Round 6 Sturt vs Dogs Wigan Oval Sunday 2:10

All discussions to do with the SANFL

Re: Round 6 Sturt vs Dogs Wigan Oval Sunday 2:10

Postby Mr Fuller » Tue May 10, 2022 9:49 am

wedgetail wrote:
whufc wrote:Want constructive

One thing I’ve observed since moving up to the Mid North is the Eagles (who I consider the on field benchmark over the last ten years) willingness to bring in ‘outsiders’ into their club.

Off the top of my head, Jade Sheedy, Brian Hairada, Daniel Schell, Corey Ah Chee have all been involved in the Eagles over the last heap of years in various roles. All quality football brains whose previous clubs didn’t impact on them having a role

I look at our club and see the bloke hired to coach the league team presumably the man for the job, the best candidate not allowed to bring in his people because ‘club legends’ would be out of gig.

I think we need a massive shift and be open to new ideas from other clubs. Hopefully Edwards is the first step in that but it has to happen right from the top down to the junior development officers, coaches.

Just an observation.

Brian Haraida has been a constant at the Eagles for 5-6 years now under 3 coaches - Godden, Lonergan and Sheedy. That gives you an idea of how much he is respected at the club. Also, Shane Reardon has been exemplary as a junior coach (mainly u-18's) for many, many years and although an Eagles man, the stability of his presence is gold.
Ben Kane ex Sturt is an assistant this year.
Sheedy also uses to great effect former players of the club for opinions, mentoring, advice such as Justin Cicollela, Steven Hall and Luke Powell which is great for club culture.

Is or was Ben Kane the main football coach at Henley High? Given the talent that comes through that school with much of it going to the Eagles (although Glenelg and Bloods also get a share of the players) having familiar mentors at the Eagles might help with attracting and/or pushing some of those kids through our system.
Mr Fuller
Reserves

Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 123 times

Postby Ronnie » Tue May 10, 2022 10:16 am

What Sturt do do well is develop their own and produce league players out of their system because recruiting has been very low key for a few years now. Challenge is will this approach be good enough to go against the likes of Eagles and Glenelg who supplement their lists with quality recruits year after year. Apart from Tom Lewis who I think skipped Reserves football most of them (Illman, Coomblas, Grivell, Voss etc) spent at least a year or two playing reserves football. It must be a reasonable environment as well to keep them there as even Penfold, a fringe player is still running around for Sturt and I remember him playing reserves footy back in 2014!
Ronnie
Reserves

Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 84 times

Postby whufc » Tue May 10, 2022 10:39 am

Ronnie wrote:What Sturt do do well is develop their own and produce league players out of their system because recruiting has been very low key for a few years now. Challenge is will this approach be good enough to go against the likes of Eagles and Glenelg who supplement their lists with quality recruits year after year. Apart from Tom Lewis who I think skipped Reserves football most of them (Illman, Coomblas, Grivell, Voss etc) spent at least a year or two playing reserves football. It must be a reasonable environment as well to keep them there as even Penfold, a fringe player is still running around for Sturt and I remember him playing reserves footy back in 2014!

Interestingly the results in their reserves haven't always been the best (compared to centrals who have been pretty decent in recent years) yet for one reason or another Sturt are producing enough reserves who end up quality at league football to keep the team performing better than us at present.
RIP PH408 63notoutforever
whufc
Coach

Has liked: 5565 times
Been liked: 2519 times
Grassroots Team: BSR

Postby bulldogproud » Tue May 10, 2022 11:17 am

Ronnie wrote:What Sturt do do well is develop their own and produce league players out of their system because recruiting has been very low key for a few years now. Challenge is will this approach be good enough to go against the likes of Eagles and Glenelg who supplement their lists with quality recruits year after year. Apart from Tom Lewis who I think skipped Reserves football most of them (Illman, Coomblas, Grivell, Voss etc) spent at least a year or two playing reserves football. It must be a reasonable environment as well to keep them there as even Penfold, a fringe player is still running around for Sturt and I remember him playing reserves footy back in 2014!

Would I be correct in stating that a number of Sturt's players have had the fortune of coming up through St. Peter's College or PAC though? They have excellent school programs that sure help.
A Bulldog in winter; a WTDCC Eagle and OICC Wolf in Summer!
bulldogproud
League - Top 5

Has liked: 489 times
Been liked: 401 times
Grassroots Team: Imperials

Postby another grub » Tue May 10, 2022 11:41 am

The Club need to come out on the front foot here and issue a statement
another grub
Coach

Has liked: 432 times
Been liked: 403 times

Postby northerner » Tue May 10, 2022 12:12 pm

We had Andrews who wasn't allowed his own assistants yet Thomas appears to be allowed his own bringing back assistants who were there 10 years ago. Someone needs to investigate whether we are following best hiring practises and not just giving jobs for the boys.

