Port Adelaide 2022

Talk on the national game

Re: Port Adelaide 2022

Postby Booney » Tue Apr 26, 2022 10:17 am

Well this will be a pleasant change as I can type something up without smashing my key board into oblivion as Port Adelaide register our first win of season 2022 with an 84 point win over the West Coast Eagles. West Coast have more keys missing than a busted piano and Port took full advantage of that with a much needed win and confidence boost in some perfect twilight autumn weather.

The Eagles did snatch the first major of the day, Cripps booting truly just 45 seconds into the contest and a strange yet eerily familiar hush drifted in like a heavy fog over Adelaide Oval. It was an odd moment as utterances of “Here we go again” or “Another Hinkley start” ( I looked intently but couldn’t see Hinkley out there ) filtered around the ground, given less than 1 minute had been played most were prepared to hold out on the despair, others had seen enough in the last month to think it would continue. It did not. Well, not after quarter time anyway. Much like the Port v Melbourne game a fortnight earlier West Coast kept possession of the ball where possible in the first term denying Port access and opportunities to score. One thing that was evident was Port had more intent on pressuring the opposition. 21 tackles at ¼ time ( 75 for the match, we’ve averaged just over 60 so far this year ) suggesting we were at least up for the fight. Georgiades replied to the Cripps major and at ¼ time it was just that, 1 major each and not much else was worth reporting on.

After the first Gatorade break the Port midfield kicked into action. Rozee who had been influential in the second half resurgence against Carlton took control, Wines in his return got going, Drew played his role once again and Boak started to get his hands on it on the back of Hayes taking control in the ruck. In his second AFL game he was up against Luke Strnadica (I can’t say it either) a 24 year old debutant who had previously been on the Fremantle list, he started well taking 2 marks in the opening term as West Coast flicked the ball around ( more marks than Natanui has taken in 3 games I’m told ) but from there on Hayes controlled the air with 47 hit outs to a combined 28 for the Eagles big men and the resulting 16 to 5 centre clearances is where Port won the game. Boak with 5, Rozee with 4 and Houston who is getting more up and down the ground in 2022 with 2. On the back of that dominance Port nail 7 unanswered goals in the second term and the beers at half time were sensational. Expensive, but sensational.

After the main break Finlayson added his second and soon after third and before the end of the term his fourth, Marshall had his third and the big men up front were finding some space, all of this needs to be taken with a grain of salt as the opposition is as low as low can get on both personnel and confidence but you can only beat who you’re playing and the two talls filled up their boots, West Coast sorely missing McGovern in defence, Port had 15 marks inside 50 at ¾ time, well above the season average of 10 . Farrell made a welcome return and put his class on display with a precision finish from the boundary and the back half kept warm in the fading sun as the Eagles again failed to register a major. I had some empathy for them, Port took well over an hour to score against Melbourne, not saying Melbourne / Port have anything in common, but it’s the lack of confidence the Eagles showed that I’d seen just 2 weeks earlier from my own side.

As expected the 60 point lead at the last change had the Port side pretty comfortable and the Eagles grabbed majors to Kennedy, Darling ( I can’t help but think of Captain Darling ) and Ryan in the first 10 minutes and a mini comeback had been mounted. That was that though as Port piled on another run of 7 unanswered. Finlayson and Marshall ended up with 5 each and the midfield got forward as the Port defensive press was again on display. I’ve written over and over again in recent years how our back half press is so important to our set up and from half time of the Carlton game we’ve seen it start to emerge. It’s the back bone of our game plan and without it we’re vulnerable. Aliir still doesn’t look quite right but his importance to our structure can’t be under estimated and he’ll be better every run he gets. We’ve been slow moving the ball from the back half this year which makes our press hard to build, the likes of Byrne-Jones, Burton and Houston need to get the ball going and they did so on the weekend, Byrne-Jones in his best game for the year.

I’m aware of the reasoning behind moving club favourite Hartlett on at the end of last year but don’t feel as though we’ve replaced his important long kicking and ball use, we need to nail that role down if we’re going to build into this season. It’s not Bergman, his ball use is precise and he plays more midfield like, is it Lachie Jones with his flat out approach or is it Bonner who needs to slide back from the wing? Not sure it’s any of them and I’d like to see Frederick given a chance to run off half back, Farrell’s inclusion may mean Houston spends less time in the midfield and Duursma was solid at SANFL level with 27 touches, 6 tackles and 5 clearances although he appeared to have some discomfort late in the game on the shoulder/ collar bone he’s been carrying, still some work to do finding the right balance across the back half of the midfield when it comes to our attacking movement.

