AFLW 2022

Talk on the national game

Re: AFLW 2022

Postby Hector » Fri Mar 04, 2022 12:11 pm

[quote="Brodlach"]I enjoy watching it, they have a red hot dip but I do think scoring is important. People want to see goals scored and I think increased goals means increased credibility.

Agreed. If you look at the comments on any social media post about AFLW, the biggest criticism is blokes having a laugh at the scores. But in the first 50 years of our state league, 10 goals to win the GF occurred only once. So it's going to take time. Even now in the AFL, the criticism for a number of years has been the drop in goal scoring since defensive tactics became the best way to win a game.

I understand the need for an expansion in teams, it makes complete sense for each AFL team to also have an AFLW team. But the cost will be that the talent is diluted. Currently each team has ~30 players in their squad, meaning ~540 players in the competition (from next year). At this stage, I don't think there are 540 players up to the standard. In comparison, there are only 450 players in the NBA. One of the top basketball leagues in the world with a population 10+ times that of Australia plus a desired league for all players world wide with about half the players of the AFL. Only the best of the best make it.

In 10 years there probably will be the talent. As mentioned above, footys are carried from a young age and it all becomes second nature (think Erin Phillips - no coincidence she grew up around footy and is arguably the GOAT of AFLW). So it's a long term venture but you need to start somewhere. And the introduction of AFLW has been the best thing for footy as a whole in a long long time.
Hector
Rookie

Has liked: 30 times
Been liked: 31 times

Postby mal » Sun Mar 06, 2022 10:05 pm

I watch a fair bit of AFLW
I'm impressed by the tenacity and courage of the girls
One skill Ive noticed is how the girls can accelerate of a step and tackle their opponents

Melbourne are very good side to watch
Daisy Pearce and Tayla Harris are an awesome forward combination
Taylas marking is amazing

Looking forward to seeing an Adelaide V Melbourne Grand Final
mal
Coach

Has liked: 1138 times
Been liked: 892 times

Postby carey » Thu Mar 10, 2022 8:49 am

carey wrote:It’s a Crows v Melbourne GF for mine.

The only 2 sides that can have fluent link up play with actual drop punts with a level of skill.

Agreed Mal ;)
you've gota keep on keep'n on .........
carey
Coach

Has liked: 2796 times
Been liked: 2985 times
Grassroots Team: Paralowie

Postby carey » Tue Apr 05, 2022 9:14 pm

carey wrote:It’s a Crows v Melbourne GF for mine.

The only 2 sides that can have fluent link up play with actual drop punts with a level of skill.

Genius.

:D
you've gota keep on keep'n on .........
carey
Coach

Has liked: 2796 times
Been liked: 2985 times
Grassroots Team: Paralowie

Postby amber_fluid » Sat Apr 09, 2022 2:13 pm

Watching the game, is there no HTB in Women’s footy?
Seen about 10 in 5 minutes not paid
There are no stupid questions, just stupid people.
amber_fluid
Coach

Has liked: 2217 times
Been liked: 2508 times

Postby MW » Sat Apr 09, 2022 2:18 pm

Inside 50s kicking straight to Melbourne
MW
Coach

Has liked: 2581 times
Been liked: 1822 times

Postby mal » Sat Apr 09, 2022 11:16 pm

mal wrote:I watch a fair bit of AFLW
I'm impressed by the tenacity and courage of the girls
One skill Ive noticed is how the girls can accelerate of a step and tackle their opponents

Melbourne are very good side to watch
Daisy Pearce and Tayla Harris are an awesome forward combination
Taylas marking is amazing

Looking forward to seeing an Adelaide V Melbourne Grand Final

I havent lost it
I'm still great with women

AC 4-5 =D>
ML 2-4
mal
Coach

Has liked: 1138 times
Been liked: 892 times

Postby Columbo » Sun Apr 10, 2022 12:09 am

amber_fluid wrote:Watching the game, is there no HTB in Women’s footy?
Seen about 10 in 5 minutes not paid

Watched the whole game and wondered the same thing, compared to what you see in AFL and SANFL games there were some shocking non calls both ways today, then they would randomly pay one or two. HTB seemed to be very hit and miss, as was incorrect disposal and in the back.

The intensity of the game in the second half was fantastic, sure the scores were low but they only play 15 min quarters with 16 on the ground so its not really going to lend itself to 10-15 goal games.
Trust the process.
Columbo
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 10 times
Been liked: 29 times

Postby Armchair expert » Wed Apr 13, 2022 8:15 pm

What a great competition where the johnny come lately clubs can pillage the existing clubs star players and the existing clubs receiving inequitable compensation if any. Oh the new teams get to pilfer through through the new talent before the draft.

Great job Gil!
Dave Warner will be missed!
Armchair expert
Coach

Has liked: 379 times
Been liked: 1414 times
Grassroots Team: Ports

Postby gadj1976 » Wed Apr 13, 2022 9:00 pm

Armchair expert wrote:What a great competition where the johnny come lately clubs can pillage the existing clubs star players and the existing clubs receiving inequitable compensation if any. Oh the new teams get to pilfer through through the new talent before the draft.

Great job Gil!

