Round 6 Sturt vs Dogs Wigan Oval Sunday 2:10

All discussions to do with the SANFL

Re: Round 6 Sturt vs Dogs Wigan Oval Sunday 2:10

Postby whufc » Mon May 09, 2022 2:20 pm

Booney wrote:
Dogs64 wrote:
Booney wrote:"You’re all not true supporters. Nothing to do with our coach. We played we take responsibility for it, it’s not acceptable. If your not willing to support us through this you shouldn’t support us. But don’t try blame it on one person."

This is the dumbest thing anyone at a football club can say.

Why? I agree, a supporter not a barracker (or band waggoner) supports through the tough times as well as the good. Even if we have our worst team. Did you still follow the Port Magpies in 2000 to 2014 when they were mediocre and unsuccessful, before Port Power took them over?

All he was saying is don't blame the coach, the players take responsibility it's not acceptable, good on him.

Why? He's telling people if they don't want to support them now they shouldn't at all and he's been at the club what, 2 years? These people ( may or may not, granted ) have probably got generations of Centrals blood running in them and are frustrated where their once mighty club is at and he blows in and takes offence at some Facebook posts (of all places to do it) when the club gets thumped by 15 goals! You think it's a good idea?

Absolutely I have supported the Port Adelaide Football Club through thick and thin, more thick than thin in my time but no SANFL flag since 1999 and no AFL since 2004 and here I am, loud and proud. If, as I do now, think Hinkley should be moved on at the end of the year and voice that opinion only to have a second year recruit tell me I should move on if I don't want to support them I'd be telling him just how it is, sure as hell wouldn't be thanking him for telling me to f*ck off.

Thank you......someone who gets it.
RIP PH408 63notoutforever
whufc
Coach

Has liked: 5551 times
Been liked: 2513 times
Grassroots Team: BSR

Postby whufc » Mon May 09, 2022 2:27 pm

northerner wrote:
whufc wrote:
Dutchy wrote:
whufc wrote:PS. saw Aiden Grace comments......what a wanker.

His been at the club two minutes and thinks he can tell the fans there not true supporters. Most of those blokes posting did it tough for 30 odd years before our first premiership and they haven't seen a worse side than the current one. Him telling the fans 'you're all not true supporters' is bloody rich.

And now we have Paul Thomas responding to posts as well but not really in a constructive manner. Surely his been in the game long enough to know that when results like this year happen people are going to ask questions or be critical. To be fair the comments aren't even that bad other than 'the team has gone backwards', 'is Thomas the right man', 'Thommo isn't the right man'. I wouldn't call them completely unfair comments given the circumstances.

Yeah thats not a great look, good intentions but they are taking their eye off the ball if they are doing that

Yep to see the league coach get on a make one borderline sarcastic reply to only one poster who to be fair didn't say anything to critical other than maybe the coach is out their depth (not unfair criticism given the fact the club has gone backwards in his first 20 games in charge and there is almost zero positives and no light at the end of tunnel in regards to how he wants us to play)

Seeing this social medias has ,made me more concerned for the future of our club than ever before.

Are you part of the solution moving forward? You know its a community Club right?

I value much of what you say and who you are, but labelling Aiden a wanker is beyond reasonable. If you know this guy, he bleeds Doggie blood already. He had a big part to play in getting one of the recruits across this season. He is highly respected amongst the players and was pselectedinto the leadership group.
And...he is hurting.
If his well-intentioned remark ruffled your feathers, then thats on you, not him.
Well played Aiden, disappointing Ben.

PS...just as an exercise on our challenges:
Can you name more than 6 metro Clubs that are feeders for us? We would have the least metro feeders BY A MILE.... and yes, we have whinged and yet nothing is done... so what is your next suggestion?

If he wants to call family, life long friends not true supporters because they feel the club hasn't gone forward then I have no problem calling him a wanker.....to be honest that's been kind.

No wonder he struggles to get a kick on game day, if he gets so worked up by some fans suggesting the bloke that has a 5-20 record (approx.) might not be the right coach for the club.

This was always going to be a worry when a favourite son took over that they become untouchable from a critism point of view and that is exactly how it is panning out.

Just a thought if they club were a bit more engaging with their fans and communicated some of things they were doing to improve the current situation off field in particular our zone and recruiting the fans might be more understanding. Oh yeah you can go to the AGM...…..its 2022 the club should be leading in communication. FFS they still cant give any indication as to why the old coach is no longer there yet AFL clubs can announce when players receive are dropped for breaking the law etc etc...…….
whufc
Coach

Postby RB » Mon May 09, 2022 2:42 pm

whufc wrote:FFS they still cant give any indication as to why the old coach is no longer there

I don't think it's realistic to expect a club to do that. Do you?
R.I.P. the SANFL 1877 - 2013
RB
Coach

Has liked: 758 times
Been liked: 1068 times

Postby Pseudo » Mon May 09, 2022 2:44 pm

Booney wrote:"You’re all not true supporters. Nothing to do with our coach. We played we take responsibility for it, it’s not acceptable. If your not willing to support us through this you shouldn’t support us. But don’t try blame it on one person."

