr mark of the telecast just seconds before 3/4 time. Looking at the replay there doesn't seem to be much in it as Kellock who was the Creek player that got put to ground got up and walked away as if there was nothing in it whilst a few other players took it a bit further with a brief scuffle.
Red Card is off for the match and an automatic report i'm guessing ? Hard to getting games going on the vision.

3 great games on paper next week between
Bays v Myp/Sell
Compass v Creeks
Strath v Victor

whilst there appers to be 2 blowout results on the cards with Willunga & McLaren expected to do a number on Yank and Gool/PE respectively.
jackpot jim
Coach

Has liked: 339 times
Been liked: 444 times

Postby oldbomber » Tue Apr 26, 2022 10:26 am

Yeah was a very even, fast paced, exciting and action packed game last night at the creek until umpires got way way too involved. Watch the 3rd quarter on murraylands fltv stream if you want to see how not to officiate a game. They are on fantastic money and needed to do way better. Might need a couple of weeks in b grade after that performance

Several times the game was paused for yellow cards from both sides and then major delays over who had the ball, whether it was a free kick and or 50m and where was it before resuming play. The umpires became way too card happy for minor scuffles where no punches were thrown at any stage, had no idea what they were doing at times and almost lost control of game. GSFL Officials on the ground trying to keep spectators off ground at 3q time huddles worried things were completly going to boil over. It was a complete farce.

The red card for a tackle was laughable and player and umpire atleast appeared to be chatting respectfully back and forth all the way to the bench so unlikely there was any abuse or dissent either. Surely doesnt go to tribuneral for a tackle with no injury but who knows in this day and age.

To both sides credit they got on with it in last quarter and creeks better side running away with it. Great night at the footy overall be interesting to see what unfolds during the week.
oldbomber
Rookie

Has liked: 41 times
Been liked: 33 times

Postby damian » Tue Apr 26, 2022 10:35 am

New flag favourite after round three?

McLaren did a job on Willunga. The Dees, although they had a good team on the park were still missing plenty. A McLaren v Willunga GF would be a real buzz. I’ve got them finishing 1 & 2 on the ladder.

Creeks have come good with the return of top end talent. They’ll join the fight for finals. Throw a blanket over Pongy, Bays, Compass & Creeks for 3rd-6th with Victor & Strath not far behind.

Special mention to Pongy, they’ve lost one game as a Club so far (A Grade to McLaren). Their Junior Colts & Reserves are my premiership favourite, Senior Colts (also undefeated) are in a real battle with three other Clubs right now for top spot. We know junior grades are often swings and roundabouts but the stars seem to be aligning in 2022 for the Mudlarks while in the seniors, it’s 4-5yrs of hard work that has got them looking towards finals in the A’s and potentially another Ressies flag.
"Start by doing what's necessary; then what's possible; and suddenly you are doing the impossible."
damian
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 38 times
Been liked: 28 times
Grassroots Team: Goolwa-Port Elliott

Postby cracka » Tue Apr 26, 2022 11:08 am

oldbomber wrote:Yeah was a very even, fast paced, exciting and action packed game last night at the creek until umpires got way way too involved. Watch the 3rd quarter on murraylands fltv stream if you want to see how not to officiate a game. They are on fantastic money and needed to do way better. Might need a couple of weeks in b grade after that performance

Several times the game was paused for yellow cards from both sides and then major delays over who had the ball, whether it was a free kick and or 50m and where was it before resuming play. The umpires became way too card happy for minor scuffles where no punches were thrown at any stage, had no idea what they were doing at times and almost lost control of game. GSFL Officials on the ground trying to keep spectators off ground at 3q time huddles worried things were completly going to boil over. It was a complete farce.

The red card for a tackle was laughable and player and umpire atleast appeared to be chatting respectfully back and forth all the way to the bench so unlikely there was any abuse or dissent either. Surely doesnt go to tribuneral for a tackle with no injury but who knows in this day and age.

To both sides credit they got on with it in last quarter and creeks better side running away with it. Great night at the footy overall be interesting to see what unfolds during the week.

Watched the live Stream & it seemed one umpire was trigger happy with the cards. Unless he saw something close up that we couldn't, I would have thought free kicks at best.
cracka
Veteran

Has liked: 458 times
Been liked: 560 times
Grassroots Team: Onkaparinga Valley

Postby DoublebluTiger » Tue Apr 26, 2022 4:20 pm

Will be interesting to see what sort of footy coverage occurs in the new newspaper 'The Fleurieu Sun'. Country Press SA aligned. Same as EP Advocate and the Plains Producer among others they run. I see Michael Simmons has left the Times to join them. Starts mid may?
Success is in trying
DoublebluTiger
Under 16s

Been liked: 50 times

Postby damian » Tue Apr 26, 2022 6:01 pm

DoublebluTiger wrote:Will be interesting to see what sort of footy coverage occurs in the new newspaper 'The Fleurieu Sun'. Country Press SA aligned. Same as EP Advocate and the Plains Producer among others they run. I see Michael Simmons has left the Times to join them. Starts mid may?

Can’t be as bad as The Times coverage of the GSFL in recent years. The Southern Argus has decent coverage, unfortunate it’s a Strath paper and littered with a million photos of the Roosters & Hawks, but nonetheless, worth buying!
"Start by doing what's necessary; then what's possible; and suddenly you are doing the impossible."
damian
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 38 times
Been liked: 28 times
Grassroots Team: Goolwa-Port Elliott

Postby Cheap Seats » Wed Apr 27, 2022 9:57 am

Umpiring standard has been not great across the league. It's an issue for every comp at every level. Problem is, there is not enough of them to be picky, and they are doing their best.
I think there are some real issues with favouritism which is a bigger concern (some players and teams seem to get a great run, and perhaps the opposite, other players being singled out before a ball is bounced who don't get much). We all understand the umpires are human, but there are obvious relationships that have grown, positive and negative and they need to leave those at the line.

As far as Strath player would miss one week minimum.
Cheap Seats
Rookie

Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 24 times

Postby shoe boy » Wed Apr 27, 2022 10:53 am

Cheap Seats wrote:Umpiring standard has been not great across the league. It's an issue for every comp at every level. Problem is, there is not enough of them to be picky, and they are doing their best.
I think there are some real issues with favouritism which is a bigger concern (some players and teams seem to get a great run, and perhaps the opposite, other players being singled out before a ball is bounced who don't get much). We all understand the umpires are human, but there are obvious relationships that have grown, positive and negative and they need to leave those at the line.

As far as Strath player would miss one week minimum.

Sinister?
shoe boy
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 488 times
Been liked: 209 times

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  Other Footy Leagues  Country Footy