Round 6 Sturt vs Dogs Wigan Oval Sunday 2:10

All discussions to do with the SANFL

Re: Round 6 Sturt vs Dogs Wigan Oval Sunday 2:10

Postby whufc » Mon May 09, 2022 4:55 pm

Want constructive

One thing I’ve observed since moving up to the Mid North is the Eagles (who I consider the on field benchmark over the last ten years) willingness to bring in ‘outsiders’ into their club.

Off the top of my head, Jade Sheedy, Brian Hairada, Daniel Schell, Corey Ah Chee have all been involved in the Eagles over the last heap of years in various roles. All quality football brains whose previous clubs didn’t impact on them having a role

I look at our club and see the bloke hired to coach the league team presumably the man for the job, the best candidate not allowed to bring in his people because ‘club legends’ would be out of gig.

I think we need a massive shift and be open to new ideas from other clubs. Hopefully Edwards is the first step in that but it has to happen right from the top down to the junior development officers, coaches.

Just an observation.
Last edited by whufc on Mon May 09, 2022 6:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RIP PH408 63notoutforever
whufc
Coach

Has liked: 5564 times
Been liked: 2519 times
Grassroots Team: BSR

Postby Hazydog » Mon May 09, 2022 4:57 pm

am Bays wrote:
Booney wrote:
Hazydog wrote:Geez things have changed since we were that dominant over a decade a lot of other club supporters lost a lot of interest and resorted to blaming us for ruining the comp for being too good…good to see most are a bit chirpier now. FWIW..Northerner raises valid points about our poor/challenging recruitment pool.. and I can understand why we’ve received little if any respite from the SANFL given firstly our decade of dominance but probably more likely to do with our outspoken anti AFL stance. And yes, I’m not convinced players and coaches resorting to commenting on FB is the wisest move, even if it does demonstrate some passion that may be perceived not to be there.
It’s a double edged sword when supporters enjoy 9 flags in 12 years…a dominance that may never be repeated. We should be satisfied for life in some respects, but of course we aren’t. We feel embarrassed that we’ve sunk to the levels that most other clubs have experienced over the last 20 years and feel it’s beneath what we stand for. Yet Sturt, Glenelg, North, Ethelton, West… all went through more embarrassing periods of onfield ineptness and without the spectacular success we have had. ( Have I mentioned that already?)
Chill out Guys… we have to bide our time, work our way out of it and be supportive and patient.
Slagging off your own club is too easy and in my book, somewhat of a character flaw. (Often related to personal/emotional negative experiences like being told your services are no longer required etc.) Just my opinion of course…

Nobody ever did that.

No dinkum SANFL fan ever did that, most saw it as a level of excellence to aspire too, not to drag you down.

Cant say there wasnt a minority <10% who whinged about you but the absolute majority looked on in grudging admiration.

It was probably less than 1%… but I remember it did happen and it greatly amused me at the time.. and yeah, they I take your point they mightn’t have been true SANFL fans.

Back to the original thread topic .. maybe this is the drubbing we needed to have to stir the passion up a bit?? Silver lining and all that jazz…?
Players win touches, Teams win matches, Clubs win Premierships.
Hazydog
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 115 times
Been liked: 190 times

Postby whufc » Mon May 09, 2022 5:05 pm

And the perfect game this week against Norwood. Both our players and fans love a good biff with this mob. :lol:

Friday night as well, could be an anniversary for one very fateful night in 2000 :roll: ;)
whufc
Coach

Postby gazzamagoo » Mon May 09, 2022 5:18 pm

whufc wrote:And the perfect game this week against Norwood. Both our players and fans love a good biff with this mob. :lol:

Friday night as well, could be an anniversary for one very fateful night in 2000 :roll: ;)

Unfortunately We have to wait another week to Biff them.
The stupid state game is on this weekend.
gazzamagoo
League - Top 5

Has liked: 1656 times
Been liked: 643 times
Grassroots Team: Salisbury

Postby Spargo » Mon May 09, 2022 5:24 pm

gazzamagoo wrote:
whufc wrote:And the perfect game this week against Norwood. Both our players and fans love a good biff with this mob. :lol:

Unfortunately We have to wait another week to Biff them.
The stupid state game is on this weekend.