This is the dumbest thing anyone at a football club can say.

Yeah, anyone with a modicum of intelligence would've written "if you're not willing..."
Clowns OUT. Smears OUT. RESIST THE OCCUPATION.
Pseudo
Coach

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 1553 times
Grassroots Team: Marion

Postby Hazydog » Mon May 09, 2022 2:55 pm

Geez things have changed since we were that dominant over a decade a lot of other club supporters lost a lot of interest and resorted to blaming us for ruining the comp for being too good…good to see most are a bit chirpier now. FWIW..Northerner raises valid points about our poor/challenging recruitment pool.. and I can understand why we’ve received little if any respite from the SANFL given firstly our decade of dominance but probably more likely to do with our outspoken anti AFL stance. And yes, I’m not convinced players and coaches resorting to commenting on FB is the wisest move, even if it does demonstrate some passion that may be perceived not to be there.
It’s a double edged sword when supporters enjoy 9 flags in 12 years…a dominance that may never be repeated. We should be satisfied for life in some respects, but of course we aren’t. We feel embarrassed that we’ve sunk to the levels that most other clubs have experienced over the last 20 years and feel it’s beneath what we stand for. Yet Sturt, Glenelg, North, Ethelton, West… all went through more embarrassing periods of onfield ineptness and without the spectacular success we have had. ( Have I mentioned that already?)
Chill out Guys… we have to bide our time, work our way out of it and be supportive and patient.
Slagging off your own club is too easy and in my book, somewhat of a character flaw. (Often related to personal/emotional negative experiences like being told your services are no longer required etc.) Just my opinion of course…
Players win touches, Teams win matches, Clubs win Premierships.
Hazydog
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 112 times
Been liked: 190 times

Postby whufc » Mon May 09, 2022 3:19 pm

northerner wrote:
whufc wrote:
Dutchy wrote:
whufc wrote:PS. saw Aiden Grace comments......what a wanker.

His been at the club two minutes and thinks he can tell the fans there not true supporters. Most of those blokes posting did it tough for 30 odd years before our first premiership and they haven't seen a worse side than the current one. Him telling the fans 'you're all not true supporters' is bloody rich.

And now we have Paul Thomas responding to posts as well but not really in a constructive manner. Surely his been in the game long enough to know that when results like this year happen people are going to ask questions or be critical. To be fair the comments aren't even that bad other than 'the team has gone backwards', 'is Thomas the right man', 'Thommo isn't the right man'. I wouldn't call them completely unfair comments given the circumstances.

Yeah thats not a great look, good intentions but they are taking their eye off the ball if they are doing that

Yep to see the league coach get on a make one borderline sarcastic reply to only one poster who to be fair didn't say anything to critical other than maybe the coach is out their depth (not unfair criticism given the fact the club has gone backwards in his first 20 games in charge and there is almost zero positives and no light at the end of tunnel in regards to how he wants us to play)

Seeing this social medias has ,made me more concerned for the future of our club than ever before.

Are you part of the solution moving forward? You know its a community Club right?

I value much of what you say and who you are, but labelling Aiden a wanker is beyond reasonable. If you know this guy, he bleeds Doggie blood already. He had a big part to play in getting one of the recruits across this season. He is highly respected amongst the players and was pselectedinto the leadership group.
And...he is hurting.
If his well-intentioned remark ruffled your feathers, then thats on you, not him.
Well played Aiden, disappointing Ben.

PS...just as an exercise on our challenges:
Can you name more than 6 metro Clubs that are feeders for us? We would have the least metro feeders BY A MILE.... and yes, we have whinged and yet nothing is done... so what is your next suggestion?

On your challenge is a player zoned by their metro club or by their living address??? I believe its by address not club........has our zone population diminished.

