Great Southern Football League

Talk on any country footy league or club from the SA Country area

Re: Great Southern Football League

Postby Cheap Seats » Wed Apr 27, 2022 12:53 pm

shoe boy wrote:
Cheap Seats wrote:Umpiring standard has been not great across the league. It's an issue for every comp at every level. Problem is, there is not enough of them to be picky, and they are doing their best.
I think there are some real issues with favouritism which is a bigger concern (some players and teams seem to get a great run, and perhaps the opposite, other players being singled out before a ball is bounced who don't get much). We all understand the umpires are human, but there are obvious relationships that have grown, positive and negative and they need to leave those at the line.

As far as Strath player would miss one week minimum.

Sinister?

I would hope not, and I think much of it is not conscious decision making, (maybe some is) but watching replays and live matches, it becomes very obvious there are some umpires who like to be more involved than they need to be, and certainly immediately after discussions with players, 2-3 free's go against that team almost immediately.
Cheap Seats
Rookie

Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 24 times

Postby Cheap Seats » Wed Apr 27, 2022 11:15 pm

Example A-
Watch at around 2:12:00 of Strath Langhorne game, the Umpire not happy and telling Strath No:16 (Clamp) off on the boundary line after a Creek lad came running in and started the whole altercation, then free is overturned, Creek get the ball, then guess what??? Who gets red carded only 2 minutes later at 2:14:00 No:16 for Strath???

The Strath coach then confronts the Umpire at 3/4 time and actually gets in his way 3 times (which isn't a good look) but you can see the frustration, then watch the same Umpire at 2:26:20, you can actually see him considering "who am I going to pay this to" Creeks! Then at 2:29:25 advantage is paid & taken, a shot missed, goes through the points on the full & they give a down the field in the goal square??? That's just making up the rules as you go? and every decision went Creeks way.
Cheap Seats
Rookie

Postby damian » Thu Apr 28, 2022 12:39 pm

The worst one would have to be the bloke they call BJ. He’s been implementing the over the top dissent rule for over a decade wherever he’s umpired. Full on power trip every time he goes out and is known for being lippy with players himself. Dead set flog.

As for Covid, seems last Saturdays Magpies v Dogs game was a super spreader with a lot of players and staff having tested positive this week sadly.
"Start by doing what's necessary; then what's possible; and suddenly you are doing the impossible."
damian
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 38 times
Been liked: 28 times
Grassroots Team: Goolwa-Port Elliott

Postby Cheap Seats » Fri Apr 29, 2022 10:29 am

No Tribunal results? I assume a couple unavailable this week with the red card being displayed then as red is an automatic report.
Cheap Seats
Rookie

Postby field of dreams » Fri Apr 29, 2022 10:45 am

Cheap Seats wrote:No Tribunal results? I assume a couple unavailable this week with the red card being displayed then as red is an automatic report.
Heard that Clamp being allowed to play until tribunal sits- couldn’t do it this week [emoji2369]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
field of dreams
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 128 times
Been liked: 78 times

Postby jackpot jim » Fri Apr 29, 2022 3:11 pm

damian wrote:
As for Covid, seems last Saturdays Magpies v Dogs game was a super spreader with a lot of players and staff having tested positive this week sadly.

Creeks will be missing at least 3 -4 of their TOP players this week with Covid as well as a couple of others (Injuries,U/A etc)
All played Monday night against Strath so be interesting if they have any missing because of it this week?
Tipping with any confidence has just about become impossible with the uncertainty of player availability week to week whilst Covid. is still around.
jackpot jim
Coach

Has liked: 339 times
Been liked: 448 times

Postby jackpot jim » Fri Apr 29, 2022 3:17 pm

field of dreams wrote:
Cheap Seats wrote:No Tribunal results? I assume a couple unavailable this week with the red card being displayed then as red is an automatic report.
Heard that Clamp being allowed to play until tribunal sits- couldn’t do it this week [emoji2369]

Also heard there was another Strath player that was Reported by one of the Goal Umpires which i heard will be decided upon next week as well :?
jackpot jim
Coach

Postby cracka » Fri Apr 29, 2022 3:44 pm

jackpot jim wrote:
field of dreams wrote:

Also heard there was another Strath player that was Reported by one of the Goal Umpires which i heard will be decided upon next week as well :?

Can the goal umpires report players. Are they league appointed or club umpires
cracka
Veteran

Has liked: 461 times
Been liked: 567 times
Grassroots Team: Onkaparinga Valley

Postby bluebagger » Fri Apr 29, 2022 5:09 pm

field of dreams wrote:

Weak as piss.
bluebagger
Rookie

Has liked: 60 times
Been liked: 11 times

Postby jackpot jim » Fri Apr 29, 2022 5:27 pm

cracka wrote:
jackpot jim wrote:
field of dreams wrote:

Club or Volunteer Goal Umpires certainly can lodge Reports. I've seen it happen before, as was the case Monday night tho i didn't see it, just heard about it last night.
jackpot jim
Coach

Postby damian » Fri Apr 29, 2022 6:59 pm

jackpot jim wrote:
damian wrote:

Creeks will be missing at least 3 -4 of their TOP players this week with Covid as well as a couple of others (Injuries,U/A etc)
All played Monday night against Strath so be interesting if they have any missing because of it this week?
Tipping with any confidence has just about become impossible with the uncertainty of player availability week to week whilst Covid. is still around.