Could make mention of several players in the best, I’ll give mentions to Amon who earnt a selection reprieve after Bergman went out with a shoulder complaint and Byrne-Jones who had a go with his run and carry, wasn’t perfect but it was good to see some intent.

Boons best – Rozee, Marshall, Wines, Finlayson, Boak, Drew, Houston

Off to Cairns we go to take on the Saints in a home away from home match for them, Port saluted in both games against Saints in 2021, but this is two teams on a different trajectory in 2022. St Kilda will regain Ryder from suspension to cover the agonising loss of Jack Hayes, what an awful story that one has become after such a bright start to his AFL journey and Ports back half will have the in form King, Higgins and Membrey to deal with. On the flip side Port’s front half is creating some space for the big men to move in and we’re hitting the scoreboard with 13 and 18 majors in the last two weeks.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7450 times
Been liked: 10717 times

Postby The Dark Knight » Thu Apr 28, 2022 9:32 pm

Port unchanged for this weekend against St Kilda. Hinkley said in his press conference today that they will take 26 players to Cairns so they must be taking all 4 of their emergencies- Duursma, McEntee, Mayes and Pasini but then Jones has been dropped from the Power but not named for the Magpies.

Good to see that Amon retains his spot and is named on the wing.
The Dark Knight
Coach

Has liked: 10268 times
Been liked: 1496 times
Grassroots Team: North Haven

Postby Lightning McQueen » Fri Apr 29, 2022 10:53 am

The Dark Knight wrote:Port unchanged for this weekend against St Kilda. Hinkley said in his press conference today that they will take 26 players to Cairns so they must be taking all 4 of their emergencies- Duursma, McEntee, Mayes and Pasini but then Jones has been dropped from the Power but not named for the Magpies.

Jones played for both teams last weekend if my eyes weren't deceiving me.
HOGG SHIELD DIVISION V WINNER 2018.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Has liked: 4336 times
Been liked: 7884 times

Postby Booney » Fri Apr 29, 2022 11:04 am

Lightning McQueen wrote:
The Dark Knight wrote:Port unchanged for this weekend against St Kilda. Hinkley said in his press conference today that they will take 26 players to Cairns so they must be taking all 4 of their emergencies- Duursma, McEntee, Mayes and Pasini but then Jones has been dropped from the Power but not named for the Magpies.

Jones played for both teams last weekend if my eyes weren't deceiving me.

Indeed he did.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby carey » Sat Apr 30, 2022 1:56 pm

MW wrote:
DOC wrote:The posters from the forum
My God you should of saw them
Every post was a bloody farce
Until Carey finally got a #dickinthearse

*“all the characters and events depicted are fictitious. Any resemblance to a person living or dead is purely coincidental”.

As the recipient I can tell you it was not fictitious :lol:

Not one of my finest moments!
you've gota keep on keep'n on .........
carey
Coach

Has liked: 2791 times
Been liked: 2984 times
Grassroots Team: Paralowie

Postby Booney » Sat Apr 30, 2022 7:23 pm

carey wrote:
MW wrote:
DOC wrote:The posters from the forum
My God you should of saw them
Every post was a bloody farce
Until Carey finally got a #dickinthearse

*“all the characters and events depicted are fictitious. Any resemblance to a person living or dead is purely coincidental”.

As the recipient I can tell you it was not fictitious :lol:

Not one of my finest moments!

Well.... :lol:
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby Booney » Mon May 02, 2022 11:48 am

It wasn’t a game for the ages and even the most ardent of Port fans would struggle to sit through that replay ( I did though ) as the conditions in Cairns made it one of the scrappiest affairs in recent memory, nonetheless Port Adelaide head home from FNQ with the 4 points after a nail biting 1 point win over the in form Saints and make it back to back wins to get season 2022 rolling.

Plagued by another slow start that is becoming more the rule than the exception and something that needs to quickly be corrected the Saints got the jump on us early as the midfield gave up early possession and in a sign of the night ahead, the territory, resulting in 2 goals to none in the opening term. The St Kilda midfield was well on top, generating 24 inside 50’s for the term to Port’s 8 and up 13 in contested possession. Not only did we look unlikely to get the ball deep into our 50 when we did it was coming straight back out, however at the other end Aliir was reading most St Kilda entries and controlling the air defensively. Worryingly the Saints in form forwards in King and Higgins had both had a shot on goal and again looked dangerous.