Say what?
Thommo brought just one assistant with him: Nick Russell, who has spent several years at Hawthorn and Power, surely a solid get.
What assistants did he recycle from 10 years ago?????
Jeff Brown is the only guy on the coaching panel who was around 10 years ago, and he certainly wasnt brought in by Thommo.
Andrews brought in his own cousin as a ruck coach. Did you know that?
Seems like you are backing the wrong horse if you want to discuss "jobs for the boys"
northerner
Reserves

Has liked: 206 times
Been liked: 429 times
Grassroots Team: Eastern Park

Postby UK Fan » Tue May 10, 2022 12:24 pm

northerner wrote:We had Andrews who wasn't allowed his own assistants yet Thomas appears to be allowed his own bringing back assistants who were there 10 years ago. Someone needs to investigate whether we are following best hiring practises and not just giving jobs for the boys.

Say what?
Thommo brought just one assistant with him: Nick Russell, who has spent several years at Hawthorn and Power, surely a solid get.
Jeff Brown is the only guy on the coaching panel who was around 10 years ago, and he certainly wasnt brought in by Thommo.
Seems like you are backing the wrong horse if you want to discuss "jobs for the boys"

We are 1-6 the Club loses by nearly 100 points and what a surprise northerners here to tell us everything at the club is fantastic. And you have no idea what you are talking about if You criticise.

YAWN

How many metro clubs did cdfc have during the Sanfls greatest dynasty btw ??
fester69 wrote: I'm full of "pish and wind" !!You can call me weak !!

MW wrote: Well call me a special asshole!.

Booney wrote: I'm a happy clapper **** stick.

THE SKY HAS FALLEN!!!!
UK Fan
Coach

Has liked: 1197 times
Been liked: 500 times

Postby whufc » Tue May 10, 2022 12:49 pm

Ill concede me saying Thommo brought in his own may not have been correct language but I stand by the 'club' sticking to their own boys. More so his allowed the status quo of assistant coaches remain after Andrews wanted to replace a couple.

I mean we have had 3 coaches in the last ten years yet there is still two of the same assistant coach there Platten and Brown.......…….yet one of the biggest criticisms especially during the later Laird era was as a club we were failing to adapt to modern footy.

Interesting to notice a Russell is one of the new coaches....genuine question any relation to Norm Russell by any chance.

I understand your need to be on the extremely positive side given you have/did/do have official roles within the club but putting our heads in sand is also just as harmful as being negative.

I don't lose any sleep over our performances but do find our drop an interesting discussion point. The drop was inevitable after our success but the length of time and the lack of light at the end of the tunnel has become the frustration.
whufc
Coach

Postby Dogs64 » Tue May 10, 2022 1:09 pm

UK Fan wrote:
northerner wrote:We had Andrews who wasn't allowed his own assistants yet Thomas appears to be allowed his own bringing back assistants who were there 10 years ago. Someone needs to investigate whether we are following best hiring practises and not just giving jobs for the boys.

Say what?

We are 1-6 the Club loses by nearly 100 points and what a surprise northerners here to tell us everything at the club is fantastic. And you have no idea what you are talking about if You criticise.

YAWN

Can't see and don't recall him ever stating "everything at the club is fantastic". Have noted some informative corrections to mistruths.
Dogs64
Under 16s

Has liked: 309 times
Been liked: 177 times

Postby Wedgie » Tue May 10, 2022 1:13 pm

Can I suggest perhaps a full review of football operations?
When North were crap just before their flag year supporters demanded a football review and the club eventually gave in when special meetings of members was brought into the picture.
The review went ahead in 2017, the recommendations were implemented and look at how we've gone since then comparably.
Wedgie
Site Admin

Has liked: 2021 times
Been liked: 3862 times
Grassroots Team: Noarlunga

Postby another grub » Tue May 10, 2022 1:15 pm

How much is that going to cost?
another grub
Coach

Has liked: 432 times
Been liked: 403 times

Postby Wedgie » Tue May 10, 2022 1:19 pm

another grub wrote:How much is that going to cost?

I'll do it for a carton of mismatch.
Wedgie
Site Admin

Has liked: 2021 times
Been liked: 3862 times
Grassroots Team: Noarlunga

Postby UK Fan » Tue May 10, 2022 1:30 pm

Dogs64 wrote:
UK Fan wrote:

Say what?