At least your blokes will get a rest…
2017 safooty NFL tipping champ

Don’t lose your grip on the dreams of the past
You must fight just to keep them alive...
Spargo
Coach

Has liked: 5456 times
Been liked: 5089 times
Grassroots Team: Sacred Heart OC

Postby Dogs64 » Mon May 09, 2022 5:32 pm

whufc wrote:PS. saw Aiden Grace comments......what a wanker.

His been at the club two minutes and thinks he can tell the fans there not true supporters. Most of those blokes posting did it tough for 30 odd years before our first premiership and they haven't seen a worse side than the current one. Him telling the fans 'you're all not true supporters' is bloody rich.

And now we have Paul Thomas responding to posts as well but not really in a constructive manner. Surely his been in the game long enough to know that when results like this year happen people are going to ask questions or be critical. To be fair the comments aren't even that bad other than 'the team has gone backwards', 'is Thomas the right man', 'Thommo isn't the right man'. I wouldn't call them completely unfair comments given the circumstances.

Aiden Grace, was supporting the coach and taking responsibility for the performance. "Nothing to do with our coach", "we played we take responsibility for it, it's not acceptable", "But don't try to blame it on one person". Again, I say good on him. As a player he understands it's not acceptable but don't blame the coach, pretty simple. I'm assuming his comments weren't necessarily directed at your selected quotes but maybe the three individuals that wrote 1) "Paul Thomas must resign immediately. You have failed", 2) We need a complete review and new leadership starting with the coach" and 3) "Time for the coach to go." If these three are supporters, they're entitled to their opinion, despite how wrong it would seem to many, including the players. They sound like those Richmond or Melbourne supporters that wanted to get rid of Hardwick or Goodwin early on. He's about 6 games into his second season, with an average squad, I wish the answer were as simple as removing the coach at this early stage but I'm not that naïve.
Dogs64
Under 16s

Has liked: 309 times
Been liked: 177 times

Postby gazzamagoo » Mon May 09, 2022 5:38 pm

Dogs64 wrote:

His been at the club two minutes and thinks he can tell the fans there not true supporters. Most of those blokes posting did it tough for 30 odd years before our first premiership and they haven't seen a worse side than the current one. Him telling the fans 'you're all not true supporters' is bloody rich.

And now we have Paul Thomas responding to posts as well but not really in a constructive manner. Surely his been in the game long enough to know that when results like this year happen people are going to ask questions or be critical. To be fair the comments aren't even that bad other than 'the team has gone backwards', 'is Thomas the right man', 'Thommo isn't the right man'. I wouldn't call them completely unfair comments given the circumstances.

Aiden Grace, was supporting the coach and taking responsibility for the performance. "Nothing to do with our coach", "we played we take responsibility for it, it's not acceptable", "But don't try to blame it on one person". Again, I say good on him. As a player he understands it's not acceptable but don't blame the coach, pretty simple. I'm assuming his comments weren't necessarily directed at your selected quotes but maybe the three individuals that wrote 1) "Paul Thomas must resign immediately. You have failed", 2) We need a complete review and new leadership starting with the coach" and 3) "Time for the coach to go." If these three are supporters, they're entitled to their opinion, despite how wrong it would seem to many, including the players. They sound like those Richmond or Melbourne supporters that wanted to get rid of Hardwick or Goodwin early on. He's about 6 games into his second season, with an average squad, I wish the answer were as simple as removing the coach at this early stage but I'm not that naïve.

Love his passion, should be more of it!

He said "I believe wins will come & so does Thommo.
I have belief in him as a coach and trust him with anything.
I couldn't help myself and I can't stand people blaming Thommo."

Probably shouldn't bitten but he's certainly got his heart in the right place.
gazzamagoo
League - Top 5

Postby whufc » Mon May 09, 2022 5:39 pm

I will clarify Grace message defending the coach is the right one…..it’s a ‘team’ effort.