Higgins in the action upon resumption and the Saints have the first 3, moments later Wines replied for Port Adelaide and the arm wrestle began. From here on in the match was played out between the 50m arcs and all signs pointed at who would hold up defensively on the night not made for attack. ( Here he goes about Ports zone ). Aliir was holding the high entries at bay ( 4 intercept marks for the term ) and Clurey won a couple of important one-on-ones deep to keep Port in the game as the Saints struggled to get out of our press. There’s been a bit of a reshuffle across half back in the last two weeks, Houston has gone back there after a stint in the midfield and looks more at home. We all love seeing him sending the ball inside 50 but some personnel changes down back with those who use the ball well ( Hartlett and McKenzie ) means he’s needed back there more and with the emergence of Rozee in the midfield he can spend more time there. Looks more balanced with him doing so.

After the main break we saw the importance of good hands in the wet slippery conditions, Gray kicked 2 and Farrell one to bring the margin back to level pegging as the Saints kept kicking themselves out of it. Bad kicking is bad football and Port have 3.2 for the term to St Kilda’s 7 behinds, many of them were gettable and it felt like it would be costly in a low scoring affair. Tellingly Ports goals had come from defensive chains, 2 goals from 11 plays that started in the back half after no scores from 54 in the first half. We began to use the ball with more efficiency as the likes of Burton ( 10 touches at 73% ) Farrell ( 3 kicks at 100% ) and the surprising Dumont ( 5 kicks at 100% ) all massaged the ball from hand, to foot to team mate. Dumont has been solid, he showed a wise head several times on Saturday night and his inclusion, much like Mayes in recent years, shows that experience counts for plenty when it’s truly needed. While those three didn’t have a lot of it when they did across half back and the wing it meant the ball was going our way and those defensive chain scores are the result.

I must say the first 5 minutes of the last term had me thinking our bubble had burst, the 7 behinds the Saints had in the third term quickly turned into 2 marks deep for King, he kicked one and missed one but it felt like they were about to capitalize on their entries instead of wasting them. At the other end Marshall did exactly what we needed. He found space as we rushed forward and a sublime left foot snap from Burton hit him on the chest and gave him a good look at it. There’s Burton again. There’s his class again. It wasn’t the night for big forwards and Marshall had another quiet night but I felt like he did a couple of things at the right time, bringing us back within a point with a major from range was certainly one of them. Now it gets tense. Now my neighbours start to hear their windows rattle. Every contest is huge, Aliir does his best at one end, Howard spoils us at the other, Farrell and Marshall compete in the air and bring the ball to ground, Wanganeen-Milera ( how well does this kid use the ball – normally ) and Higgins swoop but miss for them. It was always going to come down to the right man in the right moment and Aliir stood tall in the back half, Wines stands tall in the middle and Port’s ice man, Robbie Gray, knowing a score will do takes the shot and nails the match winning behind from the boundary. Team play says centre it. Grays game smarts say get a score. Any score.

Really difficult game to line up the best, behind Aliir anyway. His intercept game was back close to his best and without him you feel as though we wouldn’t have been in the game at half time. Honourable mentions to Dumont who played his role, Hayes who stuck at it against Ryder and Campbell and Farrell who has shown his class in the last two weeks and why the club rates him so highly and Sam Powell-Pepper who was built for the conditions.

Boon’s best – Aliir, Burton, Wines, Clurey, Gray, Houston

Home for Friday night frothies against the Bulldogs who are stop start at best with their form in 2022. The game truly shapes as season defining for Port Adelaide. At home. Friday night lights. The chance to go 3-5 and keep in touch with the 8. I’ll be there!
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby tigerpie » Mon May 02, 2022 6:26 pm

Been listening to the media prattle on on how bad conditions were and the standard of the game.
Yeah it was a slog but its an outdoors game.
You'd think it never rained down south anymore.
If I'm Hinckley or Ratten I'm saying ....well we got out unscathed, it could bucket down gf day or any other final day or night so this is great practice for those conditions under genuine match pressure.