Yep, the Blues lose two of their best for what? Nada (as far as I can tell).
gadj1976
Coach

Has liked: 795 times
Been liked: 849 times

Postby MW » Thu Apr 21, 2022 2:39 pm

Hatchard turns her back on Port and re-signs with Crows
MW
Coach

Has liked: 2581 times
Been liked: 1822 times

Postby Brodlach » Wed Apr 27, 2022 9:03 am

Erin Phillips announced she will join Port.

I really rate that and wish her well

I don’t think any Adelaide fan would begrudge her finishing at Port
July 11th 2012....
Brodlach wrote:Rory Laird might end up the best IMO, he is an absolute jet. He has been in great form at the Bloods
Brodlach
Coach

Has liked: 72 times
Been liked: 4206 times
Grassroots Team: Colonel Light Gardens

Postby Booney » Wed Apr 27, 2022 9:33 am

Home coming was always happening.

I believe there will be an off court role with the West Adelaide Bear Cats who will call the Alberton Redevelopment home as well.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7467 times
Been liked: 10755 times

Postby Dutchy » Wed Apr 27, 2022 10:03 am

MW wrote:Hatchard turns her back on Port and re-signs with Crows

TBH its probably a good thing for the Crows as well, frees up a lot of $ and can invest in their future without her.

Reading the 2 club articles made me laugh -

Port - The 36yo....
Adelaide - Turning 37 next month...
Dutchy
Site Admin

Has liked: 2311 times
Been liked: 3482 times

Postby stan » Wed Apr 27, 2022 10:54 am

Brodlach wrote:Erin Phillips announced she will join Port.

I really rate that and wish her well

I don’t think any Adelaide fan would begrudge her finishing at Port
Go have a look at the sespool that is social media and have a look at a few comments on Facebook in particular.

Whilst I agree most people are wishing her well, there are still some **** whitts out there to say the least.
Read my reply. It is directed at you because you have double standards
stan
Coach

Has liked: 88 times
Been liked: 1253 times
Grassroots Team: Goodwood Saints

Postby Booney » Wed Apr 27, 2022 10:58 am

Adelaide said she's exploring her options with an "expansion club", the f*ckwits are running with that as a dig at Port when it's a sign of respect to Phillips. It's not Adelaide's announcement to make, its for Port and Phillips to announce and by allowing that to happen Adelaide show Phillips the respect she well earned with them.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby Brodlach » Wed Apr 27, 2022 11:01 am

Booney wrote:Adelaide said she's exploring her options with an "expansion club", the f*ckwits are running with that as a dig at Port when it's a sign of respect to Phillips. It's not Adelaide's announcement to make, its for Port and Phillips to announce and by allowing that to happen Adelaide show Phillips the respect she well earned with them.

Like this one?

Absolutely agree it wasn’t Adelaide’s “right” to announce where she was going
July 11th 2012....
Brodlach wrote:Rory Laird might end up the best IMO, he is an absolute jet. He has been in great form at the Bloods
Brodlach
Coach

Has liked: 72 times
Been liked: 4206 times
Grassroots Team: Colonel Light Gardens

Postby Booney » Wed Apr 27, 2022 11:05 am

Yep, missed the mark there.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby whufc » Wed Apr 27, 2022 12:22 pm

Booney wrote:Adelaide said she's exploring her options with an "expansion club", the f*ckwits are running with that as a dig at Port when it's a sign of respect to Phillips. It's not Adelaide's announcement to make, its for Port and Phillips to announce and by allowing that to happen Adelaide show Phillips the respect she well earned with them.

Yeah nah its 100% Crows announcement to make that their losing a player as it is equally Ports announcement to make once they have picked up the player.

They are equally losing a star player as much as Port are picking one up. They didn't say where she lands but have kept their members informed they are losing one. As a member of a club I want to be kept as up to date as possible as the Crows have done that in this scenario.

Now that everyone knows she is leaving Port will get to make their big announcement that she is heading there.

Happens every year in the AFL where a player will announce they are leaving a certain club at the end of the year. Then once the new clubs signs them they announce the signing.

Fair play to them....play on.
RIP PH408 63notoutforever
whufc
Coach

Has liked: 5565 times
Been liked: 2519 times
Grassroots Team: BSR

Postby mots02 » Wed Apr 27, 2022 12:49 pm

whufc wrote:

Yeah nah its 100% Crows announcement to make that their losing a player as it is equally Ports announcement to make once they have picked up the player.

They are equally losing a star player as much as Port are picking one up. They didn't say where she lands but have kept their members informed they are losing one. As a member of a club I want to be kept as up to date as possible as the Crows have done that in this scenario.

Now that everyone knows she is leaving Port will get to make their big announcement that she is heading there.

Happens every year in the AFL where a player will announce they are leaving a certain club at the end of the year. Then once the new clubs signs them they announce the signing.

Fair play to them....play on.

Yep agreed, I have no issue with it.

All the Crows have done is keep members / supporters informed that she's leaving.

Didn't name Port in their release, leaving room for Port to make the announcement of where she'll land. (regardless of whether it was obvious or not).
mots02
League - Top 5

Has liked: 134 times
Been liked: 854 times
Grassroots Team: Reynella

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  AFL