All my critisim towards him was about making such a bold/irrational statement about our/his own supporter base (i haven’t posted on any of the Facebook threads)

The club as a whole has been very critical of its own supporters in recent years (remember granty having a crack at supporters for decreasing attendances a few years ago) unfairly in my opinion.
whufc
Coach

Postby whufc » Mon May 09, 2022 5:42 pm

gazzamagoo wrote:
Dogs64 wrote:

Where did he write that

I only could see the post that read ‘you’re not true supporters. Nothing to do with our coach. We played we take responsibility for it, it’s not acceptable. If your not willing to support us through this you shouldnt support us. But don’t blame it on one person.’

What you have written in your post would actually be very much appreciated and be a very acceptable post. I honestly couldn’t see that one though. Happy to be wrong though I might have missed it in over the 100 posts

Player Rhett Montgomery also wrote ‘so gutted and then I have to come home and read this shit’……. He doesn’t actually have to read it.

A person posted ‘time for thommo to go’ …..thommo himself then posted ‘and what would be your plan for the club from that point Jeff’ I’m guessing Jeff’s plan was to hire another coach. :lol:
whufc
Coach

Postby Hazydog » Mon May 09, 2022 5:51 pm

Meanwhile Sturt supporters sitting back laughing.. and rightly so. Mattner once again seemingly squeezing every ounce of potential out of a squad that doesn’t (at least on paper) appear to be anything outstanding. Is that an unfair criticism? AFL must surely be beckoning for him again at some stage?
Players win touches, Teams win matches, Clubs win Premierships.
Hazydog
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 115 times
Been liked: 190 times

Postby Dogs64 » Mon May 09, 2022 5:55 pm

Booney wrote:
Dogs64 wrote:
Booney wrote:"You’re all not true supporters. Nothing to do with our coach. We played we take responsibility for it, it’s not acceptable. If your not willing to support us through this you shouldn’t support us. But don’t try blame it on one person."

This is the dumbest thing anyone at a football club can say.

Why? I agree, a supporter not a barracker (or band waggoner) supports through the tough times as well as the good. Even if we have our worst team. Did you still follow the Port Magpies in 2000 to 2014 when they were mediocre and unsuccessful, before Port Power took them over?

All he was saying is don't blame the coach, the players take responsibility it's not acceptable, good on him.

Why? He's telling people if they don't want to support them now they shouldn't at all and he's been at the club what, 2 years? These people ( may or may not, granted ) have probably got generations of Centrals blood running in them and are frustrated where their once mighty club is at and he blows in and takes offence at some Facebook posts (of all places to do it) when the club gets thumped by 15 goals! You think it's a good idea?

Absolutely I have supported the Port Adelaide Football Club through thick and thin, more thick than thin in my time but no SANFL flag since 1999 and no AFL since 2004 and here I am, loud and proud. If, as I do now, think Hinkley should be moved on at the end of the year and voice that opinion only to have a second year recruit tell me I should move on if I don't want to support them I'd be telling him just how it is, sure as hell wouldn't be thanking him for telling me to f*ck off.

Yes, but I don't think you would've been calling for Hinkley to be sacked before given an opportunity. If a second year recruit, stood up for his/your coach less than a year and a half into his tenure at Port, surely you'd find that acceptable. Having a view on Hinkley ten years later is a fair bit different (particularly with the teams he's had) so a significantly different situation. I would have been more disappointed if the players weren't supporting the coach against calls for his axing.
Last edited by Dogs64 on Tue May 10, 2022 9:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dogs64
Under 16s

Has liked: 309 times
Been liked: 177 times

Postby gazzamagoo » Mon May 09, 2022 6:13 pm

whufc wrote:
gazzamagoo wrote:
Dogs64 wrote:

Where did he write that

I only could see the post that read ‘you’re not true supporters. Nothing to do with our coach. We played we take responsibility for it, it’s not acceptable. If your not willing to support us through this you shouldnt support us. But don’t blame it on one person.’

What you have written in your post would actually be very much appreciated and be a very acceptable post. I honestly couldn’t see that one though. Happy to be wrong though I might have missed it in over the 100 posts

He sent the messages directly to me.
gazzamagoo
League - Top 5

Postby whufc » Mon May 09, 2022 6:56 pm

His private message should have been public and his public message should have been private
whufc
Coach

Postby bulldogproud » Mon May 09, 2022 7:35 pm

am Bays wrote:
gazzamagoo wrote:Personally I LOVE the interaction! It shows that the players are fair dunkum & are fired Up! It just might get them over the line next match!
I think Aiden was calling the "supporters" that constantly put the players & club down not true supporters & he's 100% correct!
The ones that criticise all the time probably aren't even paid up members!