I don't mind a slog because that's when you see class stand up and Robbie Gray has it. Joy to watch when he's not flopping.
Great players adapt to the conditions, good players sook it.
tigerpie
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 497 times
Been liked: 429 times

Postby stan » Mon May 02, 2022 8:40 pm

tigerpie wrote:Been listening to the media prattle on on how bad conditions were and the standard of the game.
If I'm Hinckley or Ratten I'm saying ....well we got out unscathed, it could bucket down gf day or any other final day or night so this is great practice for those conditions under genuine match pressure.

I don't mind a slog because that's when you see class stand up and Robbie Gray has it. Joy to watch when he's not flopping.
The media need something to talk about. Need to justify there jobs somehow.
Read my reply. It is directed at you because you have double standards
stan
Coach

Has liked: 88 times
Been liked: 1252 times
Grassroots Team: Goodwood Saints

Postby Booney » Tue May 03, 2022 9:45 am

tigerpie wrote:Been listening to the media prattle on on how bad conditions were and the standard of the game.

There's wet, which I think can often make the ball a bit tacky ( particularly red footys during the day, not so much yellow ones at night ) then there's down right slippery, the conditions on Saturday night were terrible for footy. Humidity at 88%, players sweating, it was worse than a wet day game by a considerable margin.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby Wedgie » Tue May 03, 2022 10:17 am

Booney wrote:

There's wet, which I think can often make the ball a bit tacky ( particularly red footys during the day, not so much yellow ones at night ) then there's down right slippery, the conditions on Saturday night were terrible for footy. Humidity at 88%, players sweating, it was worse than a wet day game by a considerable margin.

Agreed, a couple of my mates were there and they said they'd never seen conditions like it and they're almost 60.
Wedgie
Site Admin

Has liked: 2009 times
Been liked: 3846 times
Grassroots Team: Noarlunga

Postby MW » Tue May 03, 2022 1:24 pm

I might have mentioned this before 8) but i do a fair bit of running, and when it's humid the sweat is literally pouring off me, and i mean literally as in hard to see with a tap running from the peak of my cap. That is not sprinting etc so hate to think what these guys are going through.
MW
Coach

Has liked: 2567 times
Been liked: 1811 times

Postby Rik E Boy » Wed May 04, 2022 1:35 pm

MW wrote:I might have mentioned this before 8) but i do a fair bit of running, and when it's humid the sweat is literally pouring off me, and i mean literally as in hard to see with a tap running from the peak of my cap. That is not sprinting etc so hate to think what these guys are going through.

Try it in Ippy in Summer. One year I was doing 15k runs at 1530 in December. Why I do not know lol. It's great prep for winter running events and it stripped the fat off me even when I was eating shit and drinking beer. Now I can't run out of sight on a dark night.

regards,

REB
Rik E Boy
Coach

Has liked: 1687 times
Been liked: 1809 times

Postby Lightning McQueen » Wed May 04, 2022 5:00 pm

Rik E Boy wrote:
MW wrote:I might have mentioned this before 8) but i do a fair bit of running, and when it's humid the sweat is literally pouring off me, and i mean literally as in hard to see with a tap running from the peak of my cap. That is not sprinting etc so hate to think what these guys are going through.

Try it in Ippy in Summer. One year I was doing 15k runs at 1530 in December. Why I do not know lol. It's great prep for winter running events and it stripped the fat off me even when I was eating shit and drinking beer. Now I can't run out of sight on a dark night.

regards,

REB

With VCR's under the armpit?
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Postby Booney » Mon May 09, 2022 12:04 pm

Port Adelaide have secured their third win in a row after holding off the Western Bulldogs by 17 points despite a goalless final term at frosty Adelaide Oval on Friday night.

In front of 30,000 rugged up punters the Bulldogs opened the first term with the first 3 clearances of the night (2 centre) and took advantage with majors to McNeil and Smith while at the other end at the 10 minute mark Port had just 1 inside 50 and no scores to show for it. How that soon changed. Gray, Motlop, Finlayson and Powell-Pepper all kicked truly from very getable positions, a sign the forward line had been working together as Ports offence created deep entries in front of goal, 5 marks inside 50 on the back of good forward craft creating separation The Bulldogs had Naughton on fire at one end with 2 majors for the term and the high quality opening finished with Gray answering the Bulldogs big man with his second for the term. 5 straight in the opening quarter the brightest start for Port this year.

