ROUND 6 - North v Glenelg - 100 years at Prospect Oval

All discussions to do with the SANFL

ROUND 6 - North v Glenelg - 100 years at Prospect Oval

Postby Wedgie » Tue May 03, 2022 5:27 pm

SANFL HISTORY RECREATED AS NORTH ADELAIDE CELEBRATES 100 YEARS AT PROSPECT OVAL

South Australian football history will be re-created this weekend when North Adelaide Football Club commemorates its 100th year at Prospect Oval on Sunday, May 8.

Exactly 100 years to the day after North Adelaide hosted Glenelg in the first SANFL League game to be played at Prospect Oval, North will again host the Tigers in Round 6 of the Hostplus SANFL League.

To mark the occasion, North Adelaide will wear heritage jumpers which are replicas of those worn in that first match a century ago in 1922.

North Adelaide Chief Executive Craig Burton said it was only fitting that the club play its 100th anniversary game at Prospect against Glenelg.

“Not only is the first game at Prospect Oval between North Adelaide and Glenelg etched in history, but the rivalry between these sides goes back a long way,” Burton said.

“The legendary grand finals of 1973 and then the 1985, ‘86 and ‘87 Grand Finals will be well remembered by many and show just how competitive these two clubs are when playing against each other in big games.”

North Adelaide entered the South Australian Football Association (now SANFL) in 1888, as the Medindie FC, but changed its name to North Adelaide in 1893. During the period 1888 to 1921, the Club utilised various ovals in the north-east and east of Adelaide as its home ground, but in 1921 finalised negotiations with Prospect Council to have the then-called Prospect Recreation Ground as its permanent home ground.

A grandstand was completed at the oval in March 1922 and was named the Prospect War Memorial Pavilion in memory of those who lost their lives in World War 1, with the club’s first home game for the 1922 season played on May 8 against Glenelg.

The 100th anniversary SANFL match at Prospect Oval is part of the official program for South Australia’s History Festival.
Wedgie
Site Admin

Has liked: 2020 times
Been liked: 3862 times
Grassroots Team: Noarlunga

Re: ROUND 6 - North v Glenelg - 100 years at Prospect Oval

Postby Wedgie » Tue May 03, 2022 5:31 pm

In fantastic news the crafty paddock will be open near the scoreboard again!
Decent beer at the footy again! Good exercise for me too! :D
Wedgie
Site Admin

Postby another grub » Tue May 03, 2022 5:49 pm

Grog Squad will be in full voice
another grub
Coach

Has liked: 431 times
Been liked: 402 times

Postby Aerie » Tue May 03, 2022 6:00 pm

Great for North Adelaide to do this.

West Torrens defeated Sturt in the first ever game at Thebarton Oval on May 6th 1922. I emailed the club last October suggesting if a game could be played at Thebarton Oval to commemorate 100 years. Especially with the Eagles colours atop the nearby brickworks chimney, however, received no reply.
Aerie
Coach

Has liked: 147 times
Been liked: 503 times

Postby Wedgie » Tue May 03, 2022 6:22 pm

Aerie wrote:Great for North Adelaide to do this.

West Torrens defeated Sturt in the first ever game at Thebarton Oval on May 6th 1922. I emailed the club last October suggesting if a game could be played at Thebarton Oval to commemorate 100 years. Especially with the Eagles colours atop the nearby brickworks chimney, however, received no reply.

Not surprising Thebby and Prospect are a similar age, when games were played at Thebby I always thought it had the most similar feel and atmosphere to Prospect. Those 2 along with Norwood would be my favs.
Wedgie
Site Admin

Postby wedgetail » Tue May 03, 2022 8:27 pm

Wedgie wrote:

Not surprising Thebby and Prospect are a similar age, when games were played at Thebby I always thought it had the most similar feel and atmosphere to Prospect. Those 2 along with Norwood would be my favs.

Interestingly, both ovals run SW - NE rather than true N S.
Luck is where opportunity meets preparation
wedgetail
Under 18s

Has liked: 245 times
Been liked: 83 times

Postby wedgetail » Tue May 03, 2022 8:29 pm

Disappointing but staging a SANFL game at Thebby is far too cost prohibitive these days.
Luck is where opportunity meets preparation
wedgetail
Under 18s

Has liked: 245 times
Been liked: 83 times

Postby am Bays » Wed May 04, 2022 6:38 am

Glenelg's have had 100 years at the Bay Oval too, would have been unbroken but in 1991 we played home games at Footy Park.
Let that be a lesson to you Port, no one beats the Bays five times in a row in a GF and gets away with it!!!
am Bays
Coach

Has liked: 162 times
Been liked: 1804 times

Postby Spargo » Wed May 04, 2022 8:45 am

@Wedgie got a pic of the heritage guernsey?
2017 safooty NFL tipping champ

Don’t lose your grip on the dreams of the past
You must fight just to keep them alive...
Spargo
Coach

Has liked: 5454 times
Been liked: 5089 times
Grassroots Team: Sacred Heart OC

Postby whufc » Wed May 04, 2022 8:52 am

am Bays wrote:Glenelg's have had 100 years at the Bay Oval too, would have been unbroken but in 1991 we played home games at Footy Park.

Why was that???
RIP PH408 63notoutforever
whufc
Coach

Has liked: 5564 times
Been liked: 2519 times
Grassroots Team: BSR

Postby Wedgie » Wed May 04, 2022 8:56 am

Spargo wrote:@Wedgie got a pic of the heritage guernsey?

I bought one about 20 years ago, will digit it out later in the day when I get out of bed.

whufc wrote:
am Bays wrote:Glenelg's have had 100 years at the Bay Oval too, would have been unbroken but in 1991 we played home games at Footy Park.

Why was that???

There was an oval reduction policy in the early 90s. Torrens (Footy Pk) and Sturt (Adelaide Oval) did the same.
Was even talk about the Dogs and North sharing an oval which thankfully never happened. North also considered Adelaide Oval and Norwood Oval at various stages but there was a huge backlash.
Wedgie
Site Admin

Postby whufc » Wed May 04, 2022 9:02 am

Wedgie wrote:

I bought one about 20 years ago, will digit it out later in the day when I get out of bed.

whufc wrote:

Why was that???

There was an oval reduction policy in the early 90s. Torrens (Footy Pk) and Sturt (Adelaide Oval) did the same.
Was even talk about the Dogs and North sharing an oval which thankfully never happened. North also considered Adelaide Oval and Norwood Oval at various stages but there was a huge backlash.

There you go. I do recall Sturt playing home games at AO, watching them a fair few times against the Dogs but didn't realise Glenelg also went to AO.

Did South also move there, I recall watching them a fair few times against the Dogs at AO or was that more of just a half way meeting point for those games.
RIP PH408 63notoutforever
whufc
Coach

Has liked: 5564 times
Been liked: 2519 times
Grassroots Team: BSR

Postby Wedgie » Wed May 04, 2022 9:04 am

whufc wrote:
Wedgie wrote:

whufc wrote:

Why was that???

There you go. I do recall Sturt playing home games at AO, watching them a fair few times against the Dogs but didn't realise Glenelg also went to AO.

Did South also move there, I recall watching them a fair few times against the Dogs at AO or was that more of just a half way meeting point for those games.

South played all home games for many years at Adelaide Oval before moving to the Noarlunga in the 90s.
Wedgie
Site Admin

Postby Wedgie » Wed May 04, 2022 9:05 am

Bonus, didn't have to get out of bed, found this online:

images (5).jpeg
images (5).jpeg (44.08 KiB) Viewed 1077 times
Wedgie
Site Admin

Postby Pseudo » Wed May 04, 2022 11:07 am

Kudos to the Roosters for this most brilliant homage to the past.

Brickbats to the SANFL for programming this game with an early start time on Mothers' Day. Will likely have to give this one a miss. :evil:
Clowns OUT. Smears OUT. RESIST THE OCCUPATION.
Pseudo
Coach

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 1553 times
Grassroots Team: Marion

Postby Pseudo » Wed May 04, 2022 11:11 am

Wedgie wrote:

whufc wrote:

Why was that???

IIRC, In Genelg's case the move was not due to oval rationalisation so much as a standoff with Glenelg council over costs of staging matches at Glenelg Oval. The club and council came to terms and the Bays moved back the next year.
Pseudo
Coach

Postby Pseudo » Wed May 04, 2022 11:20 am

Bays and Roosters wore historical guernseys at Prossy almost 20 years ago, some time during Jarman and Nobles tenures as respective coaches. Anyone remember what that was for?

37.jpg
Historical guernseys
37.jpg (62.29 KiB) Viewed 979 times
Pseudo
Coach

Postby Spargo » Wed May 04, 2022 11:33 am

Pseudo wrote:Kudos to the Roosters for this most brilliant homage to the past.

Brickbats to the SANFL for programming this game with an early start time on Mothers' Day. Will likely have to give this one a miss. :evil:

The early start time is ridiculous & lacks any foresight. I probably could’ve made it with a 2:10/2:20 start but 1:10 is a stretch too far on Mother’s Day.
Pity, we love the RSL & the promised curry… @o five
2017 safooty NFL tipping champ

Don’t lose your grip on the dreams of the past
You must fight just to keep them alive...
Spargo
Coach

Has liked: 5454 times
Been liked: 5089 times
Grassroots Team: Sacred Heart OC

Postby Wedgie » Wed May 04, 2022 12:26 pm

Pseudo wrote:Bays and Roosters wore historical guernseys at Prossy almost 20 years ago, some time during Jarman and Nobles tenures as respective coaches. Anyone remember what that was for?

37.jpg

2004 heritage round from memory. The SANFL canned the concept of a heritage round just beforehand but North and Glenelg went ahead with it.
Wedgie
Site Admin

Postby robranisgod » Wed May 04, 2022 2:55 pm

whufc wrote:
Wedgie wrote:

whufc wrote:

Why was that???

South didn't move to Adelaide. It was always their home until 1995.
Up until 1958 it was also West's home other than a few years prior to World War II when they used Wayville as their home ground.
Port used Adelaide in 1975 and 1976 when the Football Club and Council were at loggerheads.
robranisgod
League - Best 21

Has liked: 89 times
Been liked: 224 times
Grassroots Team: Flinders University

Next

Board index   Football  SANFL