Magpies have forfeited tomorrows Reserves game with 42 (and counting) Covid cases to players and support staff - club doctor and all trainers all infected. The A’s have scrapped together a team with 9 playing their first A Grade game for the season. 16 A Graders unavailable. Very unfortunate.

Not ideal for McLaren either with points being split. At best, McLaren would’ve won the game and done so by 10+ goals. Hopefully it doesn’t end up being the difference in ladder position come finals.
"Start by doing what's necessary; then what's possible; and suddenly you are doing the impossible."
damian
League Bench Warmer

Postby Cheap Seats » Fri Apr 29, 2022 7:00 pm

bluebagger wrote:
field of dreams wrote:

Weak as piss.

You are right Blue, How is that fair on the Team they play this week? Victor isn't it? should be playing a squad with 2 less players available (possibly depending on tribunal outcome) had 5 days for a tribunal to sit before the next weekends games :shock:
Cheap Seats
Rookie

Postby Cheap Seats » Fri Apr 29, 2022 7:02 pm

damian wrote:
jackpot jim wrote:
damian wrote:

Magpies have forfeited tomorrows Reserves game with 42 (and counting) Covid cases to players and support staff - club doctor and all trainers all infected. The A’s have scrapped together a team with 9 playing their first A Grade game for the season. 16 A Graders unavailable. Very unfortunate.

Not ideal for McLaren either with points being split. At best, McLaren would’ve won the game and done so by 10+ goals. Hopefully it doesn’t end up being the difference in ladder position come finals.

Why would the points be split? Forfeit = loss. Forfeit every game and get 9 points probably gets you into finals :lol:
Cheap Seats
Rookie

Postby cracka » Fri Apr 29, 2022 7:39 pm

cracka wrote:
jackpot jim wrote:
field of dreams wrote:

jackpot jim wrote:Club or Volunteer Goal Umpires certainly can lodge Reports. I've seen it happen before, as was the case Monday night tho i didn't see it, just heard about it last night.

Gee, that opens the door for some dodgy reporting.
cracka
Veteran

Postby cracka » Fri Apr 29, 2022 7:42 pm

Don't throws your arm up this weekend boys
Attachments
20220429_180957.jpg
20220429_180957.jpg (206.19 KiB) Viewed 1572 times
cracka
Veteran

Postby damian » Fri Apr 29, 2022 7:51 pm

Cheap Seats wrote:
damian wrote:
jackpot jim wrote:
damian wrote:

Why would the points be split? Forfeit = loss. Forfeit every game and get 9 points probably gets you into finals :lol:

Yep, it’s strange to me. Not the way I would’ve made it work.
damian
League Bench Warmer

Postby grasshopper22 » Fri Apr 29, 2022 8:57 pm

I’m having a crack at tomorrows tips amongst the covid chaos in a number of clubs.

Bays over Pongy 5 goals
Willunga over Yank 20 + goals
Mclaren over Goolwa 30 + goals
Compass over Creeks 2 goals
Victor over Strath by less than a kick

grasshopper22
Reserves

Has liked: 84 times
Been liked: 23 times

Postby damian » Sat Apr 30, 2022 1:05 am

grasshopper22 wrote:I’m having a crack at tomorrows tips amongst the covid chaos in a number of clubs.

Bays over Pongy 5 goals
Willunga over Yank 20 + goals
Mclaren over Goolwa 30 + goals
Compass over Creeks 2 goals
Victor over Strath by less than a kick

My crack;

Pongy over Bays by two goals.
Willunga over Yank by 25+ goals.
McLaren over GPE by 25+ goals.
Compass over Creeks by 5 goals.
Strath over Victor by 5 goals (Clamp best on).
damian
League Bench Warmer

Postby field of dreams » Sat Apr 30, 2022 2:43 am

’m guessing:

Bays over Pongy 4 points
Willunga over Yank by 126 points
Mclaren over Goolwa 156 points
Compass over Creeks 15 points
Victor over Strath by 35 points

field of dreams
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 128 times
Been liked: 78 times

Postby jackpot jim » Sat Apr 30, 2022 1:36 pm

cracka wrote:
jackpot jim wrote:Club or Volunteer Goal Umpires certainly can lodge Reports. I've seen it happen before, as was the case Monday night tho i didn't see it, just heard about it last night.

Gee, that opens the door for some dodgy reporting.

Been that way for as long as i've known. Guessing one could count on 1 hand the number of goal umpire Reports over the decades so has never been a problem and no reason to think it would be going forward.
Thankfully the game is a hell of a lot cleaner than what it was back in the 1970s & 80s an the necessity for Reports generally few and far between.

My Guesses for Rd 4

Bays over Muddies by 20
Will over Yank by 138
McLaren over Magpies by 238 :shock:
Victor over Strath by 16

Unless Compass have a heap out, they'll beat Creeks comfortably who will be missing a stack of talent due to Covid.
Congratulations to the Hawks quiet achiever Damien James who plays his 400th Senior game for the Hawks today and if anyone can inspire them to a win against the odds today, he will.
jackpot jim
Coach

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  Other Footy Leagues  Country Footy