Have Centrals imploded??? ;)

8)

Rather than imploding, watch our boys react to yesterday's loss and absolutely EXPLODE against Norwood on Friday week. The week off gives us the perfect opportunity to steel ourselves for this game.
A Bulldog in winter; a WTDCC Eagle and OICC Wolf in Summer!
bulldogproud
League - Top 5

Has liked: 489 times
Been liked: 401 times
Grassroots Team: Imperials

Postby bulldogproud » Mon May 09, 2022 7:44 pm

gazzamagoo wrote:
Hazydog wrote:Maybe don’t hold the mortgage but we have a decent share of it!
All I’m trying to articulate is that Dogs fans might be losing a bit of perspective. Some seem to forget that we were mighty relived just to win a final after a 20 odd year drought .. let alone allow ourselves the luxury of thinking we could win that one flag that would send us all to our grave happy.
Expectations obviously higher nowadays..

I'm happy because, after years of crap footy & crap thrown at us from other supporters, I witnessed 9 premierships.
I'm lucky now in that I have other interests,
footy ain't the be all and end all & I'm not going to have a stroke over footy.
But it is a flaw in your character if you need to constantly criticise and berate,
it gets you nowhere at all, try being constructive!
Put a smile on your dial!

Also, despite going through a tough period at the moment, we can still look at a very proud record of 9 premierships and only 2 wooden spoons, with our last one being in 1977. No matter how hard we have been travelling, there has always been another club doing it tougher.
We may need to enjoy smaller successes at the moment, such as taking heart at our Ressies defeating Sturt on the weekend despite having lost to them by 10 goals just a fortnight ago.
Cheers
A Bulldog in winter; a WTDCC Eagle and OICC Wolf in Summer!
bulldogproud
League - Top 5

Has liked: 489 times
Been liked: 401 times
Grassroots Team: Imperials

Postby wedgetail » Mon May 09, 2022 10:13 pm

whufc wrote:Want constructive

One thing I’ve observed since moving up to the Mid North is the Eagles (who I consider the on field benchmark over the last ten years) willingness to bring in ‘outsiders’ into their club.

Off the top of my head, Jade Sheedy, Brian Hairada, Daniel Schell, Corey Ah Chee have all been involved in the Eagles over the last heap of years in various roles. All quality football brains whose previous clubs didn’t impact on them having a role

I look at our club and see the bloke hired to coach the league team presumably the man for the job, the best candidate not allowed to bring in his people because ‘club legends’ would be out of gig.

I think we need a massive shift and be open to new ideas from other clubs. Hopefully Edwards is the first step in that but it has to happen right from the top down to the junior development officers, coaches.

Just an observation.

Brian Haraida has been a constant at the Eagles for 5-6 years now under 3 coaches - Godden, Lonergan and Sheedy. That gives you an idea of how much he is respected at the club. Also, Shane Reardon has been exemplary as a junior coach (mainly u-18's) for many, many years and although an Eagles man, the stability of his presence is gold.
Ben Kane ex Sturt is an assistant this year.
Sheedy also uses to great effect former players of the club for opinions, mentoring, advice such as Justin Cicollela, Steven Hall and Luke Powell which is great for club culture.
Luck is where opportunity meets preparation
wedgetail
Under 18s

Has liked: 245 times
Been liked: 83 times

Postby northerner » Tue May 10, 2022 7:01 am

PS...just as an exercise on our challenges:
Can you name more than 6 metro Clubs that are feeders for us? We would have the least metro feeders BY A MILE.... and yes, we have whinged and yet nothing is done... so what is your next suggestion?[/quote]

On your challenge is a player zoned by their metro club or by their living address??? I believe its by address not club........has our zone population diminished.