Could be wrong but that's what im led to believe.
whufc
Coach

Postby whufc » Mon May 09, 2022 3:21 pm

RB wrote:
whufc wrote:FFS they still cant give any indication as to why the old coach is no longer there

Behaviour
Performance
Change of strategy and direction
Better man for the job become available

etc etc, I wouldn't think those kind of phrases would be to much to ask from a club you are a member of.
whufc
Coach

Postby mots02 » Mon May 09, 2022 3:31 pm

Hazydog wrote:Geez things have changed since we were that dominant over a decade a lot of other club supporters lost a lot of interest and resorted to blaming us for ruining the comp for being too good…good to see most are a bit chirpier now. FWIW..Northerner raises valid points about our poor/challenging recruitment pool.. and I can understand why we’ve received little if any respite from the SANFL given firstly our decade of dominance but probably more likely to do with our outspoken anti AFL stance. And yes, I’m not convinced players and coaches resorting to commenting on FB is the wisest move, even if it does demonstrate some passion that may be perceived not to be there.
It’s a double edged sword when supporters enjoy 9 flags in 12 years…a dominance that may never be repeated. We should be satisfied for life in some respects, but of course we aren’t. We feel embarrassed that we’ve sunk to the levels that most other clubs have experienced over the last 20 years and feel it’s beneath what we stand for. Yet Sturt, Glenelg, North, Ethelton, West… all went through more embarrassing periods of onfield ineptness and without the spectacular success we have had. ( Have I mentioned that already?)
Chill out Guys… we have to bide our time, work our way out of it and be supportive and patient.
Slagging off your own club is too easy and in my book, somewhat of a character flaw. (Often related to personal/emotional negative experiences like being told your services are no longer required etc.) Just my opinion of course…

Agreed, you certainly don't hold a mortgage on ineptness..... FYI - Sturt are the champions there, no one comes close to our 1990 - 1996 record of shite.

You also don't hold a mortgage on periods of sustained spectacular success.

Port won 9 out of 12 between 1988 and 1999

Sturt won 7 of 11 between 1966 and 1976.

Doesn't make the hard times any easier or tougher and doesn't make the next good time any less sweet - its all a cycle that all clubs go through and supporters need to deal with.
mots02
League - Top 5

Has liked: 134 times
Been liked: 845 times
Grassroots Team: Reynella

Postby Hazydog » Mon May 09, 2022 3:43 pm

Maybe don’t hold the mortgage but we have a decent share of it!
All I’m trying to articulate is that Dogs fans might be losing a bit of perspective. Some seem to forget that we were mighty relived just to win a final after a 20 odd year drought .. let alone allow ourselves the luxury of thinking we could win that one flag that would send us all to our grave happy.
Expectations obviously higher nowadays..
Hazydog
League Bench Warmer

Postby Hazydog » Mon May 09, 2022 3:52 pm

?[/quote]

On your challenge is a player zoned by their metro club or by their living address??? I believe its by address not club........has our zone population diminished.

Could be wrong but that's what im led to believe.[/quote]

Having lived in the northern suburbs since the 70s there’s clearly a different demographic nowadays. Ageing population for one, much higher propensity of refugees/ immigrants that in the main will take a generation or two to assimilate to Aussie rules. Back in the day you could knock on dozens of school detention rooms in the area and pluck a few league standard rough diamonds out!

To your point, if a kid lives in Elizabeth he’s generally going to play for one of the local junior sides yeah?
Hazydog
League Bench Warmer

Postby gazzamagoo » Mon May 09, 2022 3:53 pm

Hazydog wrote:Geez things have changed since we were that dominant over a decade a lot of other club supporters lost a lot of interest and resorted to blaming us for ruining the comp for being too good…good to see most are a bit chirpier now. FWIW..Northerner raises valid points about our poor/challenging recruitment pool.. and I can understand why we’ve received little if any respite from the SANFL given firstly our decade of dominance but probably more likely to do with our outspoken anti AFL stance. And yes, I’m not convinced players and coaches resorting to commenting on FB is the wisest move, even if it does demonstrate some passion that may be perceived not to be there.

Brilliant!!
gazzamagoo
League - Top 5

Has liked: 1656 times
Been liked: 643 times
Grassroots Team: Salisbury

Postby gazzamagoo » Mon May 09, 2022 3:53 pm

whufc wrote:
RB wrote:

Behaviour
Performance

etc etc, I wouldn't think those kind of phrases would be to much to ask from a club you are a member of.

When did you become a member
gazzamagoo
League - Top 5

Postby whufc » Mon May 09, 2022 3:55 pm

Hazydog wrote:Maybe don’t hold the mortgage but we have a decent share of it!
All I’m trying to articulate is that Dogs fans might be losing a bit of perspective. Some seem to forget that we were mighty relived just to win a final after a 20 odd year drought .. let alone allow ourselves the luxury of thinking we could win that one flag that would send us all to our grave happy.

I can deal with us losing...……...geez I grew up playing aussie rules at Eastern Park (I never played in an aussie rules GF we were rubbish back then) and I support West Ham (that's bottom of the barrel) but what I cant stand is that the club has a feeling and appears of becoming a change resister both on and off the field.

We are probably the most outspoken club on ticket prices, recruiting, zones etc but what have we actually done to try and be better in those arrears. Over the last heap of years it feel like we have done a lot more whinging than action. This could be completely wrong but sadly our clubs communication to member has been extremely poor in recent years so unless you go knocking on the door asking you don't hear anything.....I work in a member based industry and from my perspective that's not how a well run members first club should be run. No wonder the community is getting disengaged with the club.