YAWN

Can't see and don't recall him ever stating "everything at the club is fantastic". Have noted some informative corrections to mistruths.

You’ll need to run them by me I must have missed them.

I’ve seen nothing but the same head In sand bs we’ve heard for a decade. It’s not the clubs fault and Then list same excuses we’ve heard for years.

Cdfc has only 3 metro clubs in our area is the most laughable claim I’ve read in this topic imho
Last edited by UK Fan on Tue May 10, 2022 1:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

THE SKY HAS FALLEN!!!!
UK Fan
Coach

Postby northerner » Tue May 10, 2022 1:35 pm

Wedgie wrote:Can I suggest perhaps a full review of football operations?
When North were crap just before their flag year supporters demanded a football review and the club eventually gave in when special meetings of members was brought into the picture.
The review went ahead in 2017, the recommendations were implemented and look at how we've gone since then comparably.

Hopefully this is happening.
Certainly Meggsy would be well aware of the issues that are keeping us at the wrong end of the ladder. He appears to be a "can do" kind of guy so the potential obstacles wont deter him.
The pathways up to and through the underage grades must be scrutinised. This is where our issues emanate from. We have had no underage success for so long. In our boom years we had the local talent in the underage teams who were winning Premierships. Our demographic has changed but we must find a way. We need to take the Club and the game to the people, visit the schools and the local clubs. Target individuals in those Clubs and develop solid pathways for them WITHOUT putting their Club on the outer by directing them away from their Club. Send a few players to train at these Clubs for a night. Present trophies at Awards nights. Hold a series of sessions aimed at young teens from other cultures who might not otherwise try the game. It takes effort, and probably money/resources that arent so readily accessible, but we have to find a way.
Unfortunately positive shifts in these areas wont result in an immediate fix.
Last edited by northerner on Tue May 10, 2022 1:42 pm, edited 2 times in total.
northerner
Reserves

Has liked: 206 times
Been liked: 429 times
Grassroots Team: Eastern Park

Postby whufc » Tue May 10, 2022 1:37 pm

100% but I don't believe the club has intestinal fortitude to admit that our current status is anyone at the clubs fault and rather we are a victim of circumstances as Northerner has pointed out on many occasions.

Probably does need a special meeting of members.
whufc
Coach

Postby whufc » Tue May 10, 2022 1:38 pm

another grub wrote:How much is that going to cost?

Can we afford not to, we keep performing the way we have the last 7-8 years is going to cost us a lot more.
whufc
Coach

Postby UK Fan » Tue May 10, 2022 2:57 pm

“Interesting to notice a Russell is one of the new coaches....genuine question any relation to Norm Russell by any chance.”

He is Norm Russell’s grandson.

THE SKY HAS FALLEN!!!!
UK Fan
Coach

Postby whufc » Tue May 10, 2022 4:47 pm

northerner wrote:

Hopefully this is happening.
Certainly Meggsy would be well aware of the issues that are keeping us at the wrong end of the ladder. He appears to be a "can do" kind of guy so the potential obstacles wont deter him.
The pathways up to and through the underage grades must be scrutinised. This is where our issues emanate from. We have had no underage success for so long. In our boom years we had the local talent in the underage teams who were winning Premierships. Our demographic has changed but we must find a way. We need to take the Club and the game to the people, visit the schools and the local clubs. Target individuals in those Clubs and develop solid pathways for them WITHOUT putting their Club on the outer by directing them away from their Club. Send a few players to train at these Clubs for a night. Present trophies at Awards nights. Hold a series of sessions aimed at young teens from other cultures who might not otherwise try the game. It takes effort, and probably money/resources that arent so readily accessible, but we have to find a way.
Unfortunately positive shifts in these areas wont result in an immediate fix.

100% agree with this
whufc
Coach

Postby whufc » Tue May 10, 2022 4:49 pm

UK Fan wrote:“Interesting to notice a Russell is one of the new coaches....genuine question any relation to Norm Russell by any chance.”

He is Norm Russell’s grandson.

Really :roll:
whufc
Coach

Postby knowledge » Tue May 10, 2022 4:51 pm

bulldogproud wrote:

Would I be correct in stating that a number of Sturt's players have had the fortune of coming up through St. Peter's College or PAC though? They have excellent school programs that sure help.

On the contrary, we have to reeducate them when they come back from independent school programs into playing their roles instead of running around like unregistered dogs trying to get every kick they can. I don't know what they try to each them at school footy, but, it's certainly not structure...
knowledge
Rookie

Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 74 times

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  SANFL