Could be wrong but that's what im led to believe.[/quote][/quote]

Population has grown but the demographics of the Playford Council area has increasingly not been conducive to producing footballers.
We have 3 Clubs in the Council area... in Div 4 thru 6 of Ammos.
Why just 3 Clubs? We don't have the players. For what ever the reason, football is not on the agenda of the youngsters
The only player I am aware of from those Clubs playing at the Dogs right now is Presbury.
I cannot think of any other player at either the Dogs or any other league Club that is from the Playford Council area. I doubt any other metro Council has that poor a record.
By your over simplificatuon of this as being "population means equity" is mirroring the sanfls attitude to our metro zone and that's a huge part of our problem.
Blaming the coach (who ironically is a Playford product) is easy but ignores the larger problem and frustrations.
northerner
Reserves

Has liked: 206 times
Been liked: 429 times
Grassroots Team: Eastern Park

Postby whufc » Tue May 10, 2022 7:13 am

I've never just blamed the coach, I think he needs more time but im not convinced at this stage his the right man. Yes I am frustrated that im told on good authority that we did not follow best practise after Andrews was sacked and Thomas was given the job immediately without going to the market......that reeks of boys club mentality. I will say though now his in the role he needs to get all of this year regardless of results and then start as coach next year. Obviously if things haven't improved by mid next year (his third year) then his role needs to be considered.

Are we the only metro area that has seen a demographic shift...…………..I wouldn't think so. Is Angle Vale aligned to Centrals?.....I thought I read they have the most registered footballers out of any club in the state.

Also we have the massive luxury of having our country zone right on our door step...…….huge advantage. Boys in the mid north have to travel 2.5 hours to get out to eagles training twice a week to have a crack at that level. They do it because of the relationship the Eagles have built with the local clubs utilising blokes like Daniel Schell, Corey Achee and even Nick Prockopec who in partnership with the Eagles set up Football as a curriculum item at Clare high.

On a side note I cant think of too many metro boys that ended up winning flags with the dogs during our decade of dominance, the metro area was never really our strength. Thomas, Cochrane, Switala, Graham, Sansbury, Dew. Not to many over a 12 year period. Compare that to the list of Barossa boys.....Slade, Schell, Sibenaler, Mackenzie, Healy, Steinberner, Dutschke, Havelberg, O'Hara, Giles, Hurn, McArdle, McCabe, Symes, Nash, Obst, Westoff. Our strength when we were at our best was the Barossa zone and then ability to recruit *no name guns at SANFL level.

From the outside it appears the Barossa region just isn't producing the quality it once did for one reason or another......or are they keeping the talent in the BLG. Either way I think that is a greater concern than the current state of our metro zone.

I don't know much about much but for me the areas of concern at the club at present are, not that I have the answers:

-Recruiting, how can we do it better, how can we find jobs/houses in ideal locations to attract higher quality of players. Back in the day we had the luxury of having sponsors who were able to provide players with jobs thinking the real estate industry, zorich sports power and every second player was a school teacher. How do we improve this given the current world we live in. I don't have the answer and I accept it isn't easy but its a key to success.
-Junior development, why aren't our juniors developing past being decent reserves footballers, they seem to stall at that point
-Zone relationships, from the outside our relationships in the Barossa and metro seem to be ordinary, how can we build them up again. Clubs seem to be building players either for AFL football or their A grade...not for SANFL football. How do we get buy in with clubs in our zone.
-Best practises, how does a league coach get the gig without a proper recruiting campaign, we had Andrews who wasn't allowed his own assistants yet Thomas appears to be allowed his own bringing back assistants who were there 10 years ago. Someone needs to investigate whether we are following best hiring practises and not just giving jobs for the boys.

Imo if we can improve those four areas I think we can get back to better days, our finances seem to be 'ok' given the current climate, we have decent facilities for the players/administration and we have community once again thirsty for success.
whufc
Coach

Postby am Bays » Tue May 10, 2022 9:22 am

This is better than The Roost in its heyday 15 years ago
Let that be a lesson to you Port, no one beats the Bays five times in a row in a GF and gets away with it!!!
am Bays
Coach

Has liked: 162 times
Been liked: 1804 times

Postby whufc » Tue May 10, 2022 9:23 am

am Bays wrote:This is better than The Roost in its heyday 15 years ago

We have had too many years where we couldn't whinge at all so letting it all out.

In fairness there is a lot more to talk about / discuss when you are shit compared to when you are winning each week ;) :lol:......................you should probably know.
whufc
Coach

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  SANFL