We had a coach come in and try and make some changes and that went down like a led balloon. Andrews may have done some off field staff worthy of his sacking I can buy that but I do also know that the relationship with him and the club went sour when he wanted to remove a couple of the old boys from assistant coaching positions which I think was well within the rights of a new coach and further evidence of a boys club existence down there.

I'm in a fortunate position now that I live over 2 hours away and play my own sport on the weekend so don't have to sit through each and every game but I know many blokes who have supported the club for 30+ years and have never been more disillusioned with the direction and lack of end in sight.

We may go on another 30 plus year drought and that's ok life goes on, just such as shame to see something that brought so much pride to the community and towns I grew up in (even in the 80-90's when we weren't winning flags) appear to have almost thrown up the white flag and said its all too hard for our club now. Maybe that's not the way it is but hey show the members that and we would understand a lot more.
whufc
Coach

Postby whufc » Mon May 09, 2022 3:56 pm

gazzamagoo wrote:
whufc wrote:
RB wrote:

Behaviour
Performance

When did you become a member

Always had a membership since around the lateish 90's when I turned 18, a couple of year off here and there for financial reasons. Had a heap of junior membership back in the day as well when Nan would pay for them :)

Admittedly haven't always had a home match/ season ticket depending on how many games I could go to in a year based on work/living placement.
whufc
Coach

Postby UK Fan » Mon May 09, 2022 3:57 pm

It’s just so unprofessional for any club offical to be replying to anything on social media. The people Involved with cdfc should have bigger things to worry about atm.

The fans gave plenty of praise round 1 when we lost to south and also when lost to the crows.

But Sunday was totally unacceptable. If Facebook comments annoy you ignore them.

This clubs culture is nasty atm. We are so far off the rest it’s a joke and whenever it gets made abundantly clear How far off we are the fans get told “you are being to negative/you’re not real supporters/do u have a membership”.

The club Has had its head in the sand For nearly a decade. We’ve spent more time denying the club has problems as opposed to fixing any problems.

I do feel for Thommo it’s hard to coach when u don’t have 22 blokes up to it and are constantly trying to plug holes week to week. But this is the squad we have.

No winners here lbh
Last edited by UK Fan on Mon May 09, 2022 3:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
fester69 wrote: I'm full of "pish and wind" !!You can call me weak !!

MW wrote: Well call me a special asshole!.

Booney wrote: I'm a happy clapper **** stick.

THE SKY HAS FALLEN!!!!
UK Fan
Coach

Has liked: 1196 times
Been liked: 500 times

Postby gazzamagoo » Mon May 09, 2022 3:58 pm

I'm happy because, after years of crap footy & crap thrown at us from other supporters, I witnessed 9 premierships.
I'm lucky now in that I have other interests,
footy ain't the be all and end all & I'm not going to have a stroke over footy.
But it is a flaw in your character if you need to constantly criticise and berate,
it gets you nowhere at all, try being constructive!
Put a smile on your dial!
gazzamagoo
League - Top 5

Postby Booney » Mon May 09, 2022 4:07 pm

Nobody ever did that.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7450 times
Been liked: 10718 times

Postby whufc » Mon May 09, 2022 4:10 pm

gazzamagoo wrote:

I'm happy because, after years of crap footy & crap thrown at us from other supporters, I witnessed 9 premierships.
I'm lucky now in that I have other interests,
footy ain't the be all and end all & I'm not going to have a stroke over footy.
But it is a flaw in your character if you need to constantly criticise and berate,
it gets you nowhere at all, try being constructive!
Put a smile on your dial!

Hey I’m the happiest I’ve ever been in life, even happier than the glory years of sex, drugs, rock n roll and Centrals premierships. :lol:

Doesn’t mean we can’t be critical and constructive on a footy forum.
whufc
Coach

Postby Hazydog » Mon May 09, 2022 4:20 pm

The Oils probably sum it up …Short Memory… no question some opposition supporters got sick of us dominating and expressed both things I mentioned and put it in writing on this forum (no I’m not going to trawl back!)
In fairness much like when Port dominated in the 80s.
Ancient history anyway…
Hazydog
League Bench Warmer

Postby am Bays » Mon May 09, 2022 4:29 pm

Booney wrote:

Nobody ever did that.

No dinkum SANFL fan ever did that, most saw it as a level of excellence to aspire too, not to drag you down.

Cant say there wasnt a minority <10% who whinged about you but the absolute majority looked on in grudging admiration.
Let that be a lesson to you Port, no one beats the Bays five times in a row in a GF and gets away with it!!!
am Bays
Coach

Has liked: 161 times
Been liked: 1802 times

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  SANFL