In the second term both sides clamped down on the clearances, Port had 9 around the ground and the Bulldogs 6 in the middle in the first term and neither side wanted to allow such dominance in either part of the contest. Marshall majored and Finalyson added his second as young Hayes got on top in the ruck, 8 hitouts for the term, 6 to advantage and the likes of Boak, Rozee and Wines were taking advantage of this and the forwards were loving it. 7 scores from 12 I50’s, not numbers Port forwards usually deliver. More on that later.

It was during the third term Port Adelaide put the game to bed, 5 goals to 2 and the defence – midfield – forward movement was the best Port has produced this year, arguably for a few years. Contested marks by Marshall and Finlayson opened up the Dogs defence as we moved from half back to the goal front quickly to players in space and again many of Ports 5 goals came from close to goal. It’s not typical of our forward entries, usually we scrap and scrape our way forward with contest after contest and have repeat entry after entry with wide shots on goal from range. This forward mix looks different, I like it. More on the later.
The last term wasn’t much of a spectacle, the Dogs were running on empty losing 3 players in the game, Port had chances (6 points for the term) and the game was mostly played between the two 50m arcs. One notable in the term, Wines, he took Ports 20th mark inside 50 before skewing the kick, 20 marks in side 50. We were averaging 11 before Friday night. Here’s the more part.

It’s a small sample size but there’s a lot to like about the forward mix that’s missing key big man Charlie Dixon who returned via the SANFL on the weekend. Finlayson was dropped earlier in the year, perhaps growing accustomed to new surroundings and Georgiades has been down with his output but as a collective the forward half, particularly the big men, hasn’t looked this effective for some time.

We’ve seen Marshall elevate his game to another level, Finlayson has 9 goals in 4 games since coming back in (he kicked 6 in the SANFL to earn a recall) and Gray is loving the freedom of being alone deep with 5 goals in 3 games since coming back from injury. It doesn’t feel like any of the keys are playing just one role, there appears to be flexibility and a different look, so the question is, does Dixon come back in? I think he’ll need another run, at least, at SANFL level and with the SA state game this weekend he can get a block of training in before another hit out, or, does he head to Tassie to play North? I hope they keep him home.

Boons best – Boak, Marshall, Finlayson, Rozee, Bonner
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby Lightning McQueen » Mon May 09, 2022 12:10 pm

Gee that Marshall kid has some potential, I can't believe that Port supporters ever doubted his ability.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Postby Jim05 » Mon May 09, 2022 12:40 pm

Lightning McQueen wrote:Gee that Marshall kid has some potential, I can't believe that Port supporters ever doubted his ability.
That Ken bloke goes ok too, time to extend his contract ;)
Jim05
Coach

Has liked: 1125 times
Been liked: 3533 times
Grassroots Team: South Gawler

Postby Lightning McQueen » Mon May 09, 2022 12:50 pm

Jim05 wrote:
Lightning McQueen wrote:Gee that Marshall kid has some potential, I can't believe that Port supporters ever doubted his ability.
That Ken bloke goes ok too, time to extend his contract ;)

I think we might utilize the handbrake just there ;)
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Postby Booney » Tue May 10, 2022 5:23 pm

This one sucks, this kid has a game :

----------------------------------------------------------

PORT ADELAIDE defender Jake Pasini will miss the remainder of the season after rupturing the anterior cruciate ligament in his left knee.

Pasini suffered the injury when landing awkwardly in a marking contest at training on Tuesday morning.

The 21-year-old is expected to undergo reconstructive surgery later this week and spend several months rehabilitating.

“It is really unfortunate for Jake given his recent form and the consistency he has been developing in his game,” said Head of Medical Services, Tim O’Leary.

“He has had some challenges as a young player already, but we saw how hard he worked coming back from a shoulder reconstruction early last year and I have no doubt he will attack his rehabilitation with the same positivity and application.”

Pasini arrived at Alberton with the eighth pick in the 2019 rookie draft from Swan Districts in Western Australia.

He was unable to play a game in his first season after the club was forced to sit out the SANFL competition due to the outbreak of COVID-19 and managed eight SANFL games in 2021 after recovering from shoulder surgery.

In six SANFL games this season, the 193cm backman has performed strongly, averaging 17 disposals and five marks per game.

His form was rewarded when named as an AFL emergency for the first time for the Round 7 win over St Kilda in Cairns.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby Armchair expert » Thu May 12, 2022 10:49 pm

Karl Amon has said hell no to a contract extension with Port

= gone
Dave Warner will be missed!
